Disneyland's 60th Birthday: Rumors, Speculation and News

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I understand that the parade hasn't been "officially" announced for DL but everyone has been talking about it coming to the states for quite some time now, which is why I stated it wasn't really new news...

Lots of people talked about Stark's Expo in DL's Tomorrowland for years. They had concept art for Discovery Bay and Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition had concept art and neither came to fruition. Until Disney makes official announcements and start shoveling/building/etc., everything should be taken with a grain of salt.:happy:

GiveMeTheMusic

The parade and fireworks are a done deal, Disney is just dragging their feet on the official announcement. Once upon a time, a few years back, DL and HKDL were to get completely different light parades. DL got cold feet, HKDL didn't. By the time DL decided they wanted it done for the 60th, it was far quicker and easier to clone most of Paint the Night and just add on to it, so that's what's happened.

The only floats that are on property at DLR that I know of right now are the ones being recycled from Jubilation, as they're being rebuilt here (I saw the Peter Pan float from Jubilation outside the parades warehouse not too long ago, and it was already half taken apart). Some small pieces have arrived as well. From what I understand the same float vendor that built the designs for Paint the Night are just duplicating their work for DLR, but it would be unusual for a finished float to arrive on property this far in advance of a show's premiere. I wouldn't expect completed floats to be spotted backstage until February at the earliest.

jrh1985

The parade and fireworks are a done deal, Disney is just dragging their feet on the official announcement. Once upon a time, a few years back, DL and HKDL were to get completely different light parades. DL got cold feet, HKDL didn't. By the time DL decided they wanted it done for the 60th, it was far quicker and easier to clone most of Paint the Night and just add on to it, so that's what's happened.

The only floats that are on property at DLR that I know of right now are the ones being recycled from Jubilation, as they're being rebuilt here (I saw the Peter Pan float from Jubilation outside the parades warehouse not too long ago, and it was already half taken apart). Some small pieces have arrived as well. From what I understand the same float vendor that built the designs for Paint the Night are just duplicating their work for DLR, but it would be unusual for a finished float to arrive on property this far in advance of a show's premiere. I wouldn't expect completed floats to be spotted backstage until February at the earliest.
"The parade and fireworks are a done deal, Disney is just dragging their feet on the official announcement." That's an understatement! Seeing that the rumors are all over here and on MC.

Once upon a time, a few years back, DL and HKDL were to get completely different light parades. DL got cold feet, HKDL didn't.
Why doesn't it surprise me that DL got cold feet!

So, the parade vendor is in Hong Kong? That would explain the tweet from yesterday.

GiveMeTheMusic

Once upon a time, a few years back, DL and HKDL were to get completely different light parades. DL got cold feet, HKDL didn't. Why doesn't it surprise me that DL got cold feet!

You also have to take into account that from what I've heard, WDI's original light parade proposal for DL was on a much bigger scale than Paint the Night, which is in reality a very short parade. DLR waffled on spending that kind of money, putting it off long enough to eventually decide it would be easiest to just build off of PTN and expand it to match the length and content DLR guests would expect. While I'm curious as to what the original DL parade concept was, I think extending PTN and using it as a template is still a great idea - there's next to no guest overlap between DLR and HKDL, and PTN is pretty darn amazing.

Travel Junkie

The refurbishment schedule has been updated. It gives credence to previous rumours about Luigi's being replaced and other rides getting upgrades for the 60th. From Mouseplanet:

• Matterhorn Bobsleds – closed January 5 through May 13 for refurbishment.
  • Haunted Mansion – closed January 12–22 to remove the holiday overlay.
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh – closed January 12 through February 5 for refurbishment.
  • Splash Mountain – closed January 12 through April 2 for refurbishment.
  • Snow White's Grotto (wishing well) – closed January 12 through April 30 for refurbishment.
  • Peter Pan's Flight – closed January 12 through May 7 for refurbishment.
  • Tower of Terror – closed January 5–8 for refurbishment.
  • Soarin' Over California – closed January 6 through May 14 for refurbishment.
  • World of Color – dark January 7 through March 12 for refurbishment.
  • Luigi's Flying Tires – closes January 12. Scheduled to reopen December 1, 2015.

jrh1985

The refurbishment schedule has been updated. It gives credence to previous rumours about Luigi's being replaced and other rides getting upgrades for the 60th. From Mouseplanet:

• The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh – closed January 12 through February 5 for refurbishment.
  • Snow White's Grotto (wishing well) – closed January 12 through April 30 for refurbishment.
  • Luigi's Flying Tires – closes January 12. Scheduled to reopen December 1, 2015.
WOC's downtime is shorter than I thought.

Mike S

Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, Peter Pan (I could live without it), Soarin' (don't care much for that or Luigi's), and now World of freakin' Color. This just gets better and better :facepalm:
Pan's closure is good news. Would be nice if Toad, Snow and Pinocchio all went down at the same time.
No it wouldn't be nice, then I would be missing Toad and Pinocchio too. Do you want my trip ruined? :mad:

Just kidding :p

JediMasterMatt

It's amazing that DLR can pull so much out of daily service and still have plenty in reserve for guests to enjoy.

Missing is "it's a small world" and it's annual refurb to undo the holiday overlay, so I hope that more is still potentially going to be added like Toad, Pinocchio, and Snow White.

Next summer in Anaheim is going to be very special.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, Peter Pan (I could live without it), Soarin' (don't care much for that or Luigi's), and now World of freakin' Color. This just gets better and better :facepalm:

No it wouldn't be nice, then I would be missing Toad and Pinocchio too. Do you want my trip ruined? :mad:

Haha maybe you should consider going at another time, since so many things are going to be closed.

JediMasterMatt

Sorry Mike. You posted just before mine... but, my point is that DLR has so many rides/attractions that they can pull as much as is needed out of service to keep the show quality high.

As much as fans want a 5th gate in Orlando, the 4 parks simply divided up per park expansion over the years so each park needs to have their lineup firing on all cylinders.

Sorry again about your trip and the bad timing of running into a heavier than usual refurb season with the 60th coming up.

Travel Junkie

It's amazing that DLR can pull so much out of daily service and still have plenty in reserve for guests to enjoy.

Missing is "it's a small world" and it's annual refurb to undo the holiday overlay, so I hope that more is still potentially going to be added like Toad, Pinocchio, and Snow White.

Next summer in Anaheim is going to be very special.

My understanding is that this list only includes attractions going down by mid January. IASW goes down late January traditionally. I also expect them squeezing in the other FL dark rides at some point along with 1-2 day closures for other rides before mid May as they spruce everything up.

Can you imagine if WDW tried to refurb this many rides in that period of time? Anarchy

Last edited:

Mike S

I know you can't re-schedule around the time you're going. I was suggesting you go in a completely different year.
Oh we'll definitely be going again. We've already talked about a possible trip in 2017 or maybe even 2016. This one coming up is still happening though. I'm just excited for my first trip to Disneyland (que announcement that Indiana Jones will be closed during my trip).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom