Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

dancingtodisney

I made the mistake of getting the Mickey line and got cut off when I was maybe 5-10 people away. :grumpy: This year I'm thinking Minnie is the way to go!

Aw no that's very annoying! They really shouldn't allow people to queue that won't get to meet him they should cut the line earlier enough to avoid that. Maybe they'll be smarter this year!
Minnie is my sisters favourite and Goofy is mine so we'll be ok missing out on Mickey if his line is massive!

dreamfinder

Do they send everyone to the corrals at the same time so even if you’re not one of the first corrals to be let go you would still head at the same time as say corral A? I’m totally new to this and to running in general so any tips on what to do while waiting to set off would be great! I presume most people try to sit in the corral and keep warm? I read about those foil blankets so I might pick one of them up.

They will just start making announcements, something like "The corrals are now open. All runners should now start proceeding to the corrals." And then 5 mins later "All runners should be heading to the corrals at this point." 5 mins later "Please, all runners to corrals now. If you haven't started, please begin walking over immediately." 5 mins after that "Last call for all runners to go to corrals." And then 5 mins later "Once again, last call, all runners to your corrals." And then 5 mins after "If you are not in your corrals, head there immediately. Last call runners." Followed by 20 mins of standing around in the corrals. These numbers may be off a bit for this race since there is no mile walk to the corrals, but the idea still holds.
People will both stand or sit, but the corrals aren't necessarily big enough for everyone to sit. I know at at least one of the races, I saw a corral that was spilling out into the area next to it as the corral wasn't big enough. Not sure if that many people up front were sitting and the people in the back just didn't move in, or if runDisney screwed up and made the corral too small. They will have a DJ playing, and sporadic attempts from the hosts to make conversation with runners and each other, and sometimes they show videos and such on the giant screens. Listen to the music, try to relax, and keep loose. If you are planning on running with a pace group (do they have them for the W&D?) look for the balloons, and chat up the pacer. Figure out their method and style. Don't be afraid to talk to other runners. It's usually pretty obvious if someone doesn't want to talk, but usually it's a great place to find out about other races you might want to do.
Don't bother with a foil blanket, pack a set of throwaway clothes (IE long sleeve and pants that you don't mind leaving behind in the start corral). Much easier to keep on you while moving/sitting, and runDisney will donate them to charity after the race. But odds are, you won't even need em. I'd be shocked if the temps at start are below 60, and wouldn't be terribly surprised if they were between 70 and 80.

dancingtodisney

They will just start making announcements, something like "The corrals are now open. All runners should now start proceeding to the corrals." And then 5 mins later "All runners should be heading to the corrals at this point." 5 mins later "Please, all runners to corrals now. If you haven't started, please begin walking over immediately." 5 mins after that "Last call for all runners to go to corrals." And then 5 mins later "Once again, last call, all runners to your corrals." And then 5 mins after "If you are not in your corrals, head there immediately. Last call runners." Followed by 20 mins of standing around in the corrals. These numbers may be off a bit for this race since there is no mile walk to the corrals, but the idea still holds.
People will both stand or sit, but the corrals aren't necessarily big enough for everyone to sit. I know at at least one of the races, I saw a corral that was spilling out into the area next to it as the corral wasn't big enough. Not sure if that many people up front were sitting and the people in the back just didn't move in, or if runDisney screwed up and made the corral too small. They will have a DJ playing, and sporadic attempts from the hosts to make conversation with runners and each other, and sometimes they show videos and such on the giant screens. Listen to the music, try to relax, and keep loose. If you are planning on running with a pace group (do they have them for the W&D?) look for the balloons, and chat up the pacer. Figure out their method and style. Don't be afraid to talk to other runners. It's usually pretty obvious if someone doesn't want to talk, but usually it's a great place to find out about other races you might want to do.
Don't bother with a foil blanket, pack a set of throwaway clothes (IE long sleeve and pants that you don't mind leaving behind in the start corral). Much easier to keep on you while moving/sitting, and runDisney will donate them to charity after the race. But odds are, you won't even need em. I'd be shocked if the temps at start are below 60, and wouldn't be terribly surprised if they were between 70 and 80.

Brilliant, now I know exactly what to expect from the pre-race announcements :)
I never even considered running with one of the pace groups, I guess that would be difficult if you wanted to stop for any of the photo opportunities. We've never run this distance before so we'll be trying to keep a close eye on our pacing to make sure we stick to what we're comfortable with and are able to finish! It would be great if you knew in advance exactly what was on offer at each of the different character stops and then we could decide in advance where to stop and set ourselves timing targets around that. I'm actually a bit nervous when I think about but overall I'm definitely more excited!

Ok I'll take your advice on the clothes and that's pretty cool that they get donated as well! Ye I'm not really sure what to expect temperature wise because I'm from Ireland which is obviously a lot colder in general as well!

FerretAfros

Brilliant, now I know exactly what to expect from the pre-race announcements :)
I never even considered running with one of the pace groups, I guess that would be difficult if you wanted to stop for any of the photo opportunities. We've never run this distance before so we'll be trying to keep a close eye on our pacing to make sure we stick to what we're comfortable with and are able to finish! It would be great if you knew in advance exactly what was on offer at each of the different character stops and then we could decide in advance where to stop and set ourselves timing targets around that. I'm actually a bit nervous when I think about but overall I'm definitely more excited!

Ok I'll take your advice on the clothes and that's pretty cool that they get donated as well! Ye I'm not really sure what to expect temperature wise because I'm from Ireland which is obviously a lot colder in general as well!
I'm pretty sure there are no pacers for W&D. Even when they do have pacers, I find they're often difficult to use. Realistically they're only useable if you happen to be in the same corral (or ahead) of them, since they don't let you move up into a faster corral. However, if you find a pacer who is behind you then you're able to move back, so it may still work for you.

For characters, there may be something at the expo that will let you know who is out. At Marathon Weekend a few years ago I remember seeing a booth sponsored by the on-course photography company that had a course map with all of the character locations on it. I haven't seen them do it again since then, but keep an eye out for it; it was mixed in with all of the other vendors selling things

a2grafix

The 2013 Wine and Dine evening temp before race was around 72F / 22C and it dropped throughout the run into the 60sF / 17-18C. There was some humidity in the air and so after the run and the sweat I was cold. Glad I brought a sweatshirt and it kept me warm. I also wore my sweatshirt before I had to hand off my bag.

dreamfinder

I'm pretty sure there are no pacers for W&D. Even when they do have pacers, I find they're often difficult to use. Realistically they're only useable if you happen to be in the same corral (or ahead) of them, since they don't let you move up into a faster corral.

Which in theory shouldn't be a problem. You should be seeded in the same corral as the pace group that is applicable based on your submitted proof of time. (May be an issue in some of the later corrals with no/less difference between corrals)

For characters, there may be something at the expo that will let you know who is out. At Marathon Weekend a few years ago I remember seeing a booth sponsored by the on-course photography company that had a course map with all of the character locations on it. I haven't seen them do it again since then, but keep an eye out for it; it was mixed in with all of the other vendors selling things

That was genius. I know they did it a few times and I saw it both at DLR for the half and then at WDW for the full. However, @dancingtodisney , I would suggest looking back at any race reports (in this thread or their own on the runnning board) to get an idea of what to expect. The locations are pretty consistent, as well as a bunch of the same characters.

The 2013 Wine and Dine evening temp before race was around 72F / 22C and it dropped throughout the run into the 60sF / 17-18C. There was some humidity in the air and so after the run and the sweat I was cold. Glad I brought a sweatshirt and it kept me warm. I also wore my sweatshirt before I had to hand off my bag.

Pretty much what I would expect, and I seem to recall the inaugural being a bit warmer than that. Or maybe it was just the humidity that was killer. It is always a good idea to have a change of warm clothes for after a race, especially one where you may plan on hanging out for a few hours at a party. And heck, throwing a pack of baby wipes in your bag to clean up a bit doesn't hurt either.

dancingtodisney

I'm pretty sure there are no pacers for W&D. Even when they do have pacers, I find they're often difficult to use.

Thanks for your reply, I imagine if we do use pacers it would only be as a reference point if they were running close to us at the time, I don't plan on following a pacer. I will be using the nike running app to keep an eye on my pace so hopefully that'll be all I need, it's what I've run with since starting training.

Oh that would be great, I will definitely keep an eye out for that!

dancingtodisney

That was genius. I know they did it a few times and I saw it both at DLR for the half and then at WDW for the full. However, @dancingtodisney , I would suggest looking back at any race reports (in this thread or their own on the runnning board) to get an idea of what to expect. The locations are pretty consistent, as well as a bunch of the same characters.

Ye I've been reading loads of the race reports mainly just because I'm so excited but yes you're right it would be a good way to get some idea of where I plan to stop.

I was thinking with all the frozen fun happing in Hollywood Studios (and this new desert party premium event they've announced for November) we may incur some Frozen themed fun there. Fingers crossed!

dancingtodisney

Around this time last year, the waivers, guide and corrals were out. Keep your eyes peeled, folks! :)

I fly down to Disney 1 week from Sunday, squueeeeeeee

1 Week?? Are you staying out there until the Marathon or do you have a seperate trip booked?

I've been checking for the official race programme but no sign yet... Do we receive an e-mail with the waivers and corrals?

Ariel484

1 Week?? Are you staying out there until the Marathon or do you have a seperate trip booked?

I've been checking for the official race programme but no sign yet... Do we receive an e-mail with the waivers and corrals?
It seems like @Ariel484 is always going down there. I'm beginning to think she lives there and vacations in Cleveland.
Typo! I meant one MONTH from Sunday. :) No extra trip booked.

dancingtodisney

Typo! I meant one MONTH from Sunday. :) No extra trip booked.

Ah ok, I was getting serious envy right there lol :cautious:

Still though a month isn't that long at all now, I feel like I've been waiting on this trip FOREVER! Is Will coming with you this time as well? I remember in your TR from last year you were delighted he was running the 5km.

Ariel484

Ah ok, I was getting serious envy right there lol :cautious:

Still though a month isn't that long at all now, I feel like I've been waiting on this trip FOREVER! Is Will coming with you this time as well? I remember in your TR from last year you were delighted he was running the 5km.
No, he's not coming this year. :(

Girls weekend instead! :)

dancingtodisney

No, he's not coming this year. :(

Girls weekend instead! :)

Oooh even better, are there many going with you? I'm glad I have my sister and boyf running with me but I'm a bit bummed that there will be nobody I know attending as a spectator. Are all the girls coming with you running?

Ariel484

Oooh even better, are there many going with you? I'm glad I have my sister and boyf running with me but I'm a bit bummed that there will be nobody I know attending as a spectator. Are all the girls coming with you running?
There will be 6 of us total...3 of us are running the Jingle Jungle 5K, 4 of us are running the half...all plan on eating and drinking around the World Showcase a LOT. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom