• Yes

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dwldzm9

Area market saturated

Although I'm sure that Disney could do a better job than anyone, the SoCal area is already super-saturated (no pun intended) with water parks. For me, being from Ohio, there is no way I would spend a day in California at a water park... too much other stuff to see and do.

Castle Cake Apologist

Please read the board description before you post in it. This would have been much more appropriate in Disneyland General Discussion, Not Walt Disney World News and Rumors and I have a strong feeling it will be moved. Thanks ;)

-Jake

nikimsu2002

Re: Area market saturated

Originally posted by dwldzm9
Although I'm sure that Disney could do a better job than anyone, the SoCal area is already super-saturated (no pun intended) with water parks. For me, being from Ohio, there is no way I would spend a day in California at a water park... too much other stuff to see and do.

I agree. There is so much to do in the area-Hollywood, Universal Studios, beaches, San Diego Zoo, LA, etc. A water park so close to an actual beach wouldn't be very practical. I would rather go to a beach than a water park.

kaos

Originally posted by Michael72688
Disney has 2 water parks in Orlando, and we are only about 1/2 hour from the beach

Disney's Vero Beach resort is 2 hours away on the occean, and the largest difference between WDW and DL is that WDW has these on property, along with shopping districts and hotels, whereas the DL resort is just kinda limping along with 2 purchased resorts (Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier) that were not designed by Disney, and a TON of water parks almost within walking distance of DL. The water parks at WDW are classics and originals and give guests staying at WDW Resort something else to do. A DL water park wouldn't be attended as highly since there are so many other attactions in California that are within visual distance of the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland Resort.

ToWeroFTerRor67

The reason hotels and waterparks at wdw are always crowded is because there is a lot more to do there. A family can spend a few weeks there by going to all the parks and taking a few relaxation days. Water parks are a good way to rest after a few days of park hopping. When in California, DL can be done in a day and then people don't even go to DCA. I suggest that DL focuses on building more parks or reasons to stay longer. Luckily Walt bought all the land in FL. My family did both DCA and DL because we stayed across the street, but when we went to Universal and everything else we moved away from Anaheim. Although Disney waterparks are top notch, I don't think it would be as popular.

DLMAGICDARREN

A water park would be a great addition for DLR. Simpky because DLR is not as large as WDW is no reason for them to not continue to grow. If a water park were added on property, even though some would not go, it would still be a great benefit for the resort. If Knott's can do it, Disney could do it better.

Just because the resort is not far from the beach, does not mean that people would not enjoy a water park. Many people who vacation in California do not make it to the beach.

If water parks do not make it in Soutern California, why is Raging Waters so sucessful? Why did Magic Mountain add on Hurricane Harbor? Why did Knott's add on Soak City?

Many locals visit the resort, a lot more then tourists do, so they have seen the beaches. The beaches are a completely different experiance then a water park. I think the fact that it's so compact in the DLR resort versus WDW, that it's a plus. You can play in the water park in the afternoon, and then park hop to either Disneyland or DCA, and you don't need a bus to get to your hotel, or to the theme parks.

CalDisney

Im Sorry darren..
I would have to dissagree
there are already too many water parks here in Southern Calif.
I have heard that Soak City Sucks and not much Business
is going on there.
Yes I know Raging waters and Hurricane harbor are doing Great.
But!!
There are waterparks everywhereI have seen them at alot of Miniture Golf places..
near Anaheim,Buena Park areas
and then there Pharohes Kingdom out here in the Inland Empire
Near San Bernardino.
I would much rather see.. More Rollercoaster rides..

DLMAGICDARREN

LOL Cal, it's fine if we disagree!

Soak City is not doing well, I've heard that too, but then again Knott's itself does not do near the business of Disneyland. A water park attached to a theme park is only going to be as strong as the theme park itself.

Raging Waters and Hurricane Harbor are each pretty far from Disneyland, not to say somebody in Southern Caifornia can't easily get to them each, but the point would be to expand the Disneyland resort, and give people who like water parks another reason to stay on property.

I'm not saying Southern California doesn't already have water parks, that's not the reason to build one, the reason is that Disneyland does not have one. Many annual passholders wpuld add on to a DLR water park, but not to many of them have annual passes for the other water parks. Sure some do but not a very large majority. Why? Because the best water park of them all is in San Dimas. Sure just as many can drive to there as Disneyland easily, but nobody is going to make a routine trip unless they are extremely close to a water park. Many go to Disneylabnd resort once a week or so, not to many go to Raging Waters that often.

Although there are many small water parks, there's only those mentioned water parks are of any real significance. Heck if Disneyland used those reasons alone, they would have never built DCA, since Southern California is full of theme parks as well as water parks.

The entire idea of the resort expansion, was to get more business, and let non locals hopefully spend a night or two at the hotel. You have to cater to many different tastes to accomplish that.

For those that prefer the beach over a water park, be my guest! Disney really does not mind whatsoever if you leave the resort for a day, the own Birnbaum guide to Disneyland recomends places such as the beach, San Diego, and Universal Studios. Why? Becuase they know even a two park resort is not quite enough to keep most 1 week visitors busy. But you can bet the WDW guide by the same publisher, makes no reference whatsoever to any other Orlando activities outside of WDW. Why? Becuase they catered to the different tastes, by adding water parks, as well as golf courses, activities at resorts, etc. Of course Disneyland resort will never be the size or variation of WDW, but with a water park, and an eventual third park (hopefully), they are getting there. Nobody ever dreamed 20 years ago, a parking lot could become a second park.

Orlando is full of non Disney water parks as well. We have Wet and Wild, the most sucessful park (similar in theory to Raging Waters), only here it's in the same city, Orlando. Yet still many people prefer an on site water park. The water parks still fill up at WDW quickly, even though there are other water parks in the city. And in Orlando the competition even though it' all in the same city works just fine.

So if one city can do it in Orlando, I don't think Anaheim has to worry about the rest of Southern California pulling away it's business too badly.

DLMAGICDARREN

Originally posted by Fantasyland1983
If they were going to build a waterpark, they would build it closer to the Disneyland Hotel. Maybe build it in the Simba or Pinocchio parking lot.

We certainly hope so, but there are a few problems. The Simba lot has to be used for Convention Center overflow parking when needed. It was part of the agreement with the city of Anaheim, so where this overflow parking would go has to be worked out before the Simba lot can ever be dedicated to a water park.

The Pinocchio lot is used for oversized vehicles that will not fit inside the Mickey and Friends parking structure, so that too would have to be worked out. Also the Pinocchio lot is in between the Mickey and Friends parking structure, and the Downtown Disney parking. It would be hard to host water park guests, in between two seperate parking lots.

I think they will work it out though, and do just as you say. I think the next major change you will hear from Disneyland resort is a new parking announcement, which is the firstphase that has to be tackled before any additional expansion can take place of any form.

Merlin

Account Suspended
I have a Disneyland Resort Master Plan from the early 90's which shows plans for a second mammoth parking garage. I'm not sure if that is still the objective (this master plan still shows Westcot so obviously the plans have changed since this was created). But that would allow more construction in the existing parking lot, and I have always thought (and still believe strongly) that a water park at the DLR would be an excellent idea! Assuming it was of Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach caliber, I have no doubt it would blow away any of the existing So California water parks. I think locals would drive a huge portion of it's business, but I also think it would appeal to guests staying at one of the resort hotels. Can you imagine? You go to Disneyland and stay until it gets hot, then exit the park and literally walk over to the water park to cool off for a few hours then go back into the park to enjoy Fantasmic, etc., stay until closing then walk (or take a short monorail or tram ride) back to your hotel. I think people (especially those with kids) would LOVE that!

DLMAGICDARREN

There have most defiantely been rumors to how parking will be attached and you are probably not to far off from what you have read Merlin.

Here's how I see it happening, over the next 5 years or so.

1) Convention overflow parking moves from the current Simba lot. Probably to the Strawberry fields, even though it's not exactly next to the convention center, Disney agrees to support some type of shuttle service. This frees up the Simba lot.

2) The Timon lot in the last remaining section of the old Disneyland parking lot closes for good, and allows overflow from the Pumba lot until the next DCA expansion plans.

3) Current Downtown Disney parking from Simba is moved to the remaining Downtown Disney parking lot, between Pinocchio parking, and the Disneyland Hotel, freeing up Simba now 100%!

4) A much smaller scale, but new parking structure is added to the current Pinnochio parking area, moving oversized vechicles out of Pinocchio, and moving them over to current Dowtown Disney parking, but the new structure supports the additional parking needed by Downtown Disney, including the cars moved over from Simba to allow room for the new over sized vechile parking lot.

This addresses the at least five year plan, and frees up Simba for the water park, while the 10-15 year plan still keeps the Strawberry fields busy for parking, but eventially eligible for the third park.

Now it's just my guess!

Fantasyland1983

DLMAGICDARREN, that really sounds like a good idea. It will be interesting to see how they fix the parking situation.

I heard, once they build the Anaheim Garden Walk, Disney will build a parking structure in the seldom used Pumbaa parking lot (At the corner of Disney Way and Clementine).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom