Disneyland on the Upside...Down

Phroobar

Original Poster
Just looking through google at pictures and came across FantaWild Adventure in China. This is the most bizaar collection of Disney ripoffs I've ever seen. Anyone been to this place?
tourists-visit-the-wuhu-fanta-wild-dream-land-on-april-30-2015-in-picture-id526764566

I guess the Chinese liked the concept of the orange stinger. They built an apple with a swing ride inside.
shantou_fantawild_wave_swinger.jpg

what about barb?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I'm surprised Disney hasn't found a way to stop places like this.

I just checked the Googles and this place is only about 200 miles from Shanghai Disneyland. According to Wikipedia there are 10 of these parks across China, and the article below says there'll be 40 of them "in the next 10 to 20 years". :cautious:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2016-06/29/content_25895690.htm

Interesting that the article also mentions there are unconfirmed reports about Disney looking at a 3rd Chinese location for a resort in western China.

Last edited by a moderator:

OliveMcFly

I just checked the Googles and this place is only about 200 miles from Shanghai Disneyland. According to Wikipedia there are 10 of these parks across China, and the article below says there'll be 40 of them "in the next 10 to 20 years'. :cautious:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2016-06/29/content_25895690.htm

Interesting that the article also mentions that there are unconfirmed reports about Disney looking at a 3rd Chinese location for a resort in western China.
Interesting. Thank you.

rle4lunch

Yeah, there has always been a 'tiff' with patent and copyright infringement with China/Taiwan/Taipei. Anyone remember the Sony situation back in the 80's with Sony Walkman and other products that weren't the real deal?
BlbAnS7IcAAIfoj.jpg

Phroobar

Original Poster
So every theme park in China needs to look like Disneyland? Why would anyone go to the real thing?

I think I would be afraid to ride anything they've built.
At least for a few years, I'd be afraid to ride anything at the real Shanghai Disneyland park too. Hopefully they did a better job at building the hotels than Sochi did for the Olympics.

GiveMeTheMusic

At least for a few years, I'd be afraid to ride anything at the real Shanghai Disneyland park too. Hopefully they did a better job at building the hotels than Sochi did for the Olympics.

You can feel confident and safe at Shanghai Disney. The Imagineers had to have many structures rebuilt more than once to ensure they were up to American construction standards. What I'll be interested to see going forward is how maintenance is handled and how well.

Phroobar

Original Poster
You can feel confident and safe at Shanghai Disney. The Imagineers had to have many structures rebuilt more than once to ensure they were up to American construction standards. What I'll be interested to see going forward is how maintenance is handled and how well.
I hope it stays well maintaned. Hong Kong seems to be maintaining things fine. China is kind of low on our list of places to visit. I would like to do DLP once they finish rebuilding the place.

http://ahongkongdisneyland.disney.g...v0100/en_US/aboutOurCompany/safety_report.pdf

GiveMeTheMusic

I hope it stays well maintaned. Hong Kong seems to be maintaining things fine. China is kind of low on our list of places to visit. I would like to do DLP once they finish rebuilding the place.

http://ahongkongdisneyland.disney.g...v0100/en_US/aboutOurCompany/safety_report.pdf

HKDL does a really wonderful job despite the lame hand they were dealt in 2005 by Disney. They're an entirely different culture than Shanghai however, with different regulations and established contractors. HK is very western due to being a British colony for so long. Would highly recommend it as part of an Asian trip.

DLP is great, and should be in great shape by next summer. Looking forward to revisiting it to see it looking nice again - it's been awhile.

Rich T

I hear the power lines are for show. They give it that old timey pre-dca feel.
Is it wrong of me to say I think that bearded tree thing's awesome...and I love the charming little curved wall around it... and that it's more interesting than WDW's New Fantasyland? :D

D

Deleted member 107043

Is it wrong of me to say I think that bearded tree thing's awesome...and I love the charming little curved wall around it... and that it's more interesting than WDW's New Fantasyland? :D

And I'm super impressed by the rock work on their runaway mine train. Yeah, they've done some pretty crappy imitations of Disney Park icons, but the place looks a lot better than your average Six Flags park here in the States.

Last edited by a moderator:

VJ

China has a thing for knockoff Disneylands. Japan did too, before Tokyo Disneyland (see Nara Dreamland). It's fascinating.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I watched an urban explorer walk through Nara Dreamland. They checked out the haunted house at two in the morning. It was the creepest haunted maze I've ever seen. Knott's needs to give people flashlights and have them explore an abandoned theme park haunted house. It would be really meda. I'll post the link to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom