Disney Then and Now

FutureCEO

Original Poster
So I was watching some home videos and it got me thinking. On how dead the MK and Epcot was in the early 90s. This was about 90 or 91. Seriously, think on how fast the MK pathways empty out during heavy rain and then those remaining people on the paths is attendance back then. And I saw an article that has a price of a ticket as $38 in 1994. The MK actually had trees. Epcot had Figment and Dreamfinder. Both parks had characters without handlers and no lines. The shows were better.

What are your experiences on past and present Disney.

DisneyPrincess5

It's definitely changed drastically, no question about that. Management has changed, culture has changed, finances have changes, families have changed.

IMO it's not the up-building of resorts or water parks or ride additions directly that have changed things. The increased attendance is due to more international travelers and repeat visitors who have made visiting WDW a family tradition who keep returning. I would love nothing more for them to stop peddling DVC, Magic Bands, and special events. We all know WDW exists-relax with the marketing. There seems like there are extremely limited slow times that we've all craved because there's something going on every month to bring people in. Some their doing (marathons, festivals) and some natural (holidays, school vacations, summer vacations).

The way many people parent has also changed. Their child needs it all right now in this very moment and kids expect the most and best. So long are the days of happening upon to Captain Hook in Toontown. Demand for character meets has led to long organized lines andcharacter meals. Now you must sacrifice a Fastpass to wait in line for an hour to take a picture with a goofy faced Woody for a minute.

This is just my perspective. I love WDW and I think we will always go no matter what happens. So I guess they got their job done, eh?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
What I notice now is that I don't take the time out to savor the unique details of each park. I used to relax on a bench, under a shady tree, and just take it all in. (As mentioned by others in multiple threads, many of the benches have been removed, along with a number of the trees.) My impression now is that the "pace" has been stepped up, to move as many guests as quickly as possible, to and through the attractions. IMO, the parks had a better balance of activity and relaxation "back then" as opposed to now.

As for the present, I still very much enjoy the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot. Just seeing all the beautiful flowers and plants, and all the effort involved in presenting this gorgeous visual display, is encouraging. Makes me think that some members of Disney management, realize that even now in 2014, many guests still appreciate a mixture of relaxing attractions, in addition to the thrill rides.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
WDW now is in a poorer shape than during the height of the Save Disney campaign. It also offers less than our early visits, given the disappeared facilities, street entertainment, shuttered attractions. Yes theyve added AK but that now in its second decade is still a half day park attraction wise, afterall its not a zoo.

MikeTaylorSound

It seems like they "let it go" too easily now, i.e. not fixing the Yeti, the rotating space station in the Mission Space queue, the dirty reel on Soarin', the distorted speakers (or blown tweeters) on Winnie the Pooh and Splash, and plenty of other things I can't think of this early in the morning.

So I was watching some home videos and it got me thinking. On how dead the MK and Epcot was in the early 90s. This was about 90 or 91. Seriously, think on how fast the MK pathways empty out during heavy rain and then those remaining people on the paths is attendance back then. And I saw an article that has a price of a ticket as $38 in 1994. The MK actually had trees. Epcot had Figment and Dreamfinder. Both parks had characters without handlers and no lines. The shows were better.

What are your experiences on past and present Disney.

Hey folks.... still love Disney but I have been going since the mid 70s and have seen a lot of changes and not all for the best. My biggest complaint so to speak and it has been said a lot over the years are two things.. The impression that $ is not just a factor but the only factor in decision making and the worst change for me is in the Magic Kingdom and that is Main St. USA.... Just like the title says. It was Walt's dream of an idyllic mythical main ST. In the 70s you could walk down the street and stop into an ice cream parlor, an old time arcade. A hat makers shop, candy store, an old time soda fountain etc. Each store had its own entrance and costumes and charm. It felt like a real old time Main St. Now it is just one big long merchandise shop on both sides of the street to buy stuff you can get at any other of the 100s of shops anywhere else in Disney...Main St USA used to be another "land" in Magic Kingdom that you could wander and spend an easy hour or two in enjoying the atmosphere and it put you in a magical state of mind just walking around. Now it is nothing more then a crowded conduit to get you to someplace else in the park..... Joe in Hobe Sound

GrammieBee

We also have been going to WDW since the early seventies. One change we have noted in particular is the ever increasing numbers of families with infants and toddlers in tow. I's like the chicken and the egg. Is it because of the increasing numbers of young families that Disney seems to be tying everything into their animated movies, or is Disney theming more attractions, rides and character meet and greets based on the movies to attract the families. In any case we have never seen so many fathers holding or stroller pushing very young infants. Equality has arrived.(At least at WDW.)

We agree that the parks do not have the same mostly slower pace they once had. They are very crowded and just about everyone seems to be in a hurry to do as much as possible in as short a time as possible. To be fair, this trend is not limited to WDW.

DfromATX

My first trip was 2006, with a total of only 4 so far, so I have never known "old" Disney. I love it and have no big complaints but I will say I think it would have been really cool to experience the old Disney that I've only read about from the old timers here. I plan to keep on and one day even take my grandchildren. At least my kids will get to say they've gone their whole lives.

Ironace

We agree that the parks do not have the same mostly slower pace they once had. They are very crowded and just about everyone seems to be in a hurry to do as much as possible in as short a time as possible. To be fair, this trend is not limited to WDW.

Back in the 80's when I was old enough to go around the parks with my older brother and sister without the parents it was all about going as fast as we could. It was a different time for us, not staying on property and only going one maybe two days max. Now I have a 3 and 6 year old and it is all about going at their pace, which is not too fast, and soaking in everything. Staying on property and having 5, 6, or 7 days of magic being in the bubble of WDW and forgetting about real life for a week. My family may be in the minority on this but for us it is the only way to truly enjoy the magic of the world. Completely check out of reality for a bit. Many things have changed since I was young, some good some bad but it is about creating memories for my boys and sharing mine with them.

jprieur

I just miss the way the place used to be run, the fact that you knew (beyond the shadow of a doubt) that if a ride was open, it would be 100%. Nowadays you have to wonder, will this effect work, will this speaker even be on, will there be trash piled up in the corner of this queue, etc . . . . .

In the real world paint peels and fades from time to time, trash and dust occasionally pile up and lights burn out - thats the real world. Disney used to be the escape from all of that, after all that was one of Walt's main principles. Now, unfortunately, Disney is no longer the escape from the real world, just a more engaging and entertaining version of it. Still, until someone comes along and does it better, I will be a customer.

disney4life2008

My biggest concern is the shift in "customer service". During the 90s - you truly felt VIP regardless of where you stayed - just being at the park - you were VIP. In the last 15 years (even more so within the last 5 years) - there has been a steadily decline in how CMs interact with guests. In the last 3 years, I have come across more and more rude CMs who look bored out their mind. When I was at sports and saw the guy cooking on the grill then proceed to scratch his crotch and look at me like I was crazy - I was done.

Last edited:

Horizons1

There's no idea or philosophy of Walt in Walt Disney World anymore...unless they're trying to get money from the fanboys. Then they plaster his face all over everything.

I just miss the days when people used to interact with life, not from behind their giant tablet (that obstructs the view for everyone else). I do prefer the WDW of the 90's mostly because I prefer the people of the 90's.

I agree! Disney has always been its own world for me and it's sad to see some elements of that obsession in the parks.

I think adding the fourth park really hurt the quality for all. However, any problem that happens currently is immediately posted on the news/forums so it's easy to say that WDW has gone downhill. 20 years ago people were amazed by the technology/theme of the parks. Now people expect it and have gotten used to the magic. Hopefully they have some plans in for the next few years though, because it's becoming increasingly hard to plan the amount of time spent at WDW, where 15 years ago it was a given.

Pirate665

I think it would have been really cool to experience the old Disney that I've only read about from the old timers here.

This made me giggle. I love being considered an "old timer".

I can say for certain that it's changed all because of management and the focus on the bottom line. I am one of very few who can say they were there when EPCOT, MGM, and DAK opened. I even helped open the Bone Yard at DAK as it was my first position at Disney. Slowly, it's all come to change. There was the feeling when I was younger and throughout the 80's and 90's that WDW was a special thing. That families kinda earned the right to go and that everyone was there because of that. Kinda hard to explain, but let me put it as best as I can.

My dad was CFO of Virginia Life, so we got invited alot of places and things. I was not well liked in my family. But, once a year, we would go to Disney. It made me feel special. The cast members made me feel special. That's what it was. The attractions were great, I learned things at EPCOT. UOE was my favourite. And even after I got kicked out of the house, I still went. When I got out of the military, I went and applied at Disney. It was worth it to me.

Then, after the millennium celebration, it started. I noticed that we were being pressed on dispatches at ToT, the friends I had in merchentainment (now disdainfully called merchandise) were pressed on entertaining to sell items not interact with people. It just got worse and worse. When the 50th came, it was a small break because of the magical moments that were being pressed, but once that was done, and year of a million came, it was back to work.

It's a cattle farm now. Children don't feel special. Last year I heard a kid complaining that because they didn't get picked for something that they didn't want to come back. And the parent was fine with this. It's not the only time I have heard it either. Parents complain about lines, because I guess spending that much time with your family is a pain. And the list-to-doer's are getting worse. They have to check every box off or the vacation is ruined. I once got punched at ToT because I wouldn't get a parent front of line access to a ride because of the wait time. (Which was only 50 minutes. Yes, I have kept records of wait times and incidents for all 15 years I've worked for TWDC.)

The up keep is worse now. With more people means that custodial is overworked. And the fact that they put college programmers on the high shifts burns them out. I have talked to so many CP's that won't come back because of the way they scheduled them. Back in the 80's and 90's it was so clean. I have pictures to prove it. Now, it's when they can get to it. All the rest spots that were on MS are gone pretty much, so people just walk and walk. No wonder they drop stuff and don't care. Disney doesn't care they are tired. This is just getting worse and worse.

So, it all boils down to the bottom line. They want cash and cash now. Parks and Resorts have to feed themselves given company mandate from Iger and his goons. Meg Crofton is horrible and I have more than once stated that she was wrong for the job, Tom is just as bad. They don't care. They just want to see it float on the dime. It's all my opinion, but I really feel that bad management based on the all-mighty dollar has ruined the park finally. Saddest part is I'll keep going, hoping it gets better. But, it won't for a long time.

Glasgow

It seems like they "let it go" too easily now, i.e. not fixing the Yeti, the rotating space station in the Mission Space queue, the dirty reel on Soarin', the distorted speakers (or blown tweeters) on Winnie the Pooh and Splash, and plenty of other things I can't think of this early in the morning.
Good one. The Disney company is apparently not immune to the relentless demand of the shareholders which dictate that every available dollar gets squeezed out of the parks. We're nitpicking, of course, because you largely will only see poor show if you are looking for it (for the most part - there are some glaring faults like the Yeti, of course).

The parks are a victim of their own success, unfortunately - why invest huge amounts when the crowds are going to come, regardless of development? The answer that you're screaming at your monitor, phone or ipad is to sustain future performance and maintain competitive advantage over the rivals down the street, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the budget meetings to see just how many plans get nixed in favor of immediate profit taking versus future investment in the parks.

DisneyPrincess5

My biggest concern is the shift in "customer service". During the 90s - you truly felt VIP regardless of where you stayed - just being at the park - you were VIP. In the last 15 years (even more so within the last 5 years) - there has been a steadily decline in how CMs interact with guests. In the last 3 years, I have come across more and more rude CMs who look bored out their mind. When I was at sports and saw the on the grill cooking them proceed to scratch his crotch and look at me like I was crazy - I was done.
I could not agree with you more. We have noticed this and it's disheartening and sad. I realize that not everyone loves their job and there has been a decline in the work ethic of many people from generation to generation but it takes away from the magic and fantasy of it all.

Kudos to the AWESOME CMs who stay in character and make it a magical experience!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom