Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

mickEblu

Day parades, regardless of their quality, serve a valuable capacity distraction purpose. They take thousands of guests out of the park's rides for an hour or so during peak times.

But why let good park operations strategy stand in the way, TDA?

It could always be worse. It could be WDW.

Right, I realize this. But boy, do they make navigating around the park annoying!

I think I'd rather have 5-10 minute longer lines then try to navigate around Main Street or Fantasyland when a parade is going on.

brb1006

Haha. If it doesn't have the baroque hoedown and start with "ladies and gentlemen boys and girls.." then it already lost.

I'll check it out though
Actually the parade did have both but they must have changed it once they updated the parade sometime last year. Mainly since I knew they used the Dreamlights music when MSEP returned to DCA in 2009.

brb1006

Well, then you are in luck, because it does use the baroque hoedown.

Make sure you check out a 2015/6 video though if you do look it up to see the renewed parade.
Dreamlights is one of the only Disney parade that I would watch over and over again to catch stuff I missed.

Phroobar

Did you hear about the new Night entertainment featuring Anna and Elsa? Frozen pole dancing.
Sorry. It is April 1st.
Sisterly love.

elsa_zpso0ugi6oe.png

Last edited:

doctornick

Yea but like this seems different. I can't explain why but it is. Plus that will make the thematic break in the park only worse. The giant guardians of the Galaxy ride will be looming over old hollywood.

I think the potential is there to improve/strengthen the theming in DCA. ToT is basically down an alley, detached from the rest of Hollywoodland. They could easily re-theme the ToT into a separate new and cohesive "Marvel" theme to go together with the new stuff that is going adjacent to the ToT.

I'm not necessarily supportive of the idea of converting DCA's ToT to a GotG theme, but there's a reasonable chance that it would end up being decent if not an improvement if done right. I don't see how it would in DHS though given the location of the ToT there (plus since they wouldn't be able to shut it down long enough there to do a conversion justice; DCA can lose ToT for a long period since it has plenty of other attractions).

doctornick

They do, but the operational relief outweighs that. That's why up until recently, DL did the day parade twice on peak days. Having PTN helps, but the parks both need a day parade.

You know where else could really use a day parade? DHS and it's lack of attractions (yes, I know that's problematic due to likely losing its parade storage building and having the route get torn up for construction, but there's no real excuse for not having a parade the past few years).

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
You know where else could really use a day parade? DHS and it's lack of attractions (yes, I know that's problematic due to likely losing its parade storage building and having the route get torn up for construction, but there's no real excuse for not having a parade the past few years).

Absolutely. DHS needs everything it can get, and it should absolutely have a parade.

Being a big Marvel fan, I can't imagine what iconic structure they would use to replace the tower with, if indeed this is a removal of the theme but the same ride system. The only thing I can see would be the Collector's Lair, but I don't thing a giant Celestial Skull would fit well in a Disney park...
However if they're thinking about removing the Tower altogether, I can see things being a lot different with a different ride system- but my question still is why the Tower?
The Rockin' Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios or other areas at DCA would seem like a much more appropiate fit for a Guardians Of The Galaxy ride...also the Tower of Terror is still an extremely popular ride at the parks, and even if people don't recognize with the Twilight Zone television show, they still understand the story of the ride; making it almost unique to the Disney Parks.
Praying this is just a rumor and Marvel comes in the parks in a different form.:oops:

mickEblu

Being a big Marvel fan, I can't imagine what iconic structure they would use to replace the tower with, if indeed this is a removal of the theme but the same ride system. The only thing I can see would be the Collector's Lair, but I don't thing a giant Celestial Skull would fit well in a Disney park...
However if they're thinking about removing the Tower altogether, I can see things being a lot different with a different ride system- but my question still is why the Tower?
The Rockin' Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios or other areas at DCA would seem like a much more appropiate fit for a Guardians Of The Galaxy ride...also the Tower of Terror is still an extremely popular ride at the parks, and even if people don't recognize with the Twilight Zone television show, they still understand the story of the ride; making it almost unique to the Disney Parks.
Praying this is just a rumor and Marvel comes in the parks in a different form.:oops:

I hear you.

For example, I would seriously rather have them overlay Space Mountain with GOTG then permanently lose TZTOT. SWL is being built and there is enough Star Wars presence in TL anyway.

TDO/ TDA I have your answer. Take down Hyperspace Mountain and add the GOTG overlay to both Space Mountains. There are the cost savings right there. How much could it cost to get Floridas space mountain ready for projections Etc?

At least with this overlay they could see how fast it loses its popularity and just turn it back into the original Space Mountain afterwards. With TZTOT, if they go thru with these plans it's gone.

On another note why does DL have to be The Star Wars park and DCA the Marvel park? As long they are adding quality attractions to both parks it shouldn't matter. Sure build Marvel land at DCA but I don't see any reason why GOTG can't be in Tomorrowland. Marvel, unlike Star Wars, is a bunch of different IPs

I mean all of the Pixar stuff is spread throughout both parks.

Nland316

It's been an idea in my mind since I watched a YouTube video of the ROL preview, but I was thinking that it would actually be kinda neat if the new Fantasmic utilized barges like they're used in ROL, where there are built in fountains and mist screens into them. Maybe even completely replace the current fountain system with barges like that. I feel it would bring more life and movement to the show and its effects.

Phroobar

I see ROL fountain barges as being a cheap. They never really built a lift able aircraft carrier under the water like WOC has. The barges can be easily dragged out during the show. It just doesn't have the wow factor of so many fountains that WOC has. It reminds me of something Universal would do.

Suspirian

welp...

Just an update from a trusted source, but news from TDA is that DCA's ToT extreme makeover (Bob Iger IP Ego Edition) is now showing up on planning calendars, with the ride tentatively closing September 19th and reopening in May of 2017.

The bigger plans for the pre-show and some additional exterior work were agreed to by TDA and the closure will be longer now, instead of waiting until next January. The financial greenlight won't happen until July, purposely until after Shanghai opens.

The WDW version is still stuck in limbo for a list of operational and logistical reasons exclusive to the what was once an amazing vibrant and dynamic theme park and working studio, but is now a sad corpse where you can buy lots of Star Wars crap but not actually experience any ... well ... you know ... attractions.

Nland316

Any new rumors on Fantasmic's renewal? I watched Tokyo and WDW's versions on YouTube today, and I've got to say DL's is by far the best. Hopefully they don't screw it up. Staying optimistic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom