Disney was Stupid

bubbles1812

Original Poster
Sorry was looking for a place to put this but didnt see one that fit so I decided just to make one. So call this my Universal trip report I guess. But it's more just my thoughts on the Islands of Adventure. Will talk more tomorrow about Universal.

Anyways... Wow! I had a lot of fun today. But as per the title of my thread I want to speak first about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I was so impressed with the area. All told, it isn't even that big but it is so immersive you don't really notice.

So the rides; The FJ was as good as I have been told. That is seriously the type of ride Disney needs to be creating. If anyone tells you that it is just a bunch of video screens they are dead wrong and clearly haven't ridden it. The queue was spectacular as expected as well. All the moving portraits were entertaining and there was just a whole lot of detail in each room. While a wait is still a wait, at least that one is an interesting and fairly entertaining wait.

The little hippogriff roller coaster is very cute. Normally I'd pass on something like that but the queue was so great I had to ride it. And the AA hippogriff startled the crap out of me because I was busy taking pictures. The only ride that could really use some work is probably the Dragon Challenge. The queue was probably the least detailed of the three but still very fun with all the signs. I'd say the actual roller coasters are needing a paint job soon.

Shops and Dining: I I really enjoyed the butter beer and I'm not usually a cream soda kind of a gal. So congrats to a universal on that. My mom was downing mine so quickly I maybe got half of it lol. However, my actually fav was the pumpkin juice. Loved the spices you could taste in it and I like pumpkin. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't been willing to give it a try

We also tried out the Three Broomsticks. My mom and I split a meal that was just 8.00! I think my mom fell over at that price. Much cheaper than Disney. And pretty tasty too. I got the Cornish pasties (was trying to be brave ;) ) and those turned out to be quite good. If I got back tomorrow (likely) I will be trying the Shepard's Pie next!

So now the shops. I didnt do Ollivanders, will do that tomorrow, but we looked at everything else. This is where I absolutely fell in love with the area. I just loved looking at all the window displays. Every one of them had such great detail. My particular fav was the raven picking out the skeleton's eyeball (not as gross as it sounds) and also the mandrakes. Heck even the bathrooms had detail with Moaning Myrtle muttering over the intercom.

Disney was stupid. I will say that again. Disney was stupid. Really stupid. By passing on Potter they threw away a veritable gold mine. The merchandise was impressive and unique. And straight out of the books/movies. No Universal general merchandise sold there! Virtually everyone in the parks had a HP bag. And this is my true measure of how stupid Disney was to pass on HP... My mom and I do not buy souvenirs, especially at Disney. It's the same stuff from 5 years ago. I get a magnet a mug and maybe a snow globe or plush. But we dropped 100 easy today at HP.

So Universal got not only two days of my 5 day trip (something that would never have happened a few years ago), my dining money for two days, but also my souvenir money... Yeah. Universal is doing something right.

*I'll add more later of my thoughts on the rest of the park as well as Universal theme park itself later.

Matt7187

Disney was stupid. I will say that again. Disney was stupid. Really stupid. By passing on Potter they threw away a veritable gold mine. The merchandise was impressive and unique. And straight out of the books/movies. No Universal general merchandise sold there! Virtually everyone in the parks had a HP bag. And this is my true measure of how stupid Disney was to pass on HP... My mom and I do not buy souvenirs, especially at Disney. It's the same stuff from 5 years ago. I get a magnet a mug and maybe a snow globe or plush. But we dropped 100 easy today at HP.
I agree with what you said, but if jk is done with the series, I see the appeal if hp dying in about 5-7 years IMO. I still am dying to see it, as it looks great. But I still am glad they went after other franchises instead.

Also, I bet you Star Wars will make even more than potter when they get it in DHS. And marvel in dl will outgross hp in Hollywood.

bubbles1812

Original Poster
I agree with what you said, but if jk is done with the series, I see the appeal if hp dying in about 5-7 years IMO. I still am dying to see it, as it looks great. But I still am glad they went after other franchises instead.

Also, I bet you Star Wars will make even more than potter when they get it in DHS. And marvel in dl will outgross hp in Hollywood.
I disagree with you there. HP is clearly a lasting book series. I intend to introduce the books to my kids in the future and I know my friends will do the same... Some of them have even started doing so. It seems Fantasy series have a better chance of lastig thru the years... Look at Narnia or Lord of the Rings. Still being published 50 and 60 years after they were first written. I see HP as one of those. It defined the reading habits of a generation of kids not to mention that adults got into it too. It is not going to be an easily forgotten series as I think you think it could be. Plus, even if you took out the "Harry Potter" label on the area, it is still a freaking cool area. My mom has not read the books and she fell asleep thru a lot of the movies and has not stopped talking about how cool the area is since we left. I didnt buy all those souvenirs just by myself.

Also.. Avatar.. It ain't no Potter. And Star Wars.. You could be right, it might make more money than HP. But oh right... By the time Disney even manages to get more Star Wars into a park Universal will have had opportunity to get another great franchise and potter will have been well established as a destination in Orlando. Star Wars is absolutely positively YEARS away from making it to WDW. It's probably even years away from getting into the international parks as per insiders and logical assumption based on the knowledge how damn slow Disney moves.

Sorry for the long paragraph but I just think you are just plain wrong.

Matt7187

I disagree with you there. HP is clearly a lasting book series. I intend to introduce the books to my kids in the future and I know my friends will do the same... Some of them have even started doing so. It seems Fantasy series have a better chance of lastig thru the years... Look at Narnia or Lord of the Rings. Still being published 50 and 60 years after they were first written. I see HP as one of those. It defined the reading habits of a generation of kids not to mention that adults got into it too. It is not going to be an easily forgotten series as I think you think it could be. Plus, even if you took out the "Harry Potter" label on the area, it is still a freaking cool area. My mom has not read the books and she fell asleep thru a lot of the movies and has not stopped talking about how cool the area is since we left. I didnt buy all those souvenirs just by myself.

Sorry for the long paragraph but I just think your wrong.
We all have our opinions.

bubbles1812

Original Poster
We all have our opinions.
True. And all are entitled to their own. I just don't think yours makes much sense based on the evidence at hand. Sorry. Not trying to be rude. Just don't think the evidence points to yours being right

Also the one marvel ride in DL has been delayed

djlaosc

The only ride that could really use some work is probably the Dragon Challenge. The queue was probably the least detailed of the three but still very fun with all the signs. I'd say the actual roller coasters are needing a paint job soon.

There has been rumour of Dragons Challenge getting work done - I still want them to theme it like the film - paint the dragons the correct colour, add what looks like a stadium around the outside (would hide the bare steel from being seen in Hogsmeade), add a golden egg somewhere on the ground, and cover the ground in rockwork that you also travel through. I don't think it will happen though, unfortunately, but it could be a project that Universal could do over multiple years (ie, paint one year, then add rockwork on the ground the next, then more rockwork, then a stadium), or whenever they have some more money to spend in order to not get taxed (Transformers) - it wouldn't have to be done all at once!

djlaosc

We also tried out the Three Broomsticks. My mom and I split a meal that was just 8.00! I think my mom fell over at that price. Much cheaper than Disney. And pretty tasty too. I got the Cornish pasties (was trying to be brave ;) ) and those turned out to be quite good. If I got back tomorrow (likely) I will be trying the Shepard's Pie next!

As a Brit, The Three Broomsticks was the only place I could find good fish and chips on our last trip. Before this last trip, the only place I could find good fish and chips was in Epcot (Rose and Crown/Yorkshire Fish Company), although last time we went, we were not impressed with Yorkshire Fish Company (and we're wondering whether the removal of "Harry Ramsden" from the sign has changed the way they do things) - very greasy.

Have tried Disney's fish at various places (eg, Columbia Harbor House), Cookes of Dublin's fish and chips, T-REX's fish and chips, and fish and chips at a quick service place beside Jaws (can't remember the name) - but not impressed with any of them - I guess that American's use different fish than we do (we generally use cod and haddock at our take out places, and I've had battered pollock as fish you cook at home - according to Wikipedia, freshwater catfish is most commonly used in the southeast US, so that's probably why.)

I think that others in my party had the Cornish pasties and the Shepherd's pie - and I think that they said that they were good (it's 1am so I can't ask them - I'll try to remember tomorrow)

Disneyhead'71

As a Brit, The Three Broomsticks was the only place I could find good fish and chips on our last trip. Before this last trip, the only place I could find good fish and chips was in Epcot (Rose and Crown/Yorkshire Fish Company), although last time we went, we were not impressed with Yorkshire Fish Company (and we're wondering whether the removal of "Harry Ramsden" from the sign has changed the way they do things) - very greasy.

Have tried Disney's fish at various places (eg, Columbia Harbor House), Cookes of Dublin's fish and chips, T-REX's fish and chips, and fish and chips at a quick service place beside Jaws (can't remember the name) - but not impressed with any of them - I guess that American's use different fish than we do (we generally use cod and haddock at our take out places, and I've had battered pollock as fish you cook at home - according to Wikipedia, freshwater catfish is most commonly used in the southeast US, so that's probably why.)

I think that others in my party had the Cornish pasties and the Shepherd's pie - and I think that they said that they were good (it's 1am so I can't ask them - I'll try to remember tomorrow)
Fennigan's Bar and Grill (Irish Pub) at Universal Studios Florida also has great Fish and Chips made with North Atlantic Cod with Ale Batter.

djlaosc

Fennigan's Bar and Grill (Irish Pub) at Universal Studios Florida also has great Fish and Chips made with North Atlantic Cod with Ale Batter.

That's sit down/table service, isn't it? (but based on what I've read on here, not badly priced). I'm fine with Ale batter (although I don't drink it), so it could be a possibility.

We are talking about staying on-site for a night next time we go, so I could suggest it as an option (although if we go back to The Three Broomsticks, we may not want to have fish and chips more than once over a couple of days).

I've also mentioned Mythos for the (reasonably priced) steak as well, but I think that others have said that they want to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe.

We aren't really table service people, but from what I've read on here, they aren't that badly priced at Universal (compared to Disney).

BryceM

Was this your first trip to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure? I cannot wait to hear the rest of your thoughts on both of these fantastic parks!

JT3000

I'm not sure I agree with you about Potter, but even if it were true, the franchise Disney went after instead is Avatar, the appeal of which is already buried 6 feet deep. Sooo...

bubbles1812

Original Poster
Was this your first trip to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure? I cannot wait to hear the rest of your thoughts on both of these fantastic parks!
It wasnt. But the last time I was there was 2001. So few things have changed since then ;)

Edit: Opps. My mom just reminded me we were at universal in 2006 too. Haha. I get confused on when Florida trips have been..

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Not gonna lie I'm huge Potter Fan! My daughter's first name is a Disney/Potter name yup covered both loves with one name). There are many people like me and the OP who will be sharing the book with their kids as the grow up. They have very popular HP conventions every year and they have been growing since the books ended. You know they will probably remake the movies again in 20 years. That will once again bring in a whole new generation.

Most of the properties in Disney and Universal Parks (heck parks in general) are from old properties Snow White (30s) is getting a new ride. Good Properties stay around if you keep them in the public eye (which is easier to do these days). Harry has a very loyal fan base as long as they nurture it, they will stay around and those fans will share Harry with their kids. They same way generations have shared Snow White.​

Disneyhead'71

That's sit down/table service, isn't it? (but based on what I've read on here, not badly priced). I'm fine with Ale batter (although I don't drink it), so it could be a possibility.

We are talking about staying on-site for a night next time we go, so I could suggest it as an option (although if we go back to The Three Broomsticks, we may not want to have fish and chips more than once over a couple of days).

I've also mentioned Mythos for the (reasonably priced) steak as well, but I think that others have said that they want to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe.

We aren't really table service people, but from what I've read on here, they aren't that badly priced at Universal (compared to Disney).

Yeah, Fennigan's is table service. But as you said, UOR's table service restaurants aren't badly priced. Here is Fennigan's menu with prices:

http://www.universalorlando.com/Images/Finnegans menu_tcm13-32524.pdf

And you can get a Filet at Mythos for $16.99. And the themeing at Mythos is amazing. Since you have done The Three Broomsticks I would suggest giving Mythos a go. Here is Mythos Menu.

http://www.universalorlando.com/Images/mythos_menu_tcm13-28313.pdf

But I have to admit, I like Hard Rock Cafe also. But they are a bit pricier than the in park table services.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom