Disney to honor memory of boy killed by alligator last year

becca_

Taking down the fences? Thematically appropriate? While I prefer the old look of the beaches, I also prefer guest safety including my own kids and family. It's likely the only way to keep everyone out of the water. IMO it was done as quickly and naturally as possible. Kudos to Disney for honoring Lane's life in this tasteful way.
I could see people trying to climb over the rocks (see: Mexico's pyramid, chains/ropes in lines, rocks anywhere, etc.) even though it'd look nicer I'd agree that safety is #1 in these situations.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I think it'd be nice if there was some sort of natural boundry (Possibly rocks or rockwork?) Instead of the Fences, would be a lot more thematically appropriate for the Poly at least, and make the beaches feel a bit more natural.

There's already rocks in a lot of places. They don't look bad but it's just not the same as the gorgeous open beaches we had before. Now we have visually intrusive rock barriers, fences and a ton of signs. What happened was tragic but the solution isn't to basically baby proof everything.

Gold is the color of the foundation's logo/symbol. So they are aligning with it.

Makes sense then.

Biff215

A person could also climb over a fence. I think it's pretty obvious the main reason for the fence was to not allow kids to wander into the shores of the lagoon. My proposed rock barrier would be a few feet high, acting as a fence that's not an eyesore.
The problem with rocks is people tend to climb on them, both children and adults, so they become dangerous themselves. If someone old enough chooses to hop the fence, they've made a choice to put themselves in danger.

I get your concern, I guess the fence just doesn't feel like an eyesore to me.

rob0519

There's already rocks in a lot of places. They don't look bad but it's just not the same as the gorgeous open beaches we had before. Now we have visually intrusive rock barriers, fences and a ton of signs. What happened was tragic but the solution isn't to basically baby proof everything.

Makes sense then.

A fatal tragedy occurred. "Baby Proofing" the beach and lagoon to prevent it from happening again is, in this case, an appropriate solution. The rocks, fences and signs are not that big a deal. Kids can climb on and over rocks in a matter of seconds. Rocks can be mistaken for decorations. Fences pretty much mean stay out.

There are plenty of beaches in Florida along the coast with unobstructed views not that far away.

If you have a better, constructive and practical idea to keep kids out of the water, please share it with the class.

rob0519

A person could also climb over a fence. I think it's pretty obvious the main reason for the fence was to not allow kids to wander into the shores of the lagoon. My proposed rock barrier would be a few feet high, acting as a fence that's not an eyesore.

This is a rock barrier approximately 4 feet high. Some people might consider this more of an eyesore than the fence. At least you can see through the fence. This would block the view entirely.
rockwall1_med.jpeg

21stamps

Makes sense then.

Agree.
Although, Someday people won't remember what the beaches looked like before the rocks/fences/signs.. it will just be natural to them. For a lot of us who grew up with family vacations on that lagoon, it's a bit jarring to see how different it is now.
The lighthouse will make me feel appreciative, and thoughtful of the family.
Those fences and signs though..that's something different...

rob0519

Grand parents had fences like that but they lived on a farm and the stones came from the fields. Works on a farm not so much a tourist area.

Exactly. I was pointing out how intrusive a rock wall several feet high would be compared to a fence that can be seen through. This is my last comment on this subject here. This thread was not intended to be about security, physical barriers, etc.

21stamps

A fatal tragedy occurred. "Baby Proofing" the beach and lagoon to prevent it from happening again is, in this case, an appropriate solution. The rocks, fences and signs are not that big a deal. Kids can climb on and over rocks in a matter of seconds. Rocks can be mistaken for decorations. Fences pretty much mean stay out.

There are plenty of beaches in Florida along the coast with unobstructed views not that far away.

If you have a better, constructive and practical idea to keep kids out of the water, please share it with the class.

...with sharks in them. I think that's the point he was making.
Anyway, I'd hate to see this thread turn into something like the original thread on the subject. This is just about the memorial... what's done is done, no point in debating fences and signs and rocks that already exist, and aren't going away anytime soon.

21stamps

You old enough to remember when you could swim off the beaches and people did? I don't know if they still do water skiing and all that but they use to run the lake as recreational lake. That's been gone for years now. Add some fences no big deal.

Yes, I am. As for the rest, I'll just agree to disagree. I don't understand the people who say that this memorial could possibly bother them or make them feel sad.. I think the new beaches have already accomplished that, for different reasons added to the tragedy. I think the Lighthouse is perfect.

21stamps

Actually I don't want to see or hear or anything about dead people and tragic events while I'm on vacation somewhere. Lots of places in the world that I can visit with bodies piled up everywhere. Not what a theme park is for.

This is the perfect example of what I'm talking about.. the fences, rocks, and huge signs every 10 feet are already a reminder, not just of the death but of how much has changed.

The lighthouse is not in a theme park.. it's at a resort. That resort's theme is Florida's Golden Age. Florida has lighthouses. That memorial is much less out of place and less of a reminder of danger and sadness than what I mentioned above. It's just a nice gesture, it represents Hope and Strength, not Death.

beertiki

We need fences because people are too stupid. Feeding alligators, so they associate humans with food. Walking in the water is ok because it's not swimming. Walking in any water at night. Well, they are standing in the water, we should too. There were several stupid mistakes that led up to this.

I just hope that this is not the beginning of memorials all over property. The next person to die in an accident will have family screaming, why doesnt _______ get a light house too?

21stamps

I think this death was unique though because it actually was somewhat Disney at fault . Most deaths at Disney are resulted from previous or unknown conditions of the visitors that Disney cannot be faulted for.

Either way it's insanely tragic, and I'm glad the parents could make some sort of compromise with Disney to feel some closure, we all make mistakes, and some are deadly. But learning from them is what makes us Human and move forward.

I think the parents acted like rational people..and heroic in starting the foundation. Nature is to blame. No one else. I know it's hard for people to not be able to place blame, but sometimes there is actually no one to rationally blame.

I've said repeatedly in the other thread, we don't blame people for shark attacks because they were in the ocean.
I just wish people would realize this and stop trying to place blame on anyone- Disney or the parents.

beertiki

Nature is never at fault. Nature does what evolution designed it to do.

Feeding alligators will alter their natural behavior. That alligator heard human splashing around and was hoping for a free meal. A normal gator, would hear all that splashing and avoid that area.

I don't think we need a poll here, but I would guess a significant majority of the parents on here would never let a toddler in that water after dark.

We do blame people for shark attacks. As this forums most likely shark attack victim, I know I stand a significantly higher risk of a provoked attack. Unprovoked, a swimmer just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Provoked, spearfishing and any feeding activities. I have guided a few spearfisherman, and I do like diving with sharks. If I get bit, it won't be nature, it will be a shark that was fed by humans, or knows the sound of a spear gun.

21stamps

Nature is never at fault. Nature does what evolution designed it to do.

Feeding alligators will alter their natural behavior. That alligator heard human splashing around and was hoping for a free meal. A normal gator, would hear all that splashing and avoid that area.

I don't think we need a poll here, but I would guess a significant majority of the parents on here would never let a toddler in that water after dark.

We do blame people for shark attacks. As this forums most likely shark attack victim, I know I stand a significantly higher risk of a provoked attack. Unprovoked, a swimmer just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Provoked, spearfishing and any feeding activities. I have guided a few spearfisherman, and I do like diving with sharks. If I get bit, it won't be nature, it will be a shark that was fed by humans, or knows the sound of a spear gun.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here.. unprovoked, no-human-at-fault, accidents do happen. That's why they're always so tragic when they do happen.

I am also a diver, very much an avid diver before my son, have been since age 10..and diving is the #1 reason for my move to Key West. I have had many shark dives all over the world, and I'm always very careful, I don't consider a shark attack high risk..because they are so rare, with divers and with beach goers.

I also surf (not well), and have surfed in Costa Rica 20+ days.. the biggest danger to surfers in CR is Crocodiles, not sharks, I know the crocs are most likely somewhere around..but I surf anyway.

I also kayak in waters that contain venomous snakes.. and I get out of my kayak to swim and do a rope jump.

I camp where there are bears around.

I've never been attacked during any of the above, and I pray that neither myself or a loved one ever will be attacked. However, I think it is absolutely horrible and wrong to blame the victim or guardians if those attacks would happen.

The Lane Graves incident got to me.. badly. I swam in that lagoon with my parents and siblings growing up...we all were fully aware that there are gators in Florida freshwater.,..also, less than 9 months prior to the Lane Graves accident, my son was sitting in that water. I KNEW that there were alligators in there, my Parents also knew.. yet Neither I nor them would never think that this would happen to me or my loved ones.

This is why the fence arguments are stupid. The gators have always been there, this was just a horrific accident of nature...it didn't mean that there is a sudden problem, it's just a side effect of wildlife, one that we never want to see.. so the reactions are to build a bubble around us.

The Graves handled it like I would hope that many would.. as realizing that sometimes bad things happen to good people, but you can make good from tragedy.

beertiki

I place 99% of the blame on the humans that feed the alligators. 1% on the parents for letting a toddler in the water after dark at a beach marked no swimming.

We need fences because too many people think that that sign does not apply to me, or they just ignore it and will claim they never saw it when they get caught.

21stamps

I place 99% of the blame on the humans that feed the alligators. 1% on the parents for letting a toddler in the water after dark at a beach marked no swimming.

We need fences because too many people think that that sign does not apply to me, or they just ignore it and will claim they never saw it when they get caught.

I place 100% of the "blame" on humans developing land on a swamp. That's the only human scenario that we can rationally blame.
So, we can have everyone move from any area with swamps, or forests, or oceans, and place laws and fences to make sure that people can never swim in any water that contains dangerous wildlife.. close all of the National and State Parks as well.. and Alaska.

The problem wasn't the boy standing in the water.. the problem was that an alligator went against nature and attacked a human.. just as shark, bear, amoeba, and snake attacks do the same..

After any of those attacks happen it doesn't mean that the next person standing in the water or in the wilderness will be attacked. The odds are against it.. and this has been proven for centuries.

beertiki

I place 100% of the "blame" on humans developing land on a swamp. That's the only human scenario that we can rationally blame.
So, we can have everyone move from any area with swamps, or forests, or oceans, and place laws and fences to make sure that people can never swim in any water that contains dangerous wildlife.. close all of the National and State Parks as well.. and Alaska.

The problem wasn't the boy standing in the water.. the problem was that an alligator went against nature and attacked a human.. just as shark, bear, amoeba, and snake attacks do the same..

After any of those attacks happen it doesn't mean that the next person standing in the water or in the wilderness will be attacked. The odds are against it.. and this has been proven for centuries.

Nothing has been proven. Bears, sharks, lions, tigers, and wolves all have had multiple attacks by the same animal.

There are many places where attacks frequently happen. Ponce Inlet, Florida, Reciffe, Brazil, Reunion Island. Some places are exponentially riskier than others.

21stamps

Nothing has been proven. Bears, sharks, lions, tigers, and wolves all have had multiple attacks by the same animal.

There are many places where attacks frequently happen. Ponce Inlet, Florida, Reciffe, Brazil, Reunion Island. Some places are exponentially riskier than others.

And the number of those attacks pale in comparison to the number of people who aren't attacked. That is the proof.
WDW is not any more risky today than it was 16 months ago..or 40 years ago.
Those parents had no reason to believe that it would happen to them, and Disney didn't have a reason to believe anyone was in danger. Alligators aren't hunting humans at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom