Disney web site down

Pacha

Main WDW page is working, Special Offer page is still not accessible with an HTTP ERROR 500 message. Not sure about other areas of the site. Guess the issue is being worked on.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Must be more than we will ever know. There has to be something major. This company like any large company would have multiple redundant backups and the public would never know there was a problem. I bet someone is in big trouble since then cannot take room orders on a Sunday.

Based on Disney's history I would not make that assumption, Also remember they outsourced much of their IT to Cognizant so the night shift in India caught the brunt of this issue.

mgpan

Website HTP Error 500 unavailable at 11:20 EST today but MDE working. If you needed something I guess you call 407 number? assistance?

rob0519

Based on Disney's history I would not make that assumption, Also remember they outsourced much of their IT to Cognizant so the night shift in India caught the brunt of this issue.

The cost of a completely redundant system that can seamlessly engage during a hardware or software failure is incredibly expensive. Based on the timing of a Sunday morning, I would guess there was some maintenance happening overnight (Sunday midnight to 6:00 AM is probably the slowest time of the week) and there were issues that either needed to be corrected or backed out completely.

As for the proficiency of the third shift offshore support, you may have a valid point. Our company uses them for overnight support and installs as well. Most of the time things go well, but others time can be a bit of an adventure until the primary support teams get woken up.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The cost of a completely redundant system that can seamlessly engage during a hardware or software failure is incredibly expensive. Based on the timing of a Sunday morning, I would guess there was some maintenance happening overnight (Sunday midnight to 6:00 AM is probably the slowest time of the week) and there were issues that either needed to be corrected or backed out completely.

As for the proficiency of the third shift offshore support, you may have a valid point. Our company uses them for overnight support and installs as well. Most of the time things go well, but others time can be a bit of an adventure until the primary support teams get woken up.

Having been on the architecture team which built similar systems I'm well aware of the expense, Also I'm told Disney is not a mom-n-pop company with the tech savvy kids running the tech operations.

The way one runs a system like this is with 3 systems Production,Staging and test.

Generally what we did during major updates is we pushed changes to staging aand then did a DNS swap so the production servers became the staging and the staging became production. In the event of a bug production could be restored simply by swapping DNS.

It appears that Disney does all their changes on production otherwise maintenance would not bring them down.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Let's face it the overnight teams of ANY company in any country are not going to be the 'A' team they are there to take calls monitor operations and basically do the 'cold iron watch' one of their skills is STAYING AWAKE during the overnight which is a real trick at 3AM anywhere in the world.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

WOW I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars they are loosing right now.

Yes - this would be the issue with ANY company attempting to do serious business over the Internet.
Sadly, Disney is not serious (yet) about a BUSINESS Internet presence. I would suggest....

CALL CALL CALL CALL.... As they tire of the calling, and associated costs? Things might perhaps change :).
Consider - when was the last time you had to CALL Amazon.com? :).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom