Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

surfsupdon

Oh that sounds nice! We were thinking a pizza from Via Napoli or something along those lines. We will have the dining plan hence wanting to have a ADR and a sit down meal. We also considered a big lunch instead. Typical for me that I'm thinking about the food already lol

I try to really carb up 2 nights before, so that would be Thurs for dinner. Then Friday dinner I do heavy protein...steak and wings and quinoi. Then Sat, race day, I shoot for a lunch of protein and a dinner of pizza. Then I pig out at the food kiosks, lol.

dancingtodisney

I try to really carb up 2 nights before, so that would be Thurs for dinner. Then Friday dinner I do heavy protein...steak and wings and quinoi. Then Sat, race day, I shoot for a lunch of protein and a dinner of pizza. Then I pig out at the food kiosks, lol.

Sounds like a plan!! I think we'll stick with Via Napoli then. I had to google quinoi, I've never heard of it before!

I'm hoping I have the energy to enjoy the post race pig out... Are the afters in Epcot much fun?

Ariel484

Signed up today via a travel agent! What did I get myself into lol
Awesomeness.
Sounds like a plan!! I think we'll stick with Via Napoli then. I had to google quinoi, I've never heard of it before!

I'm hoping I have the energy to enjoy the post race pig out... Are the afters in Epcot much fun?
Via Napoli is my pre-race meal of choice in WDW. I'd definitely recommend picking something you have had before and you know agrees with your stomach.

As for the after-party...I didn't make it there last year due to an injury. :grumpy: Can anyone else weigh in? I've heard sort of mixed reviews (short lines for rides, long rides for booths, spectators that have been waiting since the party opened are hammered :D).

FerretAfros

I got in to the park somewhat early last year for runners (probably around 12:30 by the time I was in the gate), and I didn't think it was too bad. The course crosswalk was a huge bottleneck, but that was the only real crowd I saw. There were parts of World Showcase that were completely empty; I sat on a bench near Japan for a while and was the only non-CM anywhere near the pavilion

Early on and toward the end the booths were completely empty of crowds, but I did see some with 5-10 people waiting toward the middle of the event. They were operating fully staffed, so I assume those queues moved quickly (I only visited ones without waits). I was back in the park the next afternoon and the queues were at least 3 times longer than the longest queues I saw the night before, though it was the last day for F&W so that might not be 'normal'

EDIT: We only rode Maelstrom and Soarin', but both were total walk-ons. We were on the last flight of the night for Soarin', and they were making fun announcements about it being a red-eye flight. I was disappointed to see that almost all of the 'normal' pavilion shops and restaurants throughout FW & WS were closed during the party

Texas84

Via Napoli is a great idea. Didn't think about that.

This will be my third W&D. It's a bunch of crazy runners and yes, there is drinking going on, but it isn't normal F&W 'drunkytown' level. I was surprised by the CMs. I figured they would be a little annoyed having to stay up all night but every one we dealt with was having fun. Or pretending! They were great.

First year we did rides, all walk-on, then next year we hit the booths. It got a bit chilly and we left about 3 AM.

dancingtodisney

Awesomeness.

Via Napoli is my pre-race meal of choice in WDW. I'd definitely recommend picking something you have had before and you know agrees with your stomach.

As for the after-party...I didn't make it there last year due to an injury. :grumpy: Can anyone else weigh in? I've heard sort of mixed reviews (short lines for rides, long rides for booths, spectators that have been waiting since the party opened are hammered :D).

I actually got the idea for Via Napoli from your TR :joyfull:

Also know this from the TR (swear I'm not a stalker :oops:)! Hopefully you'll get to experience it properly this year! There will be 3 of us running so I'm hoping we're all in a fit state to enjoy the the after party. Did I read something about rare characters being out?? That would be sweeeeeet :D

dancingtodisney

I got in to the park somewhat early last year for runners (probably around 12:30 by the time I was in the gate), and I didn't think it was too bad. The course crosswalk was a huge bottleneck, but that was the only real crowd I saw. There were parts of World Showcase that were completely empty; I sat on a bench near Japan for a while and was the only non-CM anywhere near the pavilion

Early on and toward the end the booths were completely empty of crowds, but I did see some with 5-10 people waiting toward the middle of the event. They were operating fully staffed, so I assume those queues moved quickly (I only visited ones without waits). I was back in the park the next afternoon and the queues were at least 3 times longer than the longest queues I saw the night before, though it was the last day for F&W so that might not be 'normal'

EDIT: We only rode Maelstrom and Soarin', but both were total walk-ons. We were on the last flight of the night for Soarin', and they were making fun announcements about it being a red-eye flight. I was disappointed to see that almost all of the 'normal' pavilion shops and restaurants throughout FW & WS were closed during the party

Sounds like it will be alright for crowds, it'll be a real treat to be in the World Showcase that late at night :D

Soaring sounds fun and it's not often you get to walk on!

So did they have special stands for the W&D runners? But the Food and Wine ones were all closed??

Ariel484

I actually got the idea for Via Napoli from your TR :joyfull:
:D
Also know this from the TR (swear I'm not a stalker :oops:)! Hopefully you'll get to experience it properly this year! There will be 3 of us running so I'm hoping we're all in a fit state to enjoy the the after party. Did I read something about rare characters being out?? That would be sweeeeeet :D
No worries, that's what I get for oversharing on the internet! :p And thanks...I'm really NOT hoping for a repeat of 2013.

Rare characters on the course, yes. I'm not sure about the after-party...I've seen pictures of the characters in their chef gear but didn't make it there myself.
Sounds like it will be alright for crowds, it'll be a real treat to be in the World Showcase that late at night :D

Soaring sounds fun and it's not often you get to walk on!

So did they have special stands for the W&D runners? But the Food and Wine ones were all closed??
From reading @FerretAfros post I think the F&W stands were the only things open...the regular food/shops in World Showcase that are always there were mostly closed.

dancingtodisney

Via Napoli is a great idea. Didn't think about that.

This will be my third W&D. It's a bunch of crazy runners and yes, there is drinking going on, but it isn't normal F&W 'drunkytown' level. I was surprised by the CMs. I figured they would be a little annoyed having to stay up all night but every one we dealt with was having fun. Or pretending! They were great.

First year we did rides, all walk-on, then next year we hit the booths. It got a bit chilly and we left about 3 AM.

3rd?? Well experienced at this then! This will not only be my first Disney run but also my first run over 10km (and I use the term 'run' lightly in that respect)...

I've started training now though and plan to actually run a 10k in July.

I will most certainly be having a drink after the race, I imagine that will be the only thing to keep me going, plus I'm Irish and that's how we celebrate all achievements/failures/good days/bad days etc. :hungover:

Ooooh now that's got me thinking as to what my post race drink choice will be (after the free one)

Glad to hear the CM's were in good spirits! :D

dancingtodisney

:D

No worries, that's what I get for oversharing on the internet! :p And thanks...I'm really NOT hoping for a repeat of 2013.

Rare characters on the course, yes. I'm not sure about the after-party...I've seen pictures of the characters in their chef gear but didn't make it there myself.

From reading @FerretAfros post I think the F&W stands were the only things open...the regular food/shops in World Showcase that are always there were mostly closed.

Haha well it was your 'oversharing' that enlightened me to the existence of Disney runs! You should be on commission :D

Ah ok... I think we've already decided our times will be hurt by the characters along the way.... I'm very excited about Mickey and Minnie in their sports gear, is the only place to get that one at the finish line? I've heard Mickey does be at the start as well in other TR's.

Ah that makes sense..... F&W and FW are easily confused lol

Ariel484

Haha well it was your 'oversharing' that enlightened me to the existence of Disney runs! You should be on commission :D
I'd be okay with that! :D

I learned about Disney runs from another trip report on this board!
Ah ok... I think we've already decided our times will be hurt by the characters along the way.... I'm very excited about Mickey and Minnie in their sports gear, is the only place to get that one at the finish line? I've heard Mickey does be at the start as well in other TR's.

Ah that makes sense..... F&W and FW are easily confused lol
I don't think you'll see the characters in their track suits. They seem to have the classic characters dress to match the theme of the weekend (i.e. royal attire for the Princess Half). From what I have seen they wear the track suits for Marathon Weekend in January. Mickey was in a chef's hat at the W&D finish and Minnie was wearing an apron...but it seems like they're trying to discourage getting your photo taken with them at the finish line (probably to prevent runners from crossing the course, running into people, etc. - which I totally understand). The CMs won't take the photo for you anymore.
WnDEdit-246.jpg

This is when you make friends with the runners around you and they will take your picture for you (after you VERY CAREFULLY cross the course when there's no one else around or make sure to let those that ARE around know that you are going to stop, of course) :D
WnDEdit-247.jpg

New-to-me characters on the course were the ostrich and hippo from Fantasia, Timon, Darth Vader and Boba Fett. It didn't seem like there were as many compared to the morning races. Of course, it could change this year, especially since it's the 5th anniversary.

dancingtodisney

I'd be okay with that! :D

I learned about Disney runs from another trip report on this board!

I don't think you'll see the characters in their track suits. They seem to have the classic characters dress to match the theme of the weekend (i.e. royal attire for the Princess Half). From what I have seen they wear the track suits for Marathon Weekend in January. Mickey was in a chef's hat at the W&D finish and Minnie was wearing an apron...but it seems like they're trying to discourage getting your photo taken with them at the finish line (probably to prevent runners from crossing the course, running into people, etc. - which I totally understand). The CMs won't take the photo for you anymore.
New-to-me characters on the course were the ostrich and hippo from Fantasia, Timon, Darth Vader and Boba Fett. It didn't seem like there were as many compared to the morning races. Of course, it could change this year, especially since it's the 5th anniversary.

It's great having the TR's cause you find out so much more than just reading up about the events themselves.

Darn it, I really wanted one with them in their tracksuits :grumpy:

Luckily I'll have two 'friends' at the ready assuming we've not fallen out before then :eek:

Timon and Darth Vader would be pretty awesome! :D
Be good if they have a few extras for the anniversary.....

surfsupdon

The earlier you finish the less cowds are at the party. ;) Let that drive you to keep running!

Soarin and Test Track were walk ons when I got to them around midnight. Rode each twice. The WS Promenade filled up as the night went on, but it was nowehere near a normal Epcot day crowd. I also don't think I waited more than 2 deep at any food kiosk.

It is and always was an awesome night. Lots of fun, lots of energy. Ahhh I cant wait!

dancingtodisney

The earlier you finish the less cowds are at the party. ;) Let that drive you to keep running!

Soarin and Test Track were walk ons when I got to them around midnight. Rode each twice. The WS Promenade filled up as the night went on, but it was nowehere near a normal Epcot day crowd. I also don't think I waited more than 2 deep at any food kiosk.

It is and always was an awesome night. Lots of fun, lots of energy. Ahhh I cant wait!

Oooooh you're getting me all excited now :p

It sounds great, now all I have to worry about is my training!

Are you coming to Disney just for the weekend? Coming all the way from Dublin we've got 2 and a half weeks but unfortunately the run falls towards the end of our trip so we'll have to make sure not to tire ourselves out and to still get some training in!

I pre-ordered the W&D necklace, do you normally get some of the memorabilia?

surfsupdon

Oooooh you're getting me all excited now :p

It sounds great, now all I have to worry about is my training!

Are you coming to Disney just for the weekend? Coming all the way from Dublin we've got 2 and a half weeks but unfortunately the run falls towards the end of our trip so we'll have to make sure not to tire ourselves out and to still get some training in!

I pre-ordered the W&D necklace, do you normally get some of the memorabilia?

Yes, I am headed to Disney just for the race, for an extended weekend trip Wed night--Sun afternoon. All of our trips now coincide with an event, it brings something extra.

I do not buy the pins and stuff.

FerretAfros

That's right. So all of the temporary booths were open, but the 'regular' stuff was closed. Most WS countries also had booths, so it wasn't a huge issue, but we were disappointed that the Norway bakery was closed and that they didn't have a Norway booth

There were a couple exceptions (like the permanent kiosks facing the promenade in Japan and American Adventure), but the permanent locations were mostly deserted. This did give me the opportunity to walk around in completely empty pavilions though, which was really neat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom