Disney World on a rainy day vs. Disneyland on a rainy day- which do you prefer?

CamiCan

Original Poster
Non-Southern Californians will most likely never understand why we don't like rain and sort of freak out when it rains. It's all relative, really.

Speak for yourself. We are in a drought and if we don't get rain this winter, we will get bad water rationing and might only be able to shower every other day and cut back on city parks and stuff. I'm personally hoping for some rain this winter; we'll stay in and play video games.

Yes, traffic snarls and it interferes with plans but it's better than running out of water.

Remember that big storm we had back at the end of February during the Oscars. I thought that was a big deal. Well, that's what the downpours in Florida (except it's sunny and warm shortly afterwards) looked like (I saw two of them plus several less heavy rain episodes) and there people don't bat an eye. We got about half of the days to be rain-free as well and people said we were lucky.

OTOH, it's kind of fun to watch the transplants freak out over minor earthquakes. Come on, a 4.0 isn't going to do any damage, let alone kill someone but they run like chickens with their heads off swearing that it's the scariest thing that ever happened to them.
I do not understand the same people can be totally blase about tornadoes that will devour everything in sight and toss cars miles away but are terrorized by minor sharking.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Speak for yourself. We are in a drought and if we don't get rain this winter, we will get bad water rationing and might only be able to shower every other day and cut back on city parks and stuff. I'm personally hoping for some rain this winter; we'll stay in and play video games.

Yes, traffic snarls and it interferes with plans but it's better than running out of water.

Remember that big storm we had back at the end of February during the Oscars. I thought that was a big deal. Well, that's what the downpours in Florida (except it's sunny and warm shortly afterwards) looked like (I saw two of them plus several less heavy rain episodes) and there people don't bat an eye. We got about half of the days to be rain-free as well and people said we were lucky.

OTOH, it's kind of fun to watch the transplants freak out over minor earthquakes. Come on, a 4.0 isn't going to do any damage, let alone kill someone but they run like chickens with their heads off swearing that it's the scariest thing that ever happened to them.
I do not understand the same people can be totally blase about tornadoes that will devour everything in sight and toss cars miles away but are terrorized by minor sharking.

I think you know what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about right now, during this drought, I'm speaking in general terms. Drought or not, Southern Californians will ALWAYS complain about rain. I'm pretty sure I can speak for the majority of Southern Californians. You even said it yourself, you'd stay in if it rained.

Speaking of the drought, this isn't the first time California's been in a major drought. This state is prone to droughts, with its Mediterranean climate.

CamiCan

Original Poster
I think you know what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about right now, during this drought, I'm speaking in general terms. Drought or not, Southern Californians will ALWAYS complain about rain. I'm pretty sure I can speak for the majority of Southern Californians. You even said it yourself, you'd stay in if it rained.

Speaking of the drought, this isn't the first time California's been in a major drought. This state is prone to droughts, with its Mediterranean climate.

Complaining is one thing; but being melodramatic and acting as if it's the end of the world is another. As many people said on here, a rainy day at Disney is much better than a nice weather day at home. Yes, Disney is the ONLY outdoor thing I've done in the rain. Personally for me, heavy crowds and super long lines would be more of an annoyance than an afternoon downpour which is why we went to WDW in September before my fall quarter started rather than my Christmas break (BTW- winter is the dry season in Florida which seems backwards to us but if you really dislike rain, you should make your first trip to WDW in winter rather than summer). WDW is a very interesting experience to those very familiar with DLR because there are a lot of both differences and similarities and rides and experiences that DLR doesn't have.

Californian Elitist

Complaining is one thing; but being melodramatic and acting as if it's the end of the world is another. As many people said on here, a rainy day at Disney is much better than a nice weather day at home.

Some people (SoCal residents, specifically) don't like going out in the rain, even if it means missing out on a trip to Disneyland. There's a reason why DL is empty on rainy days. It's a downer for a lot of people (rain in general). I don't find that melodramatic, just a preference.

CamiCan

Original Poster
Some people (SoCal residents, specifically) don't like going out in the rain, even if it means missing out on a trip to Disneyland. There's a reason why DL is empty on rainy days. It's a downer for a lot of people (rain in general). I don't find that melodramatic, just a preference.

That's okay for us locals because we can go to Disneyland any time we want to! I've only gone in the rain twice just to do Toy Story Mania over and over again (once by myself and once with a friend). Did Peter Pan, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, and Pinochio too but didn't do the outdoor rides. I also was dressed warm and knew I could leave anytime I wanted. The worst part was the traffic getting there. If I was working for Disney in the rain (which I'm assuming you did when you worked there), I'd be more annoyed due to have to wear those uniforms and costumes, and having to stand there to operate rides and deal with the commute each day.

Disney World is different because if you're making a special trip including a 5 hour flight and a two week stay at an onsite hotel, would you stay inside the whole time because you have a fifty percent chance of getting rain at some point each day every day? We certainly weren't paying over $3,000 (total cost of our flights, hotel, and park hopper tix) to sit in a hotel and play videogames. Despite being native Southern Californians, we still fully enjoyed the trip and went each day prepared with ponchos and watershoes in our packbacks, and smiles on our faces to enjoy each day.

I know my friend who skipped classes when it rained would have probably sat in the room and sulked during the trip (she's dramatic about other things too).

Last edited:

thomas998

Funny, completely off topic story: when I was at Aulani in 2013, I was sitting by the pool next to this pregnant woman and her husband. It started drizzling. They looked up at the sky and then the husband said, "You wanna go inside and watch a movie?" It wasn't raining THAT hard, and it's Hawaii; it'll be gone in 20 minutes. But they picked up their stuff and left. I was thinking, "Clearly from SoCal..."

Yep... I lived in Florida when I was a kid and you just learned to accept rain. Unless you had lightning it wasn't even something you thought about... I just remember every afternoon it seemed to rain, no one melted and we often didn't even bother to try and seek shelter. I guess its the curse of folks in southern California that were pretty much raised in a desert.

Magenta Panther

Rain at WDW often means not only getting wet, but walking smack into invisible walls of malevolent humidity. I'd take Disneyland's "little April showers" over that any day.

Also: Don't wear a raincoat. Raincoats are a nuisance because you have to take them off once inside a store or attraction, and then you're stuck with a drippy garment that you gotta drag around. Just use an umbrella - the portable kind. Easy to use, easy to store, win-win.

thomas998

Rain at WDW often means not only getting wet, but walking smack into invisible walls of malevolent humidity. I'd take Disneyland's "little April showers" over that any day.

Also: Don't wear a raincoat. Raincoats are a nuisance because you have to take them off once inside a store or attraction, and then you're stuck with a drippy garment that you gotta drag around. Just use an umbrella - the portable kind. Easy to use, easy to store, win-win.

April showers might not be that bad... but fall showers can be down right cold and nasty.. I would much rather be hot and wet than cold and wet.

Nicole

But thankfully Toy Story Mania is indoors and it's so nice being able to walk on to that when you normally have to wait more than an hour on weekends and about 30 minutes during non-holiday weekdays. I never go near any theme park between Christmas and New Years; the crowds are always horrific. On the rainy day, I bet there were enough out-of-towners that you still had to wait in line for most rides.

Well, I'm an out-of-tower who takes any opportunity on the West Coast to go to DLR, even during peak season. We walked on to several things that rainy late-December day, and that made it nice. Still I'd rather be at one of the Florida parks on a rainy day, just because they're more used to rain there.

CamiCan

Original Poster

I was 18 months old so I have zero memory of it.

Well, I'm an out-of-tower who takes any opportunity on the West Coast to go to DLR, even during peak season. We walked on to several things that rainy late-December day, and that made it nice.

Did you walk onto to Toy Story Mania and Radiator Springs Racers though? I don't doubt that you walked on the other stuff but those are the big two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom