Disneyland's 60th Birthday: Rumors, Speculation and News

Cosmic Commando

Disney wanted someting cheap. Building copies of existing areas (MSUSA, castle, Space Mountain, WDW's Pooh ride and so on) is how they did it.
You're probably right about MSUSA, but I do remember hearing that they wanted a copy of the Anaheim castle... I don't even think it's mirrored like Tokyo/WDW. I know the Pooh ride was copied so much, it even has Toad handing the deed over to Owl, even though it was a "greenfield" development in Hong Kong! Did HK steal Space Mountain, or did Disneyland steal it from the new park, a la Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Shanghai? The closure for DL was definitely not planned, and the ride had probably already been in development for HK at that point.

Cosmic Commando

True - opening day HKDL was a pretty sorry hodge podge of clones, with no original attractions. It's amazing what a handful of great, original rides can do for a park. But then again - we knew that on day one.
I don't think it was the clones thing... there just wasn't much there on opening day. It's what they've done since EuroDisney, except when OLC had the reins for TDS. Only the crossover audience would care whether the rides already existed in other parks, and that audience is pretty small for Hong Kong and the US parks.

Cosmic Commando

The closure was sooner than planned, but not totally unexpected. The track was already slated for replacement when the track failed.
I don't know if this was ever confirmed anywhere officially (that's how so many of these things go), but I thought the plan was to keep the same ride with track replacement, not do a total switch-out. Simple track replacement would fit better with the Pressler-era thinking. I thought they decided to get the new Space Mountain only after the old one failed... hence the long closure.

lazyboy97o

I don't know if this was ever confirmed anywhere officially (that's how so many of these things go), but I thought the plan was to keep the same ride with track replacement, not do a total switch-out. Simple track replacement would fit better with the Pressler-era thinking. I thought they decided to get the new Space Mountain only after the old one failed... hence the long closure.
The long closure was planned. Disney just thought the track would last another month or two than it did.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
MiceAge is reporting the apparent new night parade we were supposed to get is back on. I have heard from others that a night parade is in the works for the 60th, but I'm still taking this with a grain of salt. MiceAcge is still reporting the Fantasyland dark rides are getting makeovers. My trust in MiceAge has greatly dwindled, so I will be taking this lightly as well.

http://micechat.com/67708-disneyland-60th-parade-back-on-track/

TP2000

Great news from Miceage, a new night parade would be great for the 60th! What an embarrassment of riches for Disneyland!

A new night parade would bring the total roster of nightly entertainment at DLR up to unprecedented levels. By this time next year, packed into two parks sitting side-by-side there would be;

3 Parades Per Day (Soundsational, Pixar Play Parade, DL Night Parade)
2 Water Spectaculars (Fantasmic!, World of Color)
1 Fireworks Spectacular (DL 60th Fireworks Show)
Plus Mad T Party Nighttime Party/Entertainment Zone

For West Coasters who have never been to WDW, this is an embarrassment of riches for two tiny, little locals-only parks. At "giant" WDW, across all four theme parks, after several parades were cancelled recently with no immediate replacement, they now feature the following for the next few years;

2 Parades Per Day (Festival of Fantasy, MSEP)
2 Water Spectaculars (Fantasmic!, Illuminations)
1 Fireworks Spectacular (MK Wishes)

Technically, WDW is missing at least two or three parades, plus an extra water or fireworks spectacular or two. WDW has the size, they have the facilities, they have the crowds, they have the free cash flow, they just don't have the will or the desire. :confused:

Onward to Disneyland's 60th Anniversary!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

Indeed! Looking forward to next year.

I can't believe it has almost been ten years since the 50th Anniversary. I still remember that like it was yesterday. And now it has nearly been ten years since then. Geez, where is time going?!

deix15x8

Sounds like next year is going to be exciting. Hoping to spend 10 nights in late September/early October. Never been to Disneyland before, only Disney World so it'll be nice to see the blend of newly refurbished classics and new entertainment.

Cesar R M

Great news from Miceage, a new night parade would be great for the 60th! What an embarrassment of riches for Disneyland!

A new night parade would bring the total roster of nightly entertainment at DLR up to unprecedented levels. By this time next year, packed into two parks sitting side-by-side there would be;

3 Parades Per Day (Soundsational, Pixar Play Parade, DL Night Parade)
2 Water Spectaculars (Fantasmic!, World of Color)
1 Fireworks Spectacular (DL 60th Fireworks Show)
Plus Mad T Party Nighttime Party/Entertainment Zone

For West Coasters who have never been to WDW, this is an embarrassment of riches for two tiny, little locals-only parks. At "giant" WDW, across all four theme parks, after several parades were cancelled recently with no immediate replacement, they now feature the following for the next few years;

2 Parades Per Day (Festival of Fantasy, MSEP)
2 Water Spectaculars (Fantasmic!, Illuminations)
1 Fireworks Spectacular (MK Wishes)

Technically, WDW is missing at least two or three parades, plus an extra water or fireworks spectacular or two. WDW has the size, they have the facilities, they have the crowds, they have the free cash flow, they just don't have the will or the desire. :confused:

doesnt illuminations count as "firework spectaculars"?

TP2000

doesnt illuminations count as "firework spectaculars"?

I counted it as a Water Spectacular, because it takes place on the water. Although it includes pyrotechnics and fire, like Fantasmic! or World of Color, it is considered a "nighttime water show".

If WDW still did Sorcery In The Sky at DHS nightly, like they used to in the 1990's, that could be an additional fireworks spectacular for WDW.

In my opinion, since all four WDW parks are mature and between 16 and 43 years of age and all have annual attendance north of 10 Million customers, you would think daily WDW entertainment would at least include the following;

Magic Kingdom
Day Parade
Night Parade
Fireworks

Epcot
Day Water Show
Night Water Show

DHS
Day Parade
Fantasmic!
Fireworks
Nightly Party Zone (Mad T Party, etc.)

DAK
Day Parade
Night Water Show

TP2000

Tokyo is another Disney property that crams a lot of entertainment into two parks. Consider that tomorrow at Tokyo Disney Resort they'll have the following;

Tokyo Disneyland
Happiness Is Here Day Parade
Dreamlights Night Parade
Happiness On High Fireworks

Tokyo DisneySea
Legend of Mythica Day Water Show
Fantasmic! Night Water Show
Happiness On High Fireworks

So, two parades, two water spectaculars, and one fireworks show in each park. Happiness On High is shot off between both parks, but has different views/music/effects in each park so that it's a different show visible and enjoyed in each park at the same time. Clever!

But technically, that's the exact same amount of major parades/spectaculars entertainment daily in Tokyo's two parks that WDW presents in all four of its parks combined. Something's not adding up there in Orlando. :confused:

Hobnail Boot

I'd love to get out there for the 60th. Last time I visited was 2009 I think. It was Magical!'s first summer because I remember being ticked when Dumbo didn't fly due to high upper winds. I also remember holding up the line at the World of Disney store because all the cast members wanted to hear my accent. If only round trip tickets didn't cost so much.

Little Green Men

DAK is getting a new water show soon though. And I believe Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade is still running as well. Plus the new Harambe Nights. So we currently have 3 parades, soon only 2 but we'll have 3 water shows and an extra night event (though it's only for the summer so far).

Last edited:

Cesar R M

DAK is getting a new water show soon though. And I believe Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade is still running as well. Plus the new Harambe Nights. So we currently have 3 parades, soon only 2 but we'll have 3 water shows and an extra night event (though it's only for the summer so far).
didn't they confirmed Jammin'jungle is definitively getting axed in june?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom