Disney School

UberPlannerMom

So- My boys are homeschooled which is amazing when it comes to Disney because it means we can go whenever we want without fear of missing school. This year though, I feel like it would be silly to start our normal schooling and then take almost 2 weeks off because we are at Disney World. Being ever creative I have decided that means that we should make our days at Disney World educational and our days leading up to our trip Disney focused education. Here is what I have come up with so far: (this is all for my 9 year old. I don't feel like my 4 and 2 year olds missing preschool time is a big thing.)

1. I'm going to have him write a pre-trip report. He will have to focus on using proper sentence structure, spelling and paragraphs. This will also work on his typing skills as well as general computer use.
2. His pre- trip report will include research on things Disney related. Why is there a yeti (even if it's discofied) on expedition Everest? Which animals are common to Africa, Asia, etc.? What time period does liberty square represent and how should it look? What animals are native to the area Disney world is in? Mission Space... He could go to a lot of places with this one!
3. He will read the source work for things like Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh and the Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
4. Since we are dressing as Newsies for MNSSHP he will research the strike and the time period.
5. While at Disney he will keep track of the information for a trip report and will have to make note of the differences between the source work and the Disney versions. In doing this he will get to learn about animals, history, time management, etc. Oh, and he will get to take his own pictures (though I will allow him to use mine as well)
6. When we get home he will get to write a trip report.

So, here's my request to all of you- what has always made you wonder when you are at the world but never bothered to actually look up? What things do you think would be interesting for him to research? What age appropriate source work would you want to focus on? If other people are asking the questions it may make him even more interested in doing the research. Help me out!

Thanks!:geek::)

Chernaboggles

Is he interested in how things work? The statistics on all that's involved keeping WDW running might be interesting. The number of CMs, the construction of WDW (building up the swamp, the utilidoors, that kind of thing). There's also the concept of forced perspective and optical illusions in general. I remember that WDW was featured on an episode of Modern Marvels some years ago, and it certainly qualifies as that. You could also have him look into other man-made marvels, both modern and ancient.

If he likes projects, maybe he could make a model of his favorite land or attraction, either before the trip or after he comes home.

It would be interesting to know how long it would take to really travel to the countries represented in Epcot (traveling from on to the next,in order), and which travel method would be best to use. What kind of clothing would need to be packed for the climate? What currency would we need in each one? Which specific countries/regions in Africa are represented in Animal Kingdom? If he isn't shy of strangers, the cultural representatives would be a great source while he's there.

I remember being about 9 and having a geography teacher do a "road trip" on a big map, with everybody choosing destinations and then learning about all the places one would pass through along the way. It was a fun project.

EDIT: If you have time, I'd love it if you'd keep us updated on how the "Disney School" goes, it's such a fun concept with so many directions you could take!

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

Original Poster
Is he interested in how things work? The statistics on all that's involved keeping WDW running might be interesting. The number of CMs, the construction of WDW (building up the swamp, the utilidoors, that kind of thing). There's also the concept of forced perspective and optical illusions in general. I remember that WDW was featured on an episode of Modern Marvels some years ago, and it certainly qualifies as that. You could also have him look into other man-made marvels, both modern and ancient.

If he likes projects, maybe he could make a model of his favorite land or attraction, either before the trip or after he comes home.

It would be interesting to know how long it would take to really travel to the countries represented in Epcot (traveling from on to the next,in order), and which travel method would be best to use. What kind of clothing would need to be packed for the climate? What currency would we need in each one? Which specific countries/regions in Africa are represented in Animal Kingdom? If he isn't shy of strangers, the cultural representatives would be a great source while he's there.

I remember being about 9 and having a geography teacher do a "road trip" on a big map, with everybody choosing destinations and then learning about all the places one would pass through along the way. It was a fun project.

EDIT: If you have time, I'd love it if you'd keep us updated on how the "Disney School" goes, it's such a fun concept with so many directions you could take!
He is currently working on the start of his pre-trip report which I will have him post up for you. :)

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

Original Poster

His first post is up under the heading Disney School: My 6th Trip to Walt Disney World.

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

Original Poster
He's now done his second post. I am thinking that tomorrow he should write about the Caribbean since we are staying at Caribbean beach... Would that be interesting? I've never stayed there before. What might he be able to look in to that he would then see nods to when we get there?

Upvote 0

MMDVC

This is great to combine Disney and School. I just decided this summer to search for interesting educational dvd's for my grandchildren. I can recommend some new selections I just discovered at my local library. They are made by the Disney Imagineers to explain the science of imagineering all the attractions at Disney Theme Parks. The entire series includes:
The Science of Disney Imagineering: Energy
" " : Trajectory
: Friction
: Fluids
: Electricity
: Gravity
: Magnetism
: Animal Adaptation
I think there are more topics. It seemed like each one lasted about 30 minutes. I was very glad to find them at the library because they are very expensive to buy individually. But they were great to watch with my grandchildren (ages 6and 8)

Upvote 0

KCheatle

To each his own, and I commend you for wanting to make Disney educational. I think the idea of him reading the literature and stories is fantastic. But, I worry that too much analysis or "bluff-calling" on the period pieces may take away the magic from him at such a young age.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom