Disney to expand cancellation fees to all table service restaurants at Walt Disney World

ExtinctJenn

My thoughts:

1) I too have seen people brag about how they made ADRs at every restaurant they could possibly want to eat at so they could pick and chose.
Hopefully this will make it so it's not so dang hard to get ADRs.

2) From Disney's perspective, if they have 50 tables at a restaurant booked and only 25 of those parties show up, that's a pain in the . Sure they can take walk-ups to fill the space but I'd bet they staff based on if they are booked solid during certain hours etc. and the logistics behind this sort of thing... well, I really do get why they are doing it.

3) I'm pretty sure that in extreme cases they can/will be able to make exceptions. I think the key however will be to call and cancel, no matter how far in advance (even if it's only an hour) vs. just not showing up. I'd say you have a better chance of not being charged the fee if you are nice enough to notify them.

4) I've been using the ADR system for quite a long time and until fairly recently never had issues getting a reservation. I had trouble even for our March trip when I was doing the ADRs on day 180. It seems the more popular TS restaurants have been consistently booked (or at least times when people would actually want to eat are) and I can't help but think it's people taking advantage of the online system. When you had to call to book your ADRs, you couldn't get away with having two at the exact same time. The CM would catch it and unless you had a large travel party and were trying to book half for one and half for another, they knew better. For whatever reason, the online system lets you double book. Once that started, if you weren't booking on day 180 you could plan to have trouble getting an ADR.

In general I'm thrilled about this. I think in all our years of going we've only missed an ADR once so I have no reason to be concerned. I truly think should something unexpected happen, they'll work with us and even if they don't, so be it. I'll live. Still... I think the next step is to change the online system so you can't have two ADRs at the same time, or at least not two with the exact same party.

DisneyWorld30th

I have seen this happen numerous times. Most recently, families walking up to the podium at Sci-Fi Theather at DHS at 5pm were told the only available seats were at 8:45pm. Then, lo and behold, when we were seated the restaurant was less than half full.

It's all about the labor savings! Those geniuses that run TDO must have somehow figured out that turning away hundreds of customers who are actually willing to pay for Disney's overpriced, mediocre food is a real profit center.

Back on topic, the 24 hour cancellation policy is harsh, especially if you are traveling with children. There are just some things that are out of your control. Will there be refunds when the reason you can't make your reservation on time is due to being evac'd from Space Mountain, or when you get stuck on a broken down monorail for an hour?

This is what really frustrates me. Example: I was a Club guest at the Yacht Club. I went to dine at the hotels primary restaurant for dinner (Captain's Grille). I was told there was a 30-40 minute wait. I look through the window and the restaurant was completely empty.

I asked why they wouldn't seat me and they said those tables were reserved. So they made me wait the 30 minutes and then walked me into an empty restaurant. As we all know, this restaurant is generally not busy anyways.

I think the podium should have a few tables available for walk-ins and especially hotel guests if it their home resort.

I witnessed the same thing at the GF Café for dinner. Again, typically not a very busy restaurant. An elderly couple went to the podium to have dinner and they were told they were completely full. And to eat at Gasperella and Games around the corner.

Disney really needs to address this situation for their hotel guests. If I am paying $400+ a night for a room, I should have access to my home resort restaurant and not be turned away.

Oh and there is a loophole in this cancellation policy. Two weeks ago, my cousin had Mickey's Backyard BBQ tickets. She changed her mind and didn't want to go. So she called Guest Services asking what options she has. And the CM said, we can gladly change the date for you with no cancellation fee. And if you cannot make that date, please cancel within 24 hours for no charge.

So basically on the date of your reservation, call and ask the date to be changed and you don't have to pay as long as you cancel the new reservation.

COProgressFan

The night of the villains party we had dinner reservations in DHS for 7:45. When We arrived at the park at 6:30 it became apparent we weren't getting in. We called the hotline In the car to inform them. Would have hated to be charged $10 for that...but then we asked if there were other restaurants anywhere on property that had reservations available and were told there was nothing anywhere! We drove to Animal Kingdom Lodge to Boma's, and walked in with a 5 minute wait...the place was half empty. Crazy!

Not surprised. Again, Disney regularly limits capacity at its restaurants because of the dreadful thought that they would be "overstaffed" (according to their spreadsheets) and your server might be overcompensated at $3/hr if they only had to handle 4 tables instead of 6.

midwest_mice

I really like that it is resort wide, however, they should make it 6 hours before the reservation. There are too many variables. There are many(including myself) who will try reserving a table the same day for that evening that may be able to get in or get a walk-up. Usually it is only 2 of us, so same day reservations normally aren't that hard to get though.

PolynesianPrincess

2) Still... I think the next step is to change the online system so you can't have two ADRs at the same time, or at least not two with the exact same party.

THIS!! My sister and I acidentally booked two ADRs for the same day, different restaurants. When we figured it out, we cancelled one of them but we did notice that I had her and my Mom listed on my ADR because they are linked to my profile. She only had her name on hers with 2 guests. So the system is not catching the same name on different ADRs. Probably because people do have the same name as others traveling at the same time. I think names should be required and if the system catchs John Smith dining with Pocahontas and Aladdin on 2 different reservations, 2 different parks at the same time, they should be emailed and notified to cancel one or both will be cancelled. Or require all guests name plus the ticket number or date of birth or SOMETHING that would determine if someone has multiple ADRs.

Lucky

I think the podium should have a few tables available for walk-ins and especially hotel guests if it their home resort.
I suspect they do this, at least for the deluxe resorts. It's definitely worth checking with your concierge, even if the system shows your home-resort restaurant as fully booked.

Lucky

When you had to call to book your ADRs, you couldn't get away with having two at the exact same time. The CM would catch it and unless you had a large travel party and were trying to book half for one and half for another, they knew better.
They only caught it if you booked them under the same phone number.

CDavid

I also truly believe 24 hour notice is more than fair enough.

You really don't think something could come up a few hours before your reservation that would prevent you making it to the restaurant? Sick child? Stuck on Disney transportation? Car breakdown? Or maybe just running late for any reason.

As has been pointed out, with a couple hours - or less - notice Disney can typically still fill your empty table.

muteki

I had the opposite experience.
Me as well. Only ressie I ever canceled late was Akershus when my wife was sick. Didn't waive the fee.

I have no problem with the changes though...people making 4 different reservations for the same time and picking which one the feel like day of happens quite too often. I'd rather when looking for dining reservations not be jockeying for space with people not showing up.

Most of the "good" restuarants already have the policy...has it been easier to walk in since implemented?
I don't think this will help with walk-in availability, but searching for reservations a few weeks out should become easier.

I can understand how locals who need more flexibility to dine on-site might be peeved at this change...but I think that fight was lost a long time ago. If you want to eat at a particular restaurant you need to reserve weeks in advance and be able to stick to it. If you want to eat somewhere today or tomorrow...hope it isn't somewhere specific or you are very lucky.

Last edited:

ExtinctJenn

They only caught it if you booked them under the same phone number.
True but I meant while on the same phone call. Either way, even the online system doesn't care. Same number, same login, sure go ahead and book 5 ADRs that overlap. I really think that's the next logical step... fix the system to not allow it. I remember being able to get ADRs at all my favorite restaurants before the online option came along. I can't help but believe it's behind some of the problem.

WDW1974

Just a question (or questions) to any of you folks defending this in any way: do you live in the real world? Do you know what fine dining is? Do you believe WDW restaurants are that because of the insane prices they charge for largely average food? Or because people are crazy enough to make a lunch reservation for January 23rd on October 2nd?

This is yet more screwing of the guests because guests at WDW will take anything if they get it with a side of pixie dust.

But, please, don't go to non-Disney owned and operated restaurants on (or near) property. They are scary, so leave them for Spirits who can handle a nice meal that doesn't cater to special needs 7-year-olds and, and where the first words out of your server's mouth aren't 'Are you on any of the Disney Dining Plans?'

Do not mistake my tone to be one of upset with Disney. It isn't. It won't affect me at all. I'll book the few places I eat with my CM friends 40% discount, the day before or day of and it won't be an issue at all.

My tone is directed squarely after the defenders of this and the defenders of every other ridiculous change that TDO initiates. I've heard it for years by folks who live and breathe this, and get big paychecks for Mickey. WDW's typical 21st century guest/fan is the biggest reason why WDW is a poor shadow of its former greatness. Keep making excuses and be happy when they throw you a tiny bone like ''we'll give you back the Poly name oldtimers know and love, ....but we'll timeshare the freaking place to do it.''

menamechris

WDW's typical 21st century guest/fan is the biggest reason why WDW is a poor shadow of its former greatness. Keep making excuses and be happy when they throw you a tiny bone like ''we'll give you back the Poly name oldtimers know and love, ....but we'll timeshare the freaking place to do it.''

This! Thank you.

ToTBellHop

Ugh...so much for sponteneity.

As a person with 8-month old twins, this is particularly obnoxious. I would never skip a resie without a call, but the fact that I MAY get charged if the CM I talk to is having a bad day is unacceptable. It is impossible to know by 11:59 pm on Tuesday if my twins will be in a good mood by 5 pm Wednesday. This is such a disservice to guests. How about a policy like this: If you don't check-in for your resie within 5 minutes of the scheduled time, we will give your table up to a passerby and you'll be SOL. Far more reasonable to me. Cancellation charges at fine dining locations are common nowadays and understandable--no one would question it at V&As. But, a cancellation charge at The Plaza Restaurant? REALLY? That would be like Ruby Tuesday charging me for not keeping my phone-ahead-seating resie.

This is in no way meant to improve guest experience and is instead meant to ensure more cashflow. Jay Rasulo has hardly been secretive with fact that the push of all of the recent "additions" is to control guests and force more money out of them. Obviously, if I know there MAY be a cancellation charge, I am more likely to take my screaming babies to the restaurant since I'm going to be charged anyway, thus ensuring that I am exactly where Disney's crowd control software expects me to be. To hell with my experience or everyone else's experience in the restaurant. Don't give me dirty looks over my screaming children either. Disney would have fined me if I didn't show up.

dennis457

For those of you talking about the double booking, not sure what system your using, but in my experience the system will not let you double book within 2 hours in a time period. Unless, you are savvy enough to have multiple accounts and then book under the 180 days. Also, to dispute your double bookings theory this can still happen, just not at the same time....I can find multiple BOG ADRs in a week, different times, still grab them with my credit card and cancel within 24 hours. There are always work arounds.

Now, here's the reason I don't like this. Last week I had a reservation at Be Our Guest during a severe storm. As far as I knew, I had to show up with my child during the storm or be charged the fee for cancellation.

Also, on the fly Saturday, I was able to book a Liberty Tree Tavern ADR and cancel and resort ADR. Will not be able to do this in the future either.

Again, more spontaneity gone.

rhorsley

For a family-friendly resort, I find this to be the opposite. It was hard enough to ensure my toddler would be awake, not eating and compliant during the new limited FastPass window, but now I will have to juggle the FP+, with the ADR, with the consistency of a toddler. Once I tried to cancel because I had been up sick all night (no waiver), another we were in an ambulance on the way to the ER (ok, waiver), the last was an ADR I made for breakfast at 12:04am the night before. When I called the next morning because we couldn't make it I was advised I should have cancelled 24 hours in advance. I explained 3 times that I had only made the ADR 6 HOURS ago. Finally, I got to a manager who was able to go off script and waive the fee. I understand the overall need for such a policy, but exceptions need to be standard and sensible. I'm not going to go to California Grill and spend $200 on a meal the day after throwing-up the Crystal Palace all over my room...I'm convinced the potato salad, which had been sitting on the buffet through a very hot lunch crowd, was the culprit.

awoogala

I do wish 6-12 hours would be given, as opposed to 24.
I do think this is necessary, and I hope it cuts down on double bookings. I also think it will lessen reservations. Hopefully, this will lead to some open walk-ins, which would be ideal. I doubt it, though. Knowing how they have handled things as of late, it will merely open up more reservations for fp+, sadly.

JimboJones123

Just a question (or questions) to any of you folks defending this in any way: do you live in the real world? Do you know what fine dining is? Do you believe WDW restaurants are that because of the insane prices they charge for largely average food? Or because people are crazy enough to make a lunch reservation for January 23rd on October 2nd?

This is yet more screwing of the guests because guests at WDW will take anything if they get it with a side of pixie dust.

But, please, don't go to non-Disney owned and operated restaurants on (or near) property. They are scary, so leave them for Spirits who can handle a nice meal that doesn't cater to special needs 7-year-olds and, and where the first words out of your server's mouth aren't 'Are you on any of the Disney Dining Plans?'

Do not mistake my tone to be one of upset with Disney. It isn't. It won't affect me at all. I'll book the few places I eat with my CM friends 40% discount, the day before or day of and it won't be an issue at all.

My tone is directed squarely after the defenders of this and the defenders of every other ridiculous change that TDO initiates. I've heard it for years by folks who live and breathe this, and get big paychecks for Mickey. WDW's typical 21st century guest/fan is the biggest reason why WDW is a poor shadow of its former greatness. Keep making excuses and be happy when they throw you a tiny bone like ''we'll give you back the Poly name oldtimers know and love, ....but we'll timeshare the freaking place to do it.''
40% CM discounts make some of thr prices near acceptable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom