Disney to Give Out Free Insect Repellent to Fight Zika Virus

FoodRockz

Was just there and received the pamphlet that was very vague, and can confirm multiple outposts in each park. I will say not too many people taking them up on their offer, from what I saw.

SorcererMC

Bug spray is preventative not curative. A population of people wearing it might not get bitten but the presence of repellent does not stop the spread of virus carrying insects. It diverts them somewhere else. That said, good on Disney for being proactive.

The facts are pretty clear, and I do not think the media has overblown anything to date. This is a horrible virus that can devastate fetal development, so all pregnant women, women planning to get pregnant, and men with a pregnant spouse or planning to get a spouse pregnant absolutely must take notice. This is arguably Disney's core market.

Zika hits Orlando and the ramifications are significant. It does not matter if the transmission happened at MK or EPCOT. It matters that it happens in Orlando.

What I dispute is that the ramifications will be significant in terms of the economic impact (see Miami, South Florida as an example, cluster outbreaks are likely to be limited).

If and when there is a case of local transmission in Orlando, it will matter what geographical area of Orlando is hit. So long as the public is aware, they can and will avoid those delineated areas. And couples at risk will follow the advice of their doctors, take necessary precautions, etc.

ETA: I do not dispute the facts re: the virus as a threat; please see any of my numerous posts in the Zika Impact thread (related sample links below). Thanks for clarifying your earlier post.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/zika-impact.916049/page-19#post-7363613
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/zika-impact.916049/page-19#post-7363885
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/zika-impact.916049/page-16#post-7345101

Last edited:

bunnyman

Here, better than spray:

upload_2016-8-29_11-53-25.jpeg

trampdog

I wouldn't be surprised if the cost would be partially compensated for in Zika funding packages.

It's also awesome advertising for the Cutter brand. The two major brands in this space are Off! and Cutter. Which one are you going to buy after a visit to Disney or seeing this on the news? I am sure they provided the product at no or reduced cost. Win/win situation if I was in marketing.

SorcererMC

It's also awesome advertising for the Cutter brand. The two major brands in this space are Off! and Cutter. Which one are you going to buy after a visit to Disney or seeing this on the news? I am sure they provided the product at no or reduced cost. Win/win situation if I was in marketing.

I actually see no problem with this (providing cans at no/reduced cost), as I would rather individuals use EPA-approved effective repellents containing DEET than get scammed by the fakes that have popped up.

21stamps

I actually see no problem with this (providing cans at no/reduced cost), as I would rather individuals use EPA-approved effective repellents containing DEET than get scammed by the fakes that have popped up.
I highly doubt that it's no cost. Agree that there shouldn't be a problem of it was though. I'm horrible and use repellent that does not contain DEET. But I will get it for our cruise.

Daveeeeed

The protective clothing is ridiculous. No one in Florida, especially Miami and South Florida, is going to walk around in long sleeves and pants this time of year. My son and I will not be wearing long sleeves and pants on our cruise, even to the places that have known Zika transmission. We will wear bug spray, and bathing suits.
If it was like state of emergency bad I wouldn't even go, but if it is like it is yeah we'll definitely be wearing as little as possible to avoid the heat. I guess the only people that would are those super modest people, I don't know why and how they do it though.

Disorbust

Great gesture bit isn't going to change if guests will visit or not. Our OBs at my hospital are reccomending no travel to Florida, etc if you are or or considering getting pregnant. Basically they are tellling their patients its not worth the risk. I do think this will have an impact on attendance. Even though I'm in Wisconsin I have been told by patients that they are waiting to get pregnant until mosquito season is over.

SorcererMC

I do think this will have an impact on attendance.

Let me explain why I think there will be little impact on attendance from Zika or little economic impact, although it is a concern. According to VisitFL data, out of all domestic visitors to Florida (annual avg 80 mln), adults of child-bearing age (18-35) account for 13% 'young with no kids' and 12% 'young with kids in household'. Many of those visitors would be coming from feeder states (eg GA, TX, NY, NC) that also have moderate risk for Zika virus (due to the vector mosquito habitat area). As such, I assume they would have some awareness about the Zika virus and how to prevent its transmission. The northern states have low risk, so then it becomes a question of when do they (eg IL, OH, PA, MA) usually visit Florida? I'm assuming a split between summer and winter months. So, looking towards next summer/mosquito season, it depends on potential locally-transmitted cases in Florida. I would expect future outbreaks in the US to remain limited due to vigilance and increasing public awareness. I also expect better diagnostic tests/ capabilities (ie young couples to be tested for the virus and plan accordingly).

I could be wrong of course (since tourists typically avoid areas of disease outbreaks), nevertheless the conclusion I've reached (so far) is that there will be a low or limited economic impact and that any decrease in attendance would rebound fairly quickly.

21stamps

Let me explain why I think there will be little impact on attendance from Zika or little economic impact, although it is a concern. According to VisitFL data, out of all domestic visitors to Florida (annual avg 80 mln), adults of child-bearing age (18-35) account for 13% 'young with no kids' and 12% 'young with kids in household'. Many of those visitors would be coming from feeder states (eg GA, TX, NY, NC) that also have moderate risk for Zika virus (due to the vector mosquito habitat area). As such, I assume they would have some awareness about the Zika virus and how to prevent its transmission. The northern states have low risk, so then it becomes a question of when do they (eg IL, OH, PA, MA) usually visit Florida? I'm assuming a split between summer and winter months. So, looking towards next summer/mosquito season, it depends on potential locally-transmitted cases in Florida. I would expect future outbreaks in the US to remain limited due to vigilance and increasing public awareness. I also expect better diagnostic tests/ capabilities (ie young couples to be tested for the virus and plan accordingly).

I could be wrong of course (since tourists typically avoid areas of disease outbreaks), nevertheless the conclusion I've reached (so far) is that there will be a low or limited economic impact and that any decrease in attendance would rebound fairly quickly.
I completely agree with this. Also, out of that 13% of 18-35, not all, or probably even the majority, are in family planning stages. Not even all of the 12% 'young with kids in household' is.

SorcererMC

I completely agree with this. Also, out of that 13% of 18-35, not all, or probably even the majority, are in family planning stages. Not even all of the 12% 'young with kids in household' is.

Nor are all of those couples/ families going to Orlando or WDW in particular, it's for all of Florida (eg, Miami, FL Keys, cruises, the Gulf, etc.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom