Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

HenryMystic

At this rate, I think Iger could be gone first (no, those balloon tests didn't convince me of anything other than Disney was doing some height tests ... like they do all the time!)

But Mystic Point will be a HKDL exclusive. I'm betting it stays that way. While Mystic Manor is a new 'take' on the Mansion, that is what it is. We already have a great version of that one. It also would be as bad a fit at DAK as Avatar.
I sure hope so.

I think it could be made to fit that corner of the park nicely with a few modifications (obviously a land with fantastical creatures). And then replace Rainforest with the Adventurers Club (awaits the collective groan of everyone.) But I'm just a bitter AC fan who is jealous of HKDL's shiny, semi-stolen toys.

Brewmaster

let's not forget that the average WDW guest looks like one of those folks on those hover-seats.

With NextGen on the horizon you've got a self-fulfilling prophecy. An attraction that consists of omnimovers, an iPad and an empty warehouse. That's Entertainment!

Seriously, if an attraction was done as well as The Incredibles was as a film I think that could be a real winner.

I've always really wanted to LOVE the studios, but I could never get past the friend stage. Maybe this park will get some much needed attention after all

Brewmaster

I sure hope so.

I think it could be made to fit that corner of the park nicely with a few modifications (obviously a land with fantastical creatures). And then replace Rainforest with the Adventurers Club (awaits the collective groan of everyone.) But I'm just a bitter AC fan who is jealous of HKDL's shiny, semi-stolen toys.

/GROAN!

j/k I'd love to see that happen....

El Grupo

I'd love to see attractions based on The Incredibles and even UP. ... I think WALL*E has so much potential, but let's not forget that the average WDW guest looks like one of those folks on those hover-seats. Hell, I think you could do so many things from A Bug's Life too that wasn't exploited in Anaheim. ... And even the new (and wonderful) Brave has possibilities. ... But Disney tends to take the easy way out. ... They couldn't have come up with a different theme for TSMM in Tokyo? Of course they could have.

Well, with that Incredibles plan previously intended for DCA sitting on the shelf, they have a good place to start. Add in some other unique, Pixar-related dark rides, along with a couple moved from other WDW parks, and Disney has a robust land that can be easily marketed.

Of course, Disney would need to couple such a move with a park overhaul (similar to the what was done with DCA) to make it really successful. Though Carsland is the centerpiece there, all of the other upgrades have made it a complete park.

And, though the poor dead horse has been beaten beyond recognition, I must strike once more. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If there is any reasonable way that Disney and Lucas can arrive at an agreement to create a land dedicated to Star Wars with multiple attractions/restaurants/shops etc., now is the time.

Taylor

74 you made my day I could kiss you (but I don't roll like that) along as your source wasn't found on TWITer i'l trust you. But would it be DHS and DAK only getting love, now that's awesome but poor Epcot it's getting treated like a red headed stepchild

Taylor

Well, with that Incredibles plan previously intended for DCA sitting on the shelf, they have a good place to start. Add in some other unique, Pixar-related dark rides, along with a couple moved from other WDW parks, and Disney has a robust land that can be easily marketed.

Of course, Disney would need to couple such a move with a park overhaul (similar to the what was done with DCA) to make it really successful. Though Carsland is the centerpiece there, all of the other upgrades have made it a complete park.

And, though the poor dead horse has been beaten beyond recognition, I must strike once more. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If there is any reasonable way that Disney and Lucas can arrive at an agreement to create a land dedicated to Star Wars with multiple attractions/restaurants/shops etc., now is the time.
I'm only going to talk about the Lucas part of that. George Lucas has a enormous ego (from what I've heard and can tell) and an agreement for a land to happen for his movies it would take so much money that TDO bean counters would have a stroke

ellie-badge

Glad to finally hear that TDO might step up to the plate for once, and that Disney's Hollywood Studios may be getting a lot of love in the near future. Is there any word on what Epcot might be receiving once Test Track 2.0 is completed? Hopefully something having to do with Imagination and Wonders of Life?

El Grupo

I'm only going to talk about the Lucas part of that. George Lucas has a enormous ego (from what I've heard and can tell) and an agreement for a land to happen for his movies it would take so much money that TDO bean counters would have a stroke

I suspected money was the issue. However, I'd be surprised if his ego was any bigger than James Cameron's.

Taylor

I suspected money was the issue. However, I'd be surprised if his ego was any bigger than James Cameron's.
What I think what happened with Cameron was he just wanted to keep avatar relevant for the future Lucas doesn't have that problem with Star Wars or Indy

alissafalco

I know. And I've been hearing stuff since last week ... and over the weekend I got confirmation of some things and today got another and I felt comfortable enough with what I put out. ... I admit, I am surprised by it (in a good way), but don't want to gush when I don't know what will eventually be given the green light and how much will be spent.

But money WILL be spent ... attractions will be built ... and CHANGE will come!:)

Oh, one thing both Disney and life has taught me is that things can ALWAYS get worse ... just when you think you've hit rock bottom the door in the floor opens and drops you a whole lot further.

I do think in some ways Disney will drop further for a while, but it may be masked because you'll have more of the Fantasyland project opening and new DVCs and timeshares (BTW, AoA isn't sizzling from what I gather).

I just don't know. I have lots of information from various sources (and some knowledge, which is what you really want!) and I'm trying to process it all and put it together by connecting the dots.

I find it telling that two people I greatly trust have stated that much of a madeover Studios park could be up and running before we see any sign of blue aliens at DAK, and more importantly, TDO would rather it that way as well (seems like many of us 'haters' aren't the only ones who feel Bob made a bad choice when pouting over Potter).

I think the reason why AoA isnt sizzling is because of the price! I looked into it and was considering staying there until I priced out a vacation. For one of the suites there, it was the same price as a deluxe standard room! So how is that a value resort?? I understand its a suite but its supposed to be a value resort. I'm sorry I'd rather stay at a deluxe in a standard room than in a value suite if its the same price. Thats why I think they aren't sizzling.

alissafalco

Yes! I am holding out hope for a Star Wars land!! Thats just what DHS needs, and it would be unique to WDW. With a Star Wars character meal and an Ewok play area (ditch Honey I shrunk the kids).

Longhairbear

I am loving this thread, it's like the old days on another site I read that is devoted to DLR. They once had an insider named Marci who would butt heads constantly with Al Lutz's claims on his site. Each had their own sources , but It was Marci, I believe who broke the news about the makeover of DCA first, with Blue Sky Disney also breaking the news.

ParentsOf4

They are looking to cut costs across the board, because that IS the best way TDO knows how to operate. That's why there is not one single midnight MK closing in August (with many 9 and 10 p.m. nights). That is why they have already announced an hour being removed from EMHs. They are looking at cutting entertainment budgets yet again. ... And also expect to start seeing (if they haven't started yet, conflicting info on this) to have even more staggered hours for attractions. In other words, don't be shocked if Jungle Cruise or PoC starts opening at 11 a.m. when the park is open at 9 (those are just possibilities, so don't say I said that was definitely happening!)

Some resort dining locales may soon see shorter operating hours and lose meals entirely (does any of this sound like WDW in the past?)
Hopefully more recent WDW fans will get to experience the excitement of real expansion in Orlando that once was common in the 1980s and 1990s.

Still disappointed by TDO's continued lack of commitment to quality, to the old Disney standard of excellence. Many recent cost-cutting measures seem so petty. It's frustrating to see a top-tier vacation destination continue to implement the kind of cutbacks associated with lesser amusement parks. Is there any hope TDO will see this cheapens the brand?

TarzanRocked99-

I would just hope they give the Studios a true sense of identity again. They lost it back in the late 90's and it's only gotten worse over the last decade. Give the park a true sense of place and time along with a coherent theme. And for goodness sake remove the ugly blue giant traffic cone from the hub.

CinematicFusion

I posted this on another forum but it feels more relevant on this forum...

Was talking to a guy I met in an animation/film club. He says he has a friend who works for Disney and talked about some potential projects down the line.
Some of the stuff sounded very cool. I don't know this guy, was just chatting about Disney and got into this conversation. It could be all made up. Maybe some people on this board could confirm. anyway...

At some point the racing track will be torn down in MK to make room for a new ride in tomorrow land. Didn't know what would be going there.
The Racing track will be rethemed to cars at DHS, along with another family friendly ride ( monsters coaster, crush coaster maybe?) it would give Pixar place three rides.

Was talk about a dark ride for animal kingdom but with Avatar this I'm sure is dead.
Dark ride with 3d elements that transports viewers into Disney animated films such as the old mill, Bambi, jungle book, princess and the frog. Through the perspective of the animals, or animals point of view.
Disney characters will be your guide.
An example would be The flight of a bee from Winnie the pooh. Winnie the pooh would make an appearance trying to steal your honey. there would be a transition into the jungle book and the audience would feel the hunt of a tiger through the jungle.
Audience will be guided though the warm pastels of Bambi to the dark swamps of princess and the frog. it would be a very colorful and emotional ride.
Think wonderful world of Disney documentaries about animals meets disney's classic animation with Mickey and friends as your guide.
Maybe I'm not explaining it right but that's what I got out of it. Sounded really cool.

There was talk about a
Redo of journey into the imagination
Feature Disney characters. No idea about figment.
Uses the lps trackless ride tech.
Tag line is: you never know where you imagination will take you.
How an idea from imagineers can take a strange trip from concept to reality.
Each ride will give you a different perspective on the idea.
Think goofy's how to movies of the 40's.
He said there was talk of putting a major theme in each Disney park that featured Mickey, Donald ,goofy.
DHS has fantastic, MK has Philharmagic. The AK dark ride, and redo of Imagination would be the other two.

Sounded like a cool idea but with the recent refurb of the lights in journey into imagination, that ride concept might be off the table.

But looks like Disney is working on concepts...they just need to get green lit!

So I do think Disney will have some cool concepts being built from 2014-2020. I believe they want to have something new for each year.

Skibum1970

I'd love to see attractions based on The Incredibles and even UP. ... I think WALL*E has so much potential, but let's not forget that the average WDW guest looks like one of those folks on those hover-seats. Hell, I think you could do so many things from A Bug's Life too that wasn't exploited in Anaheim. ... And even the new (and wonderful) Brave has possibilities. ... But Disney tends to take the easy way out. ... They couldn't have come up with a different theme for TSMM in Tokyo? Of course they could have.

Apparently, WDW didn't receive the memo that Universal was out for blood. The first shot off the bow was Islands of Adventure. HP was a broadside, the upcoming HP is another broadside (coaster/dark ride looks like an awesome attraction), and Transformers, the shot that takes out the mast, appears to have been green-lit and construction underway at the Orlanda Universal Studios. So, Uni is adding three or four top-flight attractions with only a mild response.

For Brave, I think a themed boat ride through the world of Merida. Incredibles could be a coaster. UP or Wall-E could each be a dark ride that would be awesome and yet not difficult to create. The result would be a real Pixar place. Bringing Racers to FL would be nice but I'd rather have three $100 million rides rather than just one (assuming that the price tag of $350 million is accurate).

yoyoflamingo

But money WILL be spent ... attractions will be built ... and CHANGE will come!:)

Big, spirited change! ;)

Wonderful news! This is what we've been waiting for, literally for years. Hopefully the cost cutting will be scaled back (not temporary, since we all know what Disney defines as temporary) and new and wonderful ideas emerge. RSR or not, anything big at the Studios (or in WDW in general) has been long overdue.

Thank you for sharing!

Jim Possible

Longtime lurker, relatively new poster here.

I'd posted this over on one of the Snow White coaster threads (multiple threads for one kiddie coaster, can you believe that?!) but thought it might be appropriate here as it sums up my feelings on WDW/FLE...

So at the end of the day, we only get one new ride out of FLE -- right?

Dumbo doubles in size, Goofy gets moved. The Mermaid dark ride replaces the Snow White dark ride, and we get one new kiddie coaster... eventually.

I'm glad they're adding on to the park, don't get me wrong, but... I feel like the kid in The Incredibles waiting for Mr. Incredible to actually be incredible again.

Meanwhile, over at Universal... ;)

Now I do get that not everyone is about rides, rides, rides.

But for most people -- myself included -- I go to a theme park for the rides, rides, rides!

Restaurants and play spots are nice bonuses and all, but that's not why I shell out thousands of dollars every year to visit a Disney park.

I want to experience the incredible attractions Disney has become known for (or had -- past tense -- depending on your brand of 'pixie dust' I suppose).

And when John Q. Public hears about Fantasyland doubling in size, the natural assumption would be that the number of rides will double, too.

And that's far from being the case.

After hearing about DCA's extreme makeover, I can't help but think that many families will venture down to Florida expecting the same kind of thing... only to be met with a bigger Dumbo, 1 new dark ride, and a bunch of gift shops. Oh yeah, and another roller coaster... some day.

I'd be underwhelmed. I am underwhelmed. Again, I do appreciate that they're doing something... but this is Disney. They can do better.

Just an opinion.

jt04

Or we could subtitle this post: WDW is in dire trouble and they finally get that timeshares, data mining and cost-cutting won't be enough to cut it.

There's been a lot of chatter of late about WDW and its response to Potter (or lack thereof), but WDW no longer needs just a Potter Swatter or a Transformers Trasher ... and apparently the suits are starting to get VERY worried.

And, yes, that's why you've heard of grandiose plans to redo TPFKaTD-MGMS and drop part of Carsland in (actually as near as I can tell, it's simply RSRs, a shop, and a snack stand, but it could well be more and I don't know what has been proposed to whom at this point). ... Because of the Pandoran Delegations delays in bringing blue aliens to DAK, there's a strong push to get this done and started soon (like as soon as the next fiscal year) and have it open first.

I admit that it is surprising. I've fought it. And I hate the idea that RSRs could wind up in FLA ...BTW, so does Georgie K and TDA because there's a thought that the larger resort will siphon many of the new visitors to Anaheim away if the larger one suddenly has the biggest piece of the redevelopment puzzle ... and John Lasseter could step in and stop this too. This is a VERY fluid situation because Anaheim never expected their top new attraction to suddenly be desired by their cross country cheaper cousin. They, somewhat naturally, don't want to share. And WDW is set to debut Test Track 2.0, but that in no way is an equalizer.

But Kathy Mangum was one of the top folks on Carsland and she now will be residing at Celebration Place, and it isn't because she's replacing Jim MacPhee on Next Gen or because she needs to reign in Joe Rohde's travel expense account.

Right now TDO is running scared (like a fanboi an at Imagineering party who has just tried a 'special' punch and feels a little 'funny'). They have a stale product. They realize (even if some fanbois don't) FINALLY that the modest Fantasyland project isn't enough and they know getting aliens into DAK is not going to be an easy or quick task at all. They also get that timeshare sales may make the bottom line look vastly better than it should, but those won't last forever.

Resort attendance this summer has been abysmal at times (no, you shouldn't have resort load levels in the 60s in the summer!), both DME and DDP are way down. The parks have been lighter than they should be (with the exception of the water parks, which are having phenomenal summers).

The DDP problem many at TDO suspect is because people are opting to either not stay on-site or spend days away from their rooms at POP, PO or the BW making them less likely to get tied down to a meal plan that makes Disney a small fortune.

They are looking to cut costs across the board, because that IS the best way TDO knows how to operate. That's why there is not one single midnight MK closing in August (with many 9 and 10 p.m. nights). That is why they have already announced an hour being removed from EMHs. They are looking at cutting entertainment budgets yet again. ... And also expect to start seeing (if they haven't started yet, conflicting info on this) to have even more staggered hours for attractions. In other words, don't be shocked if Jungle Cruise or PoC starts opening at 11 a.m. when the park is open at 9 (those are just possibilities, so don't say I said that was definitely happening!)

Some resort dining locales may soon see shorter operating hours and lose meals entirely (does any of this sound like WDW in the past?)

Disney also will be taking more hotel inventory out for 'rehab; likely as we head into 2013. That is again a bottom-line as well as PR move. If you remove say 600 rooms for 'work' at ASMu, then you may be able to crow that the resort is 87% full -- now, of course it won't be, but that doesn't matter so much. And work will be coming to many resorts starting next year.

Now, I don't want this to read like bad news, because it actually appears that TDO's running scared because of the competition and Burbank is keeping closer tabs and realizes something needs to be done. ... And while you'll likely see smaller projects at all parks (I'd definitely expect to see Wishes replaced by something better when the new parade debuts now -- that's just an educated opinion there, not fact), it certainly looks like the weak sister Studios will be where the action happens (no, no Marvel, fanbois!)

That shouldn't really surprise, though, because the park most like DCA in Florida is, and always has been, TPFKaTD-MGMS.

Again, I really think this will be GOOD news down the road. But look for more cost cutting, penny pinching and cast and guest screwing until we get there!

This has everything to do with the increasing liklihood of a double-dip recession and not anything to do with operations unique to WDW. DLR would be having similar concerns if not for DCA 2.0. In fact I think they are going to extra efforts to keep wait times inflated. Global tourism is a leading indicator and judging by London's Olympics numbers (or lack thereof) the problem is global.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom