Disney Vacation Club West

DVC Mike

Original Poster
Here is a quick quiz:

• What DVC resort did Disney plan to be the second one built at Walt Disney World (after Old Key West)? If you think it's the Boardwalk - wrong answer.
  • What resort did Disney plan to be the second standalone DVC resort (not attached to a deluxe hotel) at Walt Disney World (after Old Key West)? If you think it's Eagle Pines or Saratoga Springs - wrong answer.
  • What resort did Disney plan to be the first DVC resort located in the Epcot resort area? If you think it's the Boardwalk - wrong answer.
  • What DVC resort was planned to be the first one next to the monorail? If you think it's Bay Lake Tower - wrong answer.

The correct answer to all four questions is the Disney Vacation Club West.

Huh? If you're scratching your head wondering what I am talking about, then read on.

As covered in The History of the Disney Vacation Club thread, Disney had opened the Disney Vacation Club resort in 1991, and was working on plans for the next DVC resorts.

Disney's plans included both expansion outside of Walt Disney World, as well as expansion within Walt Disney World. Well before they purchased land in Vero Beach for what would become the second DVC resort, Disney was working on plans for a second resort within Walt Disney World.

In 1992, Disney developed plans for a project named "Disney Vacation Club West" on a 164 acre site located south of Epcot Drive, east of World Drive, north of Epcot Resort Blvd, and west of Epcot. If you know where the cast member parking lot is for the Yacht & Beach Club resort, you know the general location.

If you can't imagine where that is, here is a present-day view of that location.

DVC_West_Location.jpg

Remember, the first DVC resort was still called the Disney Vacation Club, so the project name of the Disney Vacation Club West made sense.

The resort was designed to be very similar to the first Disney Vacation Club - clusters of buildings with parking directly outside.

Below is the overall site plan. I've colored it so things stand out.

DVC_West_SitePlan.png

What do you think?

I don't know why Disney abandoned this plan, but the land is still sitting there.

Below are some areas of the map (left uncolored).

DVC_West_Detail_View1.png

DVC_West_Detail_View2.png

DVC_West_Detail_View3.png

DVC_West_Detail_View4.png

DVC_West_Detail_View5.png

DVC_West_Detail_View6.png

lazyboy97o

Much of this site is currently deemed unsuitable for building by the Reedy Creek Improvement District. I imagine that played a significant role in killing this project.

Phonedave

The drawings don't seem to show a monorail station.

Nope, not to mention that the main building appears to be quite far from where the existing monorail is.

They way the property is designed, it does not look as if they even planned for a future extension of the monorail.

-dave

DisDadWoz

I guess just wishful thinking on my part. Put a resort right up against a monorail line and NOT have a station would be a mistake for this non-existent resort;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom