Disneyland Resort Buys Even More Property

Phroobar

Has anyone ever seen a detailed list of what Disney owns around the resort?
600x400

Old Mouseketeer

Has anyone ever seen a detailed list of what Disney owns around the resort?

Would be very interesting. One of the earliest projects Dave Smith undertook as Disney Archivist was to map out the ownership of Disneyland. He went through the legal files and color coded what property Disney owned and occupied, didn't own, but occupied, and owned, but didnt occupy. For instance, there was a large chunk across Harbor BL where McDonalds, Mimi's Cafe, Panera, and the big hotels behind (East of) them are that was owned by Disney. Supposedly McD picked up Global Van Lines lease on their old HQ where part of TDA now stands in order to get the lot to build on Harbor, which they had wanted for some time. There were perhaps as many as 1/2 dozen motels that Disney owned and operated independently on Harbor, Katella, and West St. (but Disneyland Hotel reservations could conveniently refer you there if they were full) with names like Heidi and Peter Pan. These were finally demolished for DCA. They bought the old Grand Hotel out of bankruptcy to demolish it for Pumbaa Lot. I believe they also bought the Emerald of Anaheim hotel out of bankruptcy--that's now Disney Paradise Pier Hotel. The story of the "strawberry field" where Toy Story Lot is now is alleged to be an epic tale in itself.

Old Mouseketeer

I'm not saying they have the right to be a-holes. I'm just wondering if they ARE a-holes to their staff or is it the other way around.

Do employees show up late or at all? Do they not perform their job as expected? I am saying that a front line cast member running the dumbo ride doesn't need a college degree to run the ride. Anyone can do it if properly trained by their managers on how the ride operates and how to greet guests based on the ride operation specs manual. As with any service oriented job, the employee needs to be respectful of the customer and find ways to make them happy within the bounds of their job. If they can't, management needs to step in and help solve the problem. If better training is required, it's managements job to provide it. Their job performance depends on their worker bee's performance. It's not in management's best interest to treat them like crap but there is line where their skill set outweighs the amount of problems they generate.

"Worker bees"? Did you seriously say that? Do you have even the faintest notion how offensive that is? You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Have you looked at the demographics of DL's workforce in the last decades? There are a lot of older workers who are economic refugees in our anemic economy. Do you have any idea how many CMs are underemployed, working in jobs that are far less than what their education and experience qualifies them for? And did you miss the part about working for less than a living wage?

"...but there is line where their skill set outweighs the amount of problems they generate." You seriously need to just stop. Now. Seriously. I have friends that are dealing with these problems. DL management is weak, at best. I know of one department where the Director can't replace the weak, clueless, ineffective senior manager because everyone under that person is even weaker and less competent.

Just. Stop.

yookeroo

Would be very interesting. One of the earliest projects Dave Smith undertook as Disney Archivist was to map out the ownership of Disneyland. He went through the legal files and color coded what property Disney owned and occupied, didn't own, but occupied, and owned, but didnt occupy. For instance, there was a large chunk across Harbor BL where McDonalds, Mimi's Cafe, Panera, and the big hotels behind (East of) them are that was owned by Disney. Supposedly McD picked up Global Van Lines lease on their old HQ where part of TDA now stands in order to get the lot to build on Harbor, which they had wanted for some time. There were perhaps as many as 1/2 dozen motels that Disney owned and operated independently on Harbor, Katella, and West St. (but Disneyland Hotel reservations could conveniently refer you there if they were full) with names like Heidi and Peter Pan. These were finally demolished for DCA. They bought the old Grand Hotel out of bankruptcy to demolish it for Pumbaa Lot. I believe they also bought the Emerald of Anaheim hotel out of bankruptcy--that's now Disney Paradise Pier Hotel. The story of the "strawberry field" where Toy Story Lot is now is alleged to be an epic tale in itself.

I was so hoping that the Little Boy Blue Motel would be on the list of Disney owned motels.

Old Mouseketeer

I was so hoping that the Little Boy Blue Motel would be on the list of Disney owned motels.
LOL. Sadly, I doubt it. The only one I know of them owning is the Carousel, which they just bought last year. Disney's statement at the time was that it would continue to be run independently.

Phroobar

I second the motion. I won't respond to any more of this O/T in this thread. I didn't mean for this to happen. My bad.
You say we should stay on topic and that you will not respond to any more more O/T remarks. Then you do this:

"Worker bees"? Did you seriously say that? Do you have even the faintest notion how offensive that is? ... Just. Stop.

Guess what. Disney is not the only game in town. If you can't survive on the pay Disney offers or don't agree with the work environment or don't like your boss then don't work there! Get an education. Move in with room mates. Do something to better yourself. It is stupid to work for a place that pays very little just for the honor of working in a theme park and then complain. No one should be living in a hotel just because they have a low wage job at Disney. I doubt that is true anyway unless there is some kind of mental issue. They should seek professional help.

Granted we have all had crappy managers but you do your best to deal with the situation and look for ways to move out of that department to somewhere you call the shots. Sometimes a cast members comes in contact with a jerk. A cast member has to do learn to handle the situation. It is part of the job. No matter what you think an hourly cast member is worth to a multi-billion dollar corporation at the end of the day, a cast member is just a worker bee. They are not special and are easy to replace and no different from a cashier at Taco Bell. No matter how you think Walt would have treated his front line cast members, if they got out of line, Walt would have gotten rid of them too. Heck, Walt even got rid of his top artist talent because they tried to unionize. Walt would have never paid someone a top artist salary for stick figures. You are paid for what your perceived value is worth.

Sorry folks, we return you to discussion already in progress.

Curious Constance

You know, I can't remember if there really is a drag club next door to the Little Boy Blue, or if I made it up. LOL

Again, I must defer to Hans on this one. He's stayed at the Little Boy Blue so many times he's basically part owner now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom