Disney to honor memory of boy killed by alligator last year

LukeS7

I have to agree. What is to be gained by bringing up such a tragic occasion. Will it make others safer? Will it bring back the child? Is it just a corny way to make people thing that for reasons other then financial, Disney really has a vested interest? What determines a memory? I see that they lowered the flag because of the incident at the club last year. Tragic yes, but, what about the people that were killed in car accidents? Plane crashes? Starvation in many third world countries? It is a nice thought for some, and even though I don't really object, I find it to be less then a sincere concern and more a "let's look good" type of movement.
I've never understood the "well what about this other thing that was worse" argument. Tragedies aren't a ing contest, and they should not be looked at in a global scale in this regard. If you start putting things on the scale of the universe and the grand scheme of things, nothing really matters and everything is pointless, but these things matter to the people (and the places) that they involve. They're doing this because it impacted them and some higher up somewhere has a heart. Same thing with the flag being at half-staff for the Pulse shooting. It was the largest mass shooting in US history and it occurred in a city very close by and at a venue that quite a few of their cast members (one from Universal was actually a victim) had visited. It's relevant to them, therefore I don't get why we should even be debating this as it is not particularly relevant to us.

Last edited:

erikjp

I have to agree. What is to be gained by bringing up such a tragic occasion. Will it make others safer? Will it bring back the child? Is it just a corny way to make people thing that for reasons other then financial, Disney really has a vested interest? What determines a memory? I see that they lowered the flag because of the incident at the club last year. Tragic yes, but, what about the people that were killed in car accidents? Plane crashes? Starvation in many third world countries? It is a nice thought for some, and even though I don't really object, I find it to be less then a sincere concern and more a "let's look good" type of movement.

Actually, the memorial does have the potential to make other safer. Of course it can't bring back the child. I agree Disney is a heartless money grubbing company that mostly wants to just get good PR for this, but it doesn't mean the memorial lighthouse is invalid. Memory question doesn't make sense. And for the last three questions what? Of course Disney World isn't going to create a memorial to all tragedies on the planet... this is about an incident on its own grounds. Apples to oranges comparison there.

andysol

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure I like this. I'm anything but a pixie duster, but to me Disney's parks and hotels are supposed to be a positive, uplifting experience. Even if it's subtle, I don't see how a memorial sculpture fits that notion. At best, it would feel like one of those out-of-place easter eggs that WDI likes putting in their work, that is only understood by those who already know about it; at worst, it could feel like something that belongs in a cemetery.

My heart goes out to the family; it was a tragic accident that I hope never happens again. I can't imagine how tough the last year has been for them. But I just don't think that this sort of tribute is truly appropriate at WDW

I have to agree. What is to be gained by bringing up such a tragic occasion.
It's the least they can do after the family, shockingly, didn't come at them with a lawsuit- which they easily would have won a sizeable judgement. Of course, we may never know- this could have been an agreement they made in lieu of a lawsuit.

Regardless, the Lane family created a foundation that helps others who are going through tragedies. And now, with the lighthouse, it brings awareness to their charity- which in turn, will help others.
So it's nice to see a selfless act come out of tragedy and the world is better off for it. So props to all involved here in my eyes.

rob0519

As someone said, this may have been a condition of some sealed settlement between Disney and the family. I don't understand why the family or Disney would want a permanent reminder of the poor child's death. However, it's Disney's property. They can do with it as they see fit. If it is indeed a memorial, perhaps they should also install something similar for the monorail driver that was killed a few years ago. Both tragedies resulted in significant operational changes as the resorts.

Goofyernmost

I've never understood the "well what about this other thing that was worse" argument. Tragedies aren't a ****ing contest, and they should not be looked at in a global scale in this regard. If you start putting things on the scale of the universe and the grand scheme of things, nothing really matters and everything is pointless, but these things matter to the people (and the places) that they involve. They're doing this because it impacted them and some higher up somewhere has a heart. Same thing with the flag being at half-staff for the Pulse shooting. It was the largest mass shooting in US history and it occurred in a city very close by and at a venue that quite a few of their cast members (one from Universal was actually a victim) had visited. It's relevant to them, therefore I don't get why we should even be debating this as it is not particularly relevant to us.
You certainly have a right to your opinion, however, I disagree because what happens other than the publicized thing, is just as gut wrenching for those involved as the one that was public knowledge. People have died from accidental things at Disney parks before... no memorial and those were actually accidents that perhaps could have been anticipated and possibly prevented. This one, very tragic because of the child's age, was a freak act of nature, sad yes, but why single that one over the others. Like I said, I am OK with them doing something if some good comes out of it, otherwise it just strikes me as an opportunistic way to make everyone say... Oh... isn't that a nice thing that Disney is doing. In other words, putting a spin on a tragedy. But I could be just way to cynical.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
A nice gesture but I don't doubt it's part of the settlement. Removing the ugly rocks and fences and reopening the beaches at some point would also be a nice.

21stamps

Being the father of two kids, I certainly don't mind taking a moment to acknowledge the tragic loss of life of a little one.
This story still gets to me.

It's also acknowledging good though. The foundation helps save lives of other children.

The sculpture is a lighthouse, I don't know why it would upset anyone.

I admit that the first time I saw the fences and new signs I had a moment of chills, but then we enjoyed our vacation. Hundreds of people stay at that resort every night. The fences, rocks, and signs are more imposing than a lighthouse will ever be.

I think this is a nice gesture on Disney's part.

Disone

It's also acknowledging good though. The foundation helps save lives of other children.

The sculpture is a lighthouse, I don't know why it would upset anyone.

I admit that the first time I saw the fences and new signs I had a moment of chills, but then we enjoyed our vacation. Hundreds of people stay at that resort every night. The fences, rocks, and signs are more imposing than a lighthouse will ever be.

I think this is a nice gesture on Disney's part.
I think the United States of America could learn a lot from the Graves family, who expectantly went public with a statement that they will not be suing Disney. They stated this was because no amount of money would bring Lane back. And then they requested the media to leave them alone so they may grieve. In order for this to be settlement, there would have to be a case to settle. The family said they were not bringing a case and I suspect had they changed their mind, it would have been news. I do not think the lighthouse is part of a settlement.

I personally am humbled by the honor of this family. It is beyond belief that Disney was too? And since they were NOT sued, any actions taken are not going to affect the lawsuit. In the aftermath of the monorail accident, would it really be appropriate for Disney to dedicate a Monorail to Austin while being sued for his lost? After the settlement? How might the family suffering the lost feel about that is anyone's guess.

For some of you, it will be to hard to accept that. For me it is not that Disney leading with heart on this one. There is no play book for these kinds of incidents, there is no clearly right or clearly wrong decision. Disney may not be the best corporation in the world, but its far from the worst. It may not be the best to work for, but also it is FAR from the worst. No matter what it does here, it will be criticized. Imagine the news if the Graves family, who has chosen NOT to sue reached out to Disney with this idea for the Lighthouse, only to be told.... "Disney would rather not revisit the tragic event" Oh the flames for that heartless decision would have been flying. So I get both arguments, But I think Disney honestly took the high road on this one. Worst case, they are doing it for PR reasons, but even so it still helps bring a lasting legacy to an all too short life. Regardless of motives, I applaud both Disney and the Graves Family for trying build a positive outcome to a tragic event.

21stamps

I think the United States of America could learn a lot from the Graves family, who expectantly went public with a statement that they will not be suing Disney. They stated this was because no amount of money would bring Lane back. And then they requested the media to leave them alone so they may grieve. In order for this to be settlement, there would have to be a case to settle. The family said they were not bringing a case and I suspect had they changed their mind, it would have been news. I do not think the lighthouse is part of a settlement.

I personally am humbled by the honor of this family. It is beyond belief that Disney was too? And since they were NOT sued, any actions taken are not going to affect the lawsuit. In the aftermath of the monorail accident, would it really be appropriate for Disney to dedicate a Monorail to Austin while being sued for his lost? After the settlement? How might the family suffering the lost feel about that is anyone's guess.

For some of you, it will be to hard to accept that. For me it is not that Disney leading with heart on this one. There is no play book for these kinds of incidents, there is no clearly right or clearly wrong decision. Disney may not be the best corporation in the world, but its far from the worst. It may not be the best to work for, but also it is FAR from the worst. No matter what it does here, it will be criticized. Imagine the news if the Graves family, who has chosen NOT to sue reached out to Disney with this idea for the Lighthouse, only to be told.... "Disney would rather not revisit the tragic event" Oh the flames for that heartless decision would have been flying. So I get both arguments, But I think Disney honestly took the high road on this one. Worst case, they are doing it for PR reasons, but even so it still helps bring a lasting legacy to an all too short life. Regardless of motives, I applaud both Disney and the Graves Family for trying build a positive outcome to a tragic event.

Very well said.

Delgado

if the lighthouse can make his family feel more peace or connected by all means I can give a silent nod to the "out of place" Easter egg while I'm making memories with my family. Similar memories that Lane's family was attempting to create.

My heart hurt and tears were beginning in my eyes all over again when I read the first post. I am so proud of Disney for acknowledging the toddler. So freaking proud.

Instead of how a simple statue will ruin your vacation or seem out of place, be grateful for what's around you.

andysol

It's a reminder of a kids death. I mean that's the equivalent of putting a scrunched up purple Monorail, next to the Magic Kingdom Monorail Station with a plaque that reads the name: "Austin Wuennenberg"

Not even close, and a slightly ridiculous comparison. This isn't a bronze alligator on a coastline with the name "Lane" engraved on his side- it's a lighthouse with the foundations name.

I, too, don't believe this is a settlement. There's no doubt Chapek and George K have exchanged emails with the family on a few occasions. All it could have taken was Mr graves sending an email that appealed to one of them and them thinking it was a good idea and making the decision right there from the top. They're suits, yes- but they're humans with emotion also.
We don't know the story, and we likely never will.
So taking it at face value- it's a nice tribute for a good cause with pure intentions.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Additionally, we have no idea where they will place this on property. They could just as easily place this in Disney Springs or elsewhere on property (away from Seven Seas Lagoon). Certainly NOT placing it at the Grand Floridian would help distinguish this as a testament to the foundation and NOT a memorial for the death.

rob0519

It's a reminder of a kids death. I mean that's the equivalent of putting a scrunched up purple Monorail, next to the Magic Kingdom Monorail Station with a plaque that reads the name: "Austin Wuennenberg"

A "scrunched" up monorail car is nowhere near the equivalent of some sort of lighthouse statue. In your heartless example, however, the car would need to be at the TTC where the accident took place.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have no problem with this. Most will pay some attention to the lighthouse, wherever it's placed, but ultimately over time it will simply be that - a lighthouse - to most guests. It's a nice gesture. And that's all I think needs to be said about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom