Disneyland's 60th Birthday: Rumors, Speculation and News

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I like the fact that Paint the Night uses the MSEP music in the show it's a great nod to the past. Disneyland has been without MSEP for a long time now so hopefully this will be well received. I know guests were not happy when MSEP was replaced with Light Magic but I think with the long gap of no night time parade this will be given a better chance plus it looks a million time better based on the Hong Kong version.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
@GiveMeTheMusic already summed it all up, and I hate to pile on, but I just have to get this off my chest.

The MSEP is dead, and that's okay. The MSEP was born when Richard Nixon was President, and it lasted way too long when it finally closed in November, 1996. It only got drug up from the dead in July of '01 because TDA was panicking after DCA opened in February of '01 and the park fell flat on its face.

It's almost 2015. It's time to do something different than early 1970's technology of Christmas lights strung over chicken wire, and something where the most recent movie represented in a parade is Pete's Dragon from 1978. Pete's Dragon?!?

Paint The Night, or whatever the Anaheim version is called, can roll right over the grave of MSEP and create a new legacy for the late 2010's and 2020's.

I so agree. Why bring back a forty-two year-old parade when there's an opportunity for a new one? If MSEP was temporarily brought back, I'd be down for that, but to bring it back and keep it for years and years? No.

TP2000

I know guests were not happy when MSEP was replaced with Light Magic but I think with the long gap of no night time parade this will be given a better chance plus it looks a million time better based on the Hong Kong version.

I was a new AP when Light Magic premiered six months after MSEP glowed away, and I was one of those who weren't happy. I saw Light Magic about a half dozen times during the summer of '97. People weren't happy with it because it wasn't a parade, it was oddly redundant, it didn't make much sense, the pixies were kind of creepy, the Disney Characters were wearing pajamas/underwear (Tigger is a boxers man, in case you were wondering), and the whole thing was just bad.

Paint The Night looks a million times better than Light Magic. And if they plus it up a bit over the new Hong Kong version, it will be spectacularly received by paying guests.

GiveMeTheMusic

I so agree. Why bring back a forty-two year-old parade when there's an opportunity for a new one? If MSEP was temporarily brought back, I'd be down for that, but to bring it back and keep it for years and years? No.

The problem is there's no such thing as temporary with Disney when it involves an easy way to get out of spending money. It was sent to WDW on a "temporary" basis - four and a half years ago.

That and parades are not meant to run for 40+ years. Floats age. Design becomes archaic. A Christmas Fantasy is starting to look ragged - and it should at 20 years old, even with some of the floats being 10 years old or so. It's not up to the current high standards of parade design that get edged higher all the time by Steve Davison and his team.

MSEP lives best in memory, during a time when it was impressive and magical. Now it's just sad and a living reminder of how complacent some Disney leadership has become. WDW has no business running it at this point - that the most attended theme park in the world feels they can't budget for a new light parade is beyond sickening.

Guests should be given Disney's best effort, no exceptions. MSEP isn't Disney's best effort anymore. Time to move on, and I'm so so so so glad DLR is doing just that.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The problem is there's no such thing as temporary with Disney when it involves an easy way to get out of spending money. It was sent to WDW on a "temporary" basis - four and a half years ago.

That and parades are not meant to run for 40+ years. Floats age. Design becomes archaic. A Christmas Fantasy is starting to look ragged - and it should at 20 years old, even with some of the floats being 10 years old or so. It's not up to the current high standards of parade design that get edged higher all the time by Steve Davison and his team.

MSEP lives best in memory, during a time when it was impressive and magical. Now it's just sad and a living reminder of how complacent some Disney leadership has become. WDW has no business running it at this point - that the most attended theme park in the world feels they can't budget for a new light parade is beyond sickening.

Guests should be given Disney's best effort, no exceptions. MSEP isn't Disney's best effort anymore. Time to move on, and I'm so so so so glad DLR is doing just that.

I don't like A Christmas Fantasy. I find it somewhat boring and seriously dated. It's time for it to go.

JediMasterMatt

On my November visit to Orlando, I made a new friend in operations and we were chatting about the "legacy" of Disney Parks parades. She explained to me how proud they are of Festival of Fantasy (I didn't get to see it that trip, I'll get to see it in a few weeks) and how weird it is for them to have new floats on property. This lead us both into a conversation about the various parades at both WDW and DLR and the high and low points. The lowest being the sad fate of SpectroMagic. While we were having this conversation, we talked about how floats get repurposed and their life extended over and over again. The funny thing was we had this conversation just before the Once Upon a Christmas Time Parade kicked off. Even though I have seen the parade many, many times... I somehow forgot (or intentionally suppressed in my memory perhaps) that it used the mirrored Castle float. I may have exclaimed to my new friend - "look Float Necromancy" and it's "the Floating Dead". She would've likely gotten fired by her responses to this. Glad she was off duty.

The bottom line is that even on the better coast, parades and floats far outlive their projected lifespans. What boggles my mind is the concept of a "float" parade stems from the tradition of New Year's day parades like the Tournament of Roses and the original concept was to not recycle floats from year to year or at least freshen them up (literally in terms of Pasadena's). Somewhere along the way, the Parks versions got bogged down into long term to permanent pieces of infrastructure. While the elaborate floats and choreography that are park of a Disney Parks parade is too expensive to change and replace each year, I would love to see each parade to be given a set lifespan at inception and then announce and advertise what that is. It would allow people to make plans on getting to see the entertainment before it is swapped out.

I would pay good money to see the mirrored Castle float's final trip down Main Street. I will welcome it with open arms and matchbook. Spectro got to rot away while this thing won't die.

Twilight_Roxas

I know Light Magic was a failure but this got me wondering if they brought it back should it be theme to the Disney Fairies with only Tinkerbell, Rosetta, Iridessa, Silvermist, Fawn, Vidia, Periwinkle, and Zarina? I repeat if they brought it back.

cjk0318

I like the fact that Paint the Night uses the MSEP music in the show it's a great nod to the past. Disneyland has been without MSEP for a long time now so hopefully this will be well received. I know guests were not happy when MSEP was replaced with Light Magic but I think with the long gap of no night time parade this will be given a better chance plus it looks a million time better based on the Hong Kong version.
COUGHHHHH

Nland316

Would love if our PTN uses the more instrumental soundtrack found in the parade costume previews instead of the final lyrical score. It just sounds more classic for Disneyland imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom