Disneyland's Fantasyland Themeing

The Empress Lilly

@The Empress Lilly, you always reference that really great section of Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland, but that's only like 20% of it. Disneyland's is obviously superior.
Guilty as charged!

So 'ere we go with some other points!

1 The wonders of lost classic FL. Gone are 20K, the trees, the lake, the waterfalls, Toad to the right, the Skyway, and the kinetics of Dumbo in the middle of the square. The point is not to decry their loss, but to show that classic FL is gorgeous. :)
If one only knew classic FL since all of this was gone, one might mistake it for boring, thinking that lakes and trees and rocks and waterfalls were only a product of a recent 'expansion'.
Skyway%20010.jpg

2 PIc showing why realistic building colours + colourful festival tents makes for a wonderful striking combination, the contrast serving both an aesthetical and crowd guidance function. The designers of old didn't need forty foot marquees to tell the crowds where the rides were. The visitor intuitively knows the action and festivities are in the festival tents - who all stand in stark contrast to the non-cartoony, realistic colour of the brick buildings. Classic FL - the festival tents are the rides (and ticket boots), the subdued colours are not:
WDW-12-71-SmallWorld1_zpsa3a4e3f0.jpg

3 The MK's Small World has the superior façade. The imagineers could correct DL, where IASW is set way back north, a 45 minute walk away from FL where it is neither visually nor thematically integrated with FL but stands alone. More's the better, for Blair's boring brutalist 'please pretend it's not a massive showbuilding with a flat façade' is a modernist dissonant to everything else in FL. We however have an IASW within a castle courtyard, we go on a world cruise underneath a soaring mediaeval spire while people in the restaurant next door look on.

Here's how you hide a big ugly soundstage showbuilding: as an Alpine town!
Skyway%20008.jpg

ftl_small_world.jpg

4 Size does matter, no matter the howling protests of our poorly endowed Westcoast friends. I think the whole of Sleeping Beauty castle fits within one of our Nautili. DL's cheap knock-off of Mad Queen Ludwig of Bavaria's Neuschweinstein has got nothing on our towering Cinderella castle.

comparisons.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

Ridiculous! The "it's a small world" palace at Disneyland is perhaps the single most beautiful thing in the entire park, with the exception of The Haunted Mansion when it isn't vandalized for the holidays.

Look, I love old-school Magic Kingdom and that version of Fantasyland as well, but even that era has nothing on present-day Disneyland Fantasyland. In the good old days before forums like this existed and all was mostly right with the world, you could say that the ultimate version of Fantasyland would be a combination of Disneyland's overall aesthetics and unique/superior attractions like the Matterhorn, "small world", Mad Tea Party, Story Book Land, etc., Magic Kingdom's Skyway/Peter Pan/"small world"/Village Haus corridor (the Fantasy Faire that horribly replaced the Carnation Plaza Gardens seems to be inspired by that area, no?) and Magic Kingdom's versions of Toad, Snow White and, of course, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. But those days are gone, unfortunately.

I'd just like to add that both versions of Fantasyland are worse off without the Skyway. What a loss.

Californian Elitist

Ridiculous! The "it's a small world" palace at Disneyland is perhaps the single most beautiful thing in the entire park, with the exception of The Haunted Mansion when it isn't vandalized for the holidays.

Look, I love old-school Magic Kingdom and that version of Fantasyland as well, but even that era has nothing on present-day Disneyland Fantasyland. In the good old days before forums like this existed and all was mostly right with the world, you could say that the ultimate version of Fantasyland would be a combination of Disneyland's overall aesthetics and unique/superior attractions like the Matterhorn, "small world", Mad Tea Party, Story Book Land, etc., Magic Kingdom's Skyway/Peter Pan/"small world"/Village Haus corridor (the Fantasy Faire that horribly replaced the Carnation Plaza Gardens seems to be inspired by that area, no?) and Magic Kingdom's versions of Toad, Snow White and, of course, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. But those days are gone, unfortunately.

I'd just like to add that both versions of Fantasyland are worse off without the Skyway. What a loss.

There's really no point in arguing. Some people are dead set in their opinions, including yourself, and nothing will change.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
To each their own indeed, but I believe there has to be a reason why the three magic kingdoms that followed Florida built the Mary Blair facade for its a small world. It's iconic Disney.

And the DL castle size? It is what it is, it's also Walt's one and only castle and he loved it. Cinderella Castle, especially in Tokyo, is spectacular. And the one in Paris my favorite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom