Disneyland 60th Anniversary Special

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date

Stevek

Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a SW version of the Beauty and The Beast dining experience at The MK.
Sounds like there were two things going in. One nicer dining experience, which I expected to be our WC version of Be Our Guest, but there was also the Cantina which I expected to be a completely different experience...more like a bar or quick service? Time will tell what we actually get.

mickEblu

The current plan is for Star Tours to close when SWL opens. It's a safe assumption right now to expect a retooled Iron Man Experience to replace it, although I hope those plans are reconsidered and Marvel is kept to just DCA. Still a bit of a way off, and there's usually some kind of exclusivity agreement on all new HKDL attractions.

Hoping for something other than Iron Man/ Marvel for TL too. I'm just bored of all those IPs. They ve all blended into one movie to me with the exception of GOTG. I'm also not into 45 minute action scenes, so that could be it.

mickEblu

Why does it bother me that Hollywood Studios' SWL will include 3 rides and have the only Star Tours in the States? And this is coming from someone who rarely rides Star Tours. It's not even in my top ten at DLR.

I have a good felling our (DLRs) SWL will be more beautiful though based on the surroundings they are trying to blend with.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

It depends how it turns out. Either one could be considered superior to the other, maybe only in certain ways, or they could turn out basically the same. If they were smart and did things like back in the day, both resorts would have unique things that made it worthwhile to visit both.

D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
Why does it bother me that Hollywood Studios' SWL will include 3 rides and have the only Star Tours in the States? And this is coming from someone who rarely rides Star Tours. It's not even in my top ten at DLR.

Count me among those who thinks it would be weird to not move Star Tours to SW Land. The attraction is iconic, is still very popular and has stood the test of time very well. In my mind a Star Wars area at DL of any kind would seem incomplete without it.

gsrjedi

I think it'll stink if Star Tours goes to Yesterland. I love the idea of them being able to update it with new content (especially since they're making so many new movies now). I could take some solace from that fact if the opening of SWLand moves people to that side of the park and Disney finally takes the time and money to redo Tomorrowland.

As for the original topic. I kind of enjoyed the special. I didn't know about the announcers being a couple, but while the other stuff in the Josh Gad segment was old info; I would've liked to see more of that. When it was announced I was excited for a special on Disneyland, as I started to hear about all the performers I began to doubt what we'd be getting. So I guess going in, my expectations were dampened.

mickEblu

I think they could make it work. They re making it work for Hollywood Studios. I think they re less worried about it fitting in thematically and more worried about spending the money to move a 30 year old attraction that I guess may be redundant after the new Star Wars rides open. That remains to be seen. It's totally plausible that a good majority of folks may enjoy Star Tours more than one or both of the new rides. As you know, New isn't always better.

** after the newness wears off of course. I'm talking long term here.

Curious Constance

I enjoyed the special but did anyone else have trouble with the Disney Applause app? We downloaded it on two of our iPhones (and kept deleting/re-downloading) and it never worked! We were so disappointed - we really wanted to see what it was going to do. A cool concept but a huge failure.
I didn't try it, but I read that Disney had a message up at some point the next day, I think, that said they had technical difficulty with it.

gsrjedi

I'm just saying I'll be sad to see if leave. It doesn't necessarily have to make a lot of sense. Would two simulator style rides work? I don't know until I know more about how the Falcon ride is. If they're different enough keep 'em both. Seems to work for Universal.

Curious Constance

I'm just saying I'll be sad to see if leave. It doesn't necessarily have to make a lot of sense. Would two simulator style rides work? I don't know until I know more about how the Falcon ride is. If they're different enough keep 'em both. Seems to work for Universal.
I'll be sad to see it leave too. It's definitely one of my family's favorites. Of course we don't know all the facts, but if it works having it along side the new in Millennium Falcoln ride in WDW, then the rides must be different enough.

BubbaQuest

But will the Cantina serve alcohol...million dollar question. They eventually let it into the MK, could see them breaking ranks and doing the same out here.

I was wondering the same thing too. The concept definitely *looked* like a bar. If I remember correctly Disney now has a park wide alcohol license. Previously it was only a restaurant w/alcohol license attached to Club 33.

But if they start serving alcohol in DL, DCA attendance is going to tank ;)

Djali999

It depends how it turns out. Either one could be considered superior to the other, maybe only in certain ways, or they could turn out basically the same. If they were smart and did things like back in the day, both resorts would have unique things that made it worthwhile to visit both.

The FL SWL doesn't even have a separate design team. They should be, in most details, pretty much identical. DL is probably going to have much nicer entry and exit areas to and from the land.

And I wouldn't put my money on Star Tours staying around in Florida, either. It's far less popular than it is at Disneyland, and its going to look pretty archaic when the Falcon thing opens. Star Wars is going back behind the existing Muppets area which we now know for sure is staying. If they kept Star Tours, it would be sitting back by itself all alone. I'd expect them to take down Star Tours, Backlot Express, and Indy Stunt Show once Star Wars Land comes online and redevelop that part of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom