Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

tdpolo26

so out of curiousity is there any way to get in on the race still.... been watching for months and nothing... it sold out way to quick ... all that is left are charities that want you to raise tons of money for what is surely a waste because they will blow the money

HRHPrincessAriel

so out of curiousity is there any way to get in on the race still.... been watching for months and nothing... it sold out way to quick ... all that is left are charities that want you to raise tons of money for what is surely a waste because they will blow the money
What do you mean by your last statement?

Ariel484

so out of curiousity is there any way to get in on the race still.... been watching for months and nothing... it sold out way to quick ...
Nope. The race is less than 6 weeks away and sold out months ago (late February/early March).
all that is left are charities that want you to raise tons of money for what is surely a waste because they will blow the money
...what?

tdpolo26

What do you mean by your last statement?

Nope. The race is less than 6 weeks away and sold out months ago (late February/early March).

...what?

yeah its political shouldn't have brought it up ....basically a lot of charities only use small percentage to help the situation or people it should help... and having to fund raise 500 to 1000 dollars for a charity I know nothing about is tuff... again my problem should have looked sooner but didn't know we were going till end of march.

to be honest I spoke to soon as I look through those charities they actually rank very well but hitting people up for money is not my thing I guess.... I get annoyed cause after research a lot of charities that call my house are a scam as almost nothing goes to help people i.e. chiefs of police

guess I should have figured that Disney would background check any of them... so I shouldn't have spoken before researching...

suggestion to all check before you donate.... some charities are a real scam

dancingtodisney

What time do people normally aim to be at the race for?? On the official site it says to board a bus no later than 8pm. I would like to meet a character or two before the race if possible.

P.S 24days #justsayin

dreamfinder

What time do people normally aim to be at the race for?? On the official site it says to board a bus no later than 8pm. I would like to meet a character or two before the race if possible.

P.S 24days #justsayin

If it says on bus by 8, then that is pretty much the last time they will be loading buses to go to the start area. If you are on a bus by then you will make the start of the race, if you aren't, well no promises. If you cut it late towards the end of the bus pickup, you should be dropped off no later than 8:30ish (assuming you still have to wait a bus or two to get on). Figure 45 mins or so before they start telling runners to get in their corrals. And it may even be sooner than that, runDisney seems to like to have almost everyone in their corrals 30 mins before gun time. Yeah, there are a few stragglers, but they push for that early prep time so no one misses the start. Seeing characters at that point may be tough. The only W&D I did was the first one, but I recall the lines for the characters pre race being pretty gosh darn long and slow. Don't know if they still even do them as they have pulled them from pre 5k, assuming so that no one complains about being cut off in line because of that 30 mins corral window they like.

When it comes to a runDisney race, especially one where you are relying on their transit, get used to spending time hanging out and waiting around. It comes with a race of this size and complexity.

dancingtodisney

If it says on bus by 8, then that is pretty much the last time they will be loading buses to go to the start area. If you are on a bus by then you will make the start of the race, if you aren't, well no promises. If you cut it late towards the end of the bus pickup, you should be dropped off no later than 8:30ish (assuming you still have to wait a bus or two to get on). Figure 45 mins or so before they start telling runners to get in their corrals. And it may even be sooner than that, runDisney seems to like to have almost everyone in their corrals 30 mins before gun time. Yeah, there are a few stragglers, but they push for that early prep time so no one misses the start. Seeing characters at that point may be tough. The only W&D I did was the first one, but I recall the lines for the characters pre race being pretty gosh darn long and slow. Don't know if they still even do them as they have pulled them from pre 5k, assuming so that no one complains about being cut off in line because of that 30 mins corral window they like.

When it comes to a runDisney race, especially one where you are relying on their transit, get used to spending time hanging out and waiting around. It comes with a race of this size and complexity.

Thanks for the detailed response. I would really like to get some of the pre-race photos so I imagine I’ll be heading over before the 8pm mark. Do they send everyone to the corrals at the same time so even if you’re not one of the first corrals to be let go you would still head at the same time as say corral A? I’m totally new to this and to running in general so any tips on what to do while waiting to set off would be great! I presume most people try to sit in the corral and keep warm? I read about those foil blankets so I might pick one of them up.

FerretAfros

Is it worth it to rely on their transit or better for my friend and I to catch a cab?
I always think it's best to use their transportation. As long as you show up on time to catch a bus, you'll make it to the race on time. There's no telling what would happen with a cab or friend. Additionally, since it's a point-to-point race, everybody has to park at Epcot and get bused in; I'm not sure if you could get dropped of at WWOS if you wanted to

As for characters, they had some in chef outfits last year, and they were among the longest character queues I've ever seen (second only to before the 5K that morning). Because they need to shut down the WWOS access road before the race, everybody has to spend a couple hours there; with nothing else to do, everybody gets in line for a character. I would guess that the queues were each at least 200 people long, and were limited in size by the fenced-in area of the field

And as I learned the hard way last year, do yourself a favor and wear/bring bug spray. You're spending ~2 hours in a seldom-used field in Florida just after dusk: need I say more?

FerretAfros

Thanks for the detailed response. I would really like to get some of the pre-race photos so I imagine I’ll be heading over before the 8pm mark. Do they send everyone to the corrals at the same time so even if you’re not one of the first corrals to be let go you would still head at the same time as say corral A? I’m totally new to this and to running in general so any tips on what to do while waiting to set off would be great! I presume most people try to sit in the corral and keep warm? I read about those foil blankets so I might pick one of them up.
I think they make a couple different announcements for when to go to the corrals, but there's flexibility with it. As soon as they make the first announcement, all of the corrals are open, which will probably be about 45-60 minutes before the race starts. They're right next to the waiting area, so it will only take a couple minutes to walk to your spot if you want to take a last-minute bathroom break (though the lines get long!). The corrals have a phased start, so if you're toward the back you'll have extra time to get to your spot after the first groups start their race

Last year, keeping warm wasn't an issue since it was in the 70's. If it's cold, I'd definitely recommend bringing something to keep warm, whether a foil blanket, old sweatshirt to discard, or a simple trash bag. If you want to do a pre-race warm-up, there's not a lot of extra space in the corrals, so you'd need to do that before entering the corral

LindsayLoves

Is it worth it to rely on their transit or better for my friend and I to catch a cab?

I just double checked the race program from last year and it says that there will be NO guest drop off or parking at WWoS on race evening (they printed it all caps, so it must be serious). If you are driving or getting dropped off they say you need to do so at Epcot and take a shuttle to WWoS for the start of the race. So your only option for this race is to take a Disney shuttle.

(see pages 34/35 for that info)
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wine-dine/Wine&Dine13_Program.pdf

When they say you need to be on a bus by 8pm they mean it. If you get in line at your resort at 8pm you will see a hopelessly long line which means you might not actually get on a bus until 8:30-8:45 which could result in you getting to the race late. Earlier is always better, yes there is more waiting around but it is a whole lot less stressful than being on a bus knowing the race starts in 15 minutes (there are plenty of reports of people missing the official starts of Disney races because they got the latest possible shuttle to the start)

Ariel484

They did have 1 HUGE character line before the JJ5K last year. It was cut off almost immediately after we got in line.

Last year there were 4 separate character lines before W&D - Mickey, Minnie (I THINK, may have been Donald), Chipmunks and Goofy. The Mickey line was insane, way longer than the other 3. Even longer than that were the porta-potty lines. There's also a DJ like all Disney races, so the time goes by quickly.

Disney transportation was really good for me (I was at French Quarter).

dancingtodisney

I think they make a couple different announcements for when to go to the corrals, I'd definitely recommend bringing something to keep warm, whether a foil blanket, old sweatshirt to discard, or a simple trash bag.

Thanks for the tips, I never would have thought of bug spray!!

Earlier is always better, yes there is more waiting around but it is a whole lot less stressful than being on a bus knowing the race starts in 15 minutes (there are plenty of reports of people missing the official starts of Disney races because they got the latest possible shuttle to the start)

Ye I don’t fancy being stressed out trying to get there so I’ll be heading early just in case, plus with it being my first RunDisney event I’m sure I’ll be more than entertained by the pre-race fun!

Last year there were 4 separate character lines before W&D - Mickey, Minnie (I THINK, may have been Donald), Chipmunks and Goofy. The Mickey line was insane, way longer than the other 3. Even longer than that were the porta-potty lines. There's also a DJ like all Disney races, so the time goes by quickly.

Chef Goofy would be my first choice! Then Minnie so hopefully I can get those too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom