Disney Quest to close in July 2017

yellowrocket

Why take away something unique and more "Disney" for instead of a scaled up version of ESPN Zone / scaled down version of Wide World of Sports..

Exactly. That's why I'm upset. Yes, DisneyQuest was outdated and in poor condition. But, replace it with something Disney related! Don't just outsource the space. That's the cheap way!

Bairstow

What will it be like?

DisneyQuest + NBA = ?

hqdefault.jpg

vyst

Which ones? None of them are futuristic anymore as the tech is 15-20 years old so don't fit in Future World. Nothing was educational, it was all designed to be fun. Sum of All Thrills in Innoventions combine Maths and rollercoasters so that is a perfect fit there but I can't see what value anything at DQ would add to futureworld other than entertainment.

Honestly it's basically the same exact rollercoaster sim that was at Disney Quest. You build a ride, scan a card and go on your way. The only difference is you get more customization options with the sum of all thrills ride presumably because the technology improved in the decade+ after the DQ one was implemented. The pretense of it being educational in terms of math is flimsy at best.

Jimmy Thick

This is indeed bad news. I actually enjoyed DQ and have several fond memories of the place.

It being replaced by something NBA related instead of NFL boggles the mind considering the NFL is far and away the most popular sport but I guess when completed I will at least give it a look see.

Jimmy Thick- Star Wars trilogy, till we meet again old friend...

MarkTwain

It will still be a restaurant that serves a fairly decent variety of food. While the theme might not attract the widest variety of people, decent food will help bridge the gap. Worst case is it should free up some room at the other eateries in Disney Springs.

Definitely true. Anecdotal, but nobody in my family is really into sports at all, and yet we found ourselves eating at Disneyland's ESPNzone out of sheer convenience. We were staying at the Disneyland Hotel, and really just wanted something quick for dinner without having to walk all the way into Downtown Disney (ESPNzone is the closest to the hotel).

I can definitely see people getting out of a La Nouba or AMC showing making a similar decision.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Definitely true. Anecdotal, but nobody in my family is really into sports at all, and yet we found ourselves eating at Disneyland's ESPNzone out of sheer convenience. We were staying at the Disneyland Hotel, and really just wanted something quick for dinner without having to walk all the way into Downtown Disney (ESPNzone is the closest to the hotel).

I can definitely see people getting out of a La Nouba or AMC showing making a similar decision.
We have done the same. I will watch football on occasion, but that is as deep as the sports rabbit hole goes for me. In spite of that, there have been numerous times where ESPN has been convenient and available so we ate there. No doubt I will one day do the same at the NBA restaurant.

Bucfan87

I will miss Quest. The scene with Robin Williams as the Genie in the elevator was classic. During a trip in the early 90's to EPCOT my aunt was chosen to do a demo of the virtual reality system that later became the magic carpet game. I spent many summer afternoons there as we had passes. It was out dated and needed something new. Wish it wasn't going away all together though. If Disney wants to do sports though i think they would have been better off doing something soccer related. With the amount of South American guests that come through they would have had way more success.

Bucfan87

Pretty sure Disney Quest's Genie was Dan Castellaneta, who was Genie in the cartoon, Return of Jafar and the Kingdom Hearts games

You are correct. It has been so long since I've been. I never realized it was Castellaneta until you pointed that out.

Nick Wilde

Sooooo..... What are they doing with the arcade games? I'm mostly interested in the vintage ones.... I hope I could get a good deal on one.

Bucfan87

As cool as it would be to own a game from Quest I doubt you'll find them cheap or easily. You can find arcade games online for a few hundred dollars.

WDW1974

DQ was Disney. Disney created 'Disney Regional Entertainment' (DRE) in '96 to come up with these kinds of concepts and DQ was their big splash/flop.

DQ was launched in Orlando in 1998, and was scheduled to open site #2 in Chicago.. with philly next. Chicago opened in 1999.

There was no 'very long time' in any of DQ's timescales. Chicago opened in 1999, and they announced they were closing it in July 2001 - and they closed it in Sept 2001. It didn't even last three years before Disney punted on the whole concept.

Many people have written about why the DQ formula failed.. but in the end it probably was just too expensive to operate for its own good. Orlando bundles admissions into the MYW tickets which helps boost things.

DRE was also behind ESPNZone... which has also failed as a national project. I believe @WDW1974 has mentioned before some exec names that have been involved with DRE that still have a stink associated with them not many realize.

The guy who was a big part is none other than Nick Franklin, whom you likely remember was the biggest champion of NGE and is currently unemployed after Disney needed a fall guy a year ago.

You have the facts on DQ ... more facts include that real estate had been purchased for locations in Philadelphia and Miami. They even dug a big hole in Philly before the hammer came down on the concept. And DD in Anaheim was built with an expansion pad for DQ in mind near HoB. Until about 3-4 years ago, you could see it on original art in the Paradise Pier Hotel. It's also in at least one press kit I have of the resort expansion from the 2000 era.

As for Nick, after DRE ventures in the US all sorta died (except ESPN Zones, which would have been very successful if they were in smaller suburban locales that didn't require $100 million to open, which went on longer). He tried to stay employed/relevant to Disney with mini-regional Disneyland type experiences in places like Singapore and Seoul. Came close to getting the OLC in on a few for Japan, but they were too smart. And right about the time it looked like unemployment was looming, NGE walked in and bought him another seven years of Disney exec employment.

Disneyquest was operated by WDW after DRE punted on the concept (DRE is also part of the Parks&Resorts Division.. so its not like they are remote anyways..). It's not third party operated or leased.

This. Or that!

Last edited:

Yankee Mouse

This is indeed bad news. I actually enjoyed DQ and have several fond memories of the place.

It being replaced by something NBA related instead of NFL boggles the mind considering the NFL is far and away the most popular sport but I guess when completed I will at least give it a look see.

Jimmy Thick- Star Wars trilogy, till we meet again old friend...

I really think they went with nba over nfl because of the broadcast rights espn and abc, and therefore Disney has for it. Sure espn shows some nfl, but I don't think it is as much as they plug basketball between the two networks.

the.dreamfinder

The guy who was a big part is none other than Nick Franklin, whom you likely remember was the biggest champion of NGE and is currently unemployed after Disney needed a fall guy a year ago.

You have the facts on DQ ... more facts include that real estate had been purchased for locations in Philadelphia and Miami. They even dug a big hole in Philly before the hammer came down on the concept. And DD in Anaheim was built with an expansion pad for DQ in mind near HoB. Until about 3-4 years ago, you could see it on original art in the Paradise Pier Hotel. It's also in at least one press kit I have of the resort expansion from the 2000 era.

As for Nick, after DRE ventures in the US all sorta died (except ESPN Zones, which would have been very successful if they were in smaller suburban locales that didn't require $100 million to open, which went on longer). He tried to stay employed/relevant to Disney with mini-regional Disneyland type experiences in places like Singapore and Seoul. Came close to getting the OLC in on a few for Japan, but they were too smart. And right about the time it looked like unemployment was looming, NGE walked in and bought him another seven years of Disney exec employment.

This. Or that!
DisneyQuest is still on the maps in the Philadelphia subways.
image.jpg

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I really think they went with nba over nfl because of the broadcast rights espn and abc, and therefore Disney has for it. Sure espn shows some nfl, but I don't think it is as much as they plug basketball between the two networks.

They went with the NBA because they chose to pony up the dough. I'm sure if the NFL had offered them more money they'd be building an NFL Experience.

Next Big Thing

I can all but guarantee that--decor aside--this place will show NFL, NCAA and probably even NHL and MLS games, in addition to NBA. Both NBA City and NASCAR Cafe at CityWalk did. This will be a giant sports bar first and foremost.

Which is still a limited market--roughly 70 nights a year (plus Christmas week, because this is Disney). But it will be packed those 70 nights.
With how popular Orlando City Soccer is around town, I can see that being a draw MLS-wise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom