Disney Shirts!

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
Over in the general discussion, I know some of us were complaining about the lack of apparel at Disney Parks that we would want to buy. Since I hardly ever find something I want to buy there, I've started to make shirts I wish I could buy!

If anyone else does this as well, please post your shirt design pictures!

This is the first shirt I ever screen printed. Its the design from the (now old) Matterhorn bobsleds:
7847597526_b420f2acbc_n.jpg

This one is inspired by Horizons. I plan on redoing it before my October trip on to an retro looking sports jersey:
7847607156_7af7b20c8c_n.jpg

7847601772_96515e5364_n.jpg

The Haunted Mansion wallpaper:
7847610846_5b4c3f8325_n.jpg

And my most recent one I wore to Star Wars Weekends. It says "Greetings from Alderaan. Voted Safest Planet in the Galaxy!"
7847615490_42cdcb0a4c_n.jpg

Has anyone else resorted to screen printing to get there Disney t-shirt fix?

Mickey1984

Can I ask what equipment you currently use to design / print these, they are awesome, would live to make my own, great idea!

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
Sorry for the late response!

I started out with the basic screen printing kit from Speedball, inkjet overhead projector slides, and cheap shirts from michaels (2/$5).

I managed to get a bunch of overhead slides from my last job, but I know you can use vellum (you can find the printable kind at Walmart).

Let me know if you have any questions!

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
Not exactly a Disney shirt, but I got to play with the screen press I got for my birthday!

I'm still making adjustments, but I'm REALLY happy with the results so far (the spot on the left is a water spot from erasing a registration mark):

8654094352_de8e83602b.jpg

(I'm remaking a figment sweatshirt I did a while back with easier to obtain materials [the original was a custom sewn sweatshirt for myself])

teacherlady19

About 20+ years ago, I cross-stitched a Disney design on a black t-shirt. It was Mickey in his Fantasia outfit and pose. I wore it to DLR and got more comments: "where did you get that?" "how did you find the pattern?" The answer was that the pattern was around a lot when cross-stitching was popular, and that I did it using stabilizer on the inside of the Michael's type plain t-shirt. Yes, it took me hours to do, but back then, I was at a stay-at-home mom. Unfortunately, I got too fat to wear it, and had to put it in the giveaway bin. (I wish I'd thought to make it into a pillow, like some have done with old tee's and sweatshirts.)

Somewhere in this house, I have a bunch of Disney cross-stitch patterns....

Has anyone ever had anybody from corporate complain about using their patterns for this? After their lawsuits years ago, I'm hesitant....

Donna

Figments Friend

-

Sweet...i can relate to this !

I also make special t-shirts to wear for visiting the Parks.
I started doing it because i wanted certain characters or attraction-related designs that at the time were not available or being sold as actual shirts by Disney.
It started with a Stitch design i did in 2002 right after the film was released, and it was a huge hit with the CMs at WDW ( where the film was animated ).
Since then i have expanded the collection greatly.

I draw the designs on paper, enlarge them to the size i wish, and then use a homemade lightbox to transfer the image to the shirt.
I then use a thin permanent marker to trace the lines onto the fabric.

After this i then hand paint them with special flexible fabric paints.
The designs do not fade or crack, and will last longer then the fabrics!
It takes about 3 to 4 days to start and finish a shirt.

Here are some of my past efforts...

Here is my latest, in honor of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
Just finished painting this earlier this week. The original inspirational sketch is shown beside it.

This shirt is double sided, with a small version of the famous 'BTM' Mining Company logo on the upper back of the shirt.
Had to show some love for one of my fave attractions ever.

:)

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
-

Sweet...i can relate to this !

I also make special t-shirts to wear for visiting the Parks.
I started doing it because i wanted certain characters or attraction-related designs that at the time were not available or being sold as actual shirts by Disney.
It started with a Stitch design i did in 2002 right after the film was released, and it was a huge hit with the CMs at WDW ( where the film was animated ).
Since then i have expanded the collection greatly.

I draw the designs on paper, enlarge them to the size i wish, and then use a homemade lightbox to transfer the image to the shirt.
I then use a thin permanent marker to trace the lines onto the fabric.

After this i then hand paint them with special flexible fabric paints.
The designs do not fade or crack, and will last longer then the fabrics!
It takes about 3 to 4 days to start and finish a shirt.

Here are some of my past efforts...

Here is my latest, in honor of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
Just finished painting this earlier this week. The original inspirational sketch is shown beside it.

This shirt is double sided, with a small version of the famous 'BTM' Mining Company logo on the upper back of the shirt.
Had to show some love for one of my fave attractions ever.

:)

They look amazing! Where do you get flexible fabric paints? Can you give me the brand name?

awoogala

Not exactly a Disney shirt, but I got to play with the screen press I got for my birthday!

I'm still making adjustments, but I'm REALLY happy with the results so far (the spot on the left is a water spot from erasing a registration mark):

8654094352_de8e83602b.jpg

(I'm remaking a figment sweatshirt I did a while back with easier to obtain materials [the original was a custom sewn sweatshirt for myself])
I WANT THIS! Oh my. Better than anything Disney is selling these days!!

Figments Friend

They look amazing! Where do you get flexible fabric paints? Can you give me the brand name?

You can find them at many craft stores.
They are usually located in the isle where shirt decorating supplies are, such as tye-dye kits and fabric paints. Sometimes they are in the isle with the t-shirts themselves, usually displayed on hangers or special shelving.

They come is several sized bottles and brands, but the two i use come in the smallest sized bottles..about three inches tall.
Don*t let the size fool you...a small amount of paint covers a lot of space.

I have used two brands over the years, Polymark and most recently a replacement brand called Scribbles. Polymark i have used for several years and is the best quality i have found thus far for holding up to the rigors of wearing and washing multiple times. Bright colors that dry correctly hued ( paint dries the same color it is when wet ) and also dry to a smooth finish.
Solid colors, iridescents, and even glitter versions are available.

Other brands i have tried with mixed results are Tulip and basic Benjamin Moore oil base paints.
I found the Tulip brand paint cracked eventually on fabric after a couple of years use...and the Ben Moore paints i used to use when i was a teen to paint shirts with.
This would dry stiff and make the fabric unflexible.

Hope this helps !

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
You can find them at many craft stores.
They are usually located in the isle where shirt decorating supplies are, such as tye-dye kits and fabric paints. Sometimes they are in the isle with the t-shirts themselves, usually displayed on hangers or special shelving.

They come is several sized bottles and brands, but the two i use come in the smallest sized bottles..about three inches tall.
Don*t let the size fool you...a small amount of paint covers a lot of space.

I have used two brands over the years, Polymark and most recently a replacement brand called Scribbles. Polymark i have used for several years and is the best quality i have found thus far for holding up to the rigors of wearing and washing multiple times. Bright colors that dry correctly hued ( paint dries the same color it is when wet ) and also dry to a smooth finish.
Solid colors, iridescents, and even glitter versions are available.

Other brands i have tried with mixed results are Tulip and basic Benjamin Moore oil base paints.
I found the Tulip brand paint cracked eventually on fabric after a couple of years use...and the Ben Moore paints i used to use when i was a teen to paint shirts with.
This would dry stiff and make the fabric unflexible.

Hope this helps !
Thanks so much I'm going to try painting a pair of leggings for my daughter (she want's to be Vanellope for Halloween) and I was worried about major cracking from the regular fabric paint we used in the 80s and 90s

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom