Disney to expand cancellation fees to all table service restaurants at Walt Disney World

PeterMarcus

For those seeing half-empty restaurants and not being able to get in, WDW1974's staffing issue is the cause. No restaurant can throw its doors open at 5:00 and seat the whole restaurant. The kitchen would be slammed and you'd get tables with appetizers out in 5 minutes and the entree showing up an hour later. Many tables would be worse. All restaurants, on Disney and off, stagger their seatings to give their kitchen time to sequence everyone in one right after the other (if they're lucky and everyone orders within a reasonable time after sitting down). Even if it's later in the evening, if the restaurant is half empty and suddenly gets 40 people arriving in 10 minutes, they have the same problem -- too many orders all at once, so the host/hostesses have to throttle the seatings.

The only answer to seating more people closer together in time, is more line-cooks (and possibly servers) -- assuming there's room in the kitchen. Assuming WDW has the space in the kitchen (as the restaurants seemed to have been more full during the entire evening, yet more efficient in the past), this seems to be a visible symptom of staff cutbacks.

CRO-Magnum

use social media against them. Don't simply here. Organize a group of 500 or even half that to all call George Kalogridis and/or others at the same time and keep calling.

I would if I cared anymore, but I don't. Disney lost me four years ago when our children started to complain that nothing had changed from our prior year trip. They started asking to go to Universal, Sea World, Legoland, Kennedy Space Center. Then I did the analysis on the rapid price increases across the resorts and tickets and realized we had passed the point of diminishing returns. Disney has priced themselves out of the market for any family greater than four; we have six. Now they are systematically maximizing guest spend in large part by catering to people with a cavalier attitude toward spending. I'm betting an analysis was done and they settled on $10/person because it would keep just the right percentage of people from abusing the system while maximizing their revenue. So I have voted with my wallet.

I thought I would be a life-long Disneyphile. Had one of the pavers in front of the Magic Kingdom. Had my name on the waiting list for Club 33. Even looked at Golden Oaks. But now I admire from afar as the time between trips has gone from 4mo in 2003 to 4yrs with our next planned trip in 2015 (for my parent's 50th anniversary). And honestly I'm happier - less frustration at experiencing the decline of the Disney theme park.

Pinkerton

Banned
Unfortunate, but at the same time unfortunately necessary. Due to people making multiple reservations and not bothering to cancel ones they don't end up using.
Probably the same low-life's abusing the GAC. Truthfully, I am glad to see this change and I hope they get rid of the DDP whether "free" or not because all it has led to is very expensive and over-rated meals.

fngoofy

I have seen this happen numerous times. Most recently, families walking up to the podium at Sci-Fi Theather at DHS at 5pm were told the only available seats were at 8:45pm. Then, lo and behold, when we were seated the restaurant was less than half full.

It's all about the labor savings! Those geniuses that run TDO must have somehow figured out that turning away hundreds of customers who are actually willing to pay for Disney's overpriced, mediocre food is a real profit center.

It's about scheduling. If you don't have a booked room then why would you staff for it. Bringing in the wait and kitchen staff to accommodate some walk ups doesn't make sense, or they would do it.
There is a profitability line and the walk up demand isn't strong enough.

Having to get your CC out when booking will keep ADRs to those serious about being there.

ExtinctJenn

You make a reservation for a restaurant, you should show up... period. Or at least that's how I feel. It's especially true at a place like Disney where your reservation means a spot another family can't take. Sure looking at it from the point of view of "I'm just one person" is an option but when you consider the hundreds of people who may feel that way, it's not fair.

I don't see how this ruins spontaneity though. In fact I'm confused by the comments that say that because the very word "reservation" would imply that you aren't looking to be spontaneous.

I get that there will always be extenuating circumstances (people get sick) and I'd bet Disney will work with you if you're considerate enough to contact them in advance vs. just not showing up. Personally I think this move is to prevent those who double book (yes, the online system lets you) and those who need to cancel but just don't feel like calling to tell anyone. On off-peak days it also prevents them from staffing 30 servers to feed 400 guests between 5:00-6:00 and then only 200 show up and they've now paid 15 servers to do nothing.

I just don't see what there is to complain about but hey... if all of those who are ticked off are going to stop going or stop making ADRs, that works for me. Maybe next time I sit down to try to make them at restaurants my family loves I'll actually be able to! It is so frustrating to be told there are no spots available and then see into a restaurant, as others have mentioned, and it's sitting empty at the very time you tried.

But I digress. This is one of those topics that will go on and on and there is no "winning" either argument. :) Just sharing my opinion as we are here to do!

As a side note, I'm curious, do those of you who are staunchly against this put as much emotion into the fact that your Doctor/Dentist etc. do the same thing if you don't give them enough notice that you can't make a scheduled appointment? Or is that different in some way?

Bolna

The problem with "solutions" like this, is really that they are a band aid for the symptoms instead of a real solution for the underlying problem: A Disney vacation has become so expensive that it creates an incredible pressure to get it right. Just as with the strollers for older kids (must prevent from tiring out the kids and lose valuable park time), people want to make sure to eat at those restaurants which they are told are must dos. And they are told that without an ADR they don't have a chance for eating anywhere and since the prepurchased the Dining Plan, they feel like they need to take every precaution to make sure to be able to use their credits.

And instead of trying a way to decrease the stress, now the family has to trek out to their meal at Kona Cafe despite little Johnny being so tired out from the day that he just wants to sleep because it would cost the family 50 dollars to NOT eat there if they don't show up.

This just does not make sense to me at all!

aladdin2007

It's about scheduling. If you don't have a booked room then why would you staff for it. Bringing in the wait and kitchen staff to accommodate some walk ups doesn't make sense, or they would do it.
There is a profitability line and the walk up demand isn't strong enough.

Having to get your CC out when booking will keep ADRs to those serious about being there.

I have to disagree, the parks are constantly packed and the lines they get with people just wanting to dine who dont have reserves are increasingly long, yet they turn them away even though there are plenty of empty tables. The demand is very much there. If your referring to hotel dining locations then thats different I guess, if your staying in one of the resorts then you should be able to eat in your own hotel for breakfast especially without having a reserve every single hour of the day, and not be turned away. Thats a ripoff and telling the customer you can stay here but you cant have breakfast here because you dont have a reservation, for breakfast! really?

aladdin2007

You make a reservation for a restaurant, you should show up... period. Or at least that's how I feel. It's especially true at a place like Disney where your reservation means a spot another family can't take. Sure looking at it from the point of view of "I'm just one person" is an option but when you consider the hundreds of people who may feel that way, it's not fair.

I don't see how this ruins spontaneity though. In fact I'm confused by the comments that say that because the very word "reservation" would imply that you aren't looking to be spontaneous.

I get that there will always be extenuating circumstances (people get sick) and I'd bet Disney will work with you if you're considerate enough to contact them in advance vs. just not showing up. Personally I think this move is to prevent those who double book (yes, the online system lets you) and those who need to cancel but just don't feel like calling to tell anyone. On off-peak days it also prevents them from staffing 30 servers to feed 400 guests between 5:00-6:00 and then only 200 show up and they've now paid 15 servers to do nothing.

I just don't see what there is to complain about but hey... if all of those who are ticked off are going to stop going or stop making ADRs, that works for me. Maybe next time I sit down to try to make them at restaurants my family loves I'll actually be able to! It is so frustrating to be told there are no spots available and then see into a restaurant, as others have mentioned, and it's sitting empty at the very time you tried.

But I digress. This is one of those topics that will go on and on and there is no "winning" either argument. :) Just sharing my opinion as we are here to do!

As a side note, I'm curious, do those of you who are staunchly against this put as much emotion into the fact that your Doctor/Dentist etc. do the same thing if you don't give them enough notice that you can't make a scheduled appointment? Or is that different in some way?

Yes thats different, as those kind are no fun lol, Disney is suppose to be fun and stress free, but its becoming anything but. And my dentist/dr dont dock me if I cancel, who do you go to lol. jk.:)

ExtinctJenn

Yes thats different, as those kind are no fun lol, Disney is suppose to be fun and stress free, but its becoming anything but. And my dentist/dr dont dock me if I cancel, who do you go to lol. jk.:)
LOL! I get your point but it's true y'know? It's not like they are the first to associate a fee with failure to show up to something you scheduled.

Bolna

It pretty much can ruin your day. Personal experience. We had a reservation or Be our Guest on our last trip. It was a hot day ans about three hours before our ADR we both did not feel like a heavy meal there. We would have loved to cancel our ADR, which would have made someone else very happy. But cancelling had the charge of 20 $ for the two of us. So we got back to the MK, waited over 20 minutes for our table and then ordered something light - we both just ordered an appetizer, even though I ordered the most expensive one. We could a horrible attitude form our server (who would have gotten a very nice tip to make up for us ordering so cheaply, but this way did not). And if it had not been for a totally different CM who out of the blue gave us some churros as they were closing down for the night, this would have been the crappiest evening of our (nearly 3-week) trip.

Bolna

Question to more knowledgable people:

According to the ADR FAQ on all ears.net it states that ADRs are not real reservations:

What is an Advance Reservation (formerly Priority Seating)?
Advance Reservations is a system Walt Disney World uses to manage their restaurant seating flow. In essence, unlike a true reservation where a table is saved for your party at a particular time, the advance reservation guarantees your party the next available table.

So, if that is true, no shows would actually not take away from the ability to seat people without reservations? The ADR just puts you ahead of others in the waiting line. So if the ADR people don't come, the normal line would just move faster.

aladdin2007

It pretty much can ruin your day. Personal experience. We had a reservation or Be our Guest on our last trip. It was a hot day ans about three hours before our ADR we both did not feel like a heavy meal there. We would have loved to cancel our ADR, which would have made someone else very happy. But cancelling had the charge of 20 $ for the two of us. So we got back to the MK, waited over 20 minutes for our table and then ordered something light - we both just ordered an appetizer, even though I ordered the most expensive one. We could a horrible attitude form our server (who would have gotten a very nice tip to make up for us ordering so cheaply, but this way did not). And if it had not been for a totally different CM who out of the blue gave us some churros as they were closing down for the night, this would have been the crappiest evening of our (nearly 3-week) trip.

Its not much different for us sometimes when the server finds out were using tables in wonderland discount, they figure they are going to get their automatic tip no matter what no more no less, so the heck with you why give you good service. Thats the attitude we sometimes get,,,we no longer tell them till the end of the meal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For those of you talking about the double booking, not sure what system your using, but in my experience the system will not let you double book within 2 hours in a time period. Unless, you are savvy enough to have multiple accounts and then book under the 180 days. Also, to dispute your double bookings theory this can still happen, just not at the same time....I can find multiple BOG ADRs in a week, different times, still grab them with my credit card and cancel within 24 hours. There are always work arounds.

Now, here's the reason I don't like this. Last week I had a reservation at Be Our Guest during a severe storm. As far as I knew, I had to show up with my child during the storm or be charged the fee for cancellation.

Also, on the fly Saturday, I was able to book a Liberty Tree Tavern ADR and cancel and resort ADR. Will not be able to do this in the future either.

Again, more spontaneity gone.

The system did not allow you to double-book. (I know, i tried)

I just see this as a revenue stream and I think its going to backfire horribly. I think that you'll find less reservations being made and less people in the restaurants.

Double booking under the old system was quite easy. If you did it online all you needed was more than one email address or phone number. Same rules for over the phone. About the only thing you could not do was link them to the same reservation number.

I could easily book a different set of ADRs for breakfast, lunch and dinner for every person in my house.

ExtinctJenn

Well to me though it sounds like you did the right thing here. The other half of your story is the result of a crappy CM attitude unfortunately. It's the folks who make multiple reservations or reservations they aren't even sure they want that my beef is with ultimately I suppose. I still don't get the conflict with spontaneity though although I get how you're associating it for sure. Just, like I said, the very word "reservation" is sort of "anti-spontaneity." LOL

ExtinctJenn

According to the ADR FAQ on all ears.net it states that ADRs are not real reservations:

So, if that is true, no shows would actually not take away from the ability to seat people without reservations? The ADR just puts you ahead of others in the waiting line. So if the ADR people don't come, the normal line would just move faster.
They've defined it as that for as long as I can remember but have always actually treated them as "reservations" in most cases. I think maybe the idea is they say that so that if you show up on time but they can't seat you for 30 minutes, they are covered y'know?

Timekeeper

Sounds a bit like FP and Stand-by... :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom