Disney was Stupid

djlaosc

*...tries to refrain from typing a long, drawn out rebuttal...*

According to WDW1974 last year, one plan from Disney for Harry Potter was "Harry Potter Midway Mania" - 'Nuff said... ;)

Yes. It did. Sadly.

It was just one concept, but they thought a wand ride with screens similar to TSMM through a castle with limited sets and effects would be a great ride. They were wrong ...right?

This is your first post on the first day of joining the forums? To bash Universal?

My troll sense is tingling.
Yes it is. I wasn't even going to join and say anything until I saw someone say that Disney would have given us the 'Reader's Digest' version of Harry Potter. It amazed me that people really have that low of an opinion of Disney on a site devoted primarily to Disney news and forums. IoA was terrible and WWoHP was disappointing. I could see the differences in quality in every aspect of the park. If this is a thread about how Disney was stupid to pass up Harry Potter, why can I not comment on why I completely agree and how much better I think Disney could have done it?

GLaDOS

Yes it is. I wasn't even going to join and say anything until I saw someone say that Disney would have given us the 'Reader's Digest' version of Harry Potter. It amazed me that people really have that low of an opinion of Disney on a site devoted primarily to Disney news and forums. IoA was terrible and WWoHP was disappointing. I could see the differences in quality in every aspect of the park. If this is a thread about how Disney was stupid to pass up Harry Potter, why can I not comment on why I completely agree and how much better I think Disney could have done it?

IoA is a world class theme park, and your view of it is either HEAVILY manufactured (a lie) or your Disney bias made you see things that, frankly, don't exist at IoA since Potter opened.

I can't comment on the newest stuff, because the new Fantasyland opened after I visited last year. But on rides in general at Disney, the Tower of Terror is amazing, and I loved pointing out those little details in the 'maintenance' area where you wait right before you get on the ride to my nephews. Of course, the Aerosmith Rockin Roller Coaster was amazing as well. As far as Epcot, Turtle Time with Crush was a huge hit with my kids, and who can deny that Soarin is one of the best rides out there? In Magic Kingdom, my family tends towards meet and greets, and Merida in the Fairytale Garden made my daughter's day with all the extra attention she showered on her, from waking the bears to a personalized message in her autograph book. We have had nothing but wonderful experiences in every Disney park and hotel that we have visited. That's why they have earned my loyalty.

BryceM

It's because what you originally stated was completely rude and biased. You clearly admitted to everyone on how biased your opinions are with your cute little "spoiled by Disney, I guess" comments. Clearly you went in with a terrible attitude, and it reflected on how you enjoyed yourself and how you viewed the park.

If you think that Universal's Islands of Adventure (one of the best theme parks in the world) is a terrible park, than you must be delirious. Sorry that you saw some trash and chipped paint. Care to take a ride on the Maelstrom and view the beautiful moldy ceilings and exposed animatronic parts? And guess what? That's at a Disney park.

JT3000

If Disney could do Potter better, they would at least show some proof in their other projects. So where is it? And don't say Soarin'. It should be called Borin'.

I'm waiting for them to use the word "junky." Or would that be too obvious?​

cheezbat

The big problem is not that Disney can't make amazing attractions that wow us...it's that at WDW they DON'T anymore. It's been years since anything phenomenal that still works was created.
It's pretty sad that I have to think all the way back to 1994...Tower of Terror to think of WDWs last amazing blow you away attraction. 19 years folks. We're just handing Disney our money and letting them get away with mediocre.

Anyway, to reply to the original poster, I completely disagree with your opinions...and the only way I could see Islands being as bad as it was for you would be if it was one of the busiest days of the year. I have encountered days like you had at ALL of the central Florida theme parks. Reslistucally though, as someone who visits Uni/IOA at least every two weeks, I rarely witness a rude team member, or broken rides, or chipping paint. The only time I had seen a trash can overflowing was the week of Christmas to New Years...but then again the parks were absolutely packed.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Disney had first crack at Harry Potter and JK Rowling passed. Why? Because Disney wasn't willing to build what is Universal right now! They wanted to build Harry Potter Midway Mania and have Meet and Greets with Harry and his friends.

They only themimg problem I had when I went to WWOHP was the snow. It's hard to stare at snow when it's 80 degrees in February. As for the buildings, the theming is perfect! All the moving objects in the shop windows and the great displays. The buildings are cramped but the fit the theme of the movie/book building exactly.

$6 for a Pumpkin juice that comes is a themed bottle is in line with Disney's drink pricing for similar specialty drinks LeFu's Brew is $5 without a specialty themed bottle or cup $ 10 with the themed cup.

JafarMaleficent

The reson they did the snow is because of the fact the only visit hogsmeade in the winter. Plus the butterbeer in a non themed cup is like $4. Which is cheaper then lefou's brew which I don't like. A non frozen variant would be good. I'm happy universal got potter they knocked it out of the park. Plus it brought up their attendence so they could bring us the great addtions that are coming in the next few years. Universal is a lot like Disneyland to me, they know their core visitors are season pass holders. They keep plussing to make them happy. WDW has lost a lot of pass holders that I know thanks to the decline in matnanice (sp?) And the rude cast members they have seen. I'm ok with uni getting potter, they've kept it working properly and have revitalzed the theme park wars.

AswaySuller

who can deny that Soarin is one of the best rides out there?

Um I can! It's mediocre at best, if you're not in the top middle section you can see the curves/people's feet. It's grainier than some of my grandmas old cine films and its wait time is always atrocious.

It's hardly a classic it's just the best of a bad bunch of TDO built attractions in the last 10 years.[/quote]

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The reson they did the snow is because of the fact the only visit hogsmeade in the winter. Plus the butterbeer in a non themed cup is like $4. Which is cheaper then lefou's brew which I don't like. A non frozen variant would be good. I'm happy universal got potter they knocked it out of the park. Plus it brought up their attendence so they could bring us the great addtions that are coming in the next few years. Universal is a lot like Disneyland to me, they know their core visitors are season pass holders. They keep plussing to make them happy. WDW has lost a lot of pass holders that I know thanks to the decline in matnanice (sp?) And the rude cast members they have seen. I'm ok with uni getting potter, they've kept it working properly and have revitalzed the theme park wars.
They may have only shown the winter visits in the movies but the did visit other times in the books. ;)

AswaySuller

It's possible Rowling requested the snow seeing as she had so much creative control...

It's strange some people have issue with it, I personally never have had a problem with it.

I find it funny that while in a land based on a story about a boy wizard who attends a school just for other child wizards who has to run through a wall to get the train to this mystical place who's best friend has a flying car who has a broomstick in a land of dragons and spells....

That people find the snow on the roofs unbelievable.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
It's possible Rowling requested the snow seeing as she had so much creative control...

It's strange some people have issue with it, I personally never have had a problem with it.

I find it funny that while in a land based on a story about a boy wizard who attends a school just for other child wizards who has to run through a wall to get the train to this mystical place who's best friend has a flying car who has a broomstick in a land of dragons and spells....

That people find the snow on the roofs unbelievable.
The snow looks good just not my taste I guess. When I said to my husband it's to hot for snow. He said what you don't think there's a spell for snow that doesn't melt.

bubbles1812

Original Poster
This thread was basically meant to point out that Disney was stupid to pass up Potter from a monetary/getting people to visit perspective. I NEVER said I thought Disney would do it better. In fact, I don't think they would have. They would have spent way too much for too little as is their MO these days. FJ would never has happened. From your post, its pretty clear you went in wanting to dislike Universal and never looked back. Much of what you complained about universal has already or is addressing... Much of what you complained about is also ridiculous. Disney cuts and cuts and cuts on projects..NFE can be used as a case in point there. Cute nice but nothing that special at the end of the day. I love the parks but they are fairly stale in terms of new things added that are actually impressive and Disney no longer puts in the effort on projects they once did that doesn't involve Next Gen crap.

Also, that you point out chipped paint is absolutely laughable. Universal has been slowing repainting Suessland... Which is a lot more than I can say for Disney. Take a look around the parks and you'll find plenty of chipped paint. And it's pretty easy to find an overflowing trash can, yes, even at Disney. And both parks do a good job of emptying them but they get full nonetheless.

As others already pointed out, soarin is pretty tired and needs a revamp... The film is extremely grainy. It's not even in HD. But sure HP was grainy... Yeah...

It's pretty obvious you put on your rose colored glasses in Disney if you are that blind to the fact that it has flaws, as it appears you are. And you went into Universal expecting Princess Merida to pop out and greet you rather than actually looking at the park. Your first posts are really really suspect for trolling. Sorry.

SleepingMonk

Yes, Disney could and would have done it better.

firefly.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom