1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Discussion in 'Running at WDW' started by wdwmagic, Aug 13, 2011.

1. LAKid53

LAKid53 Well-Known Member

@Texas84, have you found a DVC room yet? You know, you can do a DVC cash rental and many times, beat any current cash room discount. I had to do that for my visit Thursday for the Pandora preview - got a savannah view studio at Jambo cheaper than most deluxes with the current Spring discount for APs.

Speaking of Pandora, I want to give a shout out and thanks to @wdwmagic for the excellent videos of both the land walk through and Na'vi River Journey y'all uploaded to YouTube. My apologies for going off topic...

Swissmiss and wdwmagic like this.
  2. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

Depends on when you are going to the expo. Typically the first day of the expo will be a madhouse. I've been at a few expos where the line to get into the Jostens center where they have most of the shirt pickups, most of the merch and alot of the vendors has a line that pretty much wraps around a soccer field waiting to get in. (But you can walk right into bib pickup, but may need to go to the Jostens for the shirts) And a good chance of merchandise being pretty picked over a few hours after it opens. If you go later on, especially on a Saturday, it should be pretty empty.

3. Texas84

Texas84 DVC Fan Boy Premium Member

I'm on the wait list for OKW and SSR. Also have an offsite timeshare booked if the waitlist doesn't come through. Looked at the rental prices and would rather save the $ and stay offsite.

LAKid53 likes this.
  4. Figment82

Figment82 Well-Known Member

If you're not really concerned about the merchandise, I'd recommend going much later in the day or waiting until the following day. I'll pop over on my way home from work, and it takes longer to walk from the parking lot and navigate the elaborate maze they have set up than it takes to actually get my bib and shirt. The merchandise area is usually pretty quiet at that point, but you won't get the full availability that you would at opening. You'll probably keep your sanity though!

5. LAKid53

I think it also depends on the race and whether it's an inaugural or anniversary year. We showed up on Friday morning for last year's SW Dark Side. Hardly anything left - magnets, shirts, mugs - since it was the inaugural year.

This year's Princess Half, while crowded, was nothing like the Dark Side 2 months later. However, since the 2018 Princess is the 10th anniversary of the Half and 5th anniversary of the Challenge, I would expect a zoo at the official race merchandise area - which is why I pre-ordered all the commemorative/pins/runner's bundle merchandise when I registered. I would anticipate the same demand for the 25th Marathon next January.

Within a week or two after the race weekend, the Shop Disney Parks app has all the official race merchandise - shirts, magnets, cups, mugs, etc. I picked up a few things from there that I didn't see at the expo.

Texas84 likes this.
  6. Texas84

I did not know that!

LAKid53 likes this.
  7. LAKid53

The official race merchandise for SW Dark Side is still available on the app. I keep checking daily because I hope the race banner that you can have your name and time added and attach your bib to will go on sale. They offered one for the Princess Half.

Texas84 likes this.
  8. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

Definitely only seems to be a subset of the merch that is usually available. Not sure if they have just expanded the offerings (had been offering the "I Did It" shirts for a while) or if they are finally offering most of the merchandise online now.

9. LAKid53

Just about everything at the expo was available - the I Did It shirts, other race shirts/tanks, the large Tervis mug, coffee cup, travel coffee cup, glass, magnets, the race specific jackets, medal pins. The only items not shown were the pre-purchased merchandise - pins, jacket, ornament and and small Tervis mug.

10. Texas84

Living Colour on race weekend. Awesome.

JillC LI likes this.