Disney Road Improvements

mm121

Original Poster
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-road-improvements-20150826-story.html
The road projects include:

A flyover will take resort traffic over the Magic Kingdom's toll plaza, providing easier access to travelers heading to hotels such as the Contemporary and Polynesian Village resorts, said John Classe, a Reedy Creek deputy administrator. Right now hotel visitors must drive through the parking plaza, even though they don't have to pay.

•A reconfiguration of Osceola Parkway at Victory Way, southeast of Disney's Hollywood Studios and north of ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. A traditional intersection will be replaced with a flyover design similar to that at state roads 50 and 436 near Orlando. The flyover would take Osceola Parkway traffic over Victory Way.

•An extension of Western Way to Avalon Road, or County Road 545. Currently Western Way ends around the Flamingo Crossings development under construction.

•A Center Drive bypass to the west that will allow traffic heading south off Reams Road more direct access to Floridian Way.

Reedy Creek is also making steady progress on improvements to the road network near Downtown Disney. A ramp from eastbound Buena Vista Drive rising above the road and funneling drivers into the third story of a new parking garage should open Sept. 8. A half-mile spur extending off the westbound ramp leading from I-4 onto Epcot Center Drive should open in early October.

Coolneal

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-road-improvements-20150826-story.html
The road projects include:

A flyover will take resort traffic over the Magic Kingdom's toll plaza, providing easier access to travelers heading to hotels such as the Contemporary and Polynesian Village resorts, said John Classe, a Reedy Creek deputy administrator. Right now hotel visitors must drive through the parking plaza, even though they don't have to pay.

•A reconfiguration of Osceola Parkway at Victory Way, southeast of Disney's Hollywood Studios and north of ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. A traditional intersection will be replaced with a flyover design similar to that at state roads 50 and 436 near Orlando. The flyover would take Osceola Parkway traffic over Victory Way.

•An extension of Western Way to Avalon Road, or County Road 545. Currently Western Way ends around the Flamingo Crossings development under construction.

•A Center Drive bypass to the west that will allow traffic heading south off Reams Road more direct access to Floridian Way.

Reedy Creek is also making steady progress on improvements to the road network near Downtown Disney. A ramp from eastbound Buena Vista Drive rising above the road and funneling drivers into the third story of a new parking garage should open Sept. 8. A half-mile spur extending off the westbound ramp leading from I-4 onto Epcot Center Drive should open in early October.

Sounds like a ton of money being spent here... Not an attraction but will improve overall guest experience.

hpyhnt 1000

Sounds like a ton of money being spent here... Not an attraction but will improve overall guest experience.

Agreed. Traffic at the resort is significantly higher than it was when the current roads were Built. And likely to only increase with the significant additions coming to DAK and DHS.

Texas84

I think this is the 50-436 intersection they are referencing for Osceola. Looks like this shouldn't be too disruptive to build.
50-436.jpg
The parking booth flyover is interesting. Looking forward to seeing plans on this.

s8film40

This isn't Disney spending money though. RCID will fund this through issuing bonds. Additionally this will represent an ongoing savings for Disney as they will transfer ownership of the roads near MK and Disney will no longer have to maintain them. These were previously the only major roads Disney owned because public access was blocked by the toll plaza.

s8film40

This project has been in the work in some form or another for a long time. This is from my copy of the 1996 Master Land Use plan and similar proposed changes can be seen way back then.

0lJ44Hb.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
These are consistent with the permits that were filed recently for exploratory borings.

"An extension of Western Way to Avalon Road, or County Road 545. Currently Western Way ends around the Flamingo Crossings development under construction."

capture-jpg.98991

"A Center Drive bypass to the west that will allow traffic heading south off Reams Road more direct access to Floridian Way."
h9Co0K5.jpg

"A reconfiguration of Osceola Parkway at Victory Way, southeast of Disney's Hollywood Studios and north of ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. A traditional intersection will be replaced with a flyover design similar to that at state roads 50 and 436 near Orlando. The flyover would take Osceola Parkway traffic over Victory Way."

cL4RhRN.jpg

"A flyover will take resort traffic over the Magic Kingdom's toll plaza, providing easier access to travelers heading to hotels such as the Contemporary and Polynesian Village resorts, said John Classe, a Reedy Creek deputy administrator. Right now hotel visitors must drive through the parking plaza, even though they don't have to pay."

capture-jpg.99175

PhotoDave219

These are much needed road improvements and it's a damn shame it's gonna take five years to build them.

I'm just curious about the bond referendum. The vote t was 17 to 1 in the referendum. I'm wondering who the one was?

Next Big Thing

These are much needed road improvements and it's a damn shame it's gonna take five years to build them.

I'm just curious about the bond referendum. The vote t was 17 to 1 in the referendum. I'm wondering who the one was?
It doesn't need to take 5 years, actually much of it could be done before then. Part of the alternate Center drive access is already paved, actually (I drive by it every day and it's progressing rapidly).

I think they are just aiming to have this all done for Star Wars, so they figure they can take their time unfortunately.

PhotoDave219

It doesn't need to take 5 years, actually much of it could be done before then. Part of the alternate Center drive access is already paved, actually (I drive by it every day and it's progressing rapidly).

I think they are just aiming to have this all done for Star Wars, so they figure they can take their time unfortunately.

The Center drive realignment is probably the most needed improvement on that list. Its a huge safety issue with that blind curve on Reams Road.

The jughandle just past the toll plaza and the flyover they're building probably ranks as #2. There were a ridiculous amount of accidents there before the traffic light went up. Good to see the light is only a temporary measure.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

What road are you referring for Center drive? This is an image from August 5th showing where the bypass will start and they don't appear to be anywhere near ready for paving.

Capture.JPG

Next Big Thing

What road are you referring for Center drive? This is an image from August 5th showing where the bypass will start and they don't appear to be anywhere near ready for paving.

View attachment 108107
That's the road i'm talking about. That was 20+ days ago.

Trust me, I go to work past that area every day. I was surprised as you when I went to work one morning and it looked like they were still prepping and I came home around 6 and it was paved. I'll try to get pictures soon.

Next Big Thing

And to be clear, they were only paving the part right next to the parking lot as far as I could see. And there is now a "Road closed" sign up in front of the entrance point.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's the road i'm talking about. That was 20+ days ago.

Trust me, I go to work past that area every day. I was surprised as you when I went to work one morning and it looked like they were still prepping and I came home around 6 and it was paved. I'll try to get pictures soon.

Wasn't doubting you, just thought you might be referring to somewhere else.

DisneyNeighbor

"A reconfiguration of Osceola Parkway at Victory Way, southeast of Disney's Hollywood Studios and north of ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. A traditional intersection will be replaced with a flyover design similar to that at state roads 50 and 436 near Orlando. The flyover would take Osceola Parkway traffic over Victory Way."

Would this move the current entrance road to the studios allowing Star Wars additions to push past the park boundaries. Are they moving this for improved traffic flow or planning to use the land which occupies the current entrance road?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom