Disneyland Half Marathon Trip?!

Hannah1284

Original Poster
I'm considering a 2013 trip to Disneyland for the half marathon, which I understand usually happens over labor day.

I've never been to Disneyland. Because we live on the east coast we've always done WDW.

I am wondering about crowd levels. Would it be better to spend a few days after or a few days before the race?

Cosmic Commando

Touring Plans says the week after Labor Day is better (3 or 4 out of 10) than the week before (5's), but not a huge difference. I think the local schools go back in the middle of August, so it's mostly the same.

Mad Stitch

I was in your situation for the 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon and decided to stay the week after the race. Something to keep in mind, or an eye out for, is that Labor Day is considered the last day of the summer season. Therefore attractions may close for rehabs; fireworks will no longer be nightly. Not too big a deal if you plan for it. Be sure to sign up for the race as soon as it opens, it sells out fast.

Hannah1284

Original Poster
I was in your situation for the 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon and decided to stay the week after the race. Something to keep in mind, or an eye out for, is that Labor Day is considered the last day of the summer season. Therefore attractions may close for rehabs; fireworks will no longer be nightly. Not too big a deal if you plan for it. Be sure to sign up for the race as soon as it opens, it sells out fast.

Thanks! I'm shooting for a bi-coastal medal so I'll be quick to jump on it. By fast, how fast do you mean (minutes...hours...or days/weeks?). I will need to know how quickly I need to be on the site and plan it out. Also wondering when they'll open up registration?

Mad Stitch

The 2012 race sold out in 34 days. There was pre-registration at the WDW Marathon Weekend Expo, then it opened to the general public a week later.

Hannah1284

Original Poster
The 2012 race sold out in 34 days. There was pre-registration at the WDW Marathon Weekend Expo, then it opened to the general public a week later.

Ah. Not too bad. I don't need to make sure I'm at the computer the second it opens...I can do it that day after work.

So, sometime in Jan/early Feb it should be opening to the public?

Miceberg

I'm considering a 2013 trip to Disneyland for the half marathon, which I understand usually happens over labor day.

I've never been to Disneyland. Because we live on the east coast we've always done WDW.

I am wondering about crowd levels. Would it be better to spend a few days after or a few days before the race?

I live super close to Disneyland and visit (too much?) a lot. I've participated in the last two 5k races over Labor Day & stayed at the resort that weekend. IMHO, the week AFTER Labor Day is much better as far as crowd volume goes. The majority of schools in the immediate area begin the Tuesday after Labor Day, so all those annual passholders with little kiddies are not visiting the parks. My not so little kiddie works at DCA and she has noticed the parks feel less crowded after the holiday too.

Hannah1284

Original Poster
I live super close to Disneyland and visit (too much?) a lot. I've participated in the last two 5k races over Labor Day & stayed at the resort that weekend. IMHO, the week AFTER Labor Day is much better as far as crowd volume goes. The majority of schools in the immediate area begin the Tuesday after Labor Day, so all those annual passholders with little kiddies are not visiting the parks. My not so little kiddie works at DCA and she has noticed the parks feel less crowded after the holiday too.

Thanks! I talked DH into going to Cali for the week. We'll do a few days of Disney and a few days elsewhere. Woohoo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom