Disneyland Australia, Open Brainstorming

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Well, the point of open brainstorming is continuing to build a project over time. It's not like we'll just leave this thread off with what we have so far then move onto the next big thing. Like Disneyland, open brainstorming threads will never be complete, as long as there is imagination left in the world...aka internet.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Yeah, we just haven't continued on...I kind of got us started with the east side of the park (Adventureland, Westernland), but didn't continue on with Fantasyland and the futuristic lands, I didn't want to take too much command over a thread that should be worked on by all of us.

Brer Panther

I once had an idea for a "Pink Elephants on Parade" roller coaster for my own version of Disneyland Australia. Maybe we could include that in the circus subland where Toy Story Mania will be located?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I think we ended up nixing Toy Story from Fantasyland, but what an interesting concept for a coaster! I'm interested to hear more. So, why not start brainstorming from this general blueprint. And while we're at it, let's just start from scratch. Basically, the plot of land we have to work with is two theme parks, a shopping district, and two hotels. Instead of just feeding us ideas, let's start with Fantasyland. What should the castle be?

My first pitch is this entire list...

1. It's a Small World: An updated take on a personal favorite of mine.
2. 4 Dark Rides: We replace the four classics with four originals, meaning no Snow White, no Pinocchio, no Mr. Toad, and no Peter Pan. Shocking, right? There is such a huge library of films to choose from, so why not? I think we should even steer clear of Pooh, Ariel, and Alice just to be harder on ourselves. Think of all the films that haven't been touched by Fantasyland dark rides... Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Frozen, Mary Poppins, Fantasia, Beauty & the Beast, Tangled, Sleepy Hollow, Nightmare Before Christmas, Silly Symphonies, etc.
3. Nighttime Show: Just to get even more original, let's give Fantasmic! and World of Color the axe and make an original nighttime spectacular for our Fantasyland, probably held in an outdoor, multipurpose amphitheater.
4. Sub-Areas: Three I can immediately spit out off the top of my head... Small World Plaza, Storybook Village, and Dumbo's Circus.
5. Dumbo's Circus: A whimsical, expanded remake of Florida's Storybook Circus and the abandoned Dumbo's Circusland concept. In this Disney-filled circus, dueling Dumbos are featured, a Pink Elephants roller coaster, and Mickey's Madcap Circus, a trackless dark ride that I'll share more about later.
6. Villains' Lair: A creepy walkthrough attraction beneath the castle, a la the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour, but vastly different.

Thoughts so far? Please contribute, this is open brainstorming.

mharrington

Mickey's Madcap Circus, a trackless dark ride that I'll share more about later.

Great! I would like to see that sometime soon! I am trying to work out a similar ride of my own for WDW's Storybook Circus, but I'm having a very hard time of it! Will it be based on the abandoned Mickey's Mad House concept, which is themed to old Mickey cartoons?

TheKarnivalKid

Just because I feel like there is some demand for a bigger villain presence in the parks (or at least I would like to see more villains in the parks) I would turn Villain's Lair into a villain themed sub-land.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
No, this isn't the fireworks show, this is the nighttime spectacular with live actors, set pieces, special effects, etc. The fireworks show is in front of the castle, and personally, something with projection mapping would be awesome, especially if our castle is huge.

Mickey's Madcap Circus is loosely based off of Mickey's Circus, a dark ride designed by myself and several others for SYWTBAI awhile back. In this dark ride, guests board circus caravans and journey through a whimsical circus filled with various special effects and gags, including Donald who persistently tries to be the headlining act. At the end of the show, Mickey prepares to perform a dunk tank act, but is forcefully joined by Donald who plunges the entire circus into an underwater fiasco, complete with merpeople, sharks, and a hungry sea serpent.

Well, the original DLA had its own villain land entitled "Chernabog Square", a ruined European village looming under the shadow of Bald Mountain. Basically, Chernabog Square had the following attractions, if I remember correctly.

1. Bald Mountain
2. The Haunted Castle
3. Villains Tonight!
4. Disney Villains' Nightclub

Bald Mountain was an intense roller coaster themed to the "Night on Bald Mountain" segment from Fantasia. The Haunted Castle was a medieval take on the traditional Haunted Mansion, as in many medieval elements were added, including an armory, a cowardly knight and his horse in place of the caretaker, a creepy castle facade, and perhaps my favorite substitutes of my career - medieval stretching portraits.

1. A princess with a parasol on a tightrope...above the maw of a hungry dragon.
2. An elderly queen holding a rose...sitting atop the grave of her beheaded husband.
3. A courtroom jester...standing atop something dangerous (TBD).
4. A brave knight with his arms folded...sitting on the shoulders of a damsel sitting on the back of the knight's horse as they sink in a pit of quicksand.

The Haunted Castle itself had a distinct fantasy feel to it, paying homage to the various ghosts and undead baddies of fantasy, such as Dracula, Medusa, Nero, Caesar, and others. Thoughts on that? Would y'all prefer a medieval spin on the Haunted Mansion, the 1920's take on the mansion set on Main Street, or a Haunted Hollywood version for a Hollywoodland. Or, better yet, a mansion-like cabin in the woods for an extension land of our Frontierland. Thoughts?

Were we to do an extension of Frontierland, I think Folk Tale Forest might be a viable option. Folk Tale Forest is a land I designed a couple years ago dedicated to the great stories of the American West, including the tales of Uncle Remus. The Haunted Mansion could be featured here as a large cabin surrounded by a dense pine forest.

Villains Tonight! was a 4D movie and the Disney Villains' Nightclub was a trackless dark ride through a shady nightclub littered with animatronic incarnations of Disney's biggest baddies, owned and operated by none other than Pete. In the ride's climax, Pete puts on Yen Sid's hat and becomes a sorcerer, engaging in a battle with Mickey who saves the riders from certain doom with the villains.

Twilight_Roxas

Well for the fireworks show heres some things that could have in it.

Fireworks
Animated projections Mapping
Fountains
Mist Screens
Lasers
Fire

mharrington

Mickey's Madcap Circus is loosely based off of Mickey's Circus, a dark ride designed by myself and several others for SYWTBAI awhile back. In this dark ride, guests board circus caravans and journey through a whimsical circus filled with various special effects and gags, including Donald who persistently tries to be the headlining act. At the end of the show, Mickey prepares to perform a dunk tank act, but is forcefully joined by Donald who plunges the entire circus into an underwater fiasco, complete with merpeople, sharks, and a hungry sea serpent.

That's too bad. No offense, but I was hoping that this might be a version of Mickey's Fun House, which is what I'm having a very tough time trying to do.

I've been trying to figure out how to work this Mickey's Fun House concept, because it is based on "Mickey's Mad House", a concept for the never-created Dumbo's Circusland, which I think Storybook Circus is based on. But there's very little information to go on, which means that I'm pretty much left to do the concept from scratch. I'm not very good at making up stuff like this out of my own head.

Twilight_Roxas

Actually, I'm hoping maybe to use this thread as a sort of inspiration for the attraction at WDW. I was hoping to get some help on my project and maybe put it in this park and also in WDW's Magic Kingdom.
Well if you want you could put it in DKT if you want to even create a circus area but thats your choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom