'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

GLaDOS

We're probably still 6 months until dirt moves (unless engineering documents are already made), and then they will probably build in phases to avoid shutting down the whole area. I imagine the parking garages will be the first phase. Things like the expanded bus loop will be last.

Construction starts next month.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
opening in phases and will not impact existing area/guest
I think they are attempting to minimize guest impact (though I'm sure $ is the primary reason for phased construction) but its going to be a mess during construction- I think that's one thing we can all agree on!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Which is why I asked about the Golden Gate in the other thread. How long does it take to build a bridge...
Building over nothing is easier than building inside a working structure. They also killed 11 people in the building of the Golden Gate bridge. I am sure Disney could speed up the process for you if you don't mind a few people dying in the process.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
One thing I like about the model is it looks very roomy and there aren't any other guests around. I'll have the whole place to myself! But, it makes me wonder if it will stay in business. :lookaroun
Whenever you meet a Disney fan, you should ask if they follow Lou. Depending on the answer, continue the conversation, politely excuse yourself, or run like hell
My response would be "Vaguely aware of him for a decade or so. Don't know that much about him.." How would you react?
Well the thing I like most from the model is that it appears as if the smokestacks are returning to the Empress Lilly
Probably an oversight on the part of the model creator, but I hope not.

Overall, tis an upgrade. I'll wait and see what is announced for the rest of the resort throughout the calendar year before I decide if I think it is an unfortunate diversion of resources.

71jason

Let us not forget that the worst recession since the great depression was going on for more than half of that 8 years. Had that not happened PI would have been filled inside of a year.

Yeah, West 192, I-Drive and Universal have been ghost towns during the past 5 years ... oh wait, no, they've seen explosive growth.

Sorry Master, repeating lie doe not true make. Excuse TDO incompitence it does not.

captainkidd

Has there been any talk on what stores/restaurants will be staying or going?

Rainforest Cafe, Ghiradelli, Days of Christmas, Once Upon A Toy, World of Disney, T-Rex, Lego. Keep those and I'm happy.

Mickey_777

They can do whatever they want to Pleasure Island and the West Side, but they need to leave the Marketplace alone. There is nothing wrong with that section.

Judging from the one photo, it looks like Marketplace will be left alone except for the expansion of WoD if I'm not mistaken.

SirLink

2 reasons. As we discussed before, Disney can spread the budget out over a few years to make Wall St happy. Second, building in a location while trying to keep everything open is a real pain and can suck up time like you would not believe.

Yes and Disney was disappointed with the fact of the FLE that it didn't do as well as they had expected and they blamed it on opening everything piecemeal.

Second this is the shopping complex the sooner you build it and it is done the sooner you can collect your rent though.

It makes no sense...

ebof1023

So I'm kinda confused as to where this is going to be located...not sure why but Idong get where is going? West side east side? I get the art but I just can't figure it out

Calvin Coolidge

My favorite part is the "Central Florida" theme. It'll feel like you're 1000 miles away from Orlando.

But kidding aside...I'm pessimistic that there will be any full-throated aprés-parc options here, beyond restaurants. I have no particular attachment to the Adventurer's Club, I'd really just settle for any bar on property. You can only visit Jellyrolls so much...

themonkeyisthesultan

Concept art looks nice and I'm glad there's an actual timeframe. Means this one will actually happen, I think. I just wish they could have thrown us a bone on the retailers. Not even one?

71jason

They can do whatever they want to Pleasure Island and the West Side, but they need to leave the Marketplace alone. There is nothing wrong with that section.

The new walkway is very necessary. That bottleneck beside the Lego store is horrible. Also, I think more WoD is better use of the space than Pollo Campero (tho Mickey Ds was a better use than either).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom