1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney to pay $3.8 million to park workers charged for their costumes

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by GrumpyFan, Mar 17, 2017.

1. GrumpyFan

GrumpyFan Well-Known Member

Thought this was interesting, and a bit of a "bad show" for Disney. Nice to see that CMs will get some relief on it though!

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/17/news/companies/disney-workers-back-pay/

Disney can't charge the actors who dress up as characters for their costumes -- at least not if it pushes their hourly pay below minimum wage.

That's according to the Department of Labor, which is forcing Disney to pay 16,339 Florida workers a total of $3.8 million in back wages, according to a press release issued Friday.

The payouts will go to people who work at Disney (DIS) Vacation Club Management Corp. and the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts -- which include Florida's Disney World.

The government said the company violated wage laws by deducting a "uniform or costume" expense from the paychecks of some employees, causing their effective wages to fall below the federal minimum wage, which is $7.25 per hour.

The labor department also said Disney did not compensate employees for the time they spent performing "pre-shift" duties, and that the resorts failed to adequately record time and payroll records.

"These violations are not uncommon and are found in other industries, as well," said Daniel White, district director for the department's Wage and Hour Division in Jacksonville, Florida. "Employers cannot make deductions that take workers below the minimum wage, and must accurately track and pay for all the hours their employees work, including any time they work before or after their scheduled shifts."

Disney could not be immediately reached for comment. The labor department said the company was "very cooperative" throughout its investigation.

Siren, WDWTank, The Duck and 17 others like this.
  2. GrumpyFan

GrumpyFan Well-Known Member Original Poster

I wonder how/if this ruling effects DCP workers?

WDWTank, wdrive and MarkTwain like this.
  3. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Well-Known Member

This is very strange to me. I had good friends who were "on stage" cast members when I lived in Florida and they never had paycheck deductions for their costumes. They had to buy their own shoes, but everything else was provided free of charge. The only exceptions I can think of were people who lost or damaged what was issued them.

WDWTank, WDW Guru, Speedy71 and 6 others like this.
  4. DisneyDebRob

DisneyDebRob Well-Known Member

They sho
    They should not even have to buy their own shoes.

5. GrumpyFan

GrumpyFan Well-Known Member Original Poster

The Orlando Sentinel provided a little more information.

The agreement covers almost 700 employees who worked at Old Key West Resort since November 2013. An additional 15,000 employees working at other Florida resorts since January 2015 will also receive compensation.

Disney said in a statement “the Department of Labor has identified a group of cast members who may have performed work outside of their scheduled shift, and we will be providing a one-time payment to resolve this. We are adjusting our procedures to avoid this in the future.”

The agreement calls for increased training of managers about what constitutes “compensable work time.” The training will cover activities such as signing out keys and logging onto computers.

Disney will provide the back pay by July 31.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-disney-wages-labor-violations-20170317-story.html

6. CaptainAmerica

Maybe, but that doesn't address my question. The article specifically mentions payroll deductions. The people who were buying their own shoes were going to the store and paying for them. They weren't getting money withheld from their paychecks to "buy" shoes from Disney.

7. DisneyDebRob

Sorry, wasn't even thinking about your question.. just saw that they pay for their own footwear and it hit a nerve.

brb1006 and CaptainAmerica like this.
  8. peter11435

peter11435 Well-Known Member

Does your employer buy your shoes?

9. CaptainAmerica

ChrisM, Siren, WDWTank and 2 others like this.
  10. DisneyDebRob

They do for my job. I work for the post office and our allowance covers our uniforms each year.

WDWTank, alissafalco, Lucky and 2 others like this.
  11. GhostHost1000

GhostHost1000 Well-Known Member

more price increases to help pay for this and their stupidity in 5....4....3....2....1
    Countdown to fun

12. raven

raven Well-Known Member

This is good. Maybe now some people will see how low TDO really pays their CMs.

13. willtravel

willtravel Well-Known Member

I don't understand why it specifically says 700 employees at Old Key West Resort?

wdrive and GrumpyFan like this.
  14. NearTheEars

NearTheEars Well-Known Member

When I worked as a security guard ages ago (non-Disney) for about minimum wage, they deducted money for our uniforms weekly. I want my money back!

GrumpyFan likes this.
  15. peter11435

peter11435 Well-Known Member

As far as I know Disney only charges cast members for costumes that are lost or damaged beyond normal wear and tear.

16. Liberty6

Liberty6 Member

I think the bigger part of the settlement is in relation to pre and post work that went unpaid. This may have included signing out equipment or keys or checking email while not "on the clock". While it may not seem like a big deal it is considered work and employees have to be paid.

17. The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly Well-Known Member

Mental. I would boycott WDW over this sort of idiocy. I don't do sweatshops.

18. Ironically Humorous

Ironically Humorous Member

Well, they did this. There's no questioning it, really. Are you boycotting?

Siren likes this.
  19. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

thats common in practically every job

shoes arent as standard as shirts and pants and some people need special footwear for comfort or foot abnormalities

20. The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly Well-Known Member

'Would' and 'will', they are different words. Disney has been forced to undo their below legal minumum wage payments so obviously we should boycott just as much as we should boycott Carolina cotton for slavery.

I am old-fashioned, middle class, a law-abiding citizen to boot. It won't take much for America to well and truly become a banana republic where the mighty can break the law and get away with it too. Or worse yet, twist the law to their ends. And then it has found itself just another third world dump, where the arrogant few spend exorbitant prices on a drink and a cabana, served by grossly underpaid, disrespected, lawless workers.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Speedy71 and ford91exploder like this.