1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Professional Internship - Drug Testing

Discussion in 'Employment/College Program/International' started by entrastudios, Jun 11, 2016.

1. entrastudios

entrastudios New Member

Hello all,

I realize that this question may be a bit inappropriate but I am currently in the Post-Interview stage for an Engineering Professional Internship and was just wondering if drug tests are done at all?

If so, are they done before you arrive or can they be done at random throughout your stay?

Thanks

2. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Smells Like Victory Premium Member

Curious if you are studying to be an engineer that has any involvement with safety? Because if you are, then yes this question is totally inappropriate.

NYwdwfan and Bob like this.
  3. entrastudios

entrastudios New Member Original Poster

Nope. It's for a position in Software Engineering. Robotics, interactive systems and web development

4. rob0519

rob0519 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but if you have to ask, you must believe you're already toast.

Nemo14 likes this.
  5. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

Are drugs so important that you would allow it to affect you getting the position you clearly are aspiring for?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    unkadug likes this.
  6. entrastudios

entrastudios New Member Original Poster

You guys are obviously not very good at analyzing a problem statement without giving an opinionated response. Please leave the salt at the door.

TubaGeek likes this.
  7. hakunamatata

Any one of those things except maybe web development could end up having an impact on customer safety.

8. hakunamatata

I will leave my salt when you leave your recreational organic material.

Nemo14 likes this.
  9. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE="entrastudios, post: 7260864, member: 112092"]You guys are obviously not very good at analyzing a problem statement without giving an opinionated response. Please leave the salt at the door.[/QUOTE]

Whatever dude! Obviously the Mouse will test its employees like many other huge corporations, if that is not something you think you can deal with then maybe find a company that has like minded values. If you don't care for the answers that you received from members of this forum than I suggest that before you post a question like this maybe you read the forums and get a feel for what subject matter is deemed appropriate.

Nemo14 likes this.
  10. networkpro

networkpro Well-Known Member

Then is this accurate? "I use non prescription drugs. When will they test me because I can hold off for a while, but I'm dependant on them for x. My needs outweigh their requirements."

11. thehowiet

thehowiet Wilson King of Prussia Premium Member

I do not know for sure what Disney's policies/procedures are for professional internships; however, based on what I have heard and read, if they do perform a tox screen it would likely be done when you arrive on Day 1 and not before. Can they test you randomly throughout? Absolutely, but unless there is a specific reason to do so it seems unlikely.

As recently as a few years ago it sounded pretty random upon arrival and was more likely for positions where CMs could directly impact guest safety. They also used the mouth swab technique.

This comes directly from Disney's professional internship information site:
    For specific roles, an offer of employment is conditional based on a satisfactory result of a drug test result for illegal substances. The company also has a policy of drug and alcohol testing on a random basis or under other circumstances during the course of employment.
    http://profinterns.disneycareers.com/en/onboarding/fl/pre-arrival-information/your-first-few-days/

Also important to remember before you arrive...what is accepted/tolerated as recreational behavior in Colorado and Washington is not the same in other states. Those great states are the exception not the norm ;)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    NiarrNDisney likes this.
  12. unkadug

unkadug Follower of "Saget"The Cult

It appears that you knew the answer you would get before you ever posted.

NiarrNDisney likes this.
  13. s8film40

s8film40 Well-Known Member

As someone who has never partaken in illegal substances l still think its a fair question. I've done my share of drug tests and they can be a real pain. Even knowing I have no reason to fail these things I'm always a little nervous. Usually the places and people who facilitate these don't exactly come off as the most professional or competent and that includes Disney's health services. The thought of something simply getting mixed up and your job hanging in the balance is scary.

thehowiet and TubaGeek like this.
  14. unkadug

You generally have the option of using a more professional service at your own expense.

Sometimes this kind of thing is the cost of keeping a job and is tax deductible.

s8film40 likes this.
  15. wm49rs

wm49rs A naughty bit o' crumpet Premium Member

On a discussion forum?

16. TubaGeek

TubaGeek God bless the "Ignore" button.

I have to imagine that people will look at this thread years down the line and at how demonized marijuana currently is.

thehowiet likes this.
  17. unkadug

Actually there was no mention of marijuana by the OP.

Nemo14 and TubaGeek like this.
  18. TubaGeek

TubaGeek God bless the "Ignore" button.

True. Look at me, assuming.
    You know what happens when you assume: you make an "***" of "u".

thehowiet likes this.
  19. unkadug

and "ming"

20. thehowiet

thehowiet Wilson King of Prussia Premium Member

True, and yet some posters here provided the OP with self righteous responses without knowing any of the specifics, instead of just answering the question.

TubaGeek likes this.