'Disneyland Adventures' for XBox Kinect

ssymes

Disney should write me a check for this... I asked for this back in Feb '09! :wave:
http://www.mousebits.com/smf/index.php?topic=4031.0

For those of you who can't see that link, I'm (partially) joking... but I've wanted this for a while now (see link below). Except, I have to admit, my idea would have been a lot cooler:
LOpDV.jpg

I thought it would be great to actually re-create various Disney parks based on different eras. For example, WDW in its first 20 years as pictured in my mockups below. Likewise, this experience would not be billed as a game necessarily -- but rather an interactive experience.

The real bummer with the Kinect Disneyland (to me anyways) is that all the rides are represented as casual mini-games and not the actual ride experience you get in the parks. I think inclusion of these games is a perfectly fine idea, but I would even more so like to see full ride-thrus completely redone with the game engine allowing users to look around and move as if they were really on said attraction. To see what I mean, look at this work-in-progress Horizons restoration: http://horizonsresurrected.com/2011/05/28/simulation-version-7/

This would allow Disney to give us the chance to once again revisit now extinct attractions in a format that now allows for near photorealistic graphics. The potential for add-on packs would be huge. Like the parks themselves, the opportunity to plus things up and expand over time would exist -- opening of course many new revenue streams for Disney along the way. I'm sure Disney will have this in some form with Kinect Disneyland, but it just seems like they only went halfway on this one when they could have delivered something really special and groundbreaking instead.

I also had a similar idea to this. I think that would be really cool. One of the things I had pondered was allowing for time-of-day, as well as weather effects. I also, like the idea of the parks in various time periods as you have on the mock game cover.

ssymes

I purchased the Disneyland Kinect Adventures game for my kids. :animwink: So far we really like the game a lot. They nailed the sights and sounds of the park. The mini games are actually a lot of fun, and some are quite lengthy (but not boring). There is a ton of content for a game like this. I definitely feel that the game is a steal at $50. I think they could have charged more.

There are a some missed opportunities though...

1. You can only travel through the park during the day. With the exception of the nighttime fireworks mini-game. I would have loved to see a day night cycle. Seeing the park at night would be :sohappy:

2. Where is the monorail ride? I am hoping that it is a secret ride that you can unlock. :)

3. You can only pass through Sleeping Beauties Castle. They should have included the walk-through section.

4. Also, I wish they would have included the option to either ride the actual ride, or play the mini-game version. Although I understand why they didn't, since there would be no reason to actually go the park if you could do that.

5. And last, I wish they would have let you travel further into some of the ride cues. Before entering the portals.

Having said all that, the lack of the things mentioned does not detract from the game at all. Here is hoping for California expansion. Maybe even a WDW version with MK, AK, DHS, and Epcot! Possibly a Tokyo, or Paris expansion.

Communicore

So this game didn't have certain rides like Indiana Jones and Star Tours, but what I was looking for are Fastpasses and photo passes!

if only they can make a game and call it EPCOT Center '89....anyway Epcot theme park would be nice but probably sans alcohol, heh heh, so it's not gonna be as "accurate."

Maybe they should make a Tokyo DisneySea next.

Cmdr_Crimson

Funny story. I had to chance to test the game at the D23 expo and was impressed by the gameplay but, the thing I really wanted to do is walkaround the park......The girl was looking at me strangely whilst I was doing this and asked me why I haven't picked a mini game to play..My answer was simple...I wanted to see how true the layout of the park was and as I got to the tommorowland area of the game it played the loop of the area and most of the attractions were there including the unopened peoplemover..They nailed it pretty good..Too bad I don't have it though.

Twilight_Roxas

so far 4 games based off disney theme parks were made.

Adventures in the magic kingdom for the nes by capcom.
that one racing disney game set in the magic kingdom.
Disney's Epic Mickey for the wii
disneyland adventures

erasure fan1

In the last commercial for this game that I saw it said explore the magic kingdom. Im glad they they pay attention to the little details.

jjnshane

Bought this game for my daughter for Christmas. She is 10 and a huge Disney fan and we both agree that this game is incredibly fun and addictive! The only reason she stops playing is because of sore muscles from playing some of the mini games (the Yeti snowball fight kind of kicked her butt!) :ROFLOL:

While many of the rides are ride themed mini games, there are some rides that you can just "ride." The Carousel and The Mad Tea Party are two that my daughter discovered. It is pretty much just a cut scene from your point of view as you go around the ride. No interaction, and probably not as much fun as the mini game, but still pretty neat from my daughters perspective.

I am thrilled and amazed by the detail in the game -- not only the detail in the building facades but the littler details that could have been left out like lighting fixtures, water fountains, trash cans are all there (and some you interact with throughout the games). But my favorite part of the game are the ambient sounds you hear while runing around the park. The music that you would hear in different areas of the park is all there and is such an amazing touch. And as you play, pay attention to the conversations the random guests have as well as the things the characters say when you are not actually interacting with them. Some of the things overheard are so funny that I have started writing them down! :lol:

The game play controls are a little difficult and my daughter gets frustrated with it after a while (I know that is when it is time for a break!). Although it is fun to watch your character run through the park and all the NPCs magically move out of your way, sometimes you get stuck in a corner or the camera angle makes the play a bit disoriented as to which direction they are heading in the park.

Overall I have to say we love this game. It is a great family game, wonderfully interactive and a great way to get players up and moving.

disneyjes

We've never been to Disney before but we have always wanted to. (Yay for planning our trip for this fall!!!) So when I saw that this game came out, we got our son Kinect and Disneyland Adventures for Christmas. We LOVE it! There are a few glitches here and there, but for those who are not able to go or for those who want to have some Disney magic every day -I think it's fabulous. My son says he is going to practice going to Disney on the game, lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom