Disney Quest's 'Ride the Comix' set to close this weekend

71jason

Sad, seems like they have completely given up on the concept. DQ as a whole had a ton of potential but Disney made no real attempt (in my opinion) to market the idea. They just expected people to go.

I think they gave up on it in the 90s. Other than video games, there hasn't been a new addition this century. It became Disney's Dave & Busters a long time ago.

epcot2004

I think they gave up on it in the 90s. Other than video games, there hasn't been a new addition this century. It became Disney's Dave & Busters a long time ago.

Correct, had they followed thru with locations especially in cold climates I truly believe that it would have succeeded. I was on a business trip shortly before the Chicago location closed. My coworkers loved it and it was a great taste of Disney between trips and had no ill effects on our normal trip plans/spending. I emailed them long ago when Philadelphia was still a 'go' suggesting the Niagara Falls area (so I could go every day, it is all about me ;)) and I got a canned response (saying nothing) and the Philly project was scrapped and Chicago closed. It is their money but I still think they missed an opportunity and we, as fans also missed out.

epcot2004

So...close yet another attraction in a place that's already dying a slow death, keep raising the entrance fee but expand food areas because there's not much else to do there?

Sounds about right.

Unfortunately all to common in general. They never should have let Cheesecake Factory Express go. All they have now is a travel plaza grade food court with FoodQuest.

Last edited:

TheRabbit

I agree with all above! I won't be suprised when I read that Disney Quest is closing, most likely due to the Downtown Disney renovation project.

TheRabbit

Unfortunately all to common in general. They never should have let Cheesecake Factory Express go. All they have now is a travel plaza grade food count with FoodQuest.
One thing...we don't know that THEY let the Cheesecake Factory go. Cheesecake Factory might have pulled out, or didn't renew their contract. Just like we don't know that Off Kilter isn't the one deciding to leave EPCOT and not renew their contract, but everyone is so quick to blame Disney. All I'm saying is...we don't know all the facts all the time.

epcot2004

One thing...we don't know that THEY let the Cheesecake Factory go. Cheesecake Factory might have pulled out, or didn't renew their contract. Just like we don't know that Off Kilter isn't the one deciding to leave EPCOT and not renew their contract, but everyone is so quick to blame Disney. All I'm saying is...we don't know all the facts all the time.

True but off the top of my head they have 'lost' more sponsorships/arrangements than they have gained in recent memory. I just have feeling it is more of a Disney issue that the other party. I would like to be wrong.

BrerJon

I *wish* DisneyQuest was on a par with Dave & Busters! It might actually be more popular then. If Disney was more innovative and quick thinking they should have revamped DisneyQuest into their own spin on arcade/prizes/dining years ago.

It seems such a shame that when it comes to Orlando entertainment, in almost every field, Disney is always playing catch-up instead of innovating itself.

wow, so many bad things about this.

More food and dining areas ? really, I have never been there and had a hard time finding a place to sit or eat. more dining and seating is stupid IMVHO

I get them closing the ride, but I always thought it was a wasted opportunity now that they have Marvel and Star Wars. I thought they would eventually change it into a Star Wars type thing since it was a rip off of the light saber thing anyhow.

Disney quest needs more NEW rides or at least updates and them closing an attraction like this. grrrrrrr

NMBC1993

Unfortunately all to common in general. They never should have let Cheesecake Factory Express go. All they have now is a travel plaza grade food count with FoodQuest.

Back when the pizza station was open, they had these garlic dough balls with cheese and oil on top...they were heaven!

That and a side of cheesecake:hungry:

MarkTwain

Isn't there already TONS of unused seating? :cautious: When I was last in DisneyQuest (last year), the entire former cheesecake factory looked like an abandoned restaurant with all of its unused seats. Maybe I was there at an off time though...

minsmk

Isn't there already TONS of unused seating? :cautious: When I was last in DisneyQuest (last year), the entire former cheesecake factory looked like an abandoned restaurant with all of its unused seats. Maybe I was there at an off time though...

Even at busy times it's the same way.. Had Premium passes last year and went down around thanksgiving.. Still pretty dead :( (Btw, all I can hear is Mark Twain from American Adventure's voice when I read your post lol.)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
image.jpg

Mouse Trap

Are people really paying $50+ a head to get into that place? The games on cell phones are more technologically advanced.

Oh well, I guess its still gotta be turning a profit to keep it open.

BrerJon

Are people really paying $50+ a head to get into that place? The games on cell phones are more technologically advanced.

Oh well, I guess its still gotta be turning a profit to keep it open.

I doubt many people buy a single admission, and I suspect the only reason it exists is to bump up the benefits of all inclusive tickets. They want people to purchase more than base tickets, and by including DisneyQuest in the 'Water Park Fun & More' package you give an extra carrot to people to pay the extra, especially those who might not want to go to a water park.

Disney has no doubt done surveys and calculations to the penny that shows they make more profit from people upgrading their tickets when DisneyQuest is listed as an option than they spend to run the place, even if very few of those guests who are swayed to pay for the package ticket because of it actually end up going there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom