1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney themed restaurant- off property

Discussion in 'WDW Restaurants and Dining' started by Dizmunk, Jul 7, 2017.

1. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

Yeah I just dont feel like Disney belongs in places Key West, Las Vegas, Miami, or New Orleans but I would love for the Mouse to build a resort somewhere here in the Colorado mountains!

2. tampabrad

tampabrad Active Member

They tried Disneyquest in Chicago and closed it soon after it opened. There was one planned for Philadelphia and I believe Washington DC that never broke ground.

I remember in the 80s or early 90s they had quite a few Disney clubs or kids clubs. They all closed as well.

I can't really see them doing anything not attached to a park other than dvc and the locations will be carefully researched. I would be surprised to see a new dvc in the states that is not in world or land.

3. DisneyBound2017

DisneyBound2017 Well-Known Member

I've thought about immersive themed resorts, especially in places their cruises go. I'm sure very few people on these boards would agree, but I think if done right it could be really cool. For example, on the cruise to Norway, dock overnight and guests can sleep in Elsa's castle (yes I know Arendale isn't Norway, but they've already connected the two in Epcot).

4. rob0519

rob0519 Well-Known Member

Obviously at that point in time the honchos at Disney thought they could do anything well. Maybe it's fortunate it failed. With the exponential increase in Disney's popularity, they might not have been able to keep up with the demand at such a small location. "IU'm sorry kids, we can't afford Disney World, but we can go get Mickey fries at the mall.".

As for the DVC store. It appears Illinois is a good market for them. My elder daughter actually applied for sales job there. She is in sales and with over 24 trips to WDW, if anyone knows the resort it's her. Alas, she was not hired and again in hindsight, maybe that was fortunate as well.

Cmdr_Crimson likes this.
  5. helenabear

helenabear Well-Known Member

Honestly not interested. We don't go to Disney for the food at all now so having Disney food close to home doesn't really appeal. I don't see us ever going to a place like that just for a "Disney fix"

6. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm saying this because the last thing NYC needs is more tourists clogging the streets, but if they opened some sort of big and very well themed Disney restaurant in Times Square, it would be a major, major success. Automatic built in customer base for people going to see Lion King, Aladdin, and all the new Broadway shows they are currently developing. In fact, I'm pretty surprised they haven't done it yet.

larryz likes this.
  7. Hockey89

Hockey89 Well-Known Member

Outside of V&A none of the sig places would make it in Bos/NYC with those prices... Not good enough.

8. Phonedave

Phonedave Well-Known Member

They already have it - dozens of them. Cheesecake Factory, Applebees, TGI Fridays, BWW, Olive Garden - any place that serves mass prepared food from a central food supplier will get you your fix. To make it super Disney like, just throw and extra $20 to $30 per person in the garbage on your way out the door, then the experience is complete.

-dave

LowesChevy and Hockey89 like this.
  9. DfromATX

DfromATX Well-Known Member

Aww, you just brought back some memories for me. I took my oldest son, who is now 21, to see Little Mermaid on Ice. When Ursula came out, he said he didn't like her wanted to go home lol. Then with my second son, now 14, we took him to see The Incredibles on Ice, which, to be honest, wasn't very good. I miss those days!

21stamps likes this.
  10. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

The Incredibles on ice sounds neat! Too bad it wasn't as good as it sounds.

DfromATX likes this.
  11. ppete1975

ppete1975 Well-Known Member

Disney quest, the Disney fast food, and the original Disney stores were disneys way to make mini disneys and Disney experiences around the US.... Each was a pretty good idea but got cut from the budget, and I don't think Disney wants to go that direction again. A lot of Disney stores have closed and the ones that are left that I have seen no longer have the characters or true Disney feel they are just stores. Disney Quest was dead before it started. Mickeys kitchen didn't have the backing it needed.
    I think the end of malls helped the end to some of this. Mickeys kitchen (or whatever) in my opinion could only work in a mall so that it gets the traffic. The Disney store same thing.

Honestly the fast food Disney, the Disney store, Disney quest... all prob died in the 80s-90s and with malls dying I don't see them ever happening again.

Maybe you could do a standalone well themed mickeys kitchen with characters and animatronics (think showbiz/ chucke cheese) maybe a good 4 d show, an amazing Disney store once again themed and then maybe....... add an omnimover or boat ride that lasts about 7-10 mins and maybe... just maybe it could work.

but they wont do it

KLinder7 likes this.
  12. MotherofaPrincessLover

MotherofaPrincessLover Well-Known Member

Me too. Sometimes I fantasize about that.

NiarrNDisney likes this.
  13. WildernessLodge

WildernessLodge Well-Known Member

That would be awesome! I love my Disney fixes anywhere I can get em!