Disneyland Paris. . . My Impressions

fosse76

Original Poster
My first oversees trip, and I spent 6 days in Paris (2 at Disneyland Paris). Initially I had planned to spend 2 days at the parks, then after some preliminary planning I decided there was too much I wanted to see in Paris so I narrowed it down to one, but then after a day which included a strike at the Musée d'Orsay and getting on the wrong RER C train to Versailles, I ended up doing a second day after all.

Overall, I felt that it was missing "something" (and I hate to use the term "Disney Magic"). Neither park felt very "Disney" to me. As I think on it, I think the minimal amount of guests who were wearing Disney paraphernalia, the lack of Disney music piped into the parks (what was piped in was pretty soft), and the lack of the obscene branding on display you see in the domestic parks may have been why. The Studios park has little-to-know themeing, so it's no mystery why that park felt un-Disney like. But here are some random thoughts:

1. It was a pretty easy commute on the RER A line, about 45 minutes (and 1 hour from the origin point). It's interesting how the foreign Disney parks are easily accessible by public transportation whereas the domestic parks are not.
2. I don't like the park entrance under the hotel. I just don't think it works aesthetically as a park entrance, and at the end of the night it gets congested with everyone have to walk around that pond in front of the hotel.
3. I loved some of the architectural differences on Main Street, and thought the naming of a restaurant for Walt and a shop after Lilly was a nice touch.
4. I like how it is spread-out enough for them to have some wonderful landscaping; but at the same time the spacial differences made the park seem a bit, "off", which brings me back to the un-Disneylike aspect I mention above.
5. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the Fantasyland dark rides are based off the Disneyland versions (Peter Pan, Snow White); Small World was closed, as was the train.
6. I like the different order of the show scenes in Pirates, it was a refreshing change (with the scenes more closely resembling Disneyland's version).
7. I didn't see the big deal about Phantom Manor. It was a more "tame version of the Haunted Mansion with an actual back story, but it felt HM-light. However I like how the mansion actually looks run down and haunted from the exterior, and the graveyard scenes are absolutely worth the experience.
8. Space Mountain to me wasn't too different than RNR as far as ride experience, and the launch is pretty weak (slowing at the top). I did like the ride's themeing though and physical sets.
9. The Nautilus was a nice little diversion, as was the Dragon under the castle, and I like the caves in Adventureland.
10. I went on a Sunday because that Monday the Indiana Jones ride was going to be closed for the rest of the week. So I had to endure large crowds (which were non-existent when I revisited a few days later). The only thing that ties this ride to Indiana Jones is the name. It could've been a ride in any other park (Six Flags, Universal, Cedar Fair). And while it was fun, I know now that I could have done without it.
11. The fairytale boat cruise and Casey Junior are inspired by Disneyland, but also felt un-Disney-like. I liked that the boats didn't feel like they could tip over at any moment (unlike at DLR) but they play classical music throughout, and it definitely wasn't completely Disney. Casey Junior felt very much like a corporate cash-infused version of a quaint ride, so it felt very "clinical".
12. The Studios was really awful. And while I did enjoy a few rides there, I felt even Six Flags would have done a better job themeing the place. It was embarrassingly bad.

Animaniac93-98

11. The fairytale boat cruise and Casey Junior are inspired by Disneyland, but also felt un-Disney-like. I liked that the boats didn't feel like they could tip over at any moment (unlike at DLR) but they play classical music throughout, and it definitely wasn't completely Disney. Casey Junior felt very much like a corporate cash-infused version of a quaint ride, so it felt very "clinical".

They do play Disney music in the ride. The most obvious examples are in the Cave of Wonders, Ariel's voice next to Eric's castle and next to the Sword in the Stone. There are scenes in the ride based on shorts that used classical music (Peter and the Wolf, Night on Bald Mountain).

I'm not sure how you coud make either ride any more "Disney" than they are as they both use visual and musical cues related to various Disney produced shorts and features. Even the canal boats are named after Disney characters.

JillC LI

It sounds like your visit was a bit of a disappointment. I'm sorry. We loved our first visit this past July.
I will agree, though, that I was surprised the "minimal amount of guests who were wearing Disney paraphernalia." I think the shirts worn by our family of four were the only Disney shirts I saw on guests in either park. The stores seemed to be selling a lot of Disney stuff though.

The Empress Lilly

1. It was a pretty easy commute on the RER A line, about 45 minutes (and 1 hour from the origin point). It's interesting how the foreign Disney parks are easily accessible by public transportation whereas the domestic parks are not.
2. I don't like the park entrance under the hotel. I just don't think it works aesthetically as a park entrance, and at the end of the night it gets congested with everyone have to walk around that pond in front of the hotel.
3. I loved some of the architectural differences on Main Street, and thought the naming of a restaurant for Walt and a shop after Lilly was a nice touch.

Yes to all three.

7. I didn't see the big deal about Phantom Manor. It was a more "tame version of the Haunted Mansion with an actual back story, but it felt HM-light. However I like how the mansion actually looks run down and haunted from the exterior, and the graveyard scenes are absolutely worth the experience.
I prefer the MK HM, but DLP's version definitely has something going for it too. It took me a while to appreciate it though. There is a haunting beauty to it. Like the Mansions in the American parks, PM is almost two experiences in one. There is the haunting melancholia of the bride and the gardens, and then there is the wild west story and that guy.
The Manor also ties in with the rest of Thunder Mesa, linking it story-wise to Big Thunder etcetera, although it all feels a bit too convoluted for my liking.

8. Space Mountain to me wasn't too different than RNR as far as ride experience, and the launch is pretty weak (slowing at the top). I did like the ride's themeing though and physical sets.
Space and RnRC do feel a bit same-ish, don't they?

9. The Nautilus was a nice little diversion, as was the Dragon under the castle, and I like the caves in Adventureland.

The little walkthroughs that blur the line between scenery, props, and attraction are gems that make DLP sparkle. I love them. Did you see Aladdin too, one of my favourite little diversions?

12. The Studios was really awful. And while I did enjoy a few rides there, I felt even Six Flags would have done a better job themeing the place. It was embarrassingly bad.
Yes, what a difference ten years made for Eisner, who went from the castle park, which is a labour of love, to the Studios, which is insultingly sparse. Still, WDSP does have a good ride line-up by now. All is not lost.

The Empress Lilly

I'm always a little worried to read this. I'm going to DLP in two weeks and I can't wait for Place de Remy and Rattatouille the ride. Is it really that bad in terms of theming etc?
The Rat area is gorgeous!

There are also other bits of reasonably themed areas scattered throughout. But overall the park is a cheap mess. The park was build by clever suits, "what if we just build concrete paths and soundstages...we sell it as backlot themed and flash some Disney magic around for the rubes...then we can just change the marque and content at will to move in any new IP's we need to push..."

Stevie Amsterdam

The Rat area is gorgeous!

There are also other bits of reasonably themed areas scattered throughout. But overall the park is a cheap mess. The park was build by clever suits, "what if we just build concrete paths and soundstages...we sell it as backlot themed and flash some Disney magic around for the rubes...then we can just change the marque and content at will to move in any new IP's we need to push..."
I get what you mean. I'm just happy that DLP (as a resort) is finally crawling out of the depths it was for the last decade. I follow InsideDLParis on Facebook and every day there's new photos of fresh paints, refurbs, etc.

Did you know that by 2030 DLP has to have a 3rd gate or else it has to give back some of the land to the French government? I think it's future is so very bright that's why I'm returning again in a few weeks.

xmlguy

Disney should have light rail connections in Orlando to the Airport and Amtrak (and to all the resorts, Disney Springs, etc.), and in Anaheim to Metrolink. But that makes too much sense for the last 2 decades worth of Disney's park operations management.

fosse76

Original Poster
The little walkthroughs that blur the line between scenery, props, and attraction are gems that make DLP sparkle. I love them. Did you see Aladdin too, one of my favourite little diversions?

Actually I did, and only by accident. It started to rain so I took shelter in there when I realised it was a walk-through. I thought it was very well done. I think I got pictures of every scene.

Yes, what a difference ten years made for Eisner, who went from the castle park, which is a labour of love, to the Studios, which is insultingly sparse. Still, WDSP does have a good ride line-up by now. All is not lost.
Ther RNR was a bit weird, themeing-wise. But I did enjoy a few a=of the attractions there. I actually liked the two main rides in Toy Story land, but they are woefully low capacity.

Jon81uk

Someof these thoughts feel like differences between the USA and Europe in general.

We don't wear bright brash theme-park t-shirts, we are too self-concious.
Americans like cars and gas (petrol) is cheaper in the USA so there is less of a focus on public transport. But also I guess the Tokyo and Paris parks are just outside major cities. Orlando is not a major city really.

FigmentForver96

I get the idea they are going with WDSP and honestly I felt like it could work better then Hollywood Studios, but it needs help. Without armchair imaginering, the park should celebrate Hollywood and the movie as a whole. Stage 1 needs to come down and be Hollywood, real Hollywood down to the Tower of Terror. Everything in that area should be the stage. A portion could be a backlot like you would find in Hollywood and do all the amazing things they love to do. Other areas should celebrate movies in general. Its not hard and for a idea that is so easy to do they seem to have such a terrible time doing it.

EngineJoe

My first oversees trip, and I spent 6 days in Paris (2 at Disneyland Paris). Initially I had planned to spend 2 days at the parks, then after some preliminary planning I decided there was too much I wanted to see in Paris so I narrowed it down to one, but then after a day which included a strike at the Musée d'Orsay and getting on the wrong RER C train to Versailles, I ended up doing a second day after all.

Overall, I felt that it was missing "something" (and I hate to use the term "Disney Magic"). Neither park felt very "Disney" to me. As I think on it, I think the minimal amount of guests who were wearing Disney paraphernalia, the lack of Disney music piped into the parks (what was piped in was pretty soft), and the lack of the obscene branding on display you see in the domestic parks may have been why. The Studios park has little-to-know themeing, so it's no mystery why that park felt un-Disney like. But here are some random thoughts:

4. I like how it is spread-out enough for them to have some wonderful landscaping; but at the same time the spacial differences made the park seem a bit, "off", which brings me back to the un-Disneylike aspect I mention above.
5. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the Fantasyland dark rides are based off the Disneyland versions (Peter Pan, Snow White); Small World was closed, as was the train.
6. I like the different order of the show scenes in Pirates, it was a refreshing change (with the scenes more closely resembling Disneyland's version).
10. I went on a Sunday because that Monday the Indiana Jones ride was going to be closed for the rest of the week. So I had to endure large crowds (which were non-existent when I revisited a few days later). The only thing that ties this ride to Indiana Jones is the name. It could've been a ride in any other park (Six Flags, Universal, Cedar Fair). And while it was fun, I know now that I could have done without it.

Have you been to Tokyo Disneyland. How does that compare? Do you find Tokyo Disneyland unDisney too?

TheDisneyTeen

Have you been to Tokyo Disneyland. How does that compare? Do you find Tokyo Disneyland unDisney too?
No way is TDR undisney. To me, it's the most Disney, by a far margin. Almost everyone wears Disney outfits or matching outfits there with crazy Disney accessories. The parks have a ton of unique and rare characters, most of them free roaming, which adds to the overall atmosphere of the park. Imagine turning into fantasyland and seeing all the dwarves dancing around snow white....... The park overall is spotless and has been maintained so well you would guess that the place opened a week ago. Theming wise, both parks are great. TDL's Theming falls a bit flat because of the open spaces required to manage the large crowds and the lack of elevation. Doesn't quite feel as intimate as other castle parks. Disney sea though, takes Theming to the next level. By far, it the epitome of what Disney imagineers can do.
If anything, the only thing undisney about the resort is that it isn't technically owned by Disney, but Oriental Land Company. :)

RobOttawa

No way is TDR undisney. To me, it's the most Disney, by a far margin. Almost everyone wears Disney outfits or matching outfits there with crazy Disney accessories. The parks have a ton of unique and rare characters, most of them free roaming, which adds to the overall atmosphere of the park. Imagine turning into fantasyland and seeing all the dwarves dancing around snow white....... The park overall is spotless and has been maintained so well you would guess that the place opened a week ago. Theming wise, both parks are great. TDL's Theming falls a bit flat because of the open spaces required to manage the large crowds and the lack of elevation. Doesn't quite feel as intimate as other castle parks. Disney sea though, takes Theming to the next level. By far, it the epitome of what Disney imagineers can do.
If anything, the only thing undisney about the resort is that it isn't technically owned by Disney, but Oriental Land Company. :)

Agreed! The Japanese LOVE Disney! More than any other destination, you'll see lots of Disney clothing in Tokyo.

To comment on the Phantom Manor, I thought it was well done. I really think it looks the most impressive from the outside as well. It's really cool. Plus I don't know if anyone noticed, but the grounds around it are covered in blueberry bushes. When I was there in August, there were blueberries all over. I didn't eat any but they looked very cool.

A foolish mortal

I dont know if you have seen this, but they are doing some refurbishment to 10 rides over two years as they know the condition of the rides (and park) is bad. Hopefully that will bring back the magic! http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201512/4870/

One thing I still remember from my visit 8 years ago (at age 13) is the Phantom Manor music. I prefer this music over the ones at WDW and DL. It has a scarier feel to it and feels more like you're in a "movie" with a full orchestra.

I also love the singing lady.. so creepy :O I prefer this over the 80s organ WDW and DL has :p I also like the exterior.. but also some of the interior and story. I really like the grand staircase at the loading area. Get the feeling its actually a mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom