Disneyland Planning Advice

BlackCauldron

Original Poster
Hello all -

First off, if this post is in the wrong thread, please feel free to re-locate.

WDW vet here planning our first trip out to Disneyland in 2018. Since it is our first visit, we are planning on spending 5 days at Disneyland, which should give us the opportunity to really soak everything in, move at a leisurely pace and see everything we want multiple times. I've extensively read the thread on Disneyland for WDW travelers here but still have a few questions.

1. When to go? We have several travel options available: beginning of March (5-9), last half of April (from 16-20 or 23-27), September right after Labor Day, or November the week prior to Thanksgiving. Are any of those better than others? We are aiming to travel during low/moderate crowds.

2. Where to Stay? We've decided that the benefits of staying at a Disney hotel don't justify the increased cost, so we are opting for an off-site hotel. We are currently looking at the Anaheim Fairfield, Courtyard Theme Park, Park View Inn or the Anaheim Desert Inn. All seem to be relatively close in price and a short walk to the esplanade. Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of those hotels?

3. What Airport to fly into? Coming from Chicago on Southwest, so we have two options - LAX or John Wayne. Flights to LAX are significantly cheaper. Is traffic from LAX to Disneyland really that bad? Would there be any reason to pay the increased cost to fly into John Wayne?

4. Fantasmic Dinner Package - is the premium seating area worth the cost of the package?

Thanks to all!

Phroobar

Flying into LAX is a zoo and it will take you 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on traffic to get to Disneyland. Never go there!

John Wayne is definitely the way to go since it will take much less time to get to park and much more relaxing (except for the "crash landing" and "moon shot" the plane has to make to on landing and takeoff to reduce plane noise.

JediMasterMatt

See below for my 2 cents:

1. When to go?: The great debate. If you choose to travel to Disneyland during "less busy" times (although, those days are few and far between) you run into the quandary of having way more refurbs and way less entertainment offerings (fireworks, parades, nighttime spectaculars, etc). Because of this, I suggest using discretion and choosing busier than slow periods; but, less than peak when entertainment and offerings aren't quite as curtailed. My secret week on the calendar these days is the last week of August before Labor Day. The weekends will be a busy; but, the weekdays are consistently very manageable and historically the only two detractions on the entertainment/refurb list are no weekday Fantasmic and likely no Haunted Mansion for the whole stay (although depending on how the calendar may fall, the Sunday before Labor Day might still have it open). Historically, fireworks and parades each night during the week and manageable crowds make this week one of the last remaining "balanced" weeks of full services and manageable crowds. The weekdays after New Years can also be similar; but, historically a bit busier and more chance of rain or winds that will cancel fireworks. You can always go during any annual pass blocked day and have less crowds than a peak day with unblocked passes as well. In my opinion, for a first time visit - you will want the full operational experience that Disneyland offers, so I wouldn't recommend trying to find the lowest crowds as you'll likely hit some big E-ticket refurbs.

2. Where to stay?: You've already addressed the biggest item (is it worth to stay on property at DLR *it's not) and you've already picked up on the hotels across Harbor. Your options are good and I'll add the Camelot Inn and Suites as well. Big rooms and good service and it has become our favorite option in recent trips (although, I haven't been back since the Carousel next door has started coming down).

3. What Airport to fly into?: LAX may be cheaper; but, factor in transportation costs and more importantly - the time it takes to not only commute; but, the time it takes to go through security and SNA is a MUCH more feasible solution. You can consistently make it to DLR in less than 30 minutes from SNA whereas LAX can be 45 minutes to 4 hours. In my opinion, it's worth the extra price to go into SNA and be happier than deal with LAX. My wife HATES LAX and has broken down in tears each trip we've attempted to go through there.

4. Fantasmic Dinner Package?: I hate to sound a like a broken record whenever it comes to these upcharge items at the parks; but, time is always the most valuable commodity you have on vacation. If getting a better than average view of Fantasmic is important to you, then the dinner package (assuming Fantasmic 2.0 uses the same Blue Bayou site as it did before it went down) gives you the best opportunity to have a good view without waiting too long. The last iteration of viewing had the BB in the front and center. I will recommend always selecting the second showing for either F! or WoC as the crowds are less and the only time I've seen BB's section full for the 2nd show was the very last night of F! 1.0 in 2016. Since you're going to be on your first trip to DLR, you'll likely want to eat at BB anyway, so take advantage of both. I apply the same logic for WoC, which is best experienced at the very front and center section (where the 3 mist screens can align and you are close enough to see refraction of light in the individual drops of water). Carthay Circle offers you first pick of any zone for WoC (even if a CM tells you otherwise, have them check with their Team Lead) and they get to go wherever first once seating is opened. Also, it helps that Carthay is the best of the in park dinning options and I've never been let down with a meal there.

Most important of all for a WDW vet and DLR first timer - DON'T TRY TO MAKE A DLR VISIT LIKE A WDW VISIT. WDW has become an exhausting exercise of preplanning and micromanagement. You spend your whole time onsite watching the clock to make sure your best laid plans don't go to waste. The great thing about DLR is you don't have to treat it that way. DLR is best experienced by letting the day unfold on their own. Plan where you want to start the day and where you want to end it and then tour like you use to at WDW before MM+. As long as you are aware of when your next FP window becomes available, your hardest choices are going to be deciding if you should turn right or left. You can get lost in the spontaneous fun you will get wrapped up in. You'll find characters roaming the streets unencumbered by handlers, musical acts, vehicles going here and there and who knows what else you may find. DLR is like a warm reassuring hug of why you fell for Disney Parks in the first place.

westie

Go in Nov. Stay at the DCA Resort (it has its own entrance to DCA). Fly into John Wayne (10 minute cab ride), Fantasmic? Dunno. We usually do WoC and dine at Carthay. Blue Bayou is nice if you've never done it though.

BubbaQuest

I'm surprised John Wayne is that much more than LAX for Southwest. There's a fare war going on between Long Beach and John Wayne right now, and Southwest via SNA tends to be the cheapest. Maybe there are no 'Wanna Get Away' fares right now? Might be worth signing up for price alerts for SNA since the trip is still a bit in the future. As others have mentioned John Wayne is *much* easier than LAX. However, I understand if you're traveling with family the cost differences can add up quickly.

You should be fine with any of those hotels on Harbor. The only thing to watch out for is *if* Disney starts working on their new parking garage. There may be lots of construction near some of those hotels on Harbor. You might want to follow this thread for updates: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-disneyland-parking-garage-and-transportation-hub.916599/

I normally avoid the month of April because spring break pretty much lasts the whole month around here. Personally I'd probably go early March or before Thanksgiving. One thing to watch out for around Labor Day is Disney keeps pushing their Halloween parties closer and closer to August so park hours may be a bit weird in September. The only issue for November would be if you *don't* want to see the Holiday versions of Haunted Mansion and Small World. I think they are great and the Christmas overlay is the best time to visit Disneyland. However, there are purists that will definitely disagree with that :)

Hope this helps.

Texas84

Labor Day weekend is race weekend. A few posters here like to fly SWA into Ontario (ONT) but I prefer SNA myself. LAX, forget about it. Pay extra to avoid that dump.

BlackCauldron

Original Poster
Labor Day weekend is race weekend. A few posters here like to fly SWA into Ontario (ONT) but I prefer SNA myself. LAX, forget about it. Pay extra to avoid that dump.

After looking at the fares again, it does look like the flights to SNA have come down in price. Unfortunately, there is only one direct flight offered daily between SNA and MDW, and it gets me into California later than I would like, but it might be worth it to save me the headache of LAX.

If we went in September, it would likely be the week after Labor Day, closer to the middle of the month, which means it would likely coincide with the Halloween Party. Upon further reflection, this might not be the way to go, because I really want to see the original Space Mountain vs. the Ghost Galaxy overlay.

I normally avoid the month of April because spring break pretty much lasts the whole month around here. Personally I'd probably go early March or before Thanksgiving. One thing to watch out for around Labor Day is Disney keeps pushing their Halloween parties closer and closer to August so park hours may be a bit weird in September. The only issue for November would be if you *don't* want to see the Holiday versions of Haunted Mansion and Small World. I think they are great and the Christmas overlay is the best time to visit Disneyland. However, there are purists that will definitely disagree with that :)

I don't mind seeing the holiday overlays of the Mansion or Small World. Something different. And it would be nice to see the parks decorated for Xmas. Are there any rides that routinely go down in November for maintenance? Are the daytime temps still relatively warm? Really want to ride Grizzly River, but don't want to be soaked to the bone in jeans and freezing.

1. When to go?: The great debate. If you choose to travel to Disneyland during "less busy" times (although, those days are few and far between) you run into the quandary of having way more refurbs and way less entertainment offerings (fireworks, parades, nighttime spectaculars, etc). Because of this, I suggest using discretion and choosing busier than slow periods; but, less than peak when entertainment and offerings aren't quite as curtailed.

This is one thing I didn't even consider. WDW has nightly entertainment nearly every day of the year, so I just assumed that Disneyland would do that as well. It sounds like they only offer entertainment nightly during the summer, and after that it becomes sporadic? Seeing Fantasmic is very much a priority, as is Paint the Night (I'm assuming it will eventually return). Fireworks are a close second. Fantasmic is only offered on weekends in September?

GiveMeTheMusic

This is one thing I didn't even consider. WDW has nightly entertainment nearly every day of the year, so I just assumed that Disneyland would do that as well. It sounds like they only offer entertainment nightly during the summer, and after that it becomes sporadic? Seeing Fantasmic is very much a priority, as is Paint the Night (I'm assuming it will eventually return). Fireworks are a close second. Fantasmic is only offered on weekends in September?

World of Color runs nightly year-round. Fireworks and Fantasmic are weekends-only outside of summer, spring break and the 2-3 weeks surrounding Christmas. The Christmas fireworks show is nice but also the least impressive in Disneyland's fireworks repertoire. As long as you make sure your 5 day trip includes at least one weekend day, you'll be fine.

PiratesMansion

After looking at the fares again, it does look like the flights to SNA have come down in price. Unfortunately, there is only one direct flight offered daily between SNA and MDW, and it gets me into California later than I would like, but it might be worth it to save me the headache of LAX.

I always fly out of Chicago to DLR, usually out of Midway. SNA is a very nice, modern airport that is completely relaxed and painless. On the way back to Chicago, I got my bag checked and through security in 15 minutes. Rental cars are right on site too, which is nice.

LAX is like an uglier, bigger, and crazier version of O'Hare. While I don't think LAX is as horrible as many people say, it is always jammed with people and everything takes much, much longer than at any other airport I've been to. It takes a long time to get off the plane, for luggage to come out at baggage claim, and get a rental car. If you are renting a car, all of LAX's car rentals are offsite, so you first have to wait to get a shuttle, and then inch through backed-up traffic until you get to the actual car rental site. Last time it took us about two hours to get off the plane, get our luggage, take the shuttle, and get our car to leave LAX. Then when you're ready to leave, you have to hope that traffic isn't too bad on your way to DLR, and you have to think about traffic again when drive back to depart.

For my upcoming trip, I chose to pay about $100 more to fly into SNA over LAX. It's much, much easier.

BubbaQuest

I don't mind seeing the holiday overlays of the Mansion or Small World. Something different. And it would be nice to see the parks decorated for Xmas. Are there any rides that routinely go down in November for maintenance? Are the daytime temps still relatively warm? Really want to ride Grizzly River, but don't want to be soaked to the bone in jeans and freezing.

November *should* still be nice. It will start cooling down later in the month, but even then it should still be hitting 70 degrees during the day. The rain in LA usually doesn't start until January, and that's normally when you'll see Grizzly River Run close for maintenance. It can get cold in Anaheim in the evening, but that's something you need to worry about year round. With 5 days, you should have plenty of time to do the water rides in the sun and then run back to the hotel to change and dry off and enjoy the nightly entertainment.

Curious Constance

I've stayed at Park Vue Inn three times. We like it a lot. If you like what you see online in the pictures, you'll get exactly that during your stay. Decent free, warm breakfast between the hours of 7-10am everyday. It's located closest to the crosswalk (several other hotels are close too but Park Vue is the closest :) ). The staff is always very helpful and nice. It's a great option, in my opinion!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom