Disneyland Australia, Open Brainstorming

I made this for my own Disney Park idea and think it would be cool to include it here. It includes zero screens and completely immerses you in the action. For the flying segments it is similar to Peter Pan, except with bigger sets that eventually get so big they are the real thing. And my park is called World of Adventure so that is why it says that at the end. It may not be descriptive enough, so if you have any questions, let me know. Enjoy your ride through of:

Dragon Mountain

In the dungeon, guests get in their carriages, feet dangling, and begin to float. they swoop slowly through the dungeon, blasting through a hole in the wall and over the forest. It is nighttime, and guests can see mountains and trees, and a burst of fire from a cave on the mountains indicates that is their destination. They sink into the magical forest, where moonlight seeps through the majestic trees. Fairies flutter around, unicorns roam, centaurs gallop through the trees. There are pegasi flapping their wings, a phoenix bursts into flames, There are ordinary creatures like butterflies, birds that sing, and foxes. Overall it is a beautiful and magical place. You break through to a sparkling river, where water spirits sing. Twin waterfalls cascade from the mountain, and guests enter the forest again. The woods get darker and scarier, no longer magical and mysterious. Bats fly overhead, spiders crawl around. Suddenly, guests come face to face with a giant spider! It rears back and begins to attack the riders, dripping venom. The riders dip under the spider and through the dark forest, before passing behind the waterfalls. Guests then travel through a dark cave where bones litter the ground. They ascend upwards, where a huge ogre is feeding on some horses. It notices the guests and takes a swipe at them, when the ground gives way and they drop right into the dragon’s den. Treasure is everywhere! However, the dragon is sleeping to the side and he wakes up, roaring and breathing fire at the guests. It’s mad and is continuing towards the guests as the guests start to tilt. The dragon gives a final roar before the guests are sent plummeting down through the caverns, twisting and turning, up and down, as they repeatedly pass the dragon. Eventually, they come to a dead end and the dragon breaks his head through the roof of the cave. It gives a spectacular fire burst before the riders burst through the wall with all of the steam and fog. They fly back to the castle as they hear the dragon roar in anger. Returning to the dungeon, the riders exit back into Worlds of Adventure.

I have a queue, but I haven't written it down yet.

mharrington

I apologize for jumping right into the middle of things here, but...

Mickey's Madcap Circus can be found in Post #36 on the link Jokers posted.

I would like to add in my Mickey's Mad House ride idea if at all possible, but renamed Mickey's Fun House and not a wild mouse coaster. I have some ideas for what to do, but it's only half-finished and I need some help with it. Here's what I have so far:

The concept is that Mickey has his own fun house for guests at this land. But Pete, no-good ruffian that he is, thinks it ruins his stint as a strongman. So he kidnaps Minnie Magnifique's Pirouetting Parisian Poodles and takes them into the fun house. Now Mickey has to get them back, and occasionally, he has help from Donald and Goofy. You first see Mickey introducing you to the fun house and you go through a pair of curtains into a cartoon world of old Mickey cartoons. You start out by seeing the boat from "Steamboat Willie". And from there, it goes through a variety of locations from similar cartoons. It starts off near a wharf with the boat ("Steamboat Willie") on it, but then it goes into several vignettes of Mickey shorts, such as a jungle ("Jungle Rhythm" and maybe "The Castaway"), a forest ("The Moose Hunt"), a dynamite blasting area ("The Delivery Boy") and a service station lot ("Mickey's Service Station"). The climax involves a whale ("The Whalers") an Pete getting literally hung out to dry, on the steamboat's loading hook. However, the boat is on a river, while whales are meant to live in the ocean.

Can anyone help me with ideas?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'm not sure, right now the story seems like what it needs is consistency. All that needs to be done is to work out the kinks and maybe take out the inclusion of Donald and Goofy, that might be a bit too much. I'm not sure what kind of ride system you're going for or what level of ticket the ride is.

Anyways, here's a rough list of scenes for Nature's Wonderland -

1. Rainbow Ridge
2. Beaver Valley
3. Cascade Peak
4. Battling Elk
5. Bear Country
6. Living Desert
7. Dry Gulch
8. Rainbow Caverns
9. The Ice Age
10. Rainbow Mountain

Obviously, the ride has a lot of differences from the Disneyland original. For starters, the ride, taking place mostly in the northernmost area of Frontierland and along the Rivers of the Frontier, starts off in the cutesy little mining town of Rainbow Ridge, named for the bountiful mines found within neighboring Rainbow Mountain, sister to the long-since abandoned Big Thunder Mountain. As expected, guests board a leisurely mine train for a trip through "Nature's Wonderland," narrated by a grizzled, old prospector. The journey begins in the luscious pine forests of Beaver Valley, where beavers work on their dam in the lake below. Throughout the journey, various wildlife specimens pop up along the way, including possums, raccoons, mule deer, moose, etc. Cascade Peak, the Battling Elk, Bear Country, and the Living Desert are all directly taken from the original, albeit slightly condensed in length to make room for the ride's spectacular finale...

After witnessing an eruption from "Old Unfaithful", the trains decide to make a rest stop in the remote outpost of Dry Gulch, but the idea is quickly shutdown when riders discover the town under siege by slightly rowdy cowboys and bandits, scenes taken directly from Western River Expedition. After nixing the idea of a rest stop, the trains head to the relative safety of the countryside, only to be held up by masked bandits and their masked horses, causing a detour into spectacular Rainbow Caverns, where phosphorescent pools and beautiful rock formations provide stunning scenery. But all is not safe, an earthquake rattles the whole place, opening up a mysterious passageway into a stunning new world - the world of the Ice Age, where mammoths, cavemen, saber-toothed cats, and other fantastic beasts roam the chilly North American tundra. Luckily, the trains make it out of the icy past and return to the hot future among the foliage of Rainbow Mountain, all the while passing by beautiful scenery and the fossils of Ice Age beasts.

mharrington

I'm not sure, right now the story seems like what it needs is consistency. All that needs to be done is to work out the kinks and maybe take out the inclusion of Donald and Goofy, that might be a bit too much. I'm not sure what kind of ride system you're going for or what level of ticket the ride is.

Well, it's a dark ride. I think it will be a trackless system. The ticket level is probably going to be a D. It was suggested that the best way to transition from one scene to another was through curtains, but I'm not really so sure. As I think I may have pointed out, this ride is a variation on the abandoned concept of Mickey's Mad House, thought of for the original Dumbo's Circusland back in the 1970s. But there is very little information to go on in regards of what the ride was thought of to be, beyond the following (from The Book of Mouse):

Using a traditional wild mouse coaster similar to the Primeval Whirl in Disney's Animal Kingdom, guests would careen madly back and forth, not able to see clearly where they were going, while they experienced the wild antics of early black-and-white Mickey Mouse cartoons.

And also a piece of concept art:
may721051SMALL.jpg

And that was it. I kept searching and Googling it, but I found nothing. Thus, I was pretty much left to do the ride from scratch. If it weren't for that slim little nothing of an abandoned concept, I would have, well, nothing.

One reason why I was trying to include Donald and Goofy is because during the ride, a tornado like in "The Band Concert" comes in and picks up everyone. Pete gets separated from the dogs and they are falling and Mickey can't get them all. Then Goofy comes in on a rocket, in his stint as The Great Goofini - Reckless Rocketeer. And at the end, Donald as a snake charmer tries to play a tune on his flute to charm Pete into surrendering.

But if Donald and Goofy are not there, how can Mickey save all the dogs himself? There's at least five dogs and only one of Mickey. I know what you're thinking, you the guest would be helping. But how? It would be difficult to have dogs appear in your seat, wouldn't it? Certainly not without inventing new technology. I'm not very inventive.

Plus, there really is no consistency in the cartoons, it's just one cartoon or another.

mharrington

I did a slight redo: you begin in the fun house with Mickey, but it gets interrupted by Pete declaring he has stolen some of Minnie's poodles used in her number at the circus. You go out into a black-and-white house resembling the house from "Mickey's Orphans" and go out the door to see the boat from "Steamboat Willie" escaping with Pete on board. You chase after it somehow as it steams into a jungle river. The jungle involves scenes from "Jungle Rhythm" and "The Castaway". You then somehow come across a sawmill in the middle of the jungle, the same one as in "The Dognapper". You then somehow transition to a service station from "Mickey's Service Station", where Pete tries to escape in his car, with the dogs in tow, but he doesn't watch where he's going and he crashes into the water, whereupon Mickey comes up in the steamboat and literally hangs Pete out to dry.

That's very barebones, but it gives you an idea. I'm also thinking of having you and Mickey save each of the dogs, one by one. Incidentally, there are five dogs, each with fancy names: Genevieve, Lorraine, Brigitte, Sophie and Lisette.

What do you think of that? Like I said, it's very rough at this juncture.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Well, I don't understand what you're going for, I'm picking up on a circus storyline with scenes from Mickey cartoons? I think you need to distinguish between one or the other. Do you want a dark ride through a bunch of cartoon scenes? Or do you want a dark ride with a consistent storyline? I don't think having the two put together would work all too well. If I were you, I'd pick one or the other. Personally, a dark ride with scenes from various shorts would work better in Toon Town. A dark ride set in the circus would work better in Dumbo's Circus.

mharrington

Well, I don't understand what you're going for, I'm picking up on a circus storyline with scenes from Mickey cartoons? I think you need to distinguish between one or the other. Do you want a dark ride through a bunch of cartoon scenes? Or do you want a dark ride with a consistent storyline? I don't think having the two put together would work all too well. If I were you, I'd pick one or the other. Personally, a dark ride with scenes from various shorts would work better in Toon Town. A dark ride set in the circus would work better in Dumbo's Circus.

The truth of the matter is, as I said before, the concept is based on Mickey's Mad House, which was going to be put in the never-built Dumbo's Circusland at Disneyland. And actually, I was using this thread as an opportunity to work this idea into WDW's Magic Kingdom's Storybook Circus. I had thought of this as a replacement for Mickey's Big Top Spin, which focuses on various circus acts of different characters. One of the things was, there seems to be too many characters in there. Here's the complete list of character scenes in that ride:

1. Minnie Magnifique and Her Pirouetting Parisian Poodles
2. Hyacinth Hippo: Ballerina of the Big Top (and Her Partner, Ben Ali Gator)
3. The Astounding Donaldo: Snake Charmer
4. Madame Daisy Fortuna
5. Strongman Pete: Lifter of All Things Heavy
6. Professor Von Drake and His Deep Sponge
7. Oswald the Lucky Magician
8. Pluto the Wonder Dog
9. The Three Little Piggolinis
10. The Great Goofini - Reckless Rocketeer

That seems to be an awful lot, don't you think? And those are just the main scenes.

So I tried to replace it with a version of Mickey's Mad House, but renamed "Mickey's Fun House". However, I, too, thought that the circus/cartoon shorts similarity was tenuous at best, and I even thought of putting it on Main Street instead, where they at least have a Main Street Cinema (albeit not a proper one) and a meet-n-greet with Mickey. It would have gone off the corner of Town Square. Perhaps the main theme could've been a new Main Street Cinema. The only problem is that there may not be a lot of room for this. Unless I'm mistaken, that's where they have delivery spots for the snack spots. And someone else, namely @IDInstitute, had agreed: it really would be too tight a squeeze, considering there is a lot of important stuff back there. I only thought of Main Street as an alternative because I was questioning how cartoon shorts can fit into a circus, even if it is in the context of a fun house (or madhouse, as was the original intention). At least the Main Street Cinema used to show old Disney cartoons, so that does make some slight sense. Then, since there was no more Toontown at WDW's Magic Kingdom, @IDInstitute suggested putting this cartoon shorts ride concept at the Studios instead, but I'm against it, because I personally feel that old cartoons like these are . Remember, this idea of mine was and still is intended for WDW. I'm using this thread as a sort of workaround. WDW no longer has a Toontown to put this ride in.

In any case, @IDInstitute did say that the concept of mine could fit at MK's Storybook Circus. But you are saying that it wouldn't work. You are saying no, but someone else is saying yes, so now I'm conflicted.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
If it's going in the circus areas, like you said it is, it needs to focus on more of a circus theme than the theme of multiple cartoons. You have to choose one or the other, you know? What we did with Madcap Circus at least was incorporate classic and little known characters from Silly Symphonies and Mickey shorts to create a huge three ring environment. If you're really set on including scenes from classic shorts, my suggestion is to completely nix the underlying circus storyline. It's too much having them side by side.

mharrington

If it's going in the circus areas, like you said it is, it needs to focus on more of a circus theme than the theme of multiple cartoons. You have to choose one or the other, you know? What we did with Madcap Circus at least was incorporate classic and little known characters from Silly Symphonies and Mickey shorts to create a huge three ring environment. If you're really set on including scenes from classic shorts, my suggestion is to completely nix the underlying circus storyline. It's too much having them side by side.

...Okay, I'm going to come right to the point. You're probably going to think I'm crazy and have very odd thinking due to this, but here it goes.

(takes breath)

The real reason I wanted to merge the circus environment with the cartoon shorts was because I wanted to include somewhere license plates themed to Disney things here and there, like in the queue for the Roger Rabbit ride (it was going to be in the "Mickey's Service Station" section):
atdl02r1_plates.jpg

atdl03r1_plates.jpg

I know it's supposed to be just a funny little detail, but I like to include details here and there. Before you tell me to just put that in this park's Toontown, as I probably should, I want you to know that I'm thinking in terms not of Disneyland Australia, but of WDW's Magic Kingdom, and there is no Toontown at WDW anymore. I'm simply using this thread as a means to another end. When I do these park threads, it's to improve the existing parks, not necessarily to create brand-new ones from scratch.

But now, I propose a compromise: if we can somehow include these license plates into your Madcap Circus ride, that could work. I don't care, I just want to do SOMETHING with these plates. The trouble is, I don't know what. It could be a motorcycle stunt, probably by Goofy, but at WDW's Magic Kingdom's Storybook Circus, Donald is already pretty much established as a snake charmer. Or maybe it could be a car stunt, again by Goofy. Maybe Donald could be a snake charmer here, but is upset that his stint is less than successful, especially when the snake charms HIM instead. He snaps out of it, and tries to do a better performance than what he does.

Anyway, those are my ideas for a compromise on this and satisfy us both.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Well, in Madcap Circus, there are clowns. If the queue is made to be as elaborate and epic as Roger Rabbit's queue, there could be a maintenance/storage garage for the clown cars including this wall of humorous license plates, a feature in which I also enjoy. Perhaps we can merge Madcap Circus and Mickey's Fun House into one concept? This is just a pitch, so nothing is certain.

I'm thinking we have it held within the confines of a Barnum Museum-type structure, a la Basket Buddy's concept art seen in the prior link to Madcap Circus. Inside, guests meander through an immersive queue past the dressing rooms of the various performers, a select few complete with appropriate sound effects coming from within.

3. The Astounding Donald: King of the Seals
4. Madame Daisy Fortuna
7. The Magnificent Roger & His Lovely Assistant, Jessica (Roger & Jessica Rabbit as magicians)
8. Pluto the Wonder Pup
9. The Flying Piggolinis
11. Mickey Mouse - Ringmaster
12. Horace Horsecollar - Lion Tamer
13. Clara Cluck - Pitch Perfect Prima Donna
14. The Reluctant Dragon: Fire Eater (door complete with scorch marks and smoke)

After the winding corridor of dressing rooms, guests meander through the maintenance garage for the big top's various vehicles, including a Herbie-like clown car, a traditional circus caravan, and a Toon Town-esque fire engine, complete with flat tires. The maintenance garage gives way to an empty wild animal menagerie. It seems as if all of the animals have escaped, as evident by the twisted bars, animal shaped wall bursts, and paw prints on the hay-covered floor. Finally, the menagerie gives way to the load area which advertises in poster form the various acts of the circus, including, but not limited to:

1. Lambert, the Sheepish Lion
2. Willie, the Opera Singing Whale
3. Shere Khan - Man-Eater
4. King Louie: Last of the Jungle Swingers
5. Humphrey the Bear - Picnic Thief Extraordinaire
6. Salty the Seal
7. Clarabelle Cow, Queen of the Tightrope (her poster parodies HM; she stands on a tightrope high above Tick-Tock Croc)
8. Oswald the Lucky Lion Bait
9. Gargantua, King of the Apes (the gorilla from "Donald's Gorilla")
10. Goliath II - The World's Smallest Elephant

Guests then board a trackless ride vehicle (a circus caravan) and depart for the mayhem of the circus. Ringmaster Mickey introduces the three ring circus, giving way into the first major ride scene - a free-for-all spin around the first act of the circus, featuring various acts and gags. At the end of this scene, Donald, readying his seals for the performance discovers that one of his seals (Salty) has disappeared. Ever furious, Donald embarks after Salty, taking riders with him on an even more madcap ride, including a trip through the stationed circus train (past wild animals and into the nutty clown car), a dangerous stint through the prop storage, and into the grand finale, where Ringmaster Mickey pulls an unexpected Donald into the grand finale - the Dunk Tank act. Salty activates the dunk tank, plunging the whole circus into an "underwater" finale. If we flesh out the ride itself we can really make a merge of the two concepts. What do you think?

mharrington

Well, in Madcap Circus, there are clowns. If the queue is made to be as elaborate and epic as Roger Rabbit's queue, there could be a maintenance/storage garage for the clown cars including this wall of humorous license plates, a feature in which I also enjoy. Perhaps we can merge Madcap Circus and Mickey's Fun House into one concept? This is just a pitch, so nothing is certain.

I'm thinking we have it held within the confines of a Barnum Museum-type structure, a la Basket Buddy's concept art seen in the prior link to Madcap Circus. Inside, guests meander through an immersive queue past the dressing rooms of the various performers, a select few complete with appropriate sound effects coming from within.

3. The Astounding Donald: King of the Seals
4. Madame Daisy Fortuna
7. The Magnificent Roger & His Lovely Assistant, Jessica (Roger & Jessica Rabbit as magicians)
8. Pluto the Wonder Pup
9. The Flying Piggolinis
11. Mickey Mouse - Ringmaster
12. Horace Horsecollar - Lion Tamer
13. Clara Cluck - Pitch Perfect Prima Donna
14. The Reluctant Dragon: Fire Eater (door complete with scorch marks and smoke)

After the winding corridor of dressing rooms, guests meander through the maintenance garage for the big top's various vehicles, including a Herbie-like clown car, a traditional circus caravan, and a Toon Town-esque fire engine, complete with flat tires. The maintenance garage gives way to an empty wild animal menagerie. It seems as if all of the animals have escaped, as evident by the twisted bars, animal shaped wall bursts, and paw prints on the hay-covered floor. Finally, the menagerie gives way to the load area which advertises in poster form the various acts of the circus, including, but not limited to:

1. Lambert, the Sheepish Lion
2. Willie, the Opera Singing Whale
3. Shere Khan - Man-Eater
4. King Louie: Last of the Jungle Swingers
5. Humphrey the Bear - Picnic Thief Extraordinaire
6. Salty the Seal
7. Clarabelle Cow, Queen of the Tightrope (her poster parodies HM; she stands on a tightrope high above Tick-Tock Croc)
8. Oswald the Lucky Lion Bait
9. Gargantua, King of the Apes (the gorilla from "Donald's Gorilla")
10. Goliath II - The World's Smallest Elephant

Guests then board a trackless ride vehicle (a circus caravan) and depart for the mayhem of the circus. Ringmaster Mickey introduces the three ring circus, giving way into the first major ride scene - a free-for-all spin around the first act of the circus, featuring various acts and gags. At the end of this scene, Donald, readying his seals for the performance discovers that one of his seals (Salty) has disappeared. Ever furious, Donald embarks after Salty, taking riders with him on an even more madcap ride, including a trip through the stationed circus train (past wild animals and into the nutty clown car), a dangerous stint through the prop storage, and into the grand finale, where Ringmaster Mickey pulls an unexpected Donald into the grand finale - the Dunk Tank act. Salty activates the dunk tank, plunging the whole circus into an "underwater" finale. If we flesh out the ride itself we can really make a merge of the two concepts. What do you think?

It looks fine, except that after I put up my concept for this ride for WDW, I became dissatisfied that there were so many separate scenes featuring these characters (in the first list, not necessarily the second). That was one reason why I had tried to abandon the ride in favor of the Fun House concept. You can do what you want with this ride in this park, but for Florida, I think I'm going to have to reduce the amount of characters featured, especially since I was thinking of putting this into the space that is currently occupied by the Tomorrowland Speedway.

I do like your idea of Donald trying to find Salty, however, and would like to use that for my take on the ride. But there's just one thing bothering me: in Florida's circus, Donald is a snake charmer, as seen in Pete's Silly Sideshow, which in my plan will be completely revised anyway and replace Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy as meet-n-greet characters with obscure ones. Any thoughts?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Well, the ride itself is like Pooh's Hunny Hunt. So there is room for a lot of characters. In each major show scene in trackless dark rides, the vehicles take their time, spinning around large show rooms and seeing various special effects and characters. I think we should use the layout of Mystic Manor as a format.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
This is more so something I was planning on using for my upcoming dream resort project, but this could work here, too. I know we had considered a river raft version of Jungle Cruise, but this is just an intensified traditional Jungle Cruise with new scenes, amazing special effects, and much, much more. Thoughts? I'm going to vastly change it for my dream resort, but I think it's in good shape for our Australian park.

Jungle River Cruise

Our adventure begins in the heart of Adventureland, a romanticized representation of the world's jungles and exotic locales as seen through the pulp-glossed eyes of Hollywood in the 1930's and 40's. With its weather worn British Colonial architecture, skulls jabbed on bamboo torches, and wide array of Polynesian masks, Adventureland is a true testament of a fantasy world that never was; a land of man-eating beasts, shrunken heads, and lost civilizations. An old boathouse scrapes the sky, two stories in height, worn by rain, and draped with vines. A faded mural rests near the entrance, depicting a tramp steamboat embarking down a jungle river, closely watched by a hungry python, spear-wielding natives, and a fierce bull elephant. An equally faded message rests at the foot of the mural: "JUNGLE NAVIGATION CO. DISCOVER THE MIGHTY AMAZON! THE ENDLESS NILE! THE BOLD CONGO! THE IRRITABLE IRRAWADDY! TOURS DEPARTING DAILY! *The Jungle Navigation Co. is not responsible for any fluid thefts linked to mosquitoes, leeches, or vampire bats.*" Inches above the entrance rests the shield of an African warrior, backed by a set of spears (with skulls jabbed on the ends) and topped by a grinning mask of Polynesian origin. "JUNGLE RIVER CRUISE" appears painted in crude red lettering across the shield, further complimented by a fishing net full of skulls and a broken birdcage in an alcove above the attraction's title card. Intrigued, we enter.

Inside, we find ourselves in a jungle-nautical museum of sorts, its walls packed with bizarre artifacts from around the jungle, ranging from a rusted anchor to hideous fish specimens. In the center of the museum's switchbacks is the fossil of a bizarre river monster - the Mokèlé-mbèmbé, a dinosaur-like beast said to have once lived along the Congo River in Africa. More weird fossils are featured in the museum, including Gargantua, the World's Largest Gorilla (literally, the skeleton is so tall, it hits the ceiling, causing it to slouch), Molly, the Midget Mammoth (a tiny elephant fossil), and a nod to Up, the Beast of Paradise Falls, aka the skeleton of a large prehistoric bird. Big band music of the 30's & 40's crackles throughout the queue, constantly interrupted by various radio broadcasts from the company's home office in England. Meandering out of the museum, we pass by the crew's breakroom which features nothing more than a chessboard with animal pieces, a battered radio, and a chalkboard displaying this week's lunch menu: "Fricasse of Giant Stag Beetle (taste a bit like chicken), Barbecued Three-Toed Skink (has a chickeny flavor), Consomme of River Basin Slug (poultry like), Filet of Rock Python (chicken-esque)," and for Friday... "CHICKEN (REALLY!!)." As we head upstairs, we pass beneath a squawking hornbill, glaring down at us from its perch in the rafters. On the second floor, we find the manager's office which has long since been abandoned. A note tacked to the door reads, "Couldn't handle the stress of the job. Went fishing. Be back in a couple weeks. - Arthur Stockingtoe, Manager." Another note is tacked to the former, reading "Attention, Skippers! Mr. Stockingtoe has disappeared. He was last seen near Cannibal Country. If you know any further details, please contact the Home Office immediately. Thank you." Upstairs, we catch our first glimpse of the jungles ahead, a stunning, almost unreal rainforest lined with murky waters, traversed by tramp steamers, and abundant with the sounds of wildlife. Across from the boathouse rests a small shack with a thatched roof and tribal designs, slightly elevated above the water. A dim light glows from within its single window, perhaps hinting at something amiss. On the nearby shoreline rest several grave markers composed of wooden planks and bits of rusted steel.

As we head downstairs, we loop around onto a rickety, wooden boat landing on the edge of a murky jungle river. Every so often, a tramp steamer pulls in and out of the load area, each piloted by a khaki-clad skipper, a seasoned jungle traveler with one or two good jokes left in them. A khaki-clad sailor helps us into our boat as we prepare for an unforgettable journey down the exotic rivers of the world. In the distance, two big cats engage in an unseen confrontation of claws and snarls. As the last few guests board our boat, the boat's motor gives a mighty roar as we set off into the luscious vegetation. Our skipper tells us to turn around and take one last look at the dock...we may never see it again... Throughout the journey, a lushly orchestrated soundtrack plays beneath the skipper's narration, providing a further sense of mystery and wonder.

Our true adventure begins along the banks of the Amazon, a luscious wonderland of nature's own design. A luscious, almost Dr. Seuss-like canopy stretches overhead, blooming with flowers and kissed by a refreshing, cool mist. An eerie flute rings out, providing a sense of mystery and the unknown. Nearby, a pair of giant butterflies rest atop a log, gently flapping their wings. A pair of toucans also appear, examing our boat's every move from their nest. A curious family of capybaras have emerged from the underbrush to greet our boat, two along the shore and one emerging from beneath the surface. As the canopy parts, we come across Inspiration Falls, a gorgeous series of waterfalls that, according to our skipper, inspire you to go...deeper into the jungle. An otherworldly hiss breaks the peace of the falls, giving way to a sight of pure fantasy; man-eating plants. In the underbrush, we find a crashed biplane, its skeletal pilot slumped over the controls. A trio of monstrous venus flytraps extend their vines towards the unfortunate aviator, hungry. The largest of the flytraps turns to our boat, sees us as "fresh meat," and gives a hiss, sparking the other traps to look our way. In an instant, a quarter of hungry flytraps emerge from the opposite underbrush, spitting "acid" (warm water) at us in an unreal ambush. Luckily, our skipper narrowly escapes the attack, taking us into Crocodile Parts, marked by the appearance of a chatty macaw perched atop a tree branch just inches above the surface. A pair of hungry crocs have the macaw surrounded on both sides, the exotic bird continuously insulting the reptiles. "SQUAWK! Hey, Ugly! SQUAWK! Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? SQUAWK! UGLY!" Up ahead is the shack of Jaguar Jake, a retired explorer-turned-fisherman who fishes from his front porch, smoking a pipe and reclining in his favorite rocking chair. His line sits cast in the water, continuously being tugged by an unknown source. Only his playful dog notices the bite, playfully wimpering and wagging its tail at whatever may be down there. Just a few feet from Jake is a rocky shoreline, littered with sleeping crocodiles. Old Smiley, the oldest crocodile in the river rests atop a large boulder, opening and closing his jaws for a handout. Without any warning, a mother croc and her young launch out from behind Smiley's roost, just barely missing the boat before disappearing beneath the surface.

Gunshots and explosions ring out as the Amazon bleeds into the Congo. Our skipper, wishing to make a stop at camp for supplies, is dismayed to discover much of his belongings have been thrown into the water. A huge explosion occurs, causing an unnatural geyser to erupt from the river. Up ahead, we find that the skipper's camp has been raided by a family of gorillas. Off the starboard bow is a jeep, still running but completely flipped, its tracks still fresh in the sand. A huge silverback examines himself in a mirror, trying on a pith helmet, having already put on a skirt and tie. A mother reclines in a hammock, swinging wildly back and forth, book in hand. Her baby hangs onto the hammock's ropes for dear life. A pair of juveniles have found the ammunition supply, one peering into the muzzle of a rifle, the other taking shots at the various explosives floating in the water. Another holds up the skipper's polka-dotted underwear giving excited grunts. Across the river, the skipper's pack mule and hunting dog angrily bray at the ape intruders. Down the river a bit, we come upon the Watering Hole where all the animals of the African Savannah gather for a drink in this oasis setting. Here we find an abundance of peaceful wildlife, including wildebeest, water buffalo, zebras, giraffes, antelope, and a lone cheetah, all gathered near the water's edge for relief from a referenced drought. The largest resident is an African bull elephant, just a few feet from our boat, who angrily cries out for her mate, upset by our intrusion. From out of nowhere, her mate, a much larger bull elephant emerges from the water, loudly roaring and sending our boat in the opposite direction...Big Game Territory.

A thick fog rolls in as our skipper describes to us the sheer danger of Big Game Territory. Instantly, we are greeted by the first of the big game - a swamp full of hippos. The massive water horses emerge from the mist, ready to charge the boat. Luckily, our skipper fires off warning shots to frigthen them, but alas to no avail - the shots have attracted the attention of a lioness pack on the prowl. The river narrows itself, a thick underbrush on all sides. We hear a lioness growl, accompanied by an eerie rustle in the bushes. As our boat moves along, the movement in the bushes increases. From the thicket leaps a snarling lioness, ready to pounce. Another lioness attacks, aggravated further when she barely misses us. As the river widens, we find that the lionesses have lured us into their grounds, having previously killed an unfortunate zebra. The fearsome male raises his head from behind the carcass, throws his head back and roars, a feasting lioness on either side. Nearby, a pair of juveniles play tug-o-war with a bone, while a male and female hiding behind a nearby thorn bush prod their heads up, zebra legs clamped in their jaws. Hungry vultures look on from the gnarly treetops. This scene acts as a reminder of the number one law of the jungle: "Don't be a zebra." Big Game Territory comes to an end as we come upon the infamous Lost Safari, where a clan of yelping hyenas humorously serve as spectators (joined by zebras and gazelle) to a massive rhinoceros who has run five travelers up the trunk of a dead tree. The angry rhino lunges forward with a raised horn, causing the safari to scream and rise upward. The second the rhino pulls back, the safari lowers their bottoms before repeating the process. The supposed drought becomes evident as the plantlife begins to fade away, slowly transitioning into a rocky, desert canyon of sorts. Mean-eyed wild dogs lurk along the rocky shore, hungrily gnawing on dry bones.

Tribal chanting and drums fill the air from beyond the canyon walls, whilst various wall paintings and primitive decor dot the shoreline. On the starboard side, a canoe full of human skulls floats in a small crevice, tribal masks and bamboo torches on the outcropping behind it. A masked witch doctor stands on the same outcropping, throwing various ingredients into a green fire. Shrunken heads hang from his outrageous costume...we've entered Cannibal Country, not a good placed to be...headed. Before us is a native village where the natives wildly dance about and chant, supposedly summoning the Rain Spirit to bring water to their land (despite the fact there's a perfectly good river right in front of them, our skipper remarks). Tribal musicians provide the drumming (and a horn) for the chanting, playing away in an alcove on the opposite side of the river. Not wishing to be noticed, our skipper quietly sneaks by. But alas, something goes terribly wrong; we've entered Ambush Canyon, where masked warriors violently attack. While a few simply menace us with spears, several shoot poison darts (hot air) at us, another attempting to drop a giant boulder on our boat! Luckily, their ambush proves unsuccessful and the rocky canyon gives way to an unlikely sight: the Egyptian Desert.

Huge sand dunes surround us from all sides, whilst ancient Egyptian ruins protrude from the sands. We're now on the Nile, the longest river in the world. The tops of the pyramids can be seen on the horizon while a statue of Anubis rests halfway submerged in the water. Mysterious Egyptian music fills the air. Lurking among the ruins are several cobras, viciously hissing and ready to attack. Hungry crocodiles emerge from deep below the surface, patientily waiting to attack. Our boat continues down the river, right towards the mouth of a flooded temple partially submerged in the river. Our skipper remarks that this temple was once the tomb of a great Pharaoh, but has now been turned into a shrine dedicated to the Rain Spirit, ruler of the Nile. Without an alternate route, our boat's headlights kick on and we enter the dark shrine.

Inside, we find that the mysterious music has gotten louder, providing a true sense of mystery. A wide array of gold and jewels overpopulate the dark shrine, paintings and hieroglyphics demonstrating the power of the Rain Spirit just barely visible in the dim lighting. A golden, King Tut-inspired sarcophagus rests to our right, halfway open but empty. The centerpiece of the temple is that of a large statue of the Rain Spirit, a being with the body of a woman and the head of a lioness dressed in ancient Egyptian garbs. Our skipper comments on the statue's origin, stating the belief in such spirits to be mere "hocus pocus." Of course, this angers the ACTUAL Rain Spirit. In an instant, the boat stalls and rain begins to fill the previously dry shrine (projection mapping). Thunder and lightning even strike in a stunning display of power. In seconds, the Rain Spirit's statue is overwhelmed with color, bringing her to life! She glares down at our foolish skipper. "Call me hocus pocus, shall you? Let's see what you make of hocus pocus!" With a strike of lightning, our boat continues, only to be stormed by the arrival of mummies, resurrected by the Rain Spirit. The hideous undead reach towards our boat, some even emerging from the water in a horrific sequence. Luckily, we escape, but aren't out of danger yet. The Rain Spirit gives a wicked cackle, signaling a cave-in on her shrine. The shadow of falling rocks can be seen on the walls while the walls themself begin to vibrate and quake. Long lost pillars and ruins emerge from beneath the surface; the ceiling begins to lower; fire erupts from the water's edge; and most horrific of all - a giant king cobra appears, hissing and launching at our boat. Luckily, the great snake misses, allowing us escape into the relative safety of India, but not before perilously sailing through a thick cloud of steam.

Egypt well behind us (so well behind us in fact, the temple we've exited appears to be a simple cave now), we drift into the steamy jungles of India where we come upon the Sacred Bathing Pool of the Indian Elephants, a delightful contrast to the horrors of the Rain Spirit. Here, playful elephants play in the water, squirting one another (one squirting a docile crocodile), showering in waterfalls, and munching on the nearby foliage. Giant spiders signal the entrance to a Cambodian Shrine, built by ancient Cambodian Shrine-ers. In these ruins (a grey contrast to the yellow Egyptian ruins), we find ourselves up close and personal with a fearsome Bengal tiger, so close to our boat, it seems as if she could jump in at any moment! Luckily for us, she's too distracted by her cubs who playfully teeter-toter back and forth on a large ruby embedded in a pedestal shaped like a monkey, lovingly referred to by our skipper as Bob, the Monkey King. On an overhead branch, a massive python probes its tongue at us, providing a strange amount of relief in contrast to the huge cobra seen earlier. Near the end of the ruins, a flappy-faced orangutan appears on a rocky outcropping, one arm holding onto the rock, the other onto a stick which he swipes at a hungry crocodile snapping at him. Why for? A nearby bunch of bananas are floating near the croc's maw.

As our journey comes to a close, we have one last person to meet before we leave - Trader Sam and his pet Ellie, a baby Indian elephant. Sam, a mask-wearing man of unknown origin (his whole body is covered in tribal garbs) offers us a special sale on his collection of shrunken heads - two of his heads for just one of ours. Countless goods ranging from painted skulls to fresh fruit surround Sam, while Ellie, taken with a cold sprays us with what I sure hope is water. Across the river, a female orangutan, baby on her back closely admire Sam's goods, particularly the large basket of bananas near the water's edge.

And with that, our skipper makes a few last remarks, swiftly bringing us back to the load area, unharmed, although a bit frazzled, for who would ever believe what adventure we experienced today on the world famous Jungle River Cruise?

1. Boathouse
- Nautical Museum
- Break Room
- Manager's Office
- River Launch
2. The Amazon
- Jungle Canopy
- Giant Butterflies, Toucans, & Capybaras
- Inspiration Falls
- Crashed Biplane & Man-Eating Plant Attack
- Crocodile Parts
3. The Congo
- Safari Camp
- Watering Hole
4. Big Game Territory
- Hippo Swamp
- Lioness Hunt
- Feasting Lions
- Lost Safari
5. Cannibal Country
- Headhunter Village
- Ambush Canyon
6. The Nile
- Egyptian Ruins
- Temple of the Rain Spirit
7. Asian Rainforest
- Sacred Bathing Pool of the Indian Elephants
- Cambodian Shrine & Tiger Family
- Orangutan vs Crocodile
8. Trader Sam's Outpost

Ride Length: 12 minutes, 30 seconds
Opening Day Attraction: Yes
Fast Pass: No
Holiday Overlay: Yes
Animatronic & Simple Mechanic Figure Count: 130

Thoughts?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
And for good measure, here's a condensed list as to what will happen with the Jingle River Cruise.

1. Boathouse: Completely decorated, inside and out, right down to a change in the crew's lunch menu. Christmas music of the 30's and 40's replaces the normal big band music while radio broadcasts related to the holidays replace the usual broadcasts. Frequent broadcasts claiming that a plane carrying holiday supplies intended for the Jungle Navigation Co. has crashed somewhere in the Amazon and that skippers are advised to look for salvageable items along the water's edge. Broadcasts also warn of a freak blizzard due to come in from Mt. Kilimanjaro in the near future. Every boat is given a holiday name and all skippers wear leopard print Santa hats. A Christmas themed soundtrack replaces the usual soundtrack.

2. The Amazon: The usual canopy has been draped in wrapping paper and ribbons fallen from the missing plane. The capybaras appear entangled in ribbons and bows. An overturned shipment crate sits at the top of Inspiration Falls, labeled "Wrapping Paper." The crashed biplane has been redecorated as the missing shipment plane, its skeletal pilot now dressed as (this is kinda grim) a mall Santa, complete with a fake beard draped around his chin, perhaps a subtle nod to Jack Skellington. A large banner reading "HO! HO! HO!" hangs on the side of the plane. The man-eating plants remain but are joined by broken poinsettia arrangements. Jaguar Jake's Shack is covered with lights and features a miniature palm tree decorated like a Christmas Tree. The crocodiles remain unchanged.

3. The Congo: The gorillas have found the skipper's secret stash of presents and have...well, they've opened them, discovering that most of the presents contained ugly sweaters which they proudly wear. The silverback trying on the pith helmet now tries on a Santa hat, while the gun wielding apes now wield a teddy bear (the one firing at the boats) and a brightly painted pop-gun (the one looking into the muzzle). The jeep has a wreath on the grill. The pack mule wears fake antlers. The Watering Hole is unchanged. However, a radio broadcast alerts the skipper of the freak blizzard's impending arrival, claiming it to be hitting Egypt at any minute.

4. Big Game Territory: A shipment of fruitcakes have fallen into the Hippo Swamp, greatly upsetting them. The rotten cakes float about, one even being caught in a hippo's mouth. Plastic, LED-lit lawn decorations have fallen into the lioness hunt area, ranging from snowmen to tin soldiers to Santa himself. The plastic reindeer have fallen near the feasting lions, replacing the zebra carcass and bones, as in the lionesses fight over a plastic reindeer, the lions feast on a plastic Rudolph, and the male and female pop up from behind the bushes, the male with a reindeer's head in his mouth and the female with the remainder of its body in hers. The Lost Safari's beach is littered with crates labeled "Tree Decorations", the dead tree stump adorned with large strands of garland. The rhino's horn has large star on it which is just centimeters from poking the low man on the pole. The wild dogs eat candy canes.

5. Cannibal Country: Countless lights connected to a washed ashore generator decorate the canyon, while a radio, also connected to the generator provides Christmas carols for the natives to dance to. The natives themselves have also found a shipment of ugly sweaters, respectively wearing them. In Ambush Canyon, also decorated with lights, the attacking warriors have obtained more fruitcake from the missing shipment, angering them (fruitcakes are jabbed on their spears). The usual attack ensues with little to no changes, other than the warrior trying to drop the boulder is now trying to drop a large sack full of presents. An interrupting broadcast claims that the blizzard has hit Egypt.

6. The Nile: The usual sand dunes have been replaced by piles of fresh snow. The distant pyramids appear capped with snow. The crocodiles and cobras have since been taken out, replaced by various snowmen resembling Egyptian icons, such as the Sphinx, the Pyramids, Anubis, King Tut's Sarcophagus, and one subtle nod to Olaf, etc. The Rain Spirit's Temple boasts icicles (that illuminate at night) and a snowy rooftop, not to mention a snow-covered shipment crate (a very large one) reading: "LIVE POLAR BEARS - CAUTION!" Inside the temple, almost all of the normal effects and scenery are gone, completely replaced (or covered up) by beautiful ice walls, giant icicles, and a beautiful underscore. The statue of the Rain Spirit appears covered in frost. The normal projection mapping effects are swapped out, making a glossy encasement of ice slowly creep up the statue, completely encasing it in ice before cracking. The mummies are gone. In their place (well, technically, the animatronic mummies are still underwater, just not turned on) are the aforementioned polar bears, gleefully playing in their natural habitat in the typical Marc Davis-style. One spins around on its butt, while the other rubs its back on an Anubis statue. The cave-in sequence is replaced by a beautiful snow melting special effect accomplished by what else but projection mapping and actual water droplets.

7. Asian Rainforest: With the winter wonderland behind them, boats enter the ride's Asian finale, where the Indian Elephants have broken into the crates full of wreathes and garland, appropriately wearing them. The tiger chews on one of the leopard print Santa hats while the rest of the ruins are full of various holiday (including Hanukkah and Kwanzaa) blankets and clothing patterns. The orangutan versus the crocodile segment puts a Santa hat on the orangutan and a box full of candy canes in place of the bananas. Trader Sam now wears a top hat and is having a New Years sale, selling champagne in place of shrunken heads and fruit. An unseen bubble machine provides bubbles. Ellie is dressed as Baby New Year and blows into a party horn instead of spraying guests. The mother orangutan across the way has a stocking over her face, her baby remains unchanged.

Twilight_Roxas

Lets see Jingle Cruise, Winter Dreams if MEW wants a holiday version like WoC: WD, and Disney Dreams of Christmas, and Haunted Mansion Holidays if that happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom