"Disney Universe" video game coming Fall 2011

nitch

Surprisingly I haven't looked much into the game but looking at the screenshots and reading that review it all strikes me a bit LittleBigPlanet-like. Not a bad thing by any means.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I got this game and spent about 3 hours playing it tonight. It was a lot of fun but definitely should be played with 2-3 people. Two of us were playing tonight and we could have used a third person in some places. There are a lot of things you have to accomplish in each level and many times there was a lot of trial and error to figure out what works. I liked that it has a teamwork element to it. In fact there are some parts that I think would be impossible to get past as a single player. This isn't some mindless game where you just walk around breaking things and such. You have specific items to collect or an enemy to defeat. Many times there is a certain series of steps you have to complete in order to get one of the items you need.

The graphics are decent and I like that each world is familiar (PoTC, Monstropolis, Lion King, etc) but different. This was especially nice with the Monsters Inc level...it felt like I was getting to wander around places in Monstropolis that are normally reserved for monsters. It is annoying that you have to "buy" new worlds every time you beat one but it is easy enough to "earn" the money so I guess it isn't a total game killer. The costumes that your "person" can wear are cute and it is fun to earn money so that you can buy more choices (provided you've managed to unlock them).

There are also "video games" in each world that remind me a lot of some of the Mario Party type mini games. Sometimes you and your partner have to work together while other times it is everyone for themselves. I'm looking forward to playing it again and moving on to another level. Tonight we finished off PoTC (the "free" starter world) and Monsters Inc. I think next I want to buy Wall-E and see what that world has to offer.

I found this game to be 100x less annoying than Epic Mickey since it isn't in 3D and the whole thing doesn't take place in complete darkness. It is nice to actually see what is going on and not get completely confused as to what direction you are heading. :lol:

nitch

I've heard nothing but good things really about the game apart from the amount of inevitable DLC that this game could end up with. Obviously if I don't want it I don't have to buy it but it's a shame that there's so much they could've put on the disc.

Me and my girlfriend loved the LBP games and are definitely going to look into this!

nitch

I crumbled and traded in a few bits and bobs and got the game. Gonna give it a bash tonight to see how it plays and will post thoughts later. I've seen a mix of reviews across the board so I'm optimistic. :)

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
We are planning to have another round of Disney Universe tonight too. I'm hoping to be able to get through Wall-E's world.

nitch

So we've played through two of the three Pirates levels and it is a lot of fun. We started of playing with three of us but luckily one had to go make their dinner. Thank God!

It was absolute mayhem! It got very very difficult to see where anyone was on the screen amidst the enemies and the players attacking them, it just turned out we were hitting each other a lot of the time! It got a little frustrating at times, with me wanting to explore every nook and cranny and the others just following the arrows.

The combat flows really really well which surprised me. The mini games were fun to play as a group and got the competitive juices following in an environment where it didn't matter if we died. I know it doesn't matter anyway really but when you're trying to play it's just frustrating!

Sadly I couldn't access the in-game online store to download my two free costumes that came with the game but I'm sure that will roll out soon.

I am very thankful there is a lot of stuff to do. Although it can be frustrating at times I did really really enjoy playing and with so much to do (working my way toward that inevitable Platinum trophy) it will definitely keep my attention. Whether it can keep it away from finishing Red Dead Redemption we'll see! Well it is Disney after all, I think if this game had any other subject matter or theme then it wouldn't get a look in.

Overall so far, very impressed.

nitch

A lie about the free costumes. I found them on the Playstation Store as opposed to the in-game store which is strange. The in-game says there is no DLC at all, confused. Well the two free costumes do exist and I'm sure more worlds will come soon. Fingers crossed for Magic Kingdom!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Last night we finished up Monstropolis and played most of Alice in Wonderland. Unfortunately we discovered a very frustrating glitch in the very last part of Monstropolis. For some reason when we *thought* we completed an objective it turned out we actually hadn't. A door that was supposed to be destroyed (and then advance the game) actually wasn't and we got stuck in one spot and had no idea what to do. The blue arrow pointing the way disappeared and we just kept going around and around in circles. After about 10 minutes of frustration we just restarted the level and everything worked fine. Quite annoying but at least we got past it.

We found the Alice in Wonderland world to be the best looking so far but also the most difficult. There are far more combinations of things that need to be done in order to advance. Also a lot more moving around of big objects. Definitely a challenge but we're having fun with it.

nitch

We played again last night, three of us, finished off Pirates and started Alice. I like the extra puzzles with the clock watches and the sugar launchers, working together to load the sugar onto the spoon then someone else to launch it was quite fun.

Again it all comes back to combat and how ridiculous it gets at times, when the dust settles we realise we're just beating on each other! I need to calm down with all the instruction and just enjoy myself I think. I find myself too involved with collecting everything on the first time round that I don't realise that you have to play the level twice anyway to unlock the second character. Once we've played it all as a group and we have some downtime I tend to venture back in by myself for a more relaxed playthrough and finish up all the odds and ends.

Still really fun. Impressed it's still keeping me coming back and wanting to play it when no-one's around. I have thus far resisted! Hopefully I won't break.

nitch

I found the first batch of DLC has actually been announced for November 15. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any new worlds in this 'Disney Villains Pack' meant to coincide with Halloween (bit late for that).

Costumes for Cruella, Hades, Maleficent, The Evil Queen from Snow White and Ursula are all coming $0.99 each or $2.99 for the whole set. So probably £0.79 for individual in the UK and £2 something for the set?

Jungle Book characters (maybe a world) set for January and The Muppets set for March 2012.

Hopefully that will release more worlds amongst all this being released. Waiting until after March for a new world with all these characters out there is a bit of an ask. I can't find any official forums or anything that the developers and publishers might genuinely look at for feedback. Any suggestions?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I am confused about the downloadable content thing. Is it only going to be for Xbox and PS3? I can't find a final answer on the Googlez. Sounds like this might be one of those times where I regret investing in a Wii.

nitch

I am confused about the downloadable content thing. Is it only going to be for Xbox and PS3? I can't find a final answer on the Googlez. Sounds like this might be one of those times where I regret investing in a Wii.

It's a real shame that the most family-orientated console doesn't accommodate DLC for a game that is aimed primarily at the younger generation. DLC is set to be a big part of Disney Universe, I hope they don't neglect the Wii.

nitch

Had a break from this as work piled up but started playing again in the Aladdin world. Not the best of the bunch so far and I have Wall-E to come which I'm really looking forward to.

The second Monsters Inc. level was a bit tedious in the Himalayas but we ploughed through. Keeping up with all the costume unlocks as well (2 per level, replay each level) so looking good to collect them all. Not too keen on the DLC costumes because of the price but if I got a PSN voucher I'd probably pick them up.

And DLC got me thinking: what other lands would everyone like to see in the game?

I know they've said something about Jungle Book (can't remember if it was costumes or levels) but they already have a Baloo costume so it could well be a new land.

I would love to see a park-related land, more than likely Magic Kingdom if they were going to do it. It would work perfectly with the game's set-up!

Anyone else have any requests?

nitch

So the first level pack is out now and it's The Nightmare Before Christmas! It includes the suits from characters from the movie and priced at £3.99 that seems like more value than the Villains suit-only set.

Hopefully I'm looking to get some PSN vouchers for Christmas so I'll definitely get this on the download and check it out and let you all know (or those that are bothered) how it plays and if it's worth it.

celticdog

We received Dinsey Universe for Christmas, what a fun game. This is what Epic Mickey should have been. There are straight forward tasks, easy to use controls, light and airy backgrounds and scenery, no screwy camera angles, no having to start at the beginning when you die. We are having a blast, plus it's just a fun as a solo player.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom