Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Figment82

I'm probably in the minority but I loved the course. Bear Island was a nice, shady respite (I really missed it once I turned onto World Drive!). It was a nice wide path where I could make up some time after congested DAK. I don't stop for, or care much about, the characters so that wasn't a problem. I definitely think they could have used more general entertainment (I laughed at the Dr Strange wrapped bus parked on the side!) but I'm used to running without music so it doesn't bother me. The 5 overpasses were annoying, but like I said before, I'll take that over the DAK parking lot any day!

My shin splints from earlier in the week vanished on race day and I was able to hit a new PR! W&D has always been my cursed race, but this time I felt like the miles sailed by and I couldn't believe how good I felt through the whole course. Apparently it was the night aspect that was causing me bad luck!

In my 7 years of running this race, I've never once gone to the after party so I can't comment on that. I had to work on Monday, and driving over to Epcot for an after hours party when I had been up since 2am didn't sound thrilling. ;)

This event has been riddled with challenges from the beginning, and I don't think they'll ever get it right, but I had a fun time and am already looking forward to year 8!

dreamfinder

Disappointed in the race merch, though. Why Disney can't figure out how much to stock baffles me. There was practically nothing when I went to expo Friday afternoon, a likely time for people doing the challenge. However, I loved the race shirts and the medals are awesome! The 10K doesn't need to be as big as the half medal, though. Both are about the same size as my marathon medal from 2015. Did you guys figure out Lumiere's flames glow in the dark on the challenge medal! Cool!

I've been complaing about this for years now. I'm shocked that runDisney leaves money on the table by not doing a better job with merch. We know that the Disney Store can handle the print on demand type runs of shirts, as they used to (do they still?) offer 1 race shirt after the race online, and then shipped it in 4-6 weeks once it was produced. So have a handful of samples, sizing for guests to see/try on, and then let them order at expo to be drop shipped to their home. Doesn't solve the hard good stock levels, but would help with the soft goods, and helps to get rid of over stocking any one size/style and being left with stuff to clear out at the outlets.

kevlightyear

I've been complaing about this for years now. I'm shocked that runDisney leaves money on the table by not doing a better job with merch. We know that the Disney Store can handle the print on demand type runs of shirts, as they used to (do they still?) offer 1 race shirt after the race online, and then shipped it in 4-6 weeks once it was produced. So have a handful of samples, sizing for guests to see/try on, and then let them order at expo to be drop shipped to their home. Doesn't solve the hard good stock levels, but would help with the soft goods, and helps to get rid of over stocking any one size/style and being left with stuff to clear out at the outlets.

Exactly! People always complain about snipers coming in first thing, buying everything up and reselling on ebay. That only happens when items are limited. If they make everything available to everyone, that problem goes away instantly. How Disney doesn't see that is beyond me. They already offer some items online when you register for the race. Why not do the same thing a few weeks before the race for the rest of the merch? Continue the sale past the race if you want, even so people can check it out in person. Then produce and ship it. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

surfsupdon

Was ClifBar not invited? Or did they choose to not come? I'm shocked that runDisney chose to not have faster pacers. I've never been a huge fan of the Galloway pacers, nothing against the method, but the pace groups don't seem to be conscious of the others around them.

I checked the runDisney site now that it has been updated again post W&D and Avengers. ClifBar pacers are only mentioned with their own section for the Princess Weekend. No mention at Marathon or any other rD weekend, EXCEPT for Princess.

ClifBar Pacers rock...we needthem at each Weekend.

dreamfinder

I checked the runDisney site now that it has been updated again post W&D and Avengers. ClifBar pacers are only mentioned with their own section for the Princess Weekend. No mention at Marathon or any other rD weekend, EXCEPT for Princess.

ClifBar Pacers rock...we needthem at each Weekend.

Boo. If I had a FaceBook or Twitter I'll call out runDisney and see what they say about the lack of pacers. Any volunteers?

thumper

Hi everyone - well, 2 (almost 3) weeks later and I'm finally getting to posting about my W&D experience!

Once again - I ran with Sparrow's Nest (my employer and one of the charities selected for the race). It was our 3rd year running this race and proud to say that aside from Home for Our Troops, our tiny Hudson Valley, NY charity was the largest group represented out of all the charities (140 runners for the half with some doing the 10K and Lumiere).

I myself only ran the half. I went to the Expo early Friday morning and had no problems whatsoever. I too was one who never received my Disney GC, and encountered no problem obtaining one. At the time I went to the Expo, there was plenty of merchandise...although the 10K stuff was already pulled due to the typo.

Pre- party.....arrived right at 3:15am and headed straight to Mickey/Minnie line with hardly any wait. While on line for Goofy was when the music stopped and the lights went out....not good Disney..not good!! I thought bag check was smooth, and the port-a-potty lines (no matter what time) were ridiculous, but to be expected.

Race course - well, we all expected it, so not surprised at what it was. Not happy with the lack of entertainment/characters after Duck Tales (perhaps was it because they didn't want traffic to be held up as incoming cars would be slowing down to view it)? I thought everything was smooth after crossing the finish line (medal distribution, food, photos, etc). Not thrilled with my time due to the fact that I was incorrectly placed in the last corral and had to make up for a lot of lost time zig-zagging through people...but I did it (2:39).

After party - absolutely horrible. We entered around 8 pm to get to WS and to see the show. We were grabbing a bite at the Dominican Republic and overheard that they were closing all stations at 9pm and re-opening them at 9:30pm and serving only those with pink wristbands. Speaking for myself, not one kiosk checked my wristband after 9:30pm (Belgium, Germany, Australia, refreshment port to name a few). The characters lines were horrific - we waited on line for Dopey and Snow White and that was it. The Frozen ride wait time was 90 minutes even at 11:30 pm. I don't know - just felt a different vibe this year vs previous years and I can't pinpoint it.

Our entire charity stayed at POR, and had a wonderful experience there. The staff was great, rooms were fine, no complaints whatsoever.

I hope everyone had a great time...by the way - have you seen that the registration for 2017 is MUCH earlier this year (January)???? I noticed that it is much earlier for all 2017 races across the board!

surfsupdon

HI don't know - just felt a different vibe this year vs previous years and I can't pinpoint it.

I say it was because in the original format, you finished and had that unique runners high, and got to party in Epcot. You were so happy you finished, had an accomplishment, and now got to party with everyone in the same situation.

This year, you ran early morning....then the party was separated by 12 hours....and you were very tired, even if you took a nap. Plus that runners high was over. You were just tired.

kevlightyear

After party - absolutely horrible. We entered around 8 pm to get to WS and to see the show. We were grabbing a bite at the Dominican Republic and overheard that they were closing all stations at 9pm and re-opening them at 9:30pm and serving only those with pink wristbands. Speaking for myself, not one kiosk checked my wristband after 9:30pm (Belgium, Germany, Australia, refreshment port to name a few). The characters lines were horrific - we waited on line for Dopey and Snow White and that was it. The Frozen ride wait time was 90 minutes even at 11:30 pm. I don't know - just felt a different vibe this year vs previous years and I can't pinpoint it.

I agree, closing the kiosks for that short amount of time was bizarre and unnecessary. Frozen was long, but that was expected because the 90 minute wait at park closing never let up. We did get to ride Soarin' with little wait, though.

thumper

run-disney-2017-2018-calendar.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Dang, I'm going to be at WDW the day registration opens for Wine & Dine and don't want to try registering on my phone (leary of doing that using a laptop/tablet on an open, unsecured Wi-Fi). Thank goodness as an AP and DVC I get to register a week early.

So, this is now my life.... Perpetual training and registering for runDisney races..... ;)

Greenlawler

A few years back (when you could still do paper registrations) I know at least WDW January opened the day after the full for a few years.
Yes,that's right it did, totally forgot about those days. That was back before the days when the races would sell out within a week. We would wait till we got back from our post race "vaca" then go ahead and register for the next year's race around a week after.

This early W&D signup is painful. We really had every intention of doing it this year, but I don't know now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom