Disney to honor memory of boy killed by alligator last year

durangojim

Original Poster
I didn't see this anywhere else and apologize if it had already been posted. Sounds like they're making a statue in the shape of a lighthouse but it doesn't mention where it will be placed. I think it's wonderful that they're honoring him but I hope the statute isn't a constant reminder to people of the boy's death (I think that sounds much more callous than I intended). For me going to WDW is about getting away from some of the sadness of day-to-day life and I don't want to be reminded about a horrible accident.
Maybe they could make a small working lighthouse on one of the islands in the Seven Seas Lagoon.

http://ew.com/news/2017/06/13/walt-disney-world-honor-memory-toddler-killed-alligator/

One year after a 2-year-old boy was killed by an alligator while playing near a shoreline at a Disney resort, Walt Disney World is planning to honor his memory.

Lane Graves, who was visiting with his family from Nebraska in June 2016, will be remembered with a structure of a lighthouse that the company will add on its property, the Orlando Sentinel reports. The lighthouse is the symbol of the Lane Thomas Foundation, which was created by Lane’s parents, Melissa and Matt Graves.

“To provide continued awareness of the foundation and its mission, we’ve commissioned an original sculpture of the lighthouse the foundation uses as a symbol of love and hope, to be installed on our property this summer,” George A. Kalogridis, president of Walt Disney World Resort, said in a statement to the Sentinel on Tuesday.

Lane was playing in a foot of water in a lagoon near the Floridian Resort & Spa when the alligator attacked him, according to a witness.

The toddler’s father attempted to fight off the gator, suffering lacerations on his hand as a result, but could not save his son, according to the Associated Press.

His body was discovered by the Orange County Sheriff dive team. The parents, along with 4-year-old daughter Ella, returned home to Elkhorn, where their son was buried.

This article originally appeared on People.com

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

I didn't see this anywhere else and apologize if it had already been posted. Sounds like they're making a statue in the shape of a lighthouse but it doesn't mention where it will be placed. I think it's wonderful that they're honoring him but I hope the statute isn't a constant reminder to people of the boy's death (I think that sounds much more callous than I intended). For me going to WDW is about getting away from some of the sadness of day-to-day life and I don't want to be reminded about a horrible accident.
Maybe they could make a small working lighthouse on one of the islands in the Seven Seas Lagoon.

http://ew.com/news/2017/06/13/walt-disney-world-honor-memory-toddler-killed-alligator/

One year after a 2-year-old boy was killed by an alligator while playing near a shoreline at a Disney resort, Walt Disney World is planning to honor his memory.

Lane Graves, who was visiting with his family from Nebraska in June 2016, will be remembered with a structure of a lighthouse that the company will add on its property, the Orlando Sentinel reports. The lighthouse is the symbol of the Lane Thomas Foundation, which was created by Lane’s parents, Melissa and Matt Graves.

“To provide continued awareness of the foundation and its mission, we’ve commissioned an original sculpture of the lighthouse the foundation uses as a symbol of love and hope, to be installed on our property this summer,” George A. Kalogridis, president of Walt Disney World Resort, said in a statement to the Sentinel on Tuesday.

Lane was playing in a foot of water in a lagoon near the Floridian Resort & Spa when the alligator attacked him, according to a witness.

The toddler’s father attempted to fight off the gator, suffering lacerations on his hand as a result, but could not save his son, according to the Associated Press.

His body was discovered by the Orange County Sheriff dive team. The parents, along with 4-year-old daughter Ella, returned home to Elkhorn, where their son was buried.

This article originally appeared on People.com
That's really cool.

FerretAfros

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure I like this. I'm anything but a pixie duster, but to me Disney's parks and hotels are supposed to be a positive, uplifting experience. Even if it's subtle, I don't see how a memorial sculpture fits that notion. At best, it would feel like one of those out-of-place easter eggs that WDI likes putting in their work, that is only understood by those who already know about it; at worst, it could feel like something that belongs in a cemetery.

It also opens the door for a precedent that I don't think Disney wants to follow in the future. Through the years, dozens of people have died at various Disney properties around the world, due to accidents, poor maintenance, natural causes, suicide, or bad decisions. To my knowledge, none of them have any sort of official recognition or memorial. Adding one now raises questions the next time there's a similar event, and about deaths that have happened in the past.

Similarly, I don't like the plaque with the Randy Pausch (of "The Last Lecture" fame) quote by the teacups. He delivered a very important message to millions of people, but I'm just not sure I want to contemplate my own mortality while waiting in line for popcorn. The happiest place on earth isn't supposed to be a mausoleum

My heart goes out to the family; it was a tragic accident that I hope never happens again. I can't imagine how tough the last year has been for them. But I just don't think that this sort of tribute is truly appropriate at WDW

erikjp

Not to be the one to create the drama, but:

"For me going to WDW is about getting away from some of the sadness of day-to-day life and I don't want to be reminded about a horrible accident."

Sounds horribly inconsiderate to the family of the child that was killed. Sure, WDW exists as a space to escape from some problems, but to act like you can just check all sadness/worries at the gate is kind of ridiculous. Accidents still happen inside WDW, and you still have to be careful, especially with children. The lighthouse makes sense, because it both memorializes the child that dies and it provides a reminder to keep a 'watch out', since lakes in Florida can have alligators in them.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
here is what the foundation symbol looks like...

17426027_410356796006192_2035790148415514261_n.jpg

durangojim

Original Poster
Not to be the one to create the drama, but:

"For me going to WDW is about getting away from some of the sadness of day-to-day life and I don't want to be reminded about a horrible accident."

Sounds horribly inconsiderate to the family of the child that was killed. Sure, WDW exists as a space to escape from some problems, but to act like you can just check all sadness/worries at the gate is kind of ridiculous. Accidents still happen inside WDW, and you still have to be careful, especially with children. The lighthouse makes sense, because it both memorializes the child that dies and it provides a reminder to keep a 'watch out', since lakes in Florida can have alligators in them.

I know this is on a message board so I will take your statement with a grain of salt and not view it as trolling.
I'm not certain how it is inconsiderate for guest of a corporation that has up until this point not had a plaque memorializing the death of a child to not want to be reminded of the death of a child while at a resort. Should all family members of people who have had loved ones pass away at WDW place flowers and little remembrances through out the parks and resorts like we see on the side of the road. This was a tragic accident and I feel for the family. I applaud Disney for doing this but this is not a remembrance of the child's life for anyone but those who knew him, it is a remembrance of a tragic event and in my opinion out of place if they put it somewhere near the beach at the GF. That's why I suggested a real working lighthouse out on the water somewhere. The parents could still acknowledge their child and the rest of the guests could too or not.

I'm sure there will be many who don't agree with me and that's fine.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Should be noted that the lighthouse is NOT a memorial to the child. Per the foundation's website, the main goal of the foundation is to "provide financial support for non-medical expenses to families with children in need of life-saving organ transplants". I know it's hard to separate this from a memorial given that the lighthouse will likely be placed in the general vicinity of where he died and that the foundation is named after the boy who died, but Disney putting a lighthouse here for the Lane Thomas foundation is no more a memorial for Lane Graves than if they put up a Star Shaped something-or-other with a sign for the Make a Wish foundation would be a memorial for Chris Greicius (the boy who was really the catalyst for forming the Make a Wish Foundation).

I'm pretty confident that the lighthouse will not have any signs or statements indicating how/why the foundation was formed and, even now, I'm sure even if you mentioned the name "Lane Graves" there would be a fair number of people who wouldn't know who that was. (And in 15-20 years, I'd wager to guess that the vast majority of the guests at Disney won't remember the incident at all). As such, when people see the lighthouse, likely the only sign there will be is a sign that has the mission statement of the origination and people will just say "aww, that's really nice that Disney helps kids in need" in much the same way that we all love to hear about the "Make A Wish" stories at Disney (despite the tragic endings of all of those children as well).

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Does Disney also build memorials to cast members who are killed while working? If so, are these behind the scenes?

Keep in mind this lighthouse will be linked to a specific foundation.

Captain Barbossa

What happened to the boy was tragic and I feel bad for his family, but I didn't hear anything about a statue in memory of the guy who died after ridding Everest or the person that died after ridding Big Thunder. I'm not against the idea of a statue. I think that's nice that Disney is even considering having one. What I'm trying to say is that some people will not be in favor of this because Disney didn't do anything to honor/in memory of the other guest who have died there.

Goofyernmost

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure I like this. I'm anything but a pixie duster, but to me Disney's parks and hotels are supposed to be a positive, uplifting experience. Even if it's subtle, I don't see how a memorial sculpture fits that notion. At best, it would feel like one of those out-of-place easter eggs that WDI likes putting in their work, that is only understood by those who already know about it; at worst, it could feel like something that belongs in a cemetery.

It also opens the door for a precedent that I don't think Disney wants to follow in the future. Through the years, dozens of people have died at various Disney properties around the world, due to accidents, poor maintenance, natural causes, suicide, or bad decisions. To my knowledge, none of them have any sort of official recognition or memorial. Adding one now raises questions the next time there's a similar event, and about deaths that have happened in the past.

Similarly, I don't like the plaque with the Randy Pausch (of "The Last Lecture" fame) quote by the teacups. He delivered a very important message to millions of people, but I'm just not sure I want to contemplate my own mortality while waiting in line for popcorn. The happiest place on earth isn't supposed to be a mausoleum

My heart goes out to the family; it was a tragic accident that I hope never happens again. I can't imagine how tough the last year has been for them. But I just don't think that this sort of tribute is truly appropriate at WDW
I have to agree. What is to be gained by bringing up such a tragic occasion. Will it make others safer? Will it bring back the child? Is it just a corny way to make people thing that for reasons other then financial, Disney really has a vested interest? What determines a memory? I see that they lowered the flag because of the incident at the club last year. Tragic yes, but, what about the people that were killed in car accidents? Plane crashes? Starvation in many third world countries? It is a nice thought for some, and even though I don't really object, I find it to be less then a sincere concern and more a "let's look good" type of movement.

erikjp

I know this is on a message board so I will take your statement with a grain of salt and not view it as trolling.
I'm not certain how it is inconsiderate for guest of a corporation that has up until this point not had a plaque memorializing the death of a child to not want to be reminded of the death of a child while at a resort. Should all family members of people who have had loved ones pass away at WDW place flowers and little remembrances through out the parks and resorts like we see on the side of the road. This was a tragic accident and I feel for the family. I applaud Disney for doing this but this is not a remembrance of the child's life for anyone but those who knew him, it is a remembrance of a tragic event and in my opinion out of place if they put it somewhere near the beach at the GF. That's why I suggested a real working lighthouse out on the water somewhere. The parents could still acknowledge their child and the rest of the guests could too or not.

I'm sure there will be many who don't agree with me and that's fine.

It wasn't intended as trolling at all.

I haven't seen a mention of a plaque, only a lighthouse. No location is mentioned. So in reality you do actually support this, since as all we know now is that it is a lighthouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom