Disney Quest's 'Ride the Comix' set to close this weekend

Next Big Thing

I imagine a new attraction would trump new seating on guest surveys any day of the week. That's just me though.

I mean, they aren't putting too much money into the place right now, why not redo/replace the attraction with something new (say maybe a Star Wars themed attraction to create a draw? Marvel if it's allowed?), market it and boom, people will make sure they don't miss going to DQ on their trip.

As it is now, DQ is just sort of... there.

FigmentJedi

I hope someone's gonna document what was probably the most 90s thing on property.
Look at this, it's like Image Comics-lite
4906600712_216876c297_z.jpg

Nmoody1

I wish they'd scrap DisneyQuest for a revamped marvel or star wars attraction - something to draw in the crowds... even an indoor mini golf could be an idea.. or Disney Springs own Stark Expo with avengers attractions... even an imax cinema would be good right about now!!

BrerJon

On a lighter note I found this related image while trying to remember what "Ride the Comix" was

Oh I forgot what Ride The Comix actually was... I loved that ride!

With home VR likely to take off soon though, it's appeal is only going to get more dated so it's understandable why it's facing the chop.

G00fyDad

Sad, seems like they have completely given up on the concept. DQ as a whole had a ton of potential but Disney made no real attempt (in my opinion) to market the idea. They just expected people to go.

Is this even owned by Disney? I thought another party owned this and franchised the name from Disney. If so then that might explain the apathy towards the building's upkeep and adnvancement.

celluloid

Its a shame that more was not put back into it. It could of done really well had they aimed for the cult following/less popular than blockbuster based characters that were still viable yet don't deserve full theme park lands or attractions.

Tron attraction/Flynn's Arcade and restaurant. Guardians could go where Alien Encounter is. Star Wars related(I know it blows away the aforementioned category) where Ride The comix is/was etc.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

As I understand it, FoodQuest has seating capacity problems at peak periods. Ride the Comix gets extremely low guest survey ratings, as does the seating issue at FoodQuest. Solution = take out Ride the Comix and add in more seating.

Now the strangest thing is this..The attraction itself is on the 4th & 5th floor..
Ridethecomix.jpg

Every time I have gone to DQuest the 5th floor has always been closed and they always have used the 4th floor..They should at least keep the other 2 on the 4th floor as Food quest is on the 5th floor.....Heck Keep the ships for a seating area.. Now that would be great!

Jeffxz

Did this operate on a regular basis? I've been to DQ a handful of times over the last few years, normally on holiday weekends and I have never seen it open.

Maerj

They give you free passes for DQ with a Disney vacation package deal, we got them on our last trip in May.

The first time I was in Disney Quest, I thought that it was really amazing. It would be great if they could update and keep it, especially with it's history.

http://www.cmu.edu/randyslecture/

mergatroid

We go to DQ mainly because we get Premium AP's to cover water parks and this includes DQ. We wouldn't pay seperately to go in but then again, we are both in our 40's. I still enjoy playing some of the video games for maybe an hour or so and Mrs Merg likes the submarine torpedo game, but we probably do no more than an hour at a time in there. Personally I think they could do worse than changing it into a Disney version of laser quest with the video games remaining to some degree, at least it would feel a bit different and refreshed.

doctornick

I actually think there is potential at DQ and it does add value for the WP&M ticket option (and a reason to visit DTD beyond shopping/eating). The simple fact is that they need to regularly update the attractions. That could be keeping the same themes but upgrading the tech or wholesale changing the attractions depending on the situation. We went last year, first time with my kids, and they enjoyed it but you could tell some of the VR needed to be refurbished as it wasn't working that great and felt outdated.

It's unfortunate that the idea didn't take off in other cities, as that would have led to a need to upgrade the attractions frequently, with development costs being shared among all the locations.

Also, I'm a little surprised they haven't added some exclusive M&G to here just to add "value" with minimal work. Once Ralph and Vanellope leave DHS, this would be a perfect location to add them.

Anyway, can we clarify if Ride the Comix is being totally removed (both levels) or just level 5 for more seating (leaving level 4 to still exist)?

CRO-Magnum

I agree there are so many creative opportunities within DQ. The travesty of it is all John Lasseter needs is about 30min to come up with a plan to resurect it, and with the Star Wars, Marvel, Classic Disney and other franchises available, there is NO REASON for it to continue through its death throes. Inject new life or put it out of our misery.

Nmoody1

John Lasseter?! Does he even get involved anymore? Isnt he making wine out west and hiding from Iger cause he knows he is wasting his breth?

CRO-Magnum

John Lasseter?! Does he even get involved anymore? Isnt he making wine out west and hiding from Iger cause he knows he is wasting his breth?

From what I see, no, so I expect you're right, although I didn't know about the wine. What does it say when just about the only creative leader at Disney is AWOL?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom