Disneylands Frontierland vs WDW Frontierland

Hattieboxghost110

I love your perspective on the DL Haunted Mansion, but I completely disagree with you about Splash Mountain Kira. Here are the top 10 reasons why I think DL Splash Mountain is superior to the one at WDW.

1. Briar Patch-The one at DW looks cartoony and fake with super bright colors and exaggerated dimensions. The briar patch at DL looks more realistic with better proportions.

2. Animatronics-The Disneyland version is chock full of AA's, clocking in at 103. The other version has significantly less.

3. Final Drop-The DL version has a more thrilling drop due to the fact that it is steeper and has single file seating.

4. Chickapin Hill-The mountain at DL is more beautiful because it has a natural-looking color scheme with earth tones and muted colors.

5. Location-Splash Mountain takes place in the South and is a Southern tale. It makes absolutely ZERO sense at WDW to be located in Frontierland. The mini-land of Critter Country makes a lot more sense, especially because it is next to New Orleans Square.

6. Soundtrack-Compensating for the ridiculous decision to put a Southern story in a Western setting, DW had to create a "frontier" soundtrack with awful banjo music. The DL soundtrack is charming and the sound fits perfectly with the theme and setting.

7. Grand Finale-It is grander at DL with more creatures and a nicer, bigger boat.

8. Transitions-It doesn't makes sense that the song, "Everybody has a laughin' place" begins before the drop in the dark at DW. At Disneyland, the song begins once you actually drop into the rainbow caverns in the darkness.

9. Layout-The layout at DW is basically long, slow stretches during the indoor portion. As stated before, there are much less AA"s so it can feel a bit lifeless, especially considering that a lot of the design when to elaborate set pieces. At DL, there are many twists and turns in the indoor portion with a more exciting layout and speed.

Now to the MOST IMPORTANT reason why Splash Mountain is superior at Disneyland.

10. Burrow's Lament-For some stupid reason, they cut this scene out at DW! Maybe it was too scary for the kids. It is my absolutely favorite part of the whole ride.It perfectly creates anxiety and anticipation for the final drop. It's actually a rather dark scene with morbid lyrics and an ominous tone. Here is a portion of the song:

What can poor Br'er Rabbit do,
To keep from becoming rabbit stew?
Mournin' Br'er Rabbit is wasting my breath!
The rabbit is facing certain death!

The song is about death and despair. Br'er Rabbit's "mom" is mourning and warning her little ones on what is about to happen to her son. It's absolutely brilliant and is the highlight for me every time I ride.

grnflash

2. Animatronics-The Disneyland version is chock full of AA's, clocking in at 103. The other version has significantly less.

And here's the reason WDW gets the win for the ride. Yes, DL's drop is better. Its pacing is better. Its location is better. It does indeed have more animatronics...and more broken, missing, unlit animatronics - which is a huge storytelling buster. I still love the ride but until DL can properly maintain it, I can't even consider it for the win.

peterpanic74

Splash Mtn is probably my favorite ride. I agree that the final hill is more exciting at DL, but I've come around to thinking that the MK one is slightly superior. It may have fewer AA's, but the ones it does have are created for the ride, and not transplanted from America Sings. This is only relevant if, like me, you have strong memories of America Sings. Both great rides, though, and somewhat underappreciated by folks who hate getting wet.

Professortango1

Disneyland's because it actually feels like a little Western street. In WDW, its too big with this insanely wide flat walkway for the parade and shops only line one side of the street rather than engulfing you. I prefer DL's Splash Mountain because of the number of figures, pacing, additional songs, better transitions, and the fact your splash down into the Rivers of America, not a weird enclosed park; but I do wish DL's version was better maintained and had the brighter sets for the How Do You Do scene.

Phroobar

I basically disagree, but I appreciate DL's as well.

I like the hopping rabbit in WDW version that you can clearly see is on a rotating stick. Very chintzy and charming.
This is much more charming.

tumblr_inline_mpsm9scuCb1qz4rgp.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't really like that scene in the DL version. It looks incomplete and it's a bear butt in your face again. It's the same type of gag that you just went by where he's hanging from the rope with his butt next to the log. Enough bear butts in our faces. That whole part of the ride feels very slapped together. At WDW, it makes more sense:

to-laughing-place-splash-mountain-425x640.jpg

It's so obvious WDW's is better overall, but I respect people who stick by the DL version. I do the same thing with the DL HM but everyone disagrees with me.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
The one in Tokyo is my hands down favorite of the three. Located in Critter Country, as it should be, so it's fanciful like the original at Disneyland but with a much larger scale.

shortstop

Come on, look at how awful and tacky this looks.

view-in-briar-patch-splash-mountain-magic-kingdom-walt-disney-world.jpg

Let's compare it to Disneyland.

Disneyland-This-Summer-Splash-Mountain-Briar-Patch.JPG

It actually looks like a REAL briar patch! The final drop becomes that much more intense!
Except at Disneyland the log moves so fast you don't get time to look at the briar patch! WDW's Splash is one of my favorite rides in the world, whereas at DL I don't really care for it much.

Hattieboxghost110

They are both great attractions. I'm just stating counterpoints to the groupthink that SM in the swamps is a much better attraction. Nobody on here, including you, can really argue with the 10 reasons I came up with. The only credible reason someone gave was that the maintenance was better out East.

Hattieboxghost110

Another reason why Splash at Disneyland gets the win over the Swamps...

STEEPER AND MORE THRILLING DROP!

maxresdefault.jpg

The final drop at DW is less steep! Man, I cringe every time I look at that crappy briar patch :/

5369203508_7275a4cfbb_b.jpg

SuddenStorm

I've never been to WDW, but DL Splash is my all time favorite ride. It really is amazing how organic the whole thing looks, like it's just part of the environment. I also love that it uses classic animatronics from America Sings, and the entire soundtrack is top notch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom