Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

SSG

Regarding the rumored ToT switch to a Marvel theme, if this is indeed the start a Marvel Land at DCA, has anyone heard more definitively where said Marvel Land would go? I’ve read conflicting rumors placing it behind ToT and taking part of Hollywoodland facing the Tower.

CJR

Regarding the rumored ToT switch to a Marvel theme, if this is indeed the start a Marvel Land at DCA, has anyone heard more definitively where said Marvel Land would go? I’ve read conflicting rumors placing it behind ToT and taking part of Hollywoodland facing the Tower.

I heard a rumor that a potential Marvel land would make over the entire Hollywood section of the park, I don't know if I believe it though, especially with the Frozen show just opening up (and taking into account how long Aladdin was there).

SSG

I heard a rumor that a potential Marvel land would make over the entire Hollywood section of the park, I don't know if I believe it though, especially with the Frozen show just opening up (and taking into account how long Aladdin was there).
Yeah, I have a hard time seeing all of Hollywoodland going. In addition to Frozen, Animation Academy and Turtle Talk are popular. Plus you’d have the Trolley running down the middle of it. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Suspirian

Mice chat recently reported that it would be taking up the Hollywood Backlot area where Mad T Party and Monsters Inc are currently. Previous rumors mention the area behind TOT. I highly doubt Marvel will be taking over all of Hollywoodland considering they just finished up the Frozen Musical

CJR

it would be taking up the Hollywood Backlot area where Mad T Party and Monsters Inc are currently.

Right, but for that to happen, it would pretty much take up the whole land, since the Frozen show is between the two (ToT and Monsters Inc).

Animation Academy and Turtle Talk are popular. Plus you’d have the Trolley running down the middle of it. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Agree 100% that it's interesting. Will say that AA & TT could very easily be worked into Buena Vista Street. The trolley is more of a challenge though, if heroes takes up everything from ToT to the current Monsters Inc ride. This is why I find that rumor hard to believe: Frozen is brand new and Aladdin was in that theater forever, so Frozen would seemingly be there forever too, to add to that, Monsters Inc is still a popular franchise, so taking that out seems silly to me. Then add in the theming issues with the trolley and such, it seems way too complicated and much easier to use the expansion plot, which would actually add to the park in a much more positive way. I know Disney's in a money saving mode, but it doesn't make sense in this case.

Nland316

I'm very excited about the tidbits that have floated out, so I'm optimistic. The show needed an update (in a good way).
that's reassuring! I'm hoping that they keep and play off of the weirdness that makes Fantasmic, well, Fantasmic! All I really care about keeping intact are the pink elephants and the Columbia pirate ship!

Suspirian

Right, but for that to happen, it would pretty much take up the whole land, since the Frozen show is between the two (ToT and Monsters Inc).

Thats one way too think about it. This is the image they posted in the article, The red dashes being the areas receiving changes.

MA-Hollywoo-Backlot.jpg

CJR

Thats one way too think about it. This is the image they posted in the article, The red dashes being the areas receiving changes.

Thanks for the visual!

That's exactly it, it just doesn't make sense to build a Marvel land in that section, but keep the rest with the Hollywood theme when a ride themed to one of Marvel's biggest properties literally steps away outside of the proposed plot.

If they want to use the plots highlighted, it makes sense that at some point the Frozen show will close and that space will be used to link the attractions together somehow. Keep in mind, this is probably years away (not talking about the ToT makeover) from happening, so Frozen could be on its way out by then anyway, unless it appeals to crowds the same way Aladdin did.

Suspirian

Thanks for the visual!

That's exactly it, it just doesn't make sense to build a Marvel land in that section, but keep the rest with the Hollywood theme when a ride themed to one of Marvel's biggest properties literally steps away outside of the proposed plot.

If they want to use the plots highlighted, it makes sense that at some point the Frozen show will close and that space will be used to link the attractions together somehow. Keep in mind, this is probably years away (not talking about the ToT makeover) from happening, so Frozen could be on its way out by then anyway, unless it appeals to crowds the same way Aladdin did.

Yea that its a bit odd. Im leaning more towards the previous rumor where the marvel area would go behind TOT as it makes a lot more sense than having the mini land and the GOTG ride seperated.

BrianLo

It makes sense if Disney isn't really building a full Marvel land and just slotting in attractions to a more all-encompassing theme ('old Hollywood')... Like they used to do.

I still imagine the Captain America coaster is going to be period appropriate. There has to be a logical explanation they are building a Captain America coaster in DCA while doing Ironman in WDS/SDL. I presume that explanation is to keep it in theme.

D

Deleted member 107043

It doesn't make sense because it's likely just another one of their wild misinformed rumors that isn't going to happen.

BrianLo

It doesn't make sense because it's likely just another one of their wild misinformed rumors that isn't going to happen.

Who, MiceAge?

I believe them far more than any other single source. They break waaaayyy too many things (even recently) with surprising detail.

That of course doesn't account for things constantly changing - I could still foresee Marvel in the expansion slot once more. It's the path of least resistance.

I don't understand why they didn't pull the trigger on the Monster coaster. It could have been opening this year or next and would have provided a nice sandwhich to DL's attendance boom.

D

Deleted member 107043

They break waaaayyy too many things (even recently) with surprising detail.

They only seem to be successful in their predictions when the reveal is imminent. The further out the project the more outrageous (and wrong) their predictions seem to be. Take the TL to SW Land redo rumor in 2014 for instance, where they insisted the temporary closure of the Subs for renovations was actually a permanent cost savings measure.

BrianLo

They only seem to be successful in their predictions when the reveal is imminent. The further out the project the more outrageous (and wrong) their predictions seem to be. Take the TL to SW Land redo rumor in 2014 for instance, where they insisted the temporary closure of the Subs for renovations was actually a permanent cost savings measure.

Except that was 100% accurate at the time. The fallacy is that imminent things are more likely to stay true to the plan at the time. Further out things have a tendency to change a ton of times as planning continues. I find it aggravating when everyone jumps on Miceage for reporting what is true at the time and then they have a hey-day against them when Disney flimsily sways in the breeze.

The subs closed for 'renovations', they sat there for months and did nothing as Disney decided whether they were going to pull the trigger on Star Wars in Tomorrowland. Iger took it to the board, they sent him scurrying away to do something more in line with what was happening with the competition. So then the subs suddenly started getting their Reno, since they'd be sticking around after all. WDI turned its eyes toward the next best place to easily clear up more land than tomorrowland could afford (Toon town) and things proceeded to morph from there into the monstrosity it is today.

The fact their plans were rejected is public knowledge direct from Bob's mouth. The fact the subs literally sat around for months as Disney made up its mind is well documented in weekly pictorial updates.

rle4lunch

View attachment 143469

Perhaps the idea is to have the Hollywood land area be more Captain America-centric themed (with subtle overlays on the buildings and such) and act as a bridge/transition section going from Monsters/Muppets/Mad T Party over to GotG/TOT??

Californian Elitist

Perhaps the idea is to have the Hollywood land area be more Captain America-centric themed (with subtle overlays on the buildings and such) and act as a bridge/transition section going from Monsters/Muppets/Mad T Party over to GotG/TOT??

This sounds like a thematic MESS.

I just remembered Captain America takes place in New York.

rle4lunch

This sounds like a thematic MESS.

I just remembered Captain America takes place in New York.

True, but Captain America is more about the time period than the geographic location. The older façade buildings are from the time period Captain America originally existed in. So are the trolley cars and the whole DCA retheme from a couple years ago. Incorporating CAP into it would be easy and would actually bring some continuity as people traverse the park from the Monsters area to TOT.

D

Deleted member 107043

Except that was 100% accurate at the time.

No it wasn't. In my opinion that whole episode is one of the best examples of MiceAge publishing a wild rumor that turned out to be false and not owning up to it.

I'm predicting that the Marvel project will not happen as described by MiceAge, and they will either a) claim that "plans changed", or b) say nothing and distract readers with some other story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom