Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

fmingo36

Loved this and wanted share-I know the intention of the word bib is as in eating but as a runner, all I could think about is my number bib-LOL

Attachments

• F&WBIB.jpg
    F&WBIB.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 49

Monorail Lime

Sounds like an old school Mousketeer outfit? I think you'll probably be fine. They seem to be pretty loose with the rules, especially during race weekends. Especially if you're still wearing your bib and medal it will be pretty clear that you're not a CM, which is the reasoning behind the rule in the first place. Worst case scenario, you could always take off the ears and you'd look pretty normal

That said, the race is at 7, and the park doesn't open until 9. Even if you have a very leisurely race, you'll have a decent wait in the parking lot before the park opens. It's a fairly small race so the corrals are released pretty quickly; I would think the last finishers would be wrapping up by 8:15 or so. Considering how long the wait is before the race, you may not want to hang around in the parking lot any longer than you have to
Thank you for the food for thought. I was anticipating the race (with ample photo stops) and finisher's area activities to take at least 90 minutes but that may indeed be an excessively leisurely calculation on my part.

We will have our cameras and Magic Bands with us either way so I suppose we can play it by ear. :)

Monorail Lime

Oh no! I just found out from another thread that Contemporary isn't a host resort this time!

Any tips for getting to and from expo, 5K, and the half for someone who apparently totally missed that fact when booking many months ago??

surfsupdon

Oh no! I just found out from another thread that Contemporary isn't a host resort this time!

Any tips for getting to and from expo, 5K, and the half for someone who apparently totally missed that fact when booking many months ago??

Polynesian is a Host. So monorail over and use their bus transport. Simple fix. Have fun.

Monorail Lime

Polynesian is a Host. So monorail over and use their bus transport. Simple fix. Have fun.
Excellent, thanks! Crisis averted.

The Resort monorail line will be closed when we head to the 5K and also following the Epcot after party some 24 hours later. Fortunately the valet desk assures me that getting a taxi in the middle of the night is not a problem.

dreamfinder

Excellent, thanks! Crisis averted.

The Resort monorail line will be closed when we head to the 5K and also following the Epcot after party some 24 hours later. Fortunately the valet desk assures me that getting a taxi in the middle of the night is not a problem.

It shouldn't be, but it never hurts to store the taxi number in your phone, just in case.

disneygeek90

Good luck to all of the runners tomorrow! This was my first Disney run in 2012 and after the 10 miler and the Princess this is still my favorite race. Maybe I'll get back to this one next year.

a2grafix

I finished! 3:04

That ran was horrible.

Are there typically more characters out? I felt it was very sporadic in the placement of them. Did the rain keep some away?

Great that you finished. Reading some updates on a Facebook #runDisney group that the 2014 Wine and Dine was more wine, rather whine, than dine. More like a pool party. With the cold front approaching, the moderate rain did not make sure ideal running conditions. At least you toughed it out.

Read that several character photo ops and TV screens and music normally placed on Osceloa in the "dead zones" were in fact dead due to the rain. From running the 2013 W&D race it was clear, humid-ish, about 69-71 at the start and dipped into the mid to low 60s by the post party. I was soaked from the run in 2013 but cold as well. You and others must have felt miserable after the run and the post party. Hopefully you were able to warm up before getting back to the hotel.

There were characters out along the course on Osceola, around Animal Kingdom and the Studios, but this year with all the construction at Animal and Studios and the rain, Disney threw a caution sign out and removed the characters for safety. Read on Facebook that several runners were swept up late in the run before Studios or their normal paces dropped by 3-4 minutes due to the persistent rain.

At least, though wet, you got to experience what it was like to run the Wine and Dine course. Hopefully your finishers medal is not broken. The spinners have been busting or the medals being handed out were already broke.

a2grafix

Seeing posts on Facebook that several W&D 2014 spinner finishers medals are already damaged or broken. Some have worked in a toothpick or even a band-aid to quick-fix the medal.

10733967_10204458884784835_6769969302486298746_n.jpg
10483732_10205253949250901_1911681399453037668_n.jpg

Wondering compared to the WDW Marathon weekend spinners, is the 5th annual Wine and Dine spinner just too heavy and it is breaking? What gives?

Last edited:

Kristia

I didn't look at officialresults yet, but my watch read 2:55 when iI finished. It was a super miserable run! We were cold and soaked by the end. We skipped the after party. Just wanted dry clothes and a hot shower at that point! Luckily our medals seem to be fine so far.

FerretAfros

From what I saw toward the front of the pack, there were some character locations that had been scrapped and many others that were moved under cover but could be tough to find (like Rafiki 'hiding' under the security bag check awnings at the DAK entrance). The Fantasia character location outside the DAK parking lot, Lilo & Stitch on the World Dr/Buena Vista Dr ramp, and Incredibles in the Studios by the backstage parking structure were all cancelled due to the rain; there may have also been others that I didn't notice or don't remember

As for the medals, before I had heard that they were breaking I commented to my friend that the spinner was huge and heavy. I suspect that it's just the physics of having something so large on such a small axis; I haven't heard of similar issues with any of Disney's other spinners in the past

I was able to grit and bear it and hit my goal for the race, but it certainly wasn't easy. I had hoped to break 2 hours and my stretch goal was to finish before midnight (starting in B), and a managed to do both. Because of the rain, my wet and heavy shoes, and general misery, I decided to stop for tons of photos and basically gave up on any time goal until around mile 10 when I realized it was still possible, so I'm quite surprised that it actually worked out. With better conditions I'm sure I could have done better, which makes me cautiously optimistic for Avengers next weekend!

surfsupdon

What a race!

I finished in 1h 44minutes (341 overall -- I beat my bib number by 22 places!!)....just 90 seconds shy of a personal best. But it poured, so I am very happy with my performance.

Many characters were not out. Many areas had no music but speakers present. But on the positive note, when I started I was pretty dry. Starting a race soaked to the bone isn't any fun.

Glad I brought a change of clothes with a rain jacket for post race.

Afterparty was great. Rode Soarin three times consecutively, once all by myself. Then hit World Showcase where I ate and ate and ate, and drank a good deal, and got a picture with every character I could find, lots were out. I did 3 laps around the lagoon and did a lot of dancing too, haha.

Then strolled back to Yacht Club for a hot shower by 3am.

Figment82

Congrats to everyone who participated! I swear this race is cursed for me, but I got my plastic spatula and perfect finisher lanyard, gosh darn it! I don't think I warmed up until sometime yesterday afternoon. My pace was slower than I hoped, but I was just proud of toughing through my 65.5th mile of W&D. Hopefully the upcoming Space Coast Half will be a bit drier....

Mad Stitch

Well, I'm home from my W&D Half Marathon weekend. I had a goal to break the 2 hour mark and unfortunately it did not happen. I finished in 2:02:28, still a PR for me though.

First of all it was good to see some of you again and to meet others for the first time. Whoever's camera that was, you need to post the group pic. :) Yes the rain put a damper on our fun. Oh well, it gives me a reason to do it again so I can experience it in its full glory. Did anyone else have trouble getting up the hill at the Studios entryway overpass? It was so slick from the rain I felt my feet slipping when I pushed off.
A few more creative ways one Wine and Dine finisher played around with his broken finishers medal ...
View attachment 73119
That one is funny! I saw a few people break theirs before they even left the finishers chute. Mine is safely hanging with the other medals.

a2grafix

Congrats to everyone who participated! I swear this race is cursed for me, but I got my plastic spatula and perfect finisher lanyard, gosh darn it! I don't think I warmed up until sometime yesterday afternoon. My pace was slower than I hoped, but I was just proud of toughing through my 65.5th mile of W&D. Hopefully the upcoming Space Coast Half will be a bit drier....

Best of luck in the Space Coast run at Cocoa Village. I ran it in 2013 with Team RWB and plan on running it 2 more times in 2015 and 2017 to get the special big bang series 3-run medal.

FerretAfros

Did anyone else have trouble getting up the hill at the Studios entryway overpass? It was so slick from the rain I felt my feet slipping when I pushed off.
Yes! I asked some other people about this, and they had no idea what I was talking about. I wasn't in any danger of falling or sliding backwards down the hill, but I definitely felt my feet slip each time I tried to take a step.

I made a conscious effort to run tangents through the S-curve there, which I think is also the water flow line due to the camber in the road, which made it worse. I noticed that the pavement along that path was a little more torn up than the rest of the road in that area, so perhaps that's what was going on

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom