Disneyland vs. Disney World- name things you like better about each park`

CamiCan

Original Poster
This thread is mainly for those who have been to both DLR and WDW. I grew up in California and went to DLR pretty regularly as a kid and currently hold the annual passport and still go about once a month. My bf and I took our first trip to WDW recently and stayed at POP for 2 weeks. We spent a total of 9 days exploring ALL the WDW parks.

Here are the things I like better about WDW:

EPCOT: my science geek bf actually enjoyed the attractions there much better than any other park. He has a hard time getting into the fantasy genre of DLR. Also Epcot has way better restaurants for foodies in terms of both quality and diversity of ethnic food. The showcases were interesting as well. Bigger; more stuff to do on site. Better if you're planning a long vacation where you stay in property for a week or longer.

Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain are both better at WDW.

More variety of shows given that there are more parks.

Animal Kingdom is worth it just for the Safari ride and we did it multiple times and got different animal sightings each time (although if you're an animal/nature buff, you can still make a side trip to San Diego Zoo from Disneyland which IMO is way better than Animal Kingdom but you DO have to drive about 2 hours).

Park Hopping can be hectic but still provides a lot more choice and variety within the same day. For example, after we had seen all 7 parks, we'd mix and match like spending the morning at Animal Kingdom, head to Magic Kingdom for the afternoon, and Epcot for nice dinner.

Only park I really didn't like was Disney Quest; even my gaming geek bf wanted to leave after an hour so we ended up walking through Downtown Disney instead.

More variety of on site resorts including bargain prices. Although you are pretty much locked on Disney Property unless you rent a car and dedicate an entire day to going on another outing).

Here are the things I like better about DLR:

Much easier to navigate; can hop easily between the two parks without having to wait for a bus for 20 minutes or walk to a parking lot and drive. Can walk back and fourth multiple times and easy to leave the park for meals and come back to the resort there are several restaurants within a short drive (or even walk) off of Disney property. You are not locked on property at all. For those who don't want to drive, there are still options to take an airport shuttle to a hotel within WALKING distance of DLR and get from your hotel to DLR and back in less time than it takes to catch a shuttle bus between WDW parks.

Fantasyland is way better in terms of layout and I strongly prefer the originals (Small World, Peter Pan, Winnie The Pooh, to the replicates at WDW.

While WDW has way more rides and attractions that DLR doesn't have, here are a few rides that are unique and special to DLR.
California Screaming
Cars Land (Radiator Springs is better than its twin Test Track)
Aladdin- A Musical Spectacular- I liked it better than Beauty and the Beast at Hollywood Studios as there is some hidden humor in the Aladdin show geared towards adults.
Storybook Land Canal Boat Rides

DLR is MUCH less crowded on weekdays during the off season. WDW was still quite crowded at certain parks even on weekdays in mid-September. Lot of foreign visitors, homeschoolers, and childless travelers, and people pulling their kids out of school for vacation. DLR is mostly locals with some from other parts of the West Coast making long weekend trips.

The weather is WAY better in Southern California in the summer and fall. Hardly ever rains at all and not as humid. Even in winter, it's predictable in the sense you know what days it's going to be sunny and when it's going to rain. At WDW, weather is a wild card each day. We got into the line at Space Mountain and it was perfectly sunny and actually very hot and we came out 40 minutes later to a torrential downpour. We still got wet through our ponchos and even though was warm out, we got cold when going into the AC buildings all wet so we had to take a bus back to the hotel to change. Crazy stuff. Although I hear that the weather in winter is better in Florida.

To sum it up, I really like both and will continue to be a regular at DLR and will probably take another trip to WDW in a few years. Both have their pros and cons but I'd say DLR is better for a shorter trip (4 days or less and if you stay longer, there's plenty to do in Southern California OFF of Disney property). WDW better for longer trips of a week or more and you can be perfectly entertained without even leaving Disney Property.

Please post you what like personally better about each park.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain75

Disneyland: Pirates of the Caribbean, "it's a small world", Big Thunder Mountain, Soarin', Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, Little Mermaid (recent upgrades) and Park Hopping.

Disney World: Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Toy Story Mania (queue), Winnie the Pooh, Star Tours, MuppetVision, Tough to Be a Bug, resorts and the size of the property.
Overall I love both, though! I appreciate that both places are different enough to make your experiences there unique!

George Lucas on a Bench

Disneyland is superior to all Walt Disney World parks.

The park is perfectly designed, there aren't huge open areas of concrete, the foliage, Main Street, Fantasyland, Pirates, small world, Autopia, Railroad, Monorail, Thunder Mountain, Rivers of America, Tiki Room and Buzz Lightyear are all arguably superior to their WDW counterparts. Splash, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are debatable, but I still generally lean more towards Disneyland's. Disneyland actually has dark rides, the Matterhorn, New Orleans Square, the Grand Canyon and Primeval World, Submarines, Indiana Jones, Star Tours (it's WAY cooler having it in the Magic Kingdom), Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and far superior entertainment like Fantasmic! and Remember...Dreams Come True fireworks. I feel the place just comes alive more than Magic Kingdom of today. Once I turned to the Disneyland side of the force, there was no going back. It's the greatest place on Earth.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Disneyland is ginormous compared to Magic Kingdom and has a ton more stuff to do, and not to mention much better ride quality. As well as being walking distance from the other ginormous theme park AND downtown disney AND the hotels.

Disney World I'd like better for the fact of Epcot. There's nothing else like it. Whether it's in a bad state or not, I still love it.

Disnee4Me

Haven't been too DL since '77, but I really liked the Blue Bayou Restaurant by Pirates of the Caribbean. (Hope it's still there). The food was very good and the atmosphere was very nice too. I really can't remember the rides too well, but liked the entrance into IASW. What I like best about WDW is it's size. There is just a lot more variety, so much to see including the two water parks, which DL does not have. Of course, I've never been to California Adventure, but I'm sure its cool and would like to get out west one of these days to experience it all again.

HatboxGhost

My wife and I are planning, at some point in the near future, on going to DL and we have a few questions if you DL diehards don't mind answering. Thanks in advance.................
We usually go to WDW in Sept so we want to plan a trip to DL around 4-6 months after that. So......
Between Jan and March, when is the least crowded time to go without springbreakers and tour groups, etc?
Is there a meal plan like in WDW?
Is the Blue Bayou Restaurant worth it? Sounds like a good place.
What other restaurants are there and are most of them good?

One thing of note that I saw when I did some research is that.....as most people already know....I cannot believe the difference in price between the on property hotels vs the ones across the street. I REALLY wanted to stay at a DL hotel but when I saw the prices, my mouth dropped. I then saw the price for....I believe...a Best Western right across the street and breathed a sigh of relief and was thrilled at the price to stay there. Wow.

Little Green Men

Fantasyland is way better in terms of layout and I strongly prefer the originals (Small World, Peter Pan, Winnie The Pooh, to the replicates at WDW.

Winnie the Pooh at WDW the original, it opened in 1999 replacing Mr. Toad's Wild Ride while it replaced Country Bear Jamboree in the mid 2000s. It also has bigger honey pots and the bounce with tigger scene which is one of the best parts of the ride IMO.

Little Green Men

Disneyland is superior to all Walt Disney World parks.

Totally disagree, DL is far from perfect. The rides at WDW have pros to their DL counterparts. Iasw is shorter at WDW with a less impressive facade, but it also has scenes on both sides the whole ride and flooded rooms. The monorail is longer and services to 6 different places instead of 2 at WDW, plus WDW monorails have air condition, soft comfortable seats, and bigger cabins. Hall of Presidents is more impressive than Mr. Lincoln. We have the people mover, Carousel of Progress, and a higher Astro Orbitor as well. I feel the space at WDW gives it a grander feel. The lands actually have boundaries instead of simply starting off Main st. Like TL has a long bridge and the tomorrowland sign while DL has AO sticking out of MS. Plus other parks offer things nothing comparable in DL, the animal exhibits and safari at DAK, World Showcase, and SSE at Epcot, two water parks, lots of resorts with unique themes, etc.

StarWarsGirl

A little background: I am a WDW goer. I have been going twice a year since I was a baby (sometimes three times a year) and spend about a month out of the year in WDW. I have been to DL twice, once in 2009 and once in 2013, each for 6 days, staying on property at Grand Californian
Things I like better at WDW:
  • Winnie the Pooh (sorry, this is tenfold better than the DL version)
  • Splash Mountain (DL version was pathetic)
  • Haunted Mansion (DL version is missing parts)
  • TofT
  • Castle. Sleeping Beauty Castle is charming. Cinderella Castle is spectacular
  • Tomorrowland design (no odd, unused Peoplemover tracks)
  • Paths are wider, so it doesn't feel as crowded
  • Wishes (over Magical)
  • Queues overall, especially TSM and Little Mermaid
  • TS restaurants
  • Waterparks
  • Monorail actually has a purpose other than just being an attraction
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Star Tours has a larger capacity at WDW
  • Seating for Fantasmic
  • Goofy's Barnstormer over Gadget's GoCoaster
  • Tea Cups (is it my imagination or are the ones at WDW bigger?)
  • Astro Orbiter belongs on top, not in the middle of the pathway
  • I like being "stuck" on Disney property and only being able to see off property from certain points. I felt like DL was crowded in to a degree
  • Size of Dumbo (plus FP availability and indoor queue for FL weather)
  • Restrooms are bigger
  • American Adventure over Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (since the two share a segment)
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends over Submarine Voyage (while a longer ride, took too long to load)
  • Contemporary over DL Hotel

Things I like better at DL
  • Overall, I just think there is more to each of these parks. DL park is a better park than MK
  • PofC
  • Newer Monorails
  • Radiator Springs Racers over TT
  • Indiana Jones over Dinosaur
  • Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular over ANY WDW SHOW
  • Toontown. Far better than WDW's Toontown ever was
  • Still have traditional FP
  • More dark rides in Fantasyland
  • Soarin' film not degrading/lens was not dirty
  • Grand Canyon on the train
  • I like the newer technology of Astro Blasters, but felt there were too few targets in each room
  • Weather
  • Autopia over Indy Speedway (by far)
  • Location of Dumbo
  • Tarzan's Treehouse over Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
  • Grizzly River Run over Kali River Rapids
  • Grand Californian over Grand Floridian. Grand Californian has the luxurious feel without being stuffy like Grand Floridian
  • Adventureland overall
Tied or not comparable
  • Space Mountain. Two completely different attractions
  • Rock 'n Roller Coaster vs. California Screamin'. I like Rock 'n Roller Coaster better even though it's shorter, but they are completely different attractions
  • Captain EO (same thing)
  • Muppet Vision 3D (same thing)
  • Little Mermaid (have not experienced since last refurb at DL, queue is better at WDW, though, better placement)
  • Matterhorn vs. Everest. Not comparable even though they are similar. At least the Yeti works on Matterhorn!
  • It's a Small World. Like them both for what they are. Love the Disney characters incorporated in the DL version, though
  • Tiki Room (Same thing basically)

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, you can keep your huge open areas of concrete. I don't see flooded rooms on small world and bigger air-conditioned Monorail cabins as an improvement. You won't get any argument from me that the Disneyland Monorail could use a couple extra stops, but it goes through Disneyland itself, which is breathtaking. Walt Disney World's mostly passes over swamp and the sad ruins of lowercase Epcot these days. I love the Hall of Presidents, but I wouldn't say it's more impressive than going into the Main Street Opera House and seeing robo-Lincoln deliver the speech. Lincoln is a more focused attraction, not just a hodgepodge of history on random presidents with occasional speeches. Disneyland has intimacy and quality. Magic Kingdom may have the Peoplemover and higher rockets, but it also has a pathetically neglected Space Mountain, completely out of place cartoon attractions and a pathetic version of the Autopia that has never fit any land's theme in Magic Kingdom's history.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Animal Kingdom is worth it just for the Safari ride and we did it multiple times and got different animal sightings each time (although if you're an animal/nature buff, you can still make a side trip to San Diego Zoo from Disneyland which IMO is way better than Animal Kingdom but you DO have to drive about 2 hours).
We did San Diego Zoo and loved it. I think Animal Kingdom has an edge just because it has actual rides. But then again, AK is a theme park and San Diego is a zoo, so apples and oranges basically. You can see that a lot of the design from AK came from San Diego Zoo.

Can walk back and fourth multiple times and easy to leave the park for meals and come back to the resort there are several restaurants within a short drive (or even walk) off of Disney property. You are not locked on property at all.
You can walk from DHS to Epcot and vice versa. It's about a mile and takes around 30 minutes, but you can.:devilish::D You can easily go to the hotels for meals if you are at MK. You just come out, get on the monorail, and go to one of the resorts. Food is much better than at MK (although Poly has been a construction zone.) For AK, we like to go over to Animal Kingdom Lodge and get dinner there. It's about a five minute bus ride. You can also go to other resorts for dinner. For DHS, if you don't want to stay for Fantasmic, it's pretty easy to get over to Epcot for dinner, or you can go to one of the Epcot resorts for dinner. For me, being locked on property is part of the experience. We rarely go off property as we fly and do not rent a car. In 2009, we did some SoCal stuff outside of Disney. In 2013, we went to Hawaii after DL, so we basically stayed at DL.

Fantasyland is way better in terms of layout and I strongly prefer the originals (Small World, Peter Pan, Winnie The Pooh, to the replicates at WDW
I have not been on the DL Peter Pan, but there's no real comparing the two Small Worlds as they are different even in layout. Winnie the Pooh was at WDW before DL. And I like the WDW version better.

At WDW, weather is a wild card each day. We got into the line at Space Mountain and it was perfectly sunny and actually very hot and we came out 40 minutes later to a torrential downpour. We still got wet through our ponchos and even though was warm out, we got cold when going into the AC buildings all wet so we had to take a bus back to the hotel to change. Crazy stuff. Although I hear that the weather in winter is better in Florida.
Well, yes, it is Florida, but pretty much if you check the radar on your phone, you can see what weather is coming your way, but you have to keep a check on it. When clouds start piling up around you, that means it is going to storm, and it does storm pretty much every afternoon. I have to ask: when you saw that it was raining that hard, why did you try to walk through it? Yes it does rain, but it doesn't rain that hard for very long. Even if you were going to be late for an ADR or a FP, all you'd have to say is, "We got stuck because of the downpour." It's a valid excuse. Besides that, if there's a lot of lightning around, you shouldn't be walking around either. Yes, it is better in the winter. You pretty much won't see rain, and it is more predicatable, but your temperatures can also be funky. I went last January. In the nine days that I was there, it went from 70s to 80s to 40s and back up to 80s. We didn't see much rain, though. My parents went two weeks later and it was in the 50s and 60s the entire time.

DLR is MUCH less crowded on weekdays during the off season. WDW was still quite crowded at certain parks even on weekdays in mid-September. Lot of foreign visitors, homeschoolers, and childless travelers, and people pulling their kids out of school for vacation. DLR is mostly locals with some from other parts of the West Coast making long weekend trips.
Not as many locals come to WDW. It's a destination. September is still a really good time to go. But you'll still encounter parents with little kids, couples, and parents who homeschool or pull their children out. So...just more people

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom