1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Disneyland and D23 Expo 2017 Completed

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Reports' started by ajrwdwgirl, Aug 21, 2017.

1. ajrwdwgirl

ajrwdwgirl Well-Known Member Original Poster

Once we got to DCA and went in search of food. We didn't want to go to Flo's because we had just eaten there. We thought about the Carthay Lounge but there was a line to get in and we were hungry bears. So Brad suggested going over to Smoke Jumpers Grill by Soarin, and I wasn't too thrilled about it but it was close and I was hungry. Did I mention we were hungry? There are mostly burgers on the menu, so I told Brad what I wanted and I went in search of the reference to the Parent Trap (the original with Haley Mills) that I'd heard was put in during the refurb. Parent Trap is one of my favorite movies, I drove my poor mother crazy one summer because I watched it at least once a day every day.

Found it!
    IMG_2725.JPG

We went outside with our food. The weather was perfect and there was a nice view from the table. We could also hear a little of the Five and Dime performance from the Carthay Circle area.
    IMG_2730.JPG

We both got bacon cheeseburgers and I don't know if we were just hungry or what but these were actually really good. Everything was freshly cooked and the burger had good flavor.
    IMG_2728.JPG
    Then we did some stuff in Carsland.
    IMG_2731.JPG

And got a treat at the Cozy Cone. The ice cream line took forever, there was only one cast member in the booth and it was just really inefficient given the amount of people that lined up for ice cream.
    IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

Finally we got our chocolate dipped twist cone and found a bench to enjoy it.
    IMG_2741.JPG

We were going to do Guardians and the line was 60 minutes but we were starting to feel really wiped out and we had another exciting day planned for tomorrow. So just a couple of pictures and then we headed out for the night.
    IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2749.JPG

Coming up soon: July 17th is Disneyland's birthday and what will Amy & Brad do with no Expo!?!

2. MinnieM123

MinnieM123 Well-Known Member

So much to comment about here in yesterday's update, but I'm a bit pressed for time as I'm getting ready for work here this morning. Ugh! Anyway, a few below--

Perhaps the photo says it all, but it doesn't exactly appear as though they went out of their way to make their D23 guests comfortable, while waiting. :rolleyes: :banghead:

My gosh, what a photo of superstars! You were so lucky to have experienced this panel. You never know if this group will ever get together again.

figmentfan423 likes this.
  3. ajrwdwgirl

No that hall e area isn't known for comfort. The day we waited on the second floor felt like luxury compared the that basement area.

And if you have more comments please share. Did you see the Minnie dresses?

I won't be able to update again for a couple days but I will be able to check for any other comments.

figmentfan423 and MinnieM123 like this.
  4. rshell68

rshell68 Well-Known Member

Thank you so so much for sharing your trip with us. I would have been a blubbering mess to even be in the same room as Marty Sklar and Richard Sherman.

5. Songbird76

Songbird76 Well-Known Member

OMG the detail on that Cinderella picture!!! Wow. That is gorgeous!!

6. Songbird76

I love that table!
    So, in the picture with you with the Belle doll thing...on the left, there's a group of people standing there, and a guy in a red shirt...is he wearing mickey ears, or are those just really coincidentally placed eyes from the robot thing on the wall in back of them?

7. Songbird76

I LOVE the original Parent Trap. DD and I actually JUST watched it on Sunday while we were making our Minnie ears! She had started watching the newer one with LL:hungover: and I told her I loved the older one. She went to Netflix and they had it, but I think it's temporary. She said it was only there until like Sept. 12th or so. No idea if it's on the American Netflix, but if you have Netflix and want to get your fix, you can check. Sadly, they did NOT have the original Freaky Friday.

8. PacNWTigger

PacNWTigger Well-Known Member

Wow!! You guys were super busy with D23 stuff! So jealous you got to see Baxter, Sklar and Sherman! I don't think Steve would be able to handle all of the waiting at something like that. I would be stuck waiting in line while he was meandering around...LOL! I'm glad you guys had such a great time. It looks like we will be going to DLR in a couple of weeks for a last minute trip before Kricket has her puppies. :D I'm totally excited about the trip...and the puppies. :joyfull:

9. MinnieM123

MinnieM123 Well-Known Member

Oh, there is so much more to comment on!! Here's a few:

What a wonderful experience to see that presentation, knowing that the presenter knew Marc Davis, before Marc passed away. I love this particular slide with the wording and pictures--simple, nostagic. It really made me pause and appreciate . . .

Well, it goes without saying that I'd LOVE the Minnie costumes!!! :joyfull: Those were so fun and cute!!

Now, my favorite costume here in the grouping with Cinderella, etc., was the red, Cruella DeVille gown. This si creatively designed and has the "wow" factor--perfectly in sync with the villan's character. I really like over-the-top styling for movies, etc. It's just fun, and a great escape from daily reality, you know?! :happy:

figmentfan423 and ajrwdwgirl like this.
  10. ajrwdwgirl

Good eye on the picture. It looks like he was not wearing Mickey Ears, just a lucky coincidence with the stuff that was on the wall.

The original Parent Trap is on Netflix here. I own a DVD copy of the original (and it also came with the Parent Trap II as well). I have no interest in owning the LL version of Parent Trap but occasionally when it is on tv here I get sucked into it.

As for Freaky Friday it is going to be on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) here in a week or so as part of the Disney Vault they do 4 times a year. Swiss Family Robinsion will also be shown. But I'm betting you don't get TCM over there.

11. ajrwdwgirl

You are welcome. Sometimes when I think about it, like when I was typing I still got a little misty.

12. ajrwdwgirl

So awesome you will be able to get a quick Disneyland trip in and in the fall. I'd like to see the Halloween stuff out there. Weren't you thinking of doing a solo trip sometime too? Or am I making stuff up? So cool that Kricket will be having pups. Share some pictures of them when they come!

13. ajrwdwgirl

Great insight, as usual. I agree the Cruella dress is really WOW.

MinnieM123 and figmentfan423 like this.
  14. PacNWTigger

PacNWTigger Well-Known Member

I'll be sure to share some holiday pics with you guys. I think we're only doing two days at the park, and I think we're going to rent a car and just drive for a day since Steve grew up down there.

I will be sure to send some puppy pics to you as well. Kricket is pretty cranky right now, but she's handling everything like a champ.

15. Songbird76

Nope, no TCM, and our Netflix has different stuff, too. When I was in the US in April/May, I could watch Longmire and DD could watch Girl Meets World. When we got back, those were gone, as they had been before we went to the US. I loved Parent Trap II as well..I watched it so many times my mom and brother got tired of it. My brother started hiding movies he didn't want to watch, like The Boy Who Could Fly and Flight of the Navigator. I wonder if Netflix has those....probably not.

figmentfan423 likes this.
  16. Tuvalu

Tuvalu Premium Member

You had me at John Stamos.

17. ajrwdwgirl

Sounds good, I'll be looking forward to pictures!

PacNWTigger and MinnieM123 like this.
  18. ajrwdwgirl

I know, isn't he dreamy? Here's a story for you...in college one of my housemates had a Full House poster and of course it had a very handsome John Stamos featured right in the middle. So the poster took its place of honor in our living room and we would often pose in front of the poster after a few glasses of "juice" and before we went out for more "juice". We have have a lot of incriminating photos of us and Uncle Jesse, and not I'm not sharing those!:)

19. ajrwdwgirl

Monday July 17: Happy Birthday Disneyland!!

No waking up at 4 am for us this morning, although we did get up at 6 am to get ready for another big day. Today we were taking part in a Disneyland Scavenger Hunt sponsored by a podcast that I listen to. We were meeting around 7:30am for breakfast at the ESPN Zone and a briefing of the rules of the contest. Breakfast was pretty good and on of our table mates from the Double Dip Cruise we took this past June was a part of of the scavenger hunt as well. It was nice to see her again, she had gone to D23 too but we hadn't been able to meet up before this. She had done the Sorcerer package for the D23 Expo (about $2000 for the ticket with perks like guaranteed seats, a special entrance with no lines, early shopping and other stuff), so it was interesting to hear about her experience.

Ready to Scavenge!
    IMG_2753.JPG

D23EXPO2017 125.JPG
    The scavenger hunt had 250 questions covering all the lands of Disneyland. I think we ended up completing about 240 of them, some we had to take a guess on because we never made it into Critter Country or Tomorrowland by the time we had to return our packets at 3pm back at the ESPN. The 1st place prize was a 3 night trip to the winners choice of either WDW or Disneyland. We are a little compettitive so Brad kept reminding me it was for fun too. And we did have fun.

A lot of the questions were asked about Main Street so we spent a little time right away on MS but there were a lot of Toontown questions too. So after about 15minutes on Main Street we headed to Toontown before it got busy because we had to go into Mickey and Minnie's house.

So I didn't end up taking many pictures during the hunt but here are a few.
    IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneyland_Park_8072346157.JPG

As we got going, I kind of realized that we probably weren't going to come in first and by talking to some teams at breakfast we realized how many were locals. We have been to Disneyland a lot in the last few years but I realized we wouldn't have their depth of knowledge. Even our table mate was a local and had worked at Disneyland at the Emporium. So around noon there was going to be a special presentation for a few minutes to wish Disneyland Happy Birthday. We didn't camp out be we attended while still searching for answers. I don't regret it at all, it was really special to hear Walt Disney's opening speech being played in Town Square as I stood below his Firehouse apartment. I could close my eyes and imagine he was there. After that characters came out and we continued our hunt.

Here was the birthday celebration
    IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG
    We didn't really take any breaks and by the time we turned in our packet at 2:55pm (5 minutes to spare) we were ready to sit and get some food while we waited for results.

20. ajrwdwgirl

We were famished and I suppose we could have eaten at ESPN but I had wanted to eat at the Jazz Kitchen for awhile and that was nearby so we walked over there. There were some open tables at the bar so we sat in that area. Once we sat down we realized the time and that we had a Fantasmic dining package at the Blue Bayou in a couple hours. So even though we were hungry we just went for an appetizer and a couple drinks. We had also found out that the winners of the scavenger hunt were going to be announced while we were supposed to be eating our Blue Bayou dinner. So we weren't going to be present for the crowning of the winners. Luckily our friend from the cruise said that she would text us our results.

While we enjoyed our drinks we talked about the scavenger hunt and even though we knew we wouldn't win we still had a lot of fun doing the hunt. It gave us a unique day at Disneyland.

At the Jazz Kitchen. By the way, Brad teased me for wearing a WDW 45th Anniversary shirt on Disneyland's birthday.
    IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

We got the Boudin balls, which was basically pork and fried rice balls. They were delicious and very flavorful. This little taste of what the restaurant had to offer left me wanting more. The people next to us had some really good looking meals!
    IMG_2771.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG

We went back over to Disneyland to enjoy the rest of the night and see the new version of Fantasmic! But first HAPPY BIRTHDAY DISNEYLAND!!!:D
    PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneyland_Park_8072485522.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneyland_Park_8072496834.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG