Disney Quest to close in July 2017

Next Big Thing

I really think they went with nba over nfl because of the broadcast rights espn and abc, and therefore Disney has for it. Sure espn shows some nfl, but I don't think it is as much as they plug basketball between the two networks.
Just because they have a relationship with the NBA doesn't mean they won't show NFL (which they have MNF), NCCA (which they have), MLB (again, they have), NHL, MLS, etc.

To be a successful sports bar, you need to show EVERYTHING. Crowds normally come to a sports bar because they want to watch something specific. If it isn't on, they will leave.

Yankee Mouse

Just because they have a relationship with the NBA doesn't mean they won't show NFL (which they have MNF), NCCA (which they have), MLB (again, they have), NHL, MLS, etc.

To be a successful sports bar, you need to show EVERYTHING. Crowds normally come to a sports bar because they want to watch something specific. If it isn't on, they will leave.

Well regardless of why they went with the nba, lots of people are assuming it will be a full on sports bar, but I haven't seen Disney say anything like that. Maybe they will show some other sports but it seems like it will mostly focus on the nba, which to me is very unappealing and seems too one dimensional.

"Guests will enjoy immersive NBA video productions and numerous interactive experiences, as well as a restaurant and a retail store,"

Commissioner Adam Silver says the league "can't wait to bring the magic of Disney and the excitement of the NBA to guests from around the world."

Next Big Thing

Well regardless of why they went with the nba, lots of people are assuming it will be a full on sports bar, but I haven't seen Disney say anything like that. Maybe they will show some other sports but it seems like it will mostly focus on the nba, which to me is very unappealing and seems too one dimensional.

"Guests will enjoy immersive NBA video productions and numerous interactive experiences, as well as a restaurant and a retail store,"

Commissioner Adam Silver says the league "can't wait to bring the magic of Disney and the excitement of the NBA to guests from around the world."
Yes, they said that. They said it would be interactive, which is where the majority of the NBA components come in. But it will have a sports bar inside, just like NBA City at City Walk, which showed all sports.

No sports bar can survive by showing just one sport.

Yankee Mouse

Yes, they said that. They said it would be interactive, which is where the majority of the NBA components come in. But it will have a sports bar inside, just like NBA City at City Walk, which showed all sports.

No sports bar can survive by showing just one sport.

Have they actually said that? Or are you basing it on past experiences at city walk? I never went to the one at city walk, and I haven't seen anything beyond the press releases. I will hold final judgement until I see more official plans, but right now it looks very unappealing to me. Also, I doubt I would pay money to go to the nba experience to watch an nhl game so I guess if they included a sports bar it would have to have separate access. Did the nba restaurant in city walk have a cover charge? It seems like this will be very different from what is at city walk.

KDM31091

I think the NBA thing is far too niche, but I imagine it will be part of a greater set of offerings at Disney Springs (I think that's what it's called - haven't kept up with the Downtown Disney redevelopment stuff)

Next Big Thing

Have they actually said that? Or are you basing it on past experiences at city walk? I never went to the one at city walk, and I haven't seen anything beyond the press releases. I will hold final judgement until I see more official plans, but right now it looks very unappealing to me. Also, I doubt I would pay money to go to the nba experience to watch an nhl game so I guess if they included a sports bar it would have to have separate access. Did the nba restaurant in city walk have a cover charge? It seems like this will be very different from what is at city walk.
I'm just basing on what I know about bars and what the City Walk Venue is (plus what the press release said).

Also, as of now, until I hear otherwise at least, I really feel like there won't be a cover to enter - at least for part of it. The way I envision it is they will split it between a bar and "The Experience". The experience may have a charge to go in, but there's no way they'd charge to enter the bar.

Again, I have no knowledge other than what is out there to be know (although I do study Hospitality as well), but I feel fairly confident that it will end up similar to what I describe. I'm not just throwing crap to the wall, this is a very educated guess.

Yankee Mouse

I'm just basing on what I know about bars and what the City Walk Venue is (plus what the press release said).

Also, as of now, until I hear otherwise at least, I really feel like there won't be a cover to enter - at least for part of it. The way I envision it is they will split it between a bar and "The Experience". The experience may have a charge to go in, but there's no way they'd charge to enter the bar.

Again, I have no knowledge other than what is out there to be know (although I do study Hospitality as well), but I feel fairly confident that it will end up similar to what I describe. I'm not just throwing crap to the wall, this is a very educated guess.
That would make sense, but this is Disney we are talking about here so.........

lunchbox1175

NBA city restaurant over at CityWalk just never quite worked right… And is closing.

ESPN and ABC are huge broadcast partners with the NBA. The NBA is huge internationally in Europe and China.

It's a much better fit than most people think.
I would disagree that it is a good fit, in fact, I feel like it is more of a marketing ploy by Disney/ESPN/ABC to try to appease the NBA in helping show they are promoting the game. What happens when someone else outbids them for the NBA rights. Also, the NBA is no where near as large internationally as Soccer is, and they only had a temporary shop for that at DTD. Personally, I enjoyed DisneyQuest, but that is because I like killing a couple hours on rainy days playing miss pac-man or donkey kong when visiting. I understand why others didn't like it and felt it needed to be repurposed, but they should have done something non-sports related, a haunted house would have been better than this is going to be.

Next Big Thing

I would disagree that it is a good fit, in fact, I feel like it is more of a marketing ploy by Disney/ESPN/ABC to try to appease the NBA in helping show they are promoting the game. What happens when someone else outbids them for the NBA rights. Also, the NBA is no where near as large internationally as Soccer is, and they only had a temporary shop for that at DTD. Personally, I enjoyed DisneyQuest, but that is because I like killing a couple hours on rainy days playing miss pac-man or donkey kong when visiting. I understand why others didn't like it and felt it needed to be repurposed, but they should have done something non-sports related, a haunted house would have been better than this is going to be.
What happens? Well then it's a bar/experience with likely pretty decent food (At least the food at NBA City was very good).

I pose you this question: What connection did Universal have to the NBA?

lunchbox1175

What happens? Well then it's a bar/experience with likely pretty decent food (At least the food at NBA City was very good).

I pose you this question: What connection did Universal have to the NBA?
I am not 100% on this, but aren't Universal and Comcast the same company. I know that Comcast Sports Network in some areas carry the local teams, or at least they did here in Houston until recently.

Jon81uk

I am not 100% on this, but aren't Universal and Comcast the same company. I know that Comcast Sports Network in some areas carry the local teams, or at least they did here in Houston until recently.
and ABC (owned by Disney) broadcasts the NBA so surely Disney is an even better fit than Universal?

Goofnut1980

I just went to purchase our PAP's online and decided to only get the regular AP... It doesn't list Disney Quest on the ticket for PAP any longer. We don't golf and never spend time at the water parks. With that said... I guess a normal AP will work!

flynnibus

Premium Member
well.....if an NBA experience didn't work at Uni....why would it work at Disney....the NBA has a different demographic than what I see at Disney when I am there.
The uni location wasn't much more than a themed restaurant- think planet Hollywood but different genre

Bucfan87

I worked at Universal for over a year and never went to the NBA experience there, and I'm a HUGE Miami Heat fan. It was lame. Hopefully Disney can do something interesting and worth spending some time at. I think they can and will.

Next Big Thing

well.....if an NBA experience didn't work at Uni....why would it work at Disney....the NBA has a different demographic than what I see at Disney when I am there.
Once again, i'm fairly certain there will be an all-sports bar within this complex. I'm not sure even the NBA would be stupid enough not to. They do it now at CityWalk, they'll do it at Disney Springs.

71jason

With how popular Orlando City Soccer is around town, I can see that being a draw MLS-wise.

Except this place won't be much of a draw for locals. All about hotel guests (on and off-site) wanting to watch their home team. For locals, parking a hassle and prices ridiculous compared to the numerous BWWs and Alehouses. Also, given the number of transplants down here, a lot of fans have a local bar that caters to their team (e.g. "a Ravens bar" or "a Boston bar"). I'm convinced this is the reason neither NBA City nor Nascar Cafe made a go of it in CityWalk.

71jason

Once again, i'm fairly certain there will be an all-sports bar within this complex. I'm not sure even the NBA would be stupid enough not to. They do it now at CityWalk, they'll do it at Disney Springs.

NBA City and NASCAR Cafe showed all sports. The "official" Yankees and Red Sox licensed bars show all sports, not just baseball. There's no way the bulk of this is anything other than a giant sports bar with a couple NBA jerseys and photos up on the wall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom